Woj: Lebron, Steph Curry, & KD Headline 2024 Team USA Olympic Roster

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,555

Re: Woj: Lebron, Steph Curry, & KD Headline 2024 Team USA Olympic Roster 

Post#81 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:41 am

The 12th team member needs to run out of the tunnel to theme music WWE-style when Team USA is on the ropes.

'Bah gawd, that's Jalen Brunson! What's he doing here?'
Jta444
Sophomore
And1: 251

Post#82 » by Jta444 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:54 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Jta444 wrote:Of course USA still wins it’s got the population size and talent pool of at least 5 European countries. The fairer match will be Team USA vs Team Europe let’s see if Americans will still show off and talk trash they’d be **** their pants. Team USA rn reminds me of Lebron teams before always stacking the deck and acting as if it’s a huge achievement when they win like dude you got all the best players and talent ofc you will and should(!!!) win and and win easily (which Lebron never did and team USA also having a hard time these past few Olympics)

What do you think a Team Europe roster would look like?

C Jokic
PF Wembanyama
SF Giannis
SG Markannen
PG Doncic
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#83 » by Wingy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:21 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Wingy wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Get someone other than Haliburton on there FFS someone who can provide some rim pressure and play legit POA defense. Why not Brunson or Fox? Haliburton’s defense is so so so bad and with guys like Curry and LeBron on the team we need more defense not more offense

Also is it me or do we have no answer for Wemby or Jokic on this team?

There’s one thing this team is clearly missing: a speedster.

There’s one roster spot left, and I’d pick Fox.

Lack of elite speed and agility at the guard position is what gives the rest of the world a chance when comprising these rosters. The world has a shot when Team USA continues to not send that sort of player. I think that they heavily favor pick and roll defense and spot up shooting at that position. Fox and Donovan Mitchell would be additions that would give Team USA an overpowering speed/athleticism advantage.

Not just a shot, sometimes they get an advantage. It’s how you get guys like Dennis Schroder shredding us. We’re putting almost all defensive guard hopes on Jrue Holiday - playing after yet another long, long playoff run. There’s Ant too, but not sure he’s the best to chase PGs.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,471

Post#84 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 am

peja_the_legend wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Some teams are going to be pretty tired to start next season.

Whichever of the Celtics, Wolves, Lakers and Suns go deep into the playoffs are the obvious ones. (Even worse for the Celtics in that respect is if Porzingis gets Olympic run, but I haven't tracked whether that's likely.)

I mean the training camp for team USA is 10 days and then they'll have to play six games in 15 days assuming they'll reach the medal round.After that they'll have almost 3 months until NBA camps begin.My point is that the tiredness from playing in Olympics is kinda overstated.

The Olympics end August 11th and NBA training camps open the last week of September/first week of October.

I'm no mathematician but that's not even 2 full months off.
Bloodbather
Junior
And1: 573

Post#85 » by Bloodbather » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:53 am

Forget Team USA, to me the real draw of the Olympics is France with Gobert and Wembanyama playing together with no defensive three seconds rule. Can't wait to see it, hopefully there's no injuries preventing it.
_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,234

Post#86 » by _jin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 pm

I'd pick Brunson over Hali if I was building a NBA team but for FIBA ball Hali over Brunson makes a lot of sense. The game of short scoring guards like Brunson doesnt translate well in FIBA, and the team isnt lacking players who can create for themselves, a better playmaker like Haliburton fits better with this squad. Hopefully Kawhi or PG round up the roster as more defense will probably be needed.
_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,234

Post#87 » by _jin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:26 pm

Bloodbather wrote:Forget Team USA, to me the real draw of the Olympics is France with Gobert and Wembanyama playing together with no defensive three seconds rule. Can't wait to see it, hopefully there's so injuries preventing it.

France might lack offensive firepower but the defense is going to be nasty. It's not only Wemby and Gobert, pretty much everyone on the potential list except Fournier and Okobo are great defenders. There's been a lot of french chatter recently about Wemby playing SF with Yabusele at the 4 and Gobert at C. You can't score in the paint against that team.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#88 » by Wingy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 pm

Rainwater wrote:
Wingy wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:Really hope Kawhi gets that last spot.

I really hope he doesn’t. We have a bounty of older, injury prone players as it is. No more, please.

Completely disagree

The answer to a problem isn't extremism. Going the complete opposite would merely expose different weaknesses.

This team has plenty of experience and old guys with Lebron, Steph, KD, AD, Embiid, and Jrue all 30 or over - 5 of the 6 NBA champions. Booker is 27 with a Finals run and a gold medal. Tatum is younger, but has tons of playoff experience, Finals run, and a gold.

We don't need more old, injury prone guys. The 6 over 30 vets I listed above are injured enough as is, and Jrue has a ton of mileage coming off of so many deep playoff runs and even past Olympics, and surely right off another deep playoff run. These teams are tough enough to figure out chemistry. Kawhi having a knee flare up and a need to begin load managing mid-Olympics is just what they need.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,450

Post#89 » by Gusto1903 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:26 pm

Theres no way this squad doesnt win the Gold. Literally none.
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,167

Post#90 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:46 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:The 12th team member needs to run out of the tunnel to theme music WWE-style when Team USA is on the ropes.

