Age Limit for referees

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Mr. Savage
Banned User
And1: 1

Age Limit for referees 

Post#1 » by Mr. Savage » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Why can't the NBA implement an age limit for refs ?

It is proven that with age reaction and eye sight as well as overall athleticism decline.

FIFA has an age limit of 45 years for football. The German football (Not american egg football) has a limit of 47 and I am sure other countries pro football leagues also have an age limit in that are around 45 years.

Just imagine if Bennett Salvatore would not have been there in the 2006 finals because of an age limit that would have forced him to step down in 95. Same with Joey Crawford in 96. No Dick Bavetta in the 2002 Kings - Lakers Series.

The only thing that may speak for old refs is experience, but this experience only manifests itself in biases that these guys hold. Young refs tend to call games as they are rather than being biased from knowing certain coaches, players or other individuals associated to a team for many years.

Instead of introducing an age limit for players, the NBA really should introduce a 45 year age limit for refs.
raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Re: Age Limit for referees 

Post#2 » by raps4life~ » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Isn't Dick Bavetta like 70? He's one of the better refs IMO.
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#3 » by Bubstubbler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:14 pm

There's no age limit for true love

richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#4 » by richboy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:52 pm

Mr. Savage wrote:Why can't the NBA implement an age limit for refs ?

It is proven that with age reaction and eye sight as well as