The Defense thread 2024 (Final DPOY vote)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Who's your 2024 DPOY

Rudy Gobert
50%
Victor Wembanyama
33%
Bam Adebayo
No votes
Alex Caruso
3%
Jalen Suggs
No votes
Anthony Davis
No votes
Herb Jones
7%
Derrick White
7%
Isaiah Hartenstein
No votes
Other (List them but remember than Isaac, Draymond, OG etc. are not eligible!)
No votes

Total votes: 30

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,167

Re: The Defense thread 2024 (all-defensive guards poll) 

Post#541 » by SOUL » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:27 am

I don't think one can just say "Isaac can play 30 MPG" because he hasn't for a while now. If he could, he would be doing that lol. Thus, I don't think he deserves any sort of award if he's only doing it with 15 less mpg.. unless he stays healthy the rest of the year and still has THIS level of impact, which is already very high.

That being said, he isn't some savant because he's basically a closer in baseball and just defends, he was legit that insane before he had his first major injury with a bunch of minutes as well, lots of stocks, etc. I actually think in some ways he's a bit scarier now as a defender because he isn't biting at everything and just has people dribbling aimlessly before giving it up, or begrudgingly challenging him.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#542 » by life_saver » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:56 pm

Gobert should be heavy favorite
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,995

Post#543 » by mcmurphy » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:41 pm

basketballRob wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Our best lineup is Wendell, Isaac, Banchero, Franz, and Suggs. They could very well start Isaac a few times with that lineup. I think the goal is to make the playoffs and play that lineup as much as they can. I think his offense will get better. His rebounding, especially offensive rebounding, has been great. He converts his offensive-rebounding into baskets.

Defense is where his special. He can make Giannis, Haliburton, Towns, or Doncic look like average players when he guards them.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

Shooting and offense seems to be a problem with that unit. In what terms is that the best line-up? Net rating?
And like cupcakesnake asked, how many minutes could Jonathan play if there was no minutes restriction?
Read on Twitter
?t=LgzNpsOQcazrz1VLf_1kiA&s=19

**SMALL SAMPLE SIZE ALERT**

In 10 games (46 minutes) the “death lineup” of Dunn/Sexton/Fontecchio/Lauri/Kessler has posted an offensive rating of 134.9, a defensive rating of 105.8, and a net rating of 29.1.

only replacing Collins with Kessler into Utah starting lineup
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,960

Post#544 » by basketballRob » Mon Feb 5, 2024 9:51 pm

mcmurphy wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
Shooting and offense seems to be a problem with that unit. In what terms is that the best line-up? Net rating?
And like cupcakesnake asked, how many minutes could Jonathan play if there was no minutes restriction?
Read on Twitter
?t=LgzNpsOQcazrz1VLf_1kiA&s=19

**SMALL SAMPLE SIZE ALERT**

In 10 games (46 minutes) the “death lineup” of Dunn/Sexton/Fontecchio/Lauri/Kessler has posted an offensive rating of 134.9, a defensive rating of 105.8, and a net rating of 29.1.

only replacing Collins with Kessler into Utah starting lineup
Nice. Isaac has played with other players in the starting lineup and had the same results. They replaced Suggs with Harris for about 5 minutes and had the same results.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,290

Post#545 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:45 pm

About to end the guard poll and switch over to wings. Thought I'd try to get some input before posting it.

Here's my first pass at a top 9:

OG Anunoby
Herb Jones
Jaden McDaniels
Jonathan Isaac
Dillon Brooks
Kawhi Leonard
Isaac Okoro
Jayson Tatum
Aaron Gordon

Other players I think deserve consideration:

Jalen Williams
Ausar Thompson
Franz Wagner
Dorian Finney-Smith
Scottie Barnes
Mikal Bridges
Matisse Thybulle
Kyle Anderson

Also, wasn't sure what to do with the extremely hybrid guys like Giannis and Draymond. Should I put them in a poll with bigs or change this to "wings/forwards". For all-defensive purposes, perimeter oriented wings (like Herb Jones and Jaden McDaniels) have to compete with big forwards like Giannis and Evan Mobley.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,229

Post#546 » by _jin » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:00 pm

KCP needs to be included, I'd probably take him second after OG. I'm not sure Jaden McDaniels deserves to be there, he's been a bit disappointing whenever I watched Wolves and he fouls way too much to stay on the floor.
Jonathan Isaac is an odd case. He's probably the best defender here but he doesnt play enough to warrant inclusion, he has played just over 500 minutes, that's 14 games worth of starter minutes, it's much easier to use all your energy to defend over 15mins per game than doing it over 30+mins.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#547 » by basketballRob » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:31 am

_jin wrote:KCP needs to be included, I'd probably take him second after OG. I'm not sure Jaden McDaniels deserves to be there, he's been a bit disappointing whenever I watched Wolves and he fouls way too much to stay on the floor.
Jonathan Isaac is an odd case. He's probably the best defender here but he doesnt play enough to warrant inclusion, he has played just over 500 minutes, that's 14 games worth of starter minutes, it's much easier to use all your energy to defend over 15mins per game than doing it over 30+mins.
His minutes restriction is finally starting to be lifted and he's averaging around 20 mpg in his last 10 games. If it was the playoffs, he might get 25-30 mpg.

