Should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a huge contract this summer?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

dkb964
Junior
And1: 214

Re: Should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a huge contract this summer? 

Post#81 » by dkb964 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:58 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
dkb964 wrote:As a Raptors fan I have watched the career of Anunoby closely and the man just can not stay healthy. It is not a fluke what is happeneing since he joined the Knicks. It feels like they are in a tough position. One one hand they have been great with him in the lineup but on the other hand history would suggest he will be hurt again next season, and I doubt that changes going forward as he gets older. In a world where Tobias Haris made 40M this season I would have to think that would be the floor amount of money for Anunoby. Should the Knicks really give a massive contract to a great role player who can not stay healthy?
He should get same contract as Dray, who can stay healthy.

In my mind it is hard to compare the two. Dray must be like 7 years older than Anunoby. Anunoby is going to get at the very least 40M a year. The Sixers will give him 40M. He did take below market value contracts in Toronto. He should be looking for a bag here or he hates money for some reason. I think he wants to remain on the Knicks and will recieve a 4 year 160M deal and nobody will blink an eye at it because of how good the Knicks have been with him on the court.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,525

Post#82 » by Snotbubbles » Tue May 14, 2024 12:09 am

dkb964 wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
dkb964 wrote:As a Raptors fan I have watched the career of Anunoby closely and the man just can not stay healthy. It is not a fluke what is happeneing since he joined the Knicks. It feels like they are in a tough position. One one hand they have been great with him in the lineup but on the other hand history would suggest he will be hurt again next season, and I doubt that changes going forward as he gets older. In a world where Tobias Haris made 40M this season I would have to think that would be the floor amount of money for Anunoby. Should the Knicks really give a massive contract to a great role player who can not stay healthy?

In my mind it is hard to compare the two. Dray must be like 7 years older than Anunoby. Anunoby is going to get at the very least 40M a year. The Sixers will give him 40M. He did take below market value contracts in Toronto. He should be looking for a bag here or he hates money for some reason. I think he wants to remain on the Knicks and will recieve a 4 year 160M deal and nobody will blink an eye at it because of how good the Knicks have been with him on the court.

The Sixers would have to strike out on 3 or 4 other players before they would consider OG.
dkb964
Junior

Post#83 » by dkb964 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:15 am

Snotbubbles wrote:
dkb964 wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:He should get same contract as Dray, who can stay healthy.

The Sixers would have to strike out on 3 or 4 other players before they would consider OG.

James and George are the only players I can think of. Siakam is a toss up. Where are you getting 4 players from and those guys are not leaving LA for the 76ers anyway. The 76ers front office would be doing blackflips to replace bum ass Tobias Harris with Anunoby.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,525

Post#84 » by Snotbubbles » Tue May 14, 2024 12:28 am

dkb964 wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:
dkb964 wrote:

James and George are the only players I can think of. Siakam is a toss up. Where are you getting 4 players from and those guys are not leaving LA for the 76ers anyway. The 76ers front office would be doing blackflips to replace Anunoby with bum ass Tobias Harris.

1. Paul George
2. Lebron James
3. Pascal Siakim
4. Miles Bridges

If they can't do any of those things, then they will probably look to trade for a player for a team looking to clear space (i.e., Dejounte Murray-type player (you never know who will become available (see, Porzingis, Dame, etc. last year)). If those things don't materialize, then they might consider OG. Or maybe they would prefer Demar Derozan, instead. They want a player, preferably a wing, that can carry the scoring when Embiid sits or be a closer at the end of the game to take pressure off Embiid and Maxey. All due respect to Anunoby, but he's not that player. OG is like a chick you take home at 2am because all the other girls you wanted left already.

