Has such a hyped team ever had a title window close as fast as the current Clippers?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Is the Clippers title window already closing?

They never had a title window with Kawhi/PG
24%
Yes, it's closing
33%
No, they will remain title contenders
43%

Total votes: 96

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,253

Re: Has such a hyped team ever had a title window close as fast as the current Clippers? 

Post#61 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Dupp wrote:Just when you thought clips fan couldnt embarrass himself any more.

Long Live ClipsFan
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 30,103

Re: Has such a hyped team ever had a title window close as fast as the current Clippers? 

Post#62 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:I do love that he's picked the team with 16 first round picks out of all other 28, 29 teams.

Might also have something to do with a guy named SGA :D . The picks are very nice and I trust Presti to rebuild. I also really like Dort and Bazley. Main reason OKC though is because I was a big SGA fan much earlier than 99% of people. I believed in him from the second we drafted him. I was hyping him since day 1 as you know. I want to see it through. I think if OKC does a great job building around him he will his entire prime there, maybe the rest of his career and become a hometown hero like Dirk did in Dallas.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#63 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:41 pm

Beethoven wrote:Is your new name going to be ThunderFanSince2021 ? I'm curious really

Actually yes, but Howard said that was too many characters ( I didn't pay attention to the cap). The pending name now is OKCSinceSGA.

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,395

Post#64 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:43 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:I do love that he's picked the team with 16 first round picks out of all other 28, 29 teams.

Might also have something to do with a guy named SGA :D . The picks are very nice and I trust Presti to rebuild. I also really like Dort and Bazley. Main reason OKC though is because I was a big SGA fan much earlier than 99% of people. I believed in him from the second we drafted him. I was hyping him since day 1 as you know. I want to see it through. I think if OKC does a great job building around him he will his entire prime there, maybe the rest of his career and become a hometown hero like Dirk did in Dallas.

Yeah... SGA is from my hometown and even I would never consider switching loyalties, but sure.
Vladimir777
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#65 » by Vladimir777 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:46 pm

Kingdibs19 wrote:
levon wrote:why is this board dedicated to therapizing this dude

He’s 16, lighten up

Wait...really? So many things wrong with his username then, haha.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,668

Post#66 » by kg01 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:48 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:As a recent EX fan of this team (name change has been pending 4 days) that feels like the weight of the world is off my shoulders since I moved on...

Wait, who're you a fan of now? What's the backstory? This intrigues me.

HawksFanSince01?

:lol:

ETA: Ah dang, I see it now. OKC? :(
king01 :king:
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,761

Post#67 » by AingesBurner » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:51 pm

Bro I think you should become a Jazz fan and know some disappointment......
Ingles is cooked.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#68 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 pm

Sam1r wrote:it's weird how badly they've regressed this year. Last year they looked very capable of beating top teams until playoffs rolled around. This year they look so shaky in half their games. Is it just a regression from Kawhi? He's not longer capable of being the DPOY type player compared to those last few years in SAS. PG also seems to be less effective on defense? Is it all regression? Cuz swapping Trez for Ibaka is literally an upgrade.

It's really eye opening. They started the season INSANE on offense and HORRID on defense. As in 1st ranked offense, 26th ranked defense first few weeks of the season or something along those lines. It was prior to the Nets trade where their offense went to another gear. Then you saw the defense start catching up some to more middle of the pack.

They are still the 4th or 5th best team statically, but the writing is on the wall for what's going to happen in the playoffs. Paul George started the season like an MVP and has now fallen off a cliff midseason (like he does for most of his career). He had 8 points last night. You cannot be paying a guy max as a 2nd option on a contender who can have a 30 point game one night, and 5 the next. Especially one who is a mental midget in the playoffs.

What's just as troubling is Kawhi's collapse as a go to player/closer this year. He's having a great year overall but in the past he was the CP3 type guy who just took over 4th quarters and closed games. This year he's statistically like the worst closer/net rating in basketball in the clutch recently if I recall, and the Clippers EASILY the worst crunch time team in the league this year. Kawhi and PG both lack the urgency and killer instinct. They also lack the leadership of someone like LeBron to hold the rest of the team accountable.

The bigger issue is the roster itself (which I was in denial about a lot because I HAD to believe in order to continue supporting the team in good faith). I complained all offseason about how they CANNOT go into this season with Beverley/Lou as the main guards outside of PG. What did they do? Exactly that. Beverley is constantly hurt like usual and incapable of running the offense. Lou has fallen off a cliff finally and doesn't have a role. They still had value this offseason to acquire a decent PG.