'Bah gawd, that's Jalen Brunson! What's he doing here?'

Nah that's Olympic Melo coming out of retirement for one last run at the Gold.

I swear Melo should get more credit for his Olympic play. For a guy who was labeled a ball stopper he was damn good in his role at the Olympics.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#91 » by Wingy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:Theres no way this squad doesnt win the Gold. Literally none.

This is at 1:36 left in the game, and Team USA is the miss shown right here away from only being up by a single 3-pointer.

This team had prime Kobe. Lebron, DWade, Bosh, and Melo at 5 full years in the league, and as motivated as they possibly could be coming off a bronze medal humbling at the worlds.

Looks like the time param doesn't let you embed the vid, but this goes to the exact point I'm referencing.

https://youtu.be/jZY5cZWGWKE?t=6233

The rest of the world has only gotten better in the 16 years since then. US is absolutely the favorites, but the days of Team USA being completely unbeatable in a one-game scenario are long gone.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,252

Post#92 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:13 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
peja_the_legend wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Some teams are going to be pretty tired to start next season.

Whichever of the Celtics, Wolves, Lakers and Suns go deep into the playoffs are the obvious ones. (Even worse for the Celtics in that respect is if Porzingis gets Olympic run, but I haven't tracked whether that's likely.)

I mean the training camp for team USA is 10 days and then they'll have to play six games in 15 days assuming they'll reach the medal round.After that they'll have almost 3 months until NBA camps begin.My point is that the tiredness from playing in Olympics is kinda overstated.

The Olympics end August 11th and NBA training camps open the last week of September/first week of October.

I'm no mathematician but that's not even 2 full months off.

I should have added the Nuggets, by the way. Murray is on Team Canada, which should be pretty good. And of course the Nuggets are likely to go deep into the playoffs.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,790

Post#93 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:49 pm

Jta444 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
Jta444 wrote:Of course USA still wins it’s got the population size and talent pool of at least 5 European countries. The fairer match will be Team USA vs Team Europe let’s see if Americans will still show off and talk trash they’d be **** their pants. Team USA rn reminds me of Lebron teams before always stacking the deck and acting as if it’s a huge achievement when they win like dude you got all the best players and talent ofc you will and should(!!!) win and and win easily (which Lebron never did and team USA also having a hard time these past few Olympics)

What do you think a Team Europe roster would look like?

C Jokic
PF Wembanyama
SF Giannis
SG Markannen
PG Doncic

I need a full 12 man roster because that looks odd.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,790

Post#94 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:51 pm

Wingy wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
Wingy wrote:
There’s one thing this team is clearly missing: a speedster.

There’s one roster spot left, and I’d pick Fox.

Lack of elite speed and agility at the guard position is what gives the rest of the world a chance when comprising these rosters. The world has a shot when Team USA continues to not send that sort of player. I think that they heavily favor pick and roll defense and spot up shooting at that position. Fox and Donovan Mitchell would be additions that would give Team USA an overpowering speed/athleticism advantage.

Not just a shot, sometimes they get an advantage. It’s how you get guys like Dennis Schroder shredding us. We’re putting almost all defensive guard hopes on Jrue Holiday - playing after yet another long, long playoff run. There’s Ant too, but not sure he’s the best to chase PGs.

I'm glad that you see it, it's almost conspiracy worthy.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 366

Post#95 » by RodyTur10 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 pm

SK21209 wrote:I bet it looks something like:

Curry / Haliburton
Holiday / Booker
LeBron / Edwards
KD / Tatum
Embiid / AD / Adebayo

LeBron and KD are definitely starting

I agree with others that this team is too old. Everybody over 30 out and Embiid (too injury-prone).
New guys: Brunson, Mitchell, Barnes, Williamson, Allen and White as the last addition.

Haliburton / Brunson
Mitchell / Booker / White
Edwards / Barnes
Tatum / Williamson
Davis / Adebayo / Allen
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,928

Post#96 » by SK21209 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:23 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:I bet it looks something like:

Curry / Haliburton
Holiday / Booker
LeBron / Edwards
KD / Tatum
Embiid / AD / Adebayo

LeBron and KD are definitely starting

I agree with others that this team is too old. Everybody over 30 out and Embiid (too injury-prone).
New guys: Brunson, Mitchell, Barnes, Williamson, Allen and White as the last addition.

Haliburton / Brunson
Mitchell / Booker / White
Edwards / Barnes
Tatum / Williamson
Davis / Adebayo / Allen

Too old for what? They're going to be the overwhelming favorite. I do think it would be fine to see the younger team you listed, but I also think its fun to see Curry/LeBron/KD play together before they retire considering they're the defining players of the last decade.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,779

Post#97 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:32 pm

I guess we’ll find out if the world caught up to us.
Forum permissions