2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (MIN WINS 4-3)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the WCFs?

Nuggets
48%
Wolves
52%

Total votes: 178

thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,113

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#8041 » by thinktank » Wed May 15, 2024 1:27 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
thinktank wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:It is a different team to last season.

Two completely different core pieces. But whatever you say…

The Celtics are superior to the Wolves who have taken two games off the Nuggets.

Wolves split with Celtics in RS. I just don’t see it.

Your core is Tatum and Brown.

Regular season is irrelevant. Wolves looked like the better team than Denver in the regular season during all of their matchups.

Celtics are being disrespected. They were historically good, and if OKC, Mavs, OR Minnesota came out of the West, Celtics win handily. We've seen Minnesota struggle against a more competent defense now.

Boston has the #2 defense in the NBA. Minnesota will struggle. Boston has 4 different guys who they can throw at Ant.

Boston wins in 5, or 6. Stop disrespecting them just because they're Boston.

They lose to Denver in the finals in 6 though. Timberwolves blew the Celtic's chances this year.

You want it both ways.

“RS doesn’t matter. Boston was historically good.”

Make up your mind.

If this Boston core wins a chip, THEN you can start the chip guarantees. Not before.

You can’t guarantee something you’ve never done.
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
thinktank
Analyst

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#8042 » by thinktank » Wed May 15, 2024 1:29 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
thinktank wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
The nuggets are a top 10 defensive team. And when they barely beat LA this season in the playoffs, they shot like 30% from three for the series and Murray was still injured.

The second game the Celtics played against them had Denver shooting like 20% from 3. The first game everyone in Denver shot like crap outside of Murray and Jokic. I remember, I was there.

I don't know if the Celtics don't stand a chance, but I think it's extremely likely that the Timberwolves failing to capitalize on their 2-0 series lead cost the Celtics the championship.

My opinion is the NBA wants Denver / Celtics.

They also want Denver / Minnesota to go 7.

Refs let Malone yell in their face, Murray throw things onto the court and not get suspended (money over player safety), and then called REALLY BS calls on Wolves in games 3 and 4.

It wasn’t just the Wolves failing you.

Jesus Christ. There's not some conspiracy against the Wolves here.

The media was extremely quick to annoint Ant would so clearly rather see them in the finals. Hell, even the Minnesota board was talking about this. But as soon as Denver turned it around, the narrative changed. Games 1-2, you guys were world beaters, no one in the league can hang unless the league interferes. Now, trailing, it's rigged against you?

Man, get real. Denver is a better team.

I never said Denver wasn’t the better team. I said the NBA wants 7 games. I ask for better reading comprehension. Thanks.
Quentin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,286

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (DEN leads 3-2) 

Post#8043 » by Quentin » Wed May 15, 2024 1:31 pm

Ant's progression will need to be working through double teams. He couldn't get a touch without 2 defenders on him constantly. His passes out of the double were slow and off line. He needs to react quicker. If he had attacked those differently he would have helped himself and his teammates but he backed off and sent lazy passes to his teammates.

The Joker was amazing though. HIS passing is why it's hard to double team him. Ant could learn a thing.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,641

Post#8044 » by Tha Cynic » Wed May 15, 2024 1:34 pm

Lakers824 wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:Jokic better than any version of Lebron

Offensively, he surely is, but LeBron still rates out higher overall. Let's stay realistic.

It is realistic. He's the best player statistically that there has ever been, if you look at the advanced metrics. He and LeBron both played in in the same post-handchecking era and one is leaps and bounds ahead of the other.

His BPM stats rival Jordan (if I'm not mistaken, he's already tied Jordan for most seasons in the top 10 all time). His PER average is better by a comfortable distance. And he's just won his 3rd MVP and counting (which should be 4), having won a title without an all star, an all NBA teammate, or an all NBA defensive teammate.

Yeah there have been a lot of Micheal Jordan comparisons in these playoffs with ANT. He stylistically does some things or has moves similar to Jordan. But in terms of actual impact on the court, Jokic is the closest we have seen.