I think what Lue and the roster has done defensively is disgusting. On paper you would think they would be a top 5 defense, or at least capable of it... and they are 18th in the league this late into the season. Unless you're the 2001 Lakers and have legendary duo like Kobe/Shaq... you aren't winning **** with defense that inconsistent. Due to this failure defensively their title odds have effectively been reduced to close to 0 for me.

What sucks the most is this was the PERFECT year to put it together. The league is seemingly wide open, Lakers are hurt, few great teams have taken a step back. Which is what Utah is doing a great job of capitalizing on.

kg01
General Manager

Post#69 » by kg01 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 pm

GobertReport wrote:Bro I think you should become a Jazz fan and know some disappointment......

Bro, try being a Hawks fan. At least you have a couple Finals appearances to reminisce on. :-?
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#70 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:54 pm

kg01 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:As a recent EX fan of this team (name change has been pending 4 days) that feels like the weight of the world is off my shoulders since I moved on...

Wait, who're you a fan of now? What's the backstory? This intrigues me.

HawksFanSince01?

:lol:

ETA: Ah dang, I see it now. OKC? :(

Love the Hawks. You're my favorite team out east! I'm still gonna hype up the Hawks. I just wanna see things through with SGA man. I also now live a 2 hour flight from OKC :).

iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,911

Post#71 » by iamworthy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:59 pm

Clips, you really did put in for a name change!! :o
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,880

Post#72 » by Beethoven » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:03 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Beethoven wrote:Is your new name going to be ThunderFanSince2021 ? I'm curious really

Actually yes, but Howard said that was too many characters ( I didn't pay attention to the cap). The pending name now is OKCSinceSGA.

Well, you had over 20 years of toiling tenure, so that merits a lot of credibility with me.
Here's hoping Shai turns into a long-term , some sort of franchise or foundational player for Thunder. And that their load of picks amount to another golden era run for them.
Cheers
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,761

Post#73 » by AingesBurner » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:04 pm

kg01 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Bro I think you should become a Jazz fan and know some disappointment......

Bro, try being a Hawks fan. At least you have a couple Finals appearances to reminisce on. :-?

I have reminisce about a Jordan push off and the NBA not wanting Utah to win.... :lol: still salty.
Ingles is cooked.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#74 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:06 pm

We all soon with be Thunder fans. The pure sexual brilliance of Poku will draw us all in at one point or another.
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,157

Post#75 » by Johnny Tomala » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:06 pm

ClipsFan don't abandon the Clippers. ThunderFanSince21 won't be the same.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#76 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:10 pm

Beethoven wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Well, you had over 20 years of toiling tenure, so that merits a lot of credibility with me.
Here's hoping Shai turns into a long-term , some sort of franchise or foundational player for Thunder. And that their load of picks amount to another golden era run for them.
Cheers

Thanks man. I still regret that I had to be a fan of the underdog, and couldn't just take the most logical path growing up in LA, getting into basketball right before the Kobe/Shaq era started. All of my friends were Lakers fans and I just had to go ahead and be a dumbass and go against the grain. I missed out on 6 championships by trying to be different :lol: . Good luck to you as well, hope LeBron and AD are back strong soon!

Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,880

Post#77 » by Beethoven » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:23 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Beethoven wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

Cheers

Thanks man. I still regret that I had to be a fan of the underdog, and couldn't just take the most logical path growing up in LA, getting into basketball right before the Kobe/Shaq era started. All of my friends were Lakers fans and I just had to go ahead and be a dumbass and go against the grain. I missed out on 6 championships by trying to be different :lol: . Good luck to you as well, hope LeBron and AD are back strong soon!

I was a casual until Shaq signed. Then I became an actual following fan of the Lakers. aint nothing wrong with that.
Hey, if you like the Lakers, become a fan, or even appreciate and/or live here in LA and have any allegiance, those 6 championships are yours too.
8-)
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,791

Post#78 » by Harry Garris » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:27 pm

Pharmcat wrote:not sure what you seeing. this clippers team compares well with the 96 bulls team in terms of having a better supporting cast around the 2 super stars. These are meaningless regular season games. Come back in the playoffs and see

Your takes never fail to entertain.

The '96 Bulls were an elite defensive team, rebounding team, they had great team chemistry, and they just so happened to have the best player in the NBA playing for them. The 2021 Clippers have none of those things.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#79 » by Dupp » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 pm

As a lifelong fan of the nets it’s pretty lame to see someone do something like this.
kg01
General Manager

Post#80 » by kg01 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:36 pm

GobertReport wrote:
kg01 wrote:

I have reminisce about a Jordan push off and the NBA not wanting Utah to win.... :lol: still salty.

You could always root for Bryan (Byron?) Russell to get at MJ in that 1v1 game he's been tryna get the past few years.

That'd be a double pulled hammy fest waiting to happen. :lol:

Return to The General Board