Safe to say, Chet "Hologram" Holgrem > Paolo Banchero

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

TimDunkin
Freshman
And1: 148

Re: Safe to say, Chet "Hologram" Holgrem > Paolo Banchero 

Post#561 » by TimDunkin » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:58 pm

MAGICian619 wrote:
TimDunkin wrote:To be fair, they aren't being compared against each other since they aren't in the same conference. If Paolo was in the West, I'm not sure he'd be an all star this year either.

Not so sure about that.

Paolo Banchero
23.0 ppg
7.0 rpg
5.0 apg
(21 year old 1st option on team)

vs

Paul George
23.0 ppg
5.5 rpg
3.5 apg
(33 year old 3rd option on team)

Sure, but look at the other players left off in the West:

Domantas Sabonis: 19.9 ppg, 13 rpg, 8 apg; Alperen Sengun: 21.7 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 5.1 apg. Both with significantly higher efficiency.

I'm not saying Paolo is better or worse than any of these people - just pointing out it's not actually a direct comparison and he wouldn't be a lock for a Western conference all-star birth.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#562 » by zero rings » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:24 pm

MAGICian619 wrote:
TimDunkin wrote:To be fair, they aren't being compared against each other since they aren't in the same conference. If Paolo was in the West, I'm not sure he'd be an all star this year either.

Not so sure about that.

Paolo Banchero
23.0 ppg
7.0 rpg
5.0 apg

vs

Paul George
23.0 ppg
5.5 rpg
3.5 apg

Paolo Banchero
54 TS%
NetRTG: -1.8
On/off: -8.6

Paul George
60.4 TS%
NetRTG: +11.1
On/off: +12.3
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#563 » by timO » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:37 pm

MAGICian619 wrote:

Not so sure about that.

Paolo Banchero
23.0 ppg
7.0 rpg
5.0 apg

vs

Paul George
23.0 ppg
5.5 rpg
3.5 apg

:lol: :lol:

banchero 54%TS 25-23 #8 17 per

george 60%TS 31-15 #3 19 per

and george is not deserving too, sabonis and even fox and markkanen are better
timO
Assistant Coach

Post#564 » by timO » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:42 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:This thread deserved to be locked. All it does is bait people into useless arguments.

we can fusion it with holgram>banchero>wemba
timO
Assistant Coach

Post#565 » by timO » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:23 pm

last duel today
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,350

Post#566 » by WestGOAT » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:04 am

Chet showing who's boss, was a defensive menace against the Magic and had the highest +/- (+15) amongst players playing more than 30 mins.

spotted in Bologna
timO
Assistant Coach

Post#567 » by timO » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:25 am

Chet likes to be fluid with the offense, next year maybe hes more selfish and will be no debate.
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 383

Post#568 » by msmoore66 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:59 am

I’m not sure there is a debate. Or that there needs to be a debate. I mean sure debate for the sake of debate. I debate that it would be better to have both you silly billys!
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 4,030

Post#569 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:18 pm

Some people clearly don't understand the concepts of first option, second option, role player, USG, gravity, etc...
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#570 » by QingJames » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:49 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Some people clearly don't understand the concepts of first option, second option, role player, USG, gravity, etc...

Chet is a defensive anchor rim protector with excellent shooting that allows a team to play true 5 out and would fit on literally any team in the league and immediately make them better. It’s also very easy to see how his offense scales with usage as he can get his buckets in many ways efficiently.

Vs. an inefficient, ball dominant bully ball player who isn’t effective without the ball in his hands. The reason Chet is so clearly better than Paolo is because he doesn’t NEED to be the first option to make a positive impact on your team, but he has the offensive repertoire to take the second most usage on the team if necessary. Whereas if you are taking Paolo on your team, you are building your offense around him as the top usage guy. Because, again, he’s useless off ball (currently).
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,996

Re: Safe to say, Chet 

Post#571 » by Rainwater » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:19 pm

QingJames wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:Some people clearly don't understand the concepts of first option, second option, role player, USG, gravity, etc...

Chet is a defensive anchor rim protector with excellent shooting that allows a team to play true 5 out and would fit on literally any team in the league and immediately make them better. It’s also very easy to see how his offense scales with usage as he can get his buckets in many ways efficiently.