If he were American and probably black, that chat would be there.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 972

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (DEN leads 3-2) 

Post#8045 » by docholliday99 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:39 pm

FreeBird23 wrote:
jc23 wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
100%
These Jokic shots are contested!
Gobert is actually doing a pretty decent job against Jokic. But the angles of Jokics's shots, the array of counter moves and the unpredictability of what he'll do on offense is so hard to defend.

People are unfair to Gobert in my opinion. Jokic had great numbers against the best defensive Centers in the game.
His problem-solving is just on another level.

I think Gobert is getting more criticism because he does not provide much on the offensive side. Joker dominated AD a bunch but AD could at least give a bit back on the other side.

I see a lot of criticism because of Jokic's game.

Gobert has the best +/- of his team, with -2 in 40 minutes played. He is also 7/7, 18 points in this game.

Edwards was bad, it happens.

I blame Finch since he hasn't made adjustments in the last 2 games.

I thought Minny played well enough to win in game 3, despite their lack of bench scoring, just Jokic was making unbelievable passes and willed his team to win. Game 4, Minny kept it close till about the last couple minutes of the 3rd, in the 4th they certainly missed having Conley and Minny's bench provided little offensively. Jokic again was the factor. Many coaches have been tying to adjust for Jokic for awhile now, with little success, so I wouldn't be too hard on Finch.

Game 6, I expect a dog fight from Minny and though injuries happen, it's really disappointing that Conley will most likely be out again, Minny is a really tough team when he's healthy.

And I have to say, since Shaq made his embarrassing comments 6 days ago, before game 3, Jokic has been a man on a mission. I'm sure it's a coincidence but Jokic has been playing like a man possessed.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,477

Post#8046 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:59 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thinktank wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:They’ve lost both games against Denver by a basket.

Maybe they will win but it’s comical how people act like they are miles better

Denver has that extra gear.

I've never seen these Celtics have that. "New team" you all say. It's not really new. Your core is the same.

It is a different team to last season.

The Celtics are superior to the Wolves who have taken two games off the Nuggets.

You have to come to earth, Celtics doesn’t have the ammo to compete with Denver or Minnesota

Who did they beat ? Butler less Miami , Mitchel/Allen less Cavs , it’s almost like beating Detroit during their record loosing streak :lol:

Save yourself a big disappointment, maybe next year you have a shot , oh no Edwards will be closer to his prime and Minny might possibly replace current Nuggets
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,723

Post#8047 » by durden_tyler » Wed May 15, 2024 2:07 pm

Deivork wrote:Kyle Anderson is playing a terrible series

Definitely going to China now. Heck, even his national team may not want him. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 15,075

Post#8048 » by Jadoogar » Wed May 15, 2024 2:09 pm

1993Playoffs wrote:Its such a common theme

Rudy Gobert getting absolutely cooked the PO, its a tradition

This is a really lazy take. Jokic absolutely destroyed anthony davis twice and Bam stood 0 chance against him. He also dropped 30 ppg on 60TS% on Draymond. All these guys must suck on defense too right?

Sometimes you just run into an elite offensive player, doesn't mean you're getting cooked or are a poor defender.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,641

Post#8049 » by Tha Cynic » Wed May 15, 2024 2:11 pm

Minnesota is a legit team. The way the Nuggets dismantled them says more about Denver than it does about Minnesota folding or not being good enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Minnesota win the next game, but if Jokic goes legendary mode again, it's over.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#8050 » by life_saver » Wed May 15, 2024 2:22 pm

Wolves have managed to neutralize MPJ but Jokic has gone supernova and other Nuggets roleplayers are hitting their open looks. I think you probably have to live with that..Wolves problems have been bit more on offensive end...with no Conley, it was lot more visible yesterday. Wolves need Jaden to take that leap offensively but instead he has been disappointing on that end except for that 1 game vs Suns.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,766

Post#8051 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed May 15, 2024 2:44 pm

thinktank wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thinktank wrote:

I've never seen these Celtics have that. "New team" you all say. It's not really new. Your core is the same.