Read on Twitter
?t=fAc3Hx14POqJi_XZrcH4MA&s=19

_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,229

Post#548 » by _jin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:45 am

basketballRob wrote:
_jin wrote:KCP needs to be included, I'd probably take him second after OG. I'm not sure Jaden McDaniels deserves to be there, he's been a bit disappointing whenever I watched Wolves and he fouls way too much to stay on the floor.
His minutes restriction is finally starting to be lifted and he's averaging around 20 mpg in his last 10 games. If it was the playoffs, he might get 25-30 mpg.

Read on Twitter

You dont need to convince me, I said he's probably the best defender but you can't argue that he needs to play more to be considered. He shouldnt worry about individual accolades this season and focus on staying healthy and gradually increase his load so he can be in contention for defensive awards next season.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#549 » by basketballRob » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:44 am

_jin wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Read on Twitter

You dont need to convince me, I said he's probably the best defender but you can't argue that he needs to play more to be considered. He shouldnt worry about individual accolades this season and focus on staying healthy and gradually increase his load so he can be in contention for defensive awards next season.
He won't be eligible for any awards, and I don't think he's worried about it. I'm just pointing out that his defense has looked great in 20 mpg lately. The main thing is to continue bringing him back very slowly. I think he's at around 80% now.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#550 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:37 pm

KCP is in the guards poll right now. He's Denver's main point of attack defender and screen navigator. He almost always defends opponents best guard, plays 86% of his minutes listed at SG (bballref), and at 6'4.5" he's way more guard sized than wing/forward sized.

I think you have to make a better case against Jaden, considering his pedigree as the primary stopper on by far the league's best defense. You're right that he does foul a lot for a wing, and some of that is a lack of discipline. But it's not like he's fouling off the charts. The Wolves ask him to be super aggressive against the league's biggest stars. His foul rate is similar to other aggressive perimeter stoppers like Lu Dort, Anthony Black, Jalen Suggs, Kris Dunn, Dillon Brooks, and Ausar Thompson.

Isaac's minutes have been trending up. He's been more of a 20mpg player lately and is the best per minute defender in the NBA. It is easier to defend harder in less minutes but A) No one else is doing that, and B) Before the injuries, Isaac was bringing similar defensive impact in bigger minutes. He's not going to be eligible for the all-defense team though, so I probably shouldn't include him in the poll.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,670

Post#551 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,680

Re: The Defense thread 2024 (currently voting all-D wings) 

Post#552 » by bisme37 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,113

Post#553 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:34 pm

Is JJJ not a wing?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,670

Post#554 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:37 pm

Does this count as good defense?

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Satch
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#555 » by Satch » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:05 pm

Klomp wrote:Does this count as good defense?

Read on Twitter

Its a one four zero zone thats needs some refinement
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,250

Post#556 » by firedavidkahn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Obvious Rudy is ridiculous but check out Wemby. :o Finally started to find his grove lately. Dude is going to be prime Rudy on defense while probably being the best offensive player in the league when he gets in his prime. Scary
eric365
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#557 » by eric365 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:
Read on Twitter

Obvious Rudy is ridiculous but check out Wemby. :o Finally started to find his grove lately. Dude is going to be prime Rudy on defense while probably being the best offensive player in the league when he gets in his prime. Scary

French national team will have 45 - 40 scores at the olympics :D
All time great defense but G league level point guard
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#558 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:49 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:
Read on Twitter

Starting as soon as next year, DPOY will be Wemby's to lose every year. The minute San Antonio puts an average defensive personnel around him, it's just going to be over.

There has simply never been this combination of length, mobility, balance, and reaction speed before.

mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,995

Post#559 » by mcmurphy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:01 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:
Read on Twitter

where are in this graph Porzingis and Kessler?
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,250

Post#560 » by firedavidkahn » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:16 am

mcmurphy wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:
Read on Twitter

where are in this graph Porzingis and Kessler?

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board