Is this the end of the Embiid Era in PHI?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,772

Re: Is this the end of the Embiid Era in PHI? 

Post#81 » by toooskies » Fri May 3, 2024 4:44 pm

Philly has options to upgrade their #3 and #4 guys but only at the expense of their #5, #6, #7, and #8 guys. Playoffs pick on your weaknesses and Philly is going to be awfully weak at the end of their playoff rotation even if everybody's healthy.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#82 » by xchange55 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:47 pm

Embiid has played 8 seasons. The total number of regular season games in 8 years is 656. Okay I'm being lazy because I'm not going to bother looking up the COVID shortened season so the total number of actual games during this stretch is less than 656. Embiid has played in 433 of those games. That is 2.5 seasons of missed games!

Is he a great player when healthy? Absolutley. But when you are missing so many games, you probably lose places in playoff seedings making the road tougher. You might be missing half or entire playoff series with a 1-2 week issue.

It's hard to see him leading a legitimate title contender. Either the stars need to perfectly align, or he needs to be on a stack team where he is more of a luxury when available, than a necessity. I mean just look at Kawhi as an example.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,004

Post#83 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri May 3, 2024 4:52 pm

Any chance he can become a Los Angeles LAKER?
Zukkoyaki
Junior
And1: 330

Post#84 » by Zukkoyaki » Fri May 3, 2024 4:58 pm

I doubt he's going anywhere. Harris' contract finally expires this season so they have a huge opportunity to try and bring in capable role players.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,740

Post#85 » by shi-woo » Fri May 3, 2024 5:23 pm

I personally would trade him if a godfather offer is out there, and I think this for a few reasons.

1) He's never healthy when it matters, and obviously we are all aware of his playoff woes. Most players break through when they are 26-28. Joel hasn't ever had that series defining moment, and is going to be getting into his 30's.

2.) They have cap space this year, but not enough to field a true contender given Maxey needs to get paid, and Embiid has one of the biggest contracts in the league. This FA class is not that good, in fact it's absolutely terrible. People saying lure a star, what star is going to Philly? You have 2 options, a 41 year old LeBron, or Paul George. Neither of those guys are really blowing my shirt up, and i'm questioning what other players they could possibly add around those guys if one of them did join. Likewise, we've now seen Joel fumble the bag with 3 ANBA players, who's signing up to be the 4th?

3.) What trades could Philly possibly make with only 2 guys under contract? They are essentially hoping to sign some dudes to big money and trade them for better players. That's probably not happening, nor do I think the guys they could potentially bring in in that situation do damage (Lavine, Beal, ect). They are pretty set up with those LAC picks, so they could make those moves, but for what? What salary are they sending out and what player would be available?

3) MAxey is still young enough where you can pull an OKC with Shai, trade the star, and then build around Maxey and start contending for the PO in 2 years, with a ton of cap space to figure things out, and a plethora of picks to draft the guys you want.

4) Joels age and contract. He's not getting better or healthier, and as point #1 mentions, who are they signing this year? This year just seems like it's going to be a punt, signing someone like Martin or Fultz (two of the better FA this year...) to poison pill contracts, and hoping they can get better next year. But at that point, all these other issues are just compounded, Maxey closer to not caring about the teams direction, Joel getting older and more injured, and another year to burn the bridge with your coach and fans.

If you trade Embiid now to a team that is willing to role the dice, why not? Get more picks and hopefully a young stud in return that you can run with Maey for the future.

Embiid to OKC for Giddy, Hayward, a few guys like Wiggins and some picks.

Honetly I don't even see realistic trades for Joel at this point unless he gets moved for bad contracts and prospects like Duran and Ivey.

Philly in a bad bad spot
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,595

Post#86 » by sol537 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:39 pm

shi-woo wrote:I personally would trade him if a godfather offer is out there, and I think this for a few reasons.

1) He's never healthy when it matters, and obviously we are all aware of his playoff woes. Most players break through when they are 26-28. Joel hasn't ever had that series defining moment, and is going to be getting into his 30's.

2.) They have cap space this year, but not enough to field a true contender given Maxey needs to get paid, and Embiid has one of the biggest contracts in the league. This FA class is not that good, in fact it's absolutely terrible. People saying lure a star, what star is going to Philly? You have 2 options, a 41 year old LeBron, or Paul George. Neither of those guys are really blowing my shirt up, and i'm questioning what other players they could possibly add around those guys if one of them did join. Likewise, we've now seen Joel fumble the bag with 3 ANBA players, who's signing up to be the 4th?

3.) What trades could Philly possibly make with only 2 guys under contract? They are essentially hoping to sign some dudes to big money and trade them for better players. That's probably not happening, nor do I think the guys they could potentially bring in in that situation do damage (Lavine, Beal, ect). They are pretty set up with those LAC picks, so they could make those moves, but for what? What salary are they sending out and what player would be available?

3) MAxey is still young enough where you can pull an OKC with Shai, trade the star, and then build around Maxey and start contending for the PO in 2 years, with a ton of cap space to figure things out, and a plethora of picks to draft the guys you want.

4) Joels age and contract. He's not getting better or healthier, and as point #1 mentions, who are they signing this year? This year just seems like it's going to be a punt, signing someone like Martin or Fultz (two of the better FA this year...) to poison pill contracts, and hoping they can get better next year. But at that point, all these other issues are just compounded, Maxey closer to not caring about the teams direction, Joel getting older and more injured, and another year to burn the bridge with your coach and fans.

If you trade Embiid now to a team that is willing to role the dice, why not? Get more picks and hopefully a young stud in return that you can run with Maey for the future.

Embiid to OKC for Giddy, Hayward, a few guys like Wiggins and some picks.

Honetly I don't even see realistic trades for Joel at this point unless he gets moved for bad contracts and prospects like Duran and Ivey.