Vs. an inefficient, ball dominant bully ball player who isn’t effective without the ball in his hands. The reason Chet is so clearly better than Paolo is because he doesn’t NEED to be the first option to make a positive impact on your team, but he has the offensive repertoire to take the second most usage on the team if necessary. Whereas if you are taking Paolo on your team, you are building your offense around him as the top usage guy. Because, again, he’s useless off ball (currently).

Using this idea most superstars, unless your name is Steph Curry, are useless offensively without the ball in their hands. The vast majority of players are superstars due to the one on one creativity and their ability to create for others.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#572 » by slick_watts » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:29 pm

i think chet is better right now for sure, but he's also quite a bit older. paolo's game is immature. he takes far too many mid-range shots that he's not effective at hitting- while chet is mostly limited to participating in what he's good at. some of that might be differences in situation but watching the game last night, it does appear to me that paolo actively seeks out those mid-range looks irrespective of spacing, etc.

so i wouldn't bet the house on chet being better than paolo forever. we've seen plenty of guys like paolo with that sort of size and handle develop into world beaters. but i'd feel safe picking chet now in the future with nothing at stake but my reputation :)
TheShow2021
Junior
And1: 570

Post#573 » by TheShow2021 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:31 pm

I think it's insane that Bill Simmons had Paolo number 8 on his trade value list, when he isn't even the best player on his own team.

Franz Wagner has a NetRtg of 9.29 when Paolo is off the court (while Paolo is -5.21 with Franz off). He is a better offensive and defensive player than Paolo.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,688

Post#574 » by orlando_joe » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:58 pm

what % of time with the ball is chet doubled? and chet is not close to top player on his team that other team plans to stop..i mean do teams plan stop chet and you win the game? i think not..i mean he scored next to nothing till 4th when game was over and he was left wide open ...sure cant give him ball at top and say go get a bucket time after time...maybe once a game
mo wagner bully balled the guy he better get in the weight room ...glass breaks easy
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,862

Post#575 » by sikma42 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:06 pm

orlando_joe wrote:what % of time with the ball is chet doubled? and chet is not close to top player on his team that other team plans to stop..i mean do teams plan stop chet and you win the game? i think not..i mean he scored next to nothing till 4th when game was over and he was left wide open ...sure cant give him ball at top and say go get a bucket time after time...maybe once a game
mo wagner bully balled the guy he better get in the weight room ...glass breaks easy

I think Chet is better than Paulo because of his defensive presence. However, the issue with Chet going forward will be can he hold up as a 5 in the playoff against top bigs. Will his rebounding be enough? Can he handle the matchups with AD, Embiid and Jokic? If they have to play him with another big then his value decreases a bit in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#576 » by Rainwater » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:27 pm

TheShow2021 wrote:I think it's insane that Bill Simmons had Paolo number 8 on his trade value list, when he isn't even the best player on his own team.

Franz Wagner has a NetRtg of 9.29 when Paolo is off the court (while Paolo is -5.21 with Franz off). He is a better offensive and defensive player than Paolo.

People keep saying this but if you watch the games Paolo is the better player. Most plays are ran through Paolo and Paolo is pretty much creating for everyone including Franz (this is not to say that Franz doesn’t create his own shot). And the fact that Paolo is consistently doubled shows how much he is feared. There is a reason why coaches, players, and those in media voted for Paolo as an all star.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,688

Post#577 » by orlando_joe » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:41 pm

WestGOAT wrote:Chet showing who's boss, was a defensive menace against the Magic and had the highest +/- (+15) amongst players playing more than 30 mins.

oh man he blocked a 6ft cole and should have been called for a foul and on wagner ..show the plays mo wagner just bullied him..
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#578 » by Rainwater » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:49 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:Chet showing who's boss, was a defensive menace against the Magic and had the highest +/- (+15) amongst players playing more than 30 mins.

oh man he blocked a 6ft cole and should have been called for a foul and on wagner ..show the plays mo wagner just bullied him..

Wagner did beat him up down low, shocked the Magic didn’t take advantage of that match up more.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,966

Post#579 » by basketballRob » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:00 pm

Franz played one of his worst games of the season. He missed several open shots and made some bad passes.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
lethalizer
Junior
And1: 305

Re: Safe to say, Chet 

Post#580 » by lethalizer » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:28 pm

basketballRob wrote:Franz played one of his worst games of the season. He missed several open shots and made some bad passes.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

So according to your one game evaluation which should settle all the debates, basically Franz is a scrub, and JDub is the best player from the Paolo/Chet draftclass. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Return to The General Board