The amount of talent in the league today is absurd

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Re: The amount of talent in the league today is absurd 

Post#81 » by Heej » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:03 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
It wouldn't take but ten seconds for me to find a YouTube video arguing my point but why bother when you disagree with the argument regardless?

You're stringing together buzzwords meant to insult me but that works only for those who give a ****. I assure you I don't.

Scoring can't be at a all time high AND defense is at a all time high. It doesn't work that way.

You can find a YouTube video by some YouTube casual that confirms your bias and I'd easily dismantle it just from selecting a random clip from any game of your choosing on any night this season and demonstrate how there was likely more or just as many rotations being made on that possession than the majority of possessions in a 90s game. But why should I care to educate the ignorant :lol:

Actually if you understand basic math or logic that easily can be the case for the skill and effort level required of both to be at all time highs but that the rate of improvement in offense rapidly outstrips the rate of improvement on defense. But I'm not even a little bit surprised that someone like you who unironically holds such an unintelligent take finds it literally impossible to believe that both ideas are not mutually exclusive LMFAO :rofl:

That's like me saying it's impossible for the 2nd fastest car today to be faster than the fastest car in the 90s just because the #1 fastest car is smoking the current #2 on the racetrack. Idiotic

You're struggling to streamline your point because your point isn't valid.

But what do you expect from someone who thinks that the results are in what we can't see.

Not at all, my point has been clear the whole time. You're hiding behind simplistic one liners because most of us can see through your low IQ shtick demanding evidence from others while providing pathetic entries of your own using stuff like total points scored as an indicator of defensive quality LOL
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 7,208

Post#82 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:04 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:Yea bro, it's lax defensive effort to a casual like you when you have to close out 30% farther on any given player and there are more players that you need to close out onto. So people like you who don't have the processing speed in real time to register backline rotations being made are only able to see an open 3 being taken and conclude it's due to lax defensive effort.

I've seen your type before, and tbh it's just not worth educating someone who genuinely derives pleasure from holding an ignorant stance. Also few people really have the interest or spatial reasoning to be good at watching film in the first place so I'm good to just let sleeping dogs lie at this point.

Just know that no one who's actually knowledgeable about defensive schemes and analyzes game film would agree with your take overall. Maybe on a night to night basis, but most reasonably intelligent people that are interested in the butterfly effects of each possession that lead to defensive breakdowns recognize the amount of effort and IQ on display over the course of many a possession.

Few understand defensive rotations and coverages, but it's quite alright to be part of the many.

To a bandwagoner like your self perhaps. To the rest of us it's pretty clear.

Lol the butterfly effect. Hahahahahaha.

You can't even quantify the argument your making and yet you continue to try and insult. It's hilarious.

The fact that you don't understand how one misstep on defense often leads to a crack that continually widens as teams repeatedly drive and kick and force defenses into rotations really tells me all I need to know about the caliber of game watcher I'm discussing with.

I understand every single one of your points. Alot of them have a valid reason and rationale behind them.

And yet, defense for the most part across the league is not at a professional level.

Most these guys would rather not play regular season games at all let alone give you the effort worth paying to see.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#83 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:04 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:You can find a YouTube video by some YouTube casual that confirms your bias and I'd easily dismantle it just from selecting a random clip from any game of your choosing on any night this season and demonstrate how there was likely more or just as many rotations being made on that possession than the majority of possessions in a 90s game. But why should I care to educate the ignorant :lol:

Actually if you understand basic math or logic that easily can be the case for the skill and effort level required of both to be at all time highs but that the rate of improvement in offense rapidly outstrips the rate of improvement on defense. But I'm not even a little bit surprised that someone like you who unironically holds such an unintelligent take finds it literally impossible to believe that both ideas are not mutually exclusive LMFAO :rofl:

That's like me saying it's impossible for the 2nd fastest car today to be faster than the fastest car in the 90s just because the #1 fastest car is smoking the current #2 on the racetrack. Idiotic

But what do you expect from someone who thinks that the results are in what we can't see.

Not at all, my point has been clear the whole time. You're hiding behind simplistic one liners because most of us can see through your low IQ shtick

You finally capitulated. You did the right thing.
Heej
General Manager

Post#84 » by Heej » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:07 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
To a bandwagoner like your self perhaps. To the rest of us it's pretty clear.

Lol the butterfly effect. Hahahahahaha.

You can't even quantify the argument your making and yet you continue to try and insult. It's hilarious.

The fact that you don't understand how one misstep on defense often leads to a crack that continually widens as teams repeatedly drive and kick and force defenses into rotations really tells me all I need to know about the caliber of game watcher I'm discussing with.

I understand every single one of your points. Alot of them have a valid reason and rationale behind them.

And yet, defense for the most part across the league is not at a professional level.

Most these guys would rather not play regular season games at all let alone give you the effort worth paying to see.

The fact that you're saying it's not at a professional level leads me to think you wouldn't even be able to identify the cause of defensive breakdowns in real time while watching a game to be completely honest.

Most of these guys live to play this game night after night but most of all are ultimate competitors who are going to do what it takes to win games when it comes down to it.