Philly in a bad bad spot

I get this thinking but rolling the dice on Embiid, Maxey and better 3&D role-players for the next couple of seasons puts them in contention for that time period until Embiid's legs can't handle the grind any longer. They've come this far on the Embiid train... might as well ride it out a couple more years as he has a legit #2 option now (Maxey). Gotta bring in great role-players... can Morey do that?
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,470

Post#87 » by PushDaRock » Fri May 3, 2024 6:45 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:He is hurt every playoffs.

and that makes him a fraud?

When you are “hurt” every playoffs it stops being an excuse.

He will be “hurt” for 15 consecutive playoffs and make no ecf unless he gets carried by a superior player

Ok, let's just ignore that he was hurt. He put up 33, 11 and 6 on 60% TS this playoffs. How much better can he play to not be considered a fraud?
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,105

Post#88 » by AleksandarN » Fri May 3, 2024 6:47 pm

Woodsanity wrote:I've already said a few years ago they need to dump him while he has inflated value.

Smart franchises have already figured out he is a fraud and a regular season only player.

Even in RS he is good for only 40-60 games....

I am so going bump this so hard when the Knicks trade for him in the offseason lol
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,105

Post#89 » by AleksandarN » Fri May 3, 2024 6:48 pm

OKC trade would be great for both teams
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,595

Post#90 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri May 3, 2024 6:50 pm

I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually think this is the best position Philly has been in, in the Embiid era.
Young star (Maxey) + cap space, and I think Embiid actually took his last leap as a player this season.
They could easily be a contender next season. Embiid's health is always a major question mark, but I'd rather a chance to contend than no chance.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,517

Post#91 » by Celts17Pride » Fri May 3, 2024 7:12 pm

Embiid has Maxey and $65 million in cap space next year in Philly. No way does Embiid leave.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,153

Post#92 » by Potential » Fri May 3, 2024 7:50 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Potential wrote:Nah they'll be fine. They still need to add another star to that starting lineup after losing Harden. They have solid role players but they just need to add that 1 more guy to the starting lineup like a Paul George or Mitchell.

Why do the Sixers need to add another star when the New York Jalen Brunson's just knocked them out of the playoffs?

Yeah that's true. Embiid needed to be better than Brunson especially when it mattered in the 4th and he wasn't which was the difference
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,424

Post#93 » by picc » Fri May 3, 2024 7:53 pm

LaLover11 wrote:George for Embiid
Draymond/Wiggins for Joel
Durant for Joel
DLo/Reaves/Rui/Vando for Joel
Bam/Robinson for Joel
Lillard for Joel

There's plenty options and teams that would be interested

Wow.

No wonder people think we're nuts. :-?
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,113

Post#94 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 3, 2024 9:09 pm

picc wrote:
Durant for Joel
Bam/Robinson for Joel
Lillard for Joel

Wow.

You're right Sixers only will take Luka or Jokic for a disabled broken knee Embiid

Grow up and realize that package can help sixers create a team with depth and they would still be able to get a star like Durant to help Maxey complete in the East the next 3 seasons
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,609

Post#95 » by jokeboy86 » Fri May 3, 2024 9:12 pm

No. The Embiid era cant end until they win a title with him or until he’s basically unable to walk anymore because they have simply put far too much time and effort into the “Process” to end it with mediocre results(2nd rd ceiling). Giving up on Embiid basically would be admitting that the “Process” was a resounding failure.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,308

Post#96 » by tsherkin » Fri May 3, 2024 9:19 pm

PushDaRock wrote:He was clearly playing hurt and he still averaged 33 ppg this series. I mean pretty hard to put this on him.

I mean, at least a little you can. He has 3 games under 37% from the field and has had 9 and 5 turnovers the last two games. It's not like his performances have been all stellar. He surely isn't the only problem, no doubt, but it's not like he's been smashing it every game. Definitely looked better on the offensive boards the last two games, though.

Anyway, Philly needs things in place for when this inevitably happens. They need to rely less on his volume scoring.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,424

Post#97 » by picc » Fri May 3, 2024 9:22 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
picc wrote:
Durant for Joel
Bam/Robinson for Joel
Lillard for Joel

Wow.

You're right Sixers only will take Luka or Jokic for a disabled broken knee Embiid

Grow up and realize that package can help sixers create a team with depth and they would still be able to get a star like Durant to help Maxey complete in the East the next 3 seasons

I took your advice and grew up. I'm now in my 70s. And in my new wisdom I realized that package is even more **** than I thought and not only would Morey block Rob's number immediately, Rob would check himself into rehab for a crack habit he wasn't even aware of.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#98 » by zero rings » Fri May 3, 2024 9:27 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
picc wrote:
Durant for Joel
Bam/Robinson for Joel
Lillard for Joel

Wow.

Other teams aren't trading their superstars for the Lakers' garbage no matter how many delusional posts you make. Give it a rest.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#99 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 3, 2024 9:30 pm

Trade him for Kawhi, just for the LOLz.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,768

Post#100 » by srhcan » Fri May 3, 2024 9:32 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:I don't know where PHI goes after this. Harris is obviously gone. But what are the alternatives? A 34 year old Paul George? If I am PHI, I would trade Embiid. They still have Maxey who is good enough to take PHI to the play in so the lost picks don't hurt them so much

I dont think 76ers is that stupid to trade Embiid. Remember this season Embiid was on his way to win 2nd MVP before the injuries. He is easily top 5 player in NBA right now along with Jokic, Luka, SGA and Giannis (in no particular order). You should never give up on such a talent.
What 76ers needs is Embiid's minutes management, giving him ample break in regular season so that he is not worn out by the time playoffs start, and give him better supporting cast.

Return to The General Board