Celtics won 8 more games, the number 1 SRS and were the number 1 ranked offence compared to Minnesota’s number 16. But sure keep telling yourself how vastly superior the Wolves are.

It’s hilarious how you try to **** on Tatum and Brown. Last time I checked your team is rolling out KAT’s dumb ass and Gobert and his stone hands.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#8052 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed May 15, 2024 2:45 pm

nikster wrote:
thinktank wrote:

It's also incredibly lazy to compare series like that. Wolves are far superior to the Heat without Butler, and the heat took one game from the Celtics

I’ll compare the fact that the Celtics have an elite defence PLUS an elite offence. Something Minnesota does not have.
chudak
Senior
And1: 345

Post#8053 » by chudak » Wed May 15, 2024 2:45 pm

Jadoogar wrote:

This is a really lazy take. Jokic absolutely destroyed anthony davis twice and Bam stood 0 chance against him. He also dropped 30 ppg on 60TS% on Draymond. All these guys must suck on defense too right?

Sometimes you just run into an elite offensive player, doesn't mean you're getting cooked or are a poor defender.

I think this narrative started because when teams used to go extra extra extra small they would try to pull out Gobert to the three point line and hunt him on switches. He lacks foot speed on the perimeter and a big cannot guard Steph Curry at the three point line.

Gobert does not get cooked by bigs who are not Nikola Jokic in PO too and Gobert 3pt line hunting does not happen as much any more for multiple reasons.

So there is something about that matchup with Jokic that Gobert just does not feel comfortable with. Maybe its just Jokic and his passing ... not sure
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#8054 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed May 15, 2024 2:48 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thinktank wrote:

You have to come to earth, Celtics doesn’t have the ammo to compete with Denver or Minnesota

Who did they beat ? Butler less Miami , Mitchel/Allen less Cavs , it’s almost like beating Detroit during their record loosing streak :lol:

Save yourself a big disappointment, maybe next year you have a shot , oh no Edwards will be closer to his prime and Minny might possibly replace current Nuggets

As I said before I don’t give a **** about your garbage as opinions about Boston.

Zero **** clue.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 15,075

Post#8055 » by Jadoogar » Wed May 15, 2024 2:53 pm

chudak wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

I think this narrative started because when teams used to go extra extra extra small they would try to pull out Gobert to the three point line and hunt him on switches. He lacks foot speed on the perimeter and a big cannot guard Steph Curry at the three point line.

Gobert does not get cooked by bigs who are not Nikola Jokic in PO too and Gobert 3pt line hunting does not happen as much any more for multiple reasons.

So there is something about that matchup with Jokic that Gobert just does not feel comfortable with. Maybe its just Jokic and his passing ... not sure

tbf, who can guard Jokic one on one? Even Embiid doesn't do it. This performance is more of a reflection on Jokic than it is on Gobert.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#8056 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed May 15, 2024 2:54 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:For those asking where eyeatoma was - he was on the Philly board complaining. He wouldn't dare show up on the thread on a historic night where Jokic continued to add to his legacy. :lol:

Whether it's Embiid being "unlucky", Embiid's games again Jokic in Philly (because he's always ducking Denver), and then having a discussion about how Embiid is a victim of racism.

eyeatoma wrote:Gb sucking off Jokic like he's got the last dick in the world. Would be nice for Joel to shut their mouths once and for all.

This is the greatest hijinx in NBA history. The dude is amazing but Embiid is better and schools him everytime.

What's worse is that that dodo Gobert is a multi dpoy winner while Embiid has destroyed him every time he's played.

What a terrible outcome for us these last 10 years.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

eyeatoma wrote:
brannigan73 wrote:Its a bad nite in mudville. Paging Shaq! All the ignorami that were all over Jokic and the Nuggets when the wolves were up 2-0 and crying about Jokic winning another MVP are retreating faster then France in world war 2. This is why Jokic is better then Embiid. He plays more within himself and is always available and healthy when it matters. He doesnt have the valleys that Embiid does. Embiid is an all time great he is also the second best center in the NBA.

