Denis Rodman - best rebounder of all time?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#41 » by KJ7 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:59 pm

But we're not talking about great shot-blockers we're talking about the best!

Of course they were great shot-blockers btw.
jeahwe
Junior
And1: 1

Post#42 » by jeahwe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:09 am

Bol is first and Eaton second in career blocks per game.

And even if they wouldn't that doesn't changed the point - you could be great (even the best) in one aspect, even if you are bad in others.

BTW, Rodman was also great in defense, so he wasn't focused only on one aspect of the game.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,453

Post#43 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:10 am

yea you're twisting our words. We're not saying Rodman wasn't a GREAT rebounder. There's no doubt. But in terms of actual rebounding ability, you have to wonder if someone like Wilt or Russell had devoted all their attention to rebounds, would their numbers have been even more staggering. If they were playing in the same era, and Wilt and Rodman were both told "just get rebounds", who would rebound more? If Wilt didn't have to provide any offense, would he grab more rebounds than Rodman? IMO, yes.
jeahwe
Junior

Post#44 » by jeahwe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:14 am

Wasn't Wilt focused on defense and rebounding in second half of his career?
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:22 am

jeahwe wrote:Bol is first and Eaton second in career blocks per game.

And even if they wouldn't that doesn't changed the point - you could be great (even the best) in one aspect, even if you are bad in others.

BTW, Rodman was also great in defense, so he wasn't focused only on one aspect of the game.

It's definitely possible to be the best at one thing and only one thing. But that doesn't necessarily mean that's the case here.

RE: Rodman - Rebounding is apart of defense. He was an awesome post defender but not a great shot-blocker. He just fought very hard for positioning and tried to get under the players skin prior to getting the shot off. The fact he didn't get up to swat shots meant that he could turn around and rebound the miss.

BTW I'm basing my analysis on actually having watched Rodman and Barkley in depth and knowing their games very well (which is why I didn't mention Wilt).

I'm just saying that focusing on one thing is easier than focusing on multiple things. As mentioned prev with my comment about Barkley/KG not always being near the basket on the offensive end.
jeahwe
Junior

Post#46 » by jeahwe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:27 am

KJ7 wrote:I'm just saying that focusing on one thing is easier than focusing on multiple things.

I agree, and thats why KG or Barkley are overall better players than Rodman.

But we should discint overall basketball skill and one aspect of that skill. Rebounding is one aspect.
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:40 am

jeahwe wrote:I agree, and thats why KG or Barkley are overall better players than Rodman.

But we should discint overall basketball skill and one aspect of that skill. Rebounding is one aspect.

And my point is, should they have only focused on one aspect of their game (in this case rebounding) Barkley would be a better rebounder. KG I'm less sure about but he would be up there.

You're refusing to see how being involved in other areas of the game can hurt other aspects (statistically). So Barkley/KG forcing big players away from the basket to get an open shot actually hurts their ability to grab offensive rebounds. That doesn't diminish their rebounding ability tho, only their rebounding statistics.

I can't really explain it any better than that so I hope you understand my POV.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,342

Post#48 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:54 am

jeahwe wrote:Wasn't Wilt focused on defense and rebounding in second half of his career?

Not as much as Rodman and he was still involved in the offense heavily as a passing hub. More to the point, Wilt played a lot more help defense, and shot-blocking efforts radically changed his position, whereas Rodman would occasionally lapse on his defensive assignments to chase boards, leaving perimeter shooters open, for example.
jeahwe
Junior

Post#49 » by jeahwe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:59 am

KJ7 wrote:-

You're refusing to see how being involved in other areas of the game can hurt other aspects (statistically). So Barkley/KG forcing big players away from the basket to get an open shot actually hurts their ability to grab offensive rebounds. That doesn't diminish their rebounding ability tho, only their rebounding statistics.

I can't really explain it any better than that so I hope you understand my POV.

I understand and agree with bold statements. But how you want prove that? It's possibly that Barkley/Chamberlain/Russell would be better rebounder if he focused only on rebounds, but is that possibility more than facts (numbers) which support claim, that Rodman was better?

In other words - how we could measure rebounding ability in other way than numbers?

And one more thing. In second half od his career Wilt was focused on defense and reboundig. He still do something (much more than Rodman ever) on offence, but I don't think it considerably affected his rebounding ability.
EDIT
tsherkin, Rodmand didn't defend in the way Wilt or Russell did, but he was still great defender. Two DPOTY and many all defensive teams prove that.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,757

Post#50 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:02 am

jeahwe wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I understand and agree with bold statements. But how you want prove that? It's possibly that Barkley/Chamberlain/Russell would be better rebounder if he focused only on rebounds, but is that possibility more than facts (numbers) which support claim, that Rodman was better?

In other words - how we could measure rebounding ability in other way than numbers?

And one more thing. In second half od his career Wilt was focused on defense and reboundig. He still do something (much more than Rodman ever) on offence, but I don't think it considerably affected his rebounding ability.

Well I think the point is that there's no stat that can stay definitively who is better on a skill.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to The General Board