EDIT: Forgot about Jimmy Butler, he'd go into that trade for a guy group. But there is smoke around Miami moving on from him and I'm sure the Sixers will kick the tires. Forgot Brandon Ingram too. You were right, it wasn't 3 or 4, it was more like 6 or 7.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,957

Post#85 » by basketballRob » Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 am

Suggs
OG
Franz
Paolo
Wendell

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,599

Post#86 » by Hoop Hunter » Tue May 14, 2024 5:54 pm

If he doesn't trip and fall, jab the pen into his brain before signing the contract, it's a already done deal. That could happen though, with his injury history.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,870

Post#87 » by cgf » Tue May 14, 2024 7:56 pm

Nah, we should give him anything up to 40M AAV and smile. We may need to reconsider playing Randle against Miami though :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#88 » by srhcan » Tue May 14, 2024 8:30 pm

dkb964 wrote:
srhcan wrote:

Idiotic post

A person with half a brain and common decency would have worded your post differently. Maybe offered some actual insight.

It would be mega idiotic for Knicks to not sign him when you consider the players they gave up in trade to get him. :crazy:
cgf
RealGM

Post#89 » by cgf » Tue May 14, 2024 8:37 pm

srhcan wrote:
dkb964 wrote:
srhcan wrote:Idiotic post

A person with half a brain and common decency would have worded your post differently. Maybe offered some actual insight.

It would be mega idiotic for Knicks to not sign him when you consider the players they gave up in trade to get him. :crazy:

If OG was damaged goods then regardless of what we traded for him, signing him to be the new Stoudemire / McDyess / Houston would be idiotic. So the question isn't a silly one in general, I just think you'd have a tough time arguing that OG is already damaged goods given how awesome he still is when healthy and that there are things we could do to alleviate his workload.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

toodarkmark
Sophomore
And1: 508

Post#90 » by toodarkmark » Tue May 14, 2024 8:46 pm

I give him what he wants. Who cares if he's hurt a lot? Chris Paul was hurt every year. Leonard is hurt every year. This guy is so important to what they do, and maybe he switches up trainers so he doesn't have certain injuries.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#91 » by WentzerWuver » Tue May 14, 2024 8:51 pm

dkb964 wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

My Sixers want PG13, not another Horford in OG who will not be able to play well with the former MVP on the floor.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2019/07/14/al-horford-is-more-than-just-a-109m-insurance-policy-for-the-sixers/?sh=52ce69176ac0
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#92 » by srhcan » Tue May 14, 2024 9:39 pm

cgf wrote:
srhcan wrote:
dkb964 wrote:

If OG was damaged goods then regardless of what we traded for him, signing him to be the new Stoudemire / McDyess / Houston would be idiotic. So the question isn't a silly one in general, I just think you'd have a tough time arguing that OG is already damaged goods given how awesome he still is when healthy and that there are things we could do to alleviate his workload.

Its a no-brainer that Knicks had done due diligence on OG's health before they made that trade. OG is not damaged goods. And the fit is absolutely awesome. So I dont see the point of this thread. A Raptors fan made this thread so I am suspectable about its true intentions.
dkb964
Junior

Post#93 » by dkb964 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:44 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
dkb964 wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:He should get same contract as Dray, who can stay healthy.

My Sixers want PG13, not another Horford in OG who will not be able to play well with the former MVP on the floor.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2019/07/14/al-horford-is-more-than-just-a-109m-insurance-policy-for-the-sixers/?sh=52ce69176ac0

PG13 would be a great fit obviously, but I have a hard time seeing him leaving LA is all. Lebron James or Paul George are not walking thew the door, so 76ers fans need to be realistic in whom they can aquire. I honestly think they will strike out.
dkb964
Junior

Post#94 » by dkb964 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:46 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
dkb964 wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

James and George are the only players I can think of. Siakam is a toss up. Where are you getting 4 players from and those guys are not leaving LA for the 76ers anyway. The 76ers front office would be doing blackflips to replace Anunoby with bum ass Tobias Harris.