As one coach of mine put it as a young Hooper, most of defenive value comes from being a yellow light on defense. Most casuals don't see the amount of effort it takes to be an effective yellow light.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Heej
General Manager

Post#85 » by Heej » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:09 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

Not at all, my point has been clear the whole time. You're hiding behind simplistic one liners because most of us can see through your low IQ shtick

I mean after destroying your idiotic total points argument and seeing you have no schematic refutations to anything I've posted my work here is done and most of these posters are able to see how low effort your clown takes and arguments ended up being after trying so hard to start :lol:

It was a good attempt tho but unfortunately this is what usually happens when it's time for me to steamroll a non-film watching casual.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#86 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:15 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:Not at all, my point has been clear the whole time. You're hiding behind simplistic one liners because most of us can see through your low IQ shtick

I mean after destroying your idiotic total points argument and seeing you have no schematic refutations to anything I've posted my work here is done and most of these posters are able to see how low effort your clown takes and arguments ended up being after trying so hard to start :lol:

It was a good attempt tho but unfortunately this is what usually happens when it's time for me to steamroll a non-film watching casual.

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:The fact that you don't understand how one misstep on defense often leads to a crack that continually widens as teams repeatedly drive and kick and force defenses into rotations really tells me all I need to know about the caliber of game watcher I'm discussing with.

The fact that you're saying it's not at a professional level leads me to think you wouldn't even be able to identify the cause of defensive breakdowns in real time while watching a game to be completely honest.

Most of these guys live to play this game night after night but most of all are ultimate competitors who are going to do what it takes to win games when it comes down to it.

As one coach of mine put it as a young Hooper, most of defenive value comes from being a yellow light on defense. Most casuals don't see the amount of effort it takes to be an effective yellow light.

There it is. It's personal for you. I got nothing more to say to a lebron stan trying to gatekeep my fandom because they can't understand how bad defense = most points per game ever.

Blah blah blown assignment, blah blah casual, blah blah schemes!

We get it. 2k got you thinking you have knowledge the rest of us couldn't possibly understand.

But then again, you said you were content to let sleeping dogs lie, and get here you are regurgitating the same sentence over and over.
Heej
General Manager

Post#87 » by Heej » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:00 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

There it is. It's personal for you. I got nothing more to say to a lebron stan trying to gatekeep my fandom because they can't understand how bad defense = most points per game ever.

Blah blah blown assignment, blah blah casual, blah blah schemes!

We get it. 2k got you thinking you have knowledge the rest of us couldn't possibly understand.

But then again, you said you were content to let sleeping dogs lie, and get here you are regurgitating the same sentence over and over.

I don't waste my time playing 2k when I can just hoop outside. I'm interested in coaching and analyzing film lil bro, it's alright if that's not for you and you prefer to hold on to low effort takes.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,433

Post#88 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:14 pm

The Corey's wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
So every single player has to agree with the assessment for the assessment to be true.

Makes sense.

What?

You literally acted like it was an absolute that no one plays defence :lol:

No one is saying every player in the league is playing the worst defense of all time.

That's ridiculous.

The Corey's wrote:Congratulations. You're the only person on earth who thinks NBA players are playing acceptable defense.

Turns out your absolute statements are not correct.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#89 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:47 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:What?

You literally acted like it was an absolute that no one plays defence :lol:

No one is saying every player in the league is playing the worst defense of all time.

That's ridiculous.

The Corey's wrote:Congratulations. You're the only person on earth who thinks NBA players are playing acceptable defense.

Turns out your absolute statements are not correct.

NBA players is plural. Not totality. Move on.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,201

Post#90 » by Pelon chingon » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:56 pm

I see a league of mostly limited skills players on both sides of the ball and limited entertainment value.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,517

Post#91 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:17 pm

Yeah, I don't think the superstars are better relative to the league but the floor has come way up. There are tons of guys in the G-League and abroad now who would easily have a roster spot ten years ago, let alone the 90s. Then a ton of guys in that second tier star range. I think the parity is great, though agree an expansion could be supported.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,517

Post#92 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:19 pm

What the **** happened in this thread?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,561

Post#93 » by Nuntius » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:27 pm

Capn'O wrote:What the **** happened in this thread?

That is one of the world's greatest mysteries.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,481

Post#94 » by ItsDanger » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:45 pm

Seems like offensive rating notably increased when they implemented the landing space rule change before 17/18 season. This is just one factor that has led many to draw conclusions based on clouded data.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,191

Post#95 » by realball » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:57 pm

We're at a point now where PFs and Cs are able to stay in front of guards instead of being stiffs who hang around the rim for boards. But of course we're going to have clowns on this board complain about "bringing defense back". Nostalgia is a helluva drug.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#96 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:09 pm

Couple dudes simply wouldn't allow for one person to voice that the NBA defense is SUS without being jerks about it is what happened.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,660

Post#97 » by jpengland » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:13 pm

One of the finals that lots of the golden era talk about is the Bulls Vs Jazz in 98.

Average age of the best 6 players in that series was 34. Bill Wennington, Scott Burrell, Adam Keefe, Greg Ostertag and 36 year old Antoine Carr were playing.

Honestly, the talent levels now are light years from where they were.
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#98 » by Biff » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:16 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BRING BACK DEFENSE

Bring It back to the way It use to be

I'm so tired of seeing these posts. You know absolutely nothing about basketball if you think there's no defense played today.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#99 » by zero rings » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:20 pm

The Corey's wrote:

Couple dudes simply wouldn't allow for one person to voice that the NBA defense is SUS without being jerks about it is what happened.

You’ve been making a fool of yourself in this entire thread, and you don’t know when to call it quits.

“PPG is up therefore defense must be bad”

LMAO
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,191

Post#100 » by realball » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:20 pm

The Corey's wrote:

More like one person kept repeating something stupid and is now playing the victim.

Return to The General Board