Warriors should trade Curry , while he still has a great value

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,326

Re: Warriors should trade Curry , while he still has a great value 

Post#61 » by Impuniti » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:27 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:GS can still shoot with any team. I can't for the life of me figure out why they won't just get a real C or any size whatsoever.

Who is this about? :lol:

The coach that has the shortest team in the league yet decides to regularly go even smaller with 3 and 4 guard lineups.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,959

Post#62 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:30 pm

They would never trade curry unless he asked.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,413

Post#63 » by Onus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:32 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
Onus wrote:
Drakeem wrote:Idk, the fans got 4 rings and one of the greatest teams in NBA history. I think Curry has done enough.

TBH if we traded Curry I wouldn't even want anything back. Just set him up to win a title the best way possible. It would just be salary matching needed from my perspective. He's done enough for the franchise.

Jordan wasn't even a lifer smh

But realistically he's a lifer the way it should be. He literally brought this franchise from the doldrums of the NBA to be the most valued NBA franchise. If there's ever a lifer it should be him.

Jordan was a lifer. He just decided to play for the team he owned because they sucked.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,891

Post#64 » by ConSarnit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:You don't trade franchise legends like that. As long as Curry doesn't go full Kobe and try to turn his last few years into a circus then you keep him.

How did Kobe turn the Lakers into a circus when he was mostly injured and LA was playing with very subpar players in the last few years?

Demanded too much money for them to put a team around him, after driving off Dwight Howard & ant other potential FAs with his lack of self awareness; then forced the team to treat him like a star in his final seasons despite being washed. It was a circus.

Thatā€™s the Lakers MO. I donā€™t think itā€™s necessarily specific to Kobe. Their policy seems to be ā€œif youā€™re a star come here in your prime and weā€™ll still take care of you at the end of your careerā€. They use a golden parachute as a recruitment tactic to get stars in free agency. Does it actually work? I donā€™t know. If it gets you premier free agents itā€™s probably cheaper than having to trade a bunch of assets for them.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,214

Post#65 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:53 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Just for perspective multiple publications rate Curry as one of top 10in trade value among NBA players

https://hoopshype.com/lists/trade-value-rankings-7-0-the-top-100-in-the-nba/

That list is silly.

Anthony Edwards is somehow less valuable than Steph. Injured Embiid entering his 30s is somehow more valuable than SGA and Edwards. I would be shocked if an auction of SGA/Ant brought in less than trades for Curry/Embiid.

I don't think Tatum should be above Wemby. It could be argued Jokic/Luka/Giannis shouldn't be either, but Boston in particular would solve all their fit/salary issues overnight while maintaining a dynastic ceiling with a straight-up Tatum for Wemby trade.

Even if we ignored their ages...there's still the huge difference in their salary too. Curry is getting PAID! SGA's deal is far less.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by ConSarnit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:59 pm

Impuniti wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Image

The coach that has the shortest team in the league yet decides to regularly go even smaller with 3 and 4 guard lineups.

They are caught in a bad spot now. Klayā€™s decline and league dynamics has made them mortal.

-they canā€™t play another big unless they are a good shooter. Those are really hard to find

-Draymond and Looney worked because Curry and Klay could carry the shooting load. Klay isnā€™t starter worthy anymore and the rest of the league has closed the shooting gap

-Draymond is pretty much only a C right now so youā€™d need a big defensive PF who can shoot. How many of those guys exist?

Without high minutes of Curry and Klayā€™s shooting the system sort of falls apart. Put another big out there with Draymond and the offense falls off too much because Klay (and to some extent Curry) arenā€™t the same guys. They could play big if Curry and Klay (especially) were still in their primes, but theyā€™re not.

I really donā€™t know what Kerr could have done. Play Looney (who isnā€™t good anymore) with Draymond? Goodbye offense. Play TJD with Draymond? Also goodbye offense.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,107

Post#67 » by Drakeem » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:22 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:

They are caught in a bad spot now. Klayā€™s decline and league dynamics has made them mortal.

-they canā€™t play another big unless they are a good shooter. Those are really hard to find

-Draymond and Looney worked because Curry and Klay could carry the shooting load. Klay isnā€™t starter worthy anymore and the rest of the league has closed the shooting gap

-Draymond is pretty much only a C right now so youā€™d need a big defensive PF who can shoot. How many of those guys exist?

Without high minutes of Curry and Klayā€™s shooting the system sort of falls apart. Put another big out there with Draymond and the offense falls off too much because Klay (and to some extent Curry) arenā€™t the same guys. They could play big if Curry and Klay (especially) were still in their primes, but theyā€™re not.

I really donā€™t know what Kerr could have done. Play Looney (who isnā€™t good anymore) with Draymond? Goodbye offense. Play TJD with Draymond? Also goodbye offense.
Not even as a Raptors fan, I think GS played themselves a bit for not going for Siakam considering how meh the Indiana package was if they're planning on just pleasing Curry as he goes off into the sunset. A star caliber player available for cheap is something you have to jump on as a franchise with limited assets. Dallas did it with Kyrie when his value was low and they managed to rehab value out of him.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#68 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:35 pm

Drakeem wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
dygaction wrote:They should buyout Curry so he can join a contender of his choice as a lifetime service award.

That's too much appeasing to Curry and not enough to their fans. You have to show them they're getting something worthwhile back for the future. Fans are probably not going to want to see him go.
Idk, the fans got 4 rings and one of the greatest teams in NBA history. I think Curry has done enough.

Nobody the quality of Curry is today has ever had their contract bought out to join a contender, at least not with 2 years left on their contract. He's done a lot, but not enough to do something that's never been done.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by ConSarnit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm

Drakeem wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
Impuniti wrote:The coach that has the shortest team in the league yet decides to regularly go even smaller with 3 and 4 guard lineups.

Not even as a Raptors fan, I think GS played themselves a bit for not going for Siakam considering how meh the Indiana package was if they're planning on just pleasing Curry as he goes off into the sunset. A star caliber player available for cheap is something you have to jump on as a franchise with limited assets. Dallas did it with Kyrie when his value was low and they managed to rehab value out of him.

How much does Siakam even change their fortunes? A Wiggins/Kuminga/Siakam/Draymond lineup leaves Curry as your only plus shooter. Slight defensive improvement but the offense probably isnā€™t good. Not a contending team in my eyes.

Curry canā€™t carry the team alone anymore. Theyā€™d need a Curry equivalent player to get back to contention imo. I think that if GSW really wants to contend theyā€™ll need to push all of their chips in on a superstar. If they canā€™t get that type of player theyā€™re going to toil in the 45 win range until Curry fully ages out.
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,284

Post#70 » by CraftylikeaFox » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:

League dynamics? What does that mean? The Warriors won a championship two years ago. Dynamics were the same then as they are now.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,565

Post#71 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:You don't trade franchise legends like that. As long as Curry doesn't go full Kobe and try to turn his last few years into a circus then you keep him.

Ewing and olajuwon want a word with you.

And how did that work out for the Knicks?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,107

Post#72 » by Drakeem » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Drakeem wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:

How much does Siakam even change their fortunes? A Wiggins/Kuminga/Siakam/Draymond lineup leaves Curry as your only plus shooter. Slight defensive improvement but the offense probably isnā€™t good. Not a contending team in my eyes.

Curry canā€™t carry the team alone anymore. Theyā€™d need a Curry equivalent player to get back to contention imo. I think that if GSW really wants to contend theyā€™ll need to push all of their chips in on a superstar. If they canā€™t get that type of player theyā€™re going to toil in the 45 win range until Curry fully ages out.
I would assume to make other moves too. Kuminga gotta be on the block for another big piece. Maybe it wouldn't have pushed the needle this year but having Curry + Siakam and putting absolutely everyone and everything on the block to form a team around those two would probably achieve better results than rolling out Curry/Dray/Klay for 2024/2025.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by ConSarnit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Drakeem wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
That's too much appeasing to Curry and not enough to their fans. You have to show them they're getting something worthwhile back for the future. Fans are probably not going to want to see him go.
Idk, the fans got 4 rings and one of the greatest teams in NBA history. I think Curry has done enough.