1. Paul George
2. Lebron James
3. Pascal Siakim
4. Miles Bridges

If they can't do any of those things, then they will probably look to trade for a player for a team looking to clear space (i.e., Dejounte Murray-type player (you never know who will become available (see, Porzingis, Dame, etc. last year)). If those things don't materialize, then they might consider OG. Or maybe they would prefer Demar Derozan, instead. They want a player, preferably a wing, that can carry the scoring when Embiid sits or be a closer at the end of the game to take pressure off Embiid and Maxey. All due respect to Anunoby, but he's not that player. OG is like a chick you take home at 2am because all the other girls you wanted left already.

EDIT: Forgot about Jimmy Butler, he'd go into that trade for a guy group. But there is smoke around Miami moving on from him and I'm sure the Sixers will kick the tires. Forgot Brandon Ingram too. You were right, it wasn't 3 or 4, it was more like 6 or 7.

The 76ers do not have the type of assets to trade for a star level player. They literally have no assets other then picks.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#95 » by DrCoach » Tue May 14, 2024 9:47 pm

So the knicks traded RJ & IQ for nothing?

Stupid post

Hes getting paid
dkb964
Junior

Post#96 » by dkb964 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:49 pm

DrCoach wrote:So the knicks traded RJ & IQ for nothing?

Stupid post

Hes getting paid

Doubling down on a mistake is never a good idea. The Knicks have a history of signing injury prone players to huge contracts. Anunoby is a class act so I hope the Knicks give him a massive deal.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,452

Post#97 » by Oscirus » Tue May 14, 2024 9:50 pm

Last year of that contract will likely look as bad as that fella from Philly who supposedly played good defense, but yea they have no choice. If they don't pay him a certain team in their division will and they'll have a huge ass gap in SF. Thibs needs him.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,403

Post#98 » by Phish Tank » Tue May 14, 2024 10:21 pm

First off, OG's agent is Leon Rose's son. He's staying in New York. It's a no brainer. Now if he leaves Sam Rose.... well that would be dumb because the Knicks can pay him the most money anyways.

Now, as far as his injuries, a lot of them were truthfully random. There's no trend with any of them. Like he was out of the playoffs in 2019 because of an appendectomy, he hurt his wrist doing chores, the elbow now, hamstring.... it's all random. Problem? No. Annoying? Yes.

It's part of the risk premium with him. The Knicks will have to deal with it, but they'd be stupid not to pay him. Just acquire reinforcements to back him up.

The team is two levels better with him than without.
dkb964
Junior

Post#99 » by dkb964 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:42 pm

srhcan wrote:
cgf wrote:
srhcan wrote:It would be mega idiotic for Knicks to not sign him when you consider the players they gave up in trade to get him. :crazy:

Its a no-brainer that Knicks had done due diligence on OG's health before they made that trade. OG is not damaged goods. And the fit is absolutely awesome. So I dont see the point of this thread. A Raptors fan made this thread so I am suspectable about its true intentions.

Why, beacuse I have actually followed the career of Anunoby closely as a Raptors fan and I know way more about his injury history then you do. What an "idiotic post". Stop embarrassing yourself. It is a valid question. I never said the Knicks should not sign him but asked the question should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a HUGE contract.
cgf
RealGM

Post#100 » by cgf » Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 pm

dkb964 wrote:
srhcan wrote:
cgf wrote:

Why, beacuse I have actually followed the career of Anunoby closely as a Raptors fan and I know way more about his injury history then you do. What an "idiotic post". Stop embarrassing yourself. It is a valid question. I never said the Knicks should not sign him but asked the question should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a HUGE contract.

I'm pretty sure that is a Raps fan also. I think that poster was an unnecessary dick to you...but I also think that the Knicks would not have acquired OG if they hadn't already basically worked out an extension for him; which entailed doing their due diligence on his injuries and factoring that into his pricetag. So the question is likely moot unless OG comes back too soon from his hammy and blows out his achilles or something else happens that would really change the direction of his future.

Return to The General Board