Wrong, Embiid is just the unluckiest NBA player in the history of the game.

Jhawk03 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Interesting take, care to delve deeper on what you mean by that?

I have no problem with giving my thesis statement, there's an underlying racial motive that everyone and yet no one wants/likes/or feels convenient to address. If Joel grew up in the states, this racial motive would be a driving force for him... it would cause a chain reaction in his development, reasoning, adaptation, drive, motivation, etc considering his equal is freaking Nikola Jokic.

Like I said, I don't want to write about it, but Joel sorely missed growing up in the states.

It’s honestly just sad and embarrassing if this is a grown man posting this **** about Jokic.

I used to really despise LeBron when he was on Miami and always wanted him to lose. When he beat Boston I didn’t cry and post all sorts of childish garbage.

When he dropped 45 against us in game 6 in 2012 of the ECF I could appreciate the greatness I’d just seen.

Why even bother watching basketball if you’re so damn miserable and bitter about other players/teams?
thinktank
Analyst

Post#8057 » by thinktank » Wed May 15, 2024 2:55 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thinktank wrote:

Celtics won 8 more games, the number 1 SRS and were the number 1 ranked offence compared to Minnesota’s number 16. But sure keep telling yourself how vastly superior the Wolves are.

It’s hilarious how you try to **** on Tatum and Brown. Last time I checked your team is rolling out KAT’s dumb ass and Gobert and his stone hands.

You said “RS doesn’t matter”, not me.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#8058 » by thinktank » Wed May 15, 2024 2:58 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:For those asking where eyeatoma was - he was on the Philly board complaining. He wouldn't dare show up on the thread on a historic night where Jokic continued to add to his legacy. :lol:

Whether it's Embiid being "unlucky", Embiid's games again Jokic in Philly (because he's always ducking Denver), and then having a discussion about how Embiid is a victim of racism.

eyeatoma wrote:Gb sucking off Jokic like he's got the last dick in the world. Would be nice for Joel to shut their mouths once and for all.

This is the greatest hijinx in NBA history. The dude is amazing but Embiid is better and schools him everytime.

What's worse is that that dodo Gobert is a multi dpoy winner while Embiid has destroyed him every time he's played.

What a terrible outcome for us these last 10 years.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

eyeatoma wrote:

Wrong, Embiid is just the unluckiest NBA player in the history of the game.

Jhawk03 wrote:
I have no problem with giving my thesis statement, there's an underlying racial motive that everyone and yet no one wants/likes/or feels convenient to address. If Joel grew up in the states, this racial motive would be a driving force for him... it would cause a chain reaction in his development, reasoning, adaptation, drive, motivation, etc considering his equal is freaking Nikola Jokic.

Like I said, I don't want to write about it, but Joel sorely missed growing up in the states.

It’s honestly just sad and embarrassing if this is a grown man posting this **** about Jokic.

I used to really despise LeBron when he was on Miami and always wanted him to lose. When he beat Boston I didn’t cry and post all sorts of childish garbage.

When he dropped 45 against us in game 6 in 2012 of the ECF I could appreciate the greatness I’d just seen.

Why even bother watching basketball if you’re so damn miserable and bitter about other players/teams?

That’s odd to assume Celtics beat Denver then, right? If you’re respecting Jokic?
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#8059 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed May 15, 2024 3:00 pm

thinktank wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thinktank wrote:

You said “RS doesn’t matter”, not me.

When?

Even if you want to toss aside the regular season, it’s obvious to everyone that the Celtics offence has far more weapons than Minnesota’s.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#8060 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed May 15, 2024 3:01 pm

thinktank wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:

That’s odd to assume Celtics beat Denver then, right? If you’re respecting Jokic?

You can respect a player and still have confidence in your team that is the current championship favourite.

Crazy concept I know.

Your Boston obsession is weird.

Return to The General Board