Nobody the quality of Curry is today has ever had their contract bought out to join a contender, at least not with 2 years left on their contract. He's done a lot, but not enough to do something that's never been done.

Agreed. There is absolutely zero upside to buying out Curry so it would never happen. If they buy him out theyā€™re left with a $55m and $58m hole in their cap that they still have to pay but they canā€™t trade. Theyā€™d be better off trading Curry to whatever team he desires for flotsam and a 2nd than buying him out. At least theyā€™d get a 2nd out of it. Thatā€™s how worthless buying him out would be.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,516

Post#74 » by ItsDanger » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 pm

Warriors got blown out. Shouldn't everyone be criticizing their style? Or is that only reserved for specific styles?

Analytics failure.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by ConSarnit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm

Drakeem wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
Drakeem wrote:Not even as a Raptors fan, I think GS played themselves a bit for not going for Siakam considering how meh the Indiana package was if they're planning on just pleasing Curry as he goes off into the sunset. A star caliber player available for cheap is something you have to jump on as a franchise with limited assets. Dallas did it with Kyrie when his value was low and they managed to rehab value out of him.

I would assume to make other moves too. Kuminga gotta be on the block for another big piece. Maybe it wouldn't have pushed the needle this year but having Curry + Siakam and putting absolutely everyone and everything on the block to form a team around those two would probably achieve better results than rolling out Curry/Dray/Klay for 2024/2025.

Siakam went for 3 1sts. GSW owes their 2024 1st to POR and canā€™t trade their 2029 1st or 2031 1st because they owe a 2030 pick to WAS. That leaves Kuminga and swaps as their assets. Not to mention Siakam is looking for a near max deal. I just donā€™t see how it would make sense to trade for Siakam, who isnā€™t a great fit with Draymond because neither are floor spacers. So youā€™re left with:

Curry
Wiggins
(Kuminga trade)
Siakam
Draymond

That doesnā€™t look like a contender to me.
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#76 » by bullsaficianado » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:57 pm

The only trade for Curry I would do if I was Warriors is for Booker. Phoenix is in win now mode and Curry to Phoenix for Booker makes sense for both teams. Warriors rebuild with Booker. Phoenix would never trade him though even for Curry so I doubt that ever happens.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by ConSarnit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:58 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Warriors got blown out. Shouldn't everyone be criticizing their style? Or is that only reserved for specific styles?

Analytics failure.

They are paying CP3/Klay/Wiggins a combined $97m. They scored 15 TOTAL points. Pretty tough to overcome.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,577

Post#78 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 pm

Onus wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
Onus wrote:TBH if we traded Curry I wouldn't even want anything back. Just set him up to win a title the best way possible. It would just be salary matching needed from my perspective. He's done enough for the franchise.

Jordan wasn't even a lifer smh

But realistically he's a lifer the way it should be. He literally brought this franchise from the doldrums of the NBA to be the most valued NBA franchise. If there's ever a lifer it should be him.

Jordan was a lifer. He just decided to play for the team he owned because they sucked.

"Jordan was a lifer, excluding the years he wasn't"

He had to give up ownership to play. Thought he had a handshake deal to get his shares back later I think? Not legal under the CBA, but in either case, got screwed on that.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by ConSarnit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:01 pm

bullsaficianado wrote:The only trade for Curry I would do if I was Warriors is for Booker. Phoenix is in win now mode and Curry to Phoenix for Booker makes sense for both teams. Warriors rebuild with Booker. Phoenix would never trade him though even for Curry so I doubt that ever happens.

Why does PHX make this trade? Booker might already be better than Curry, is 8 years younger and makes less money. It makes no sense.
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#80 » by bullsaficianado » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I keep seeing in my dreams him and Kerr going to the Spurs. Spurs have the assets to add curry and another star to make them instant contenders. Not saying they are good dreams. Just saying

Imagine Curry and Thompson to Spurs to play with Wemby. Damn. I like it.

Return to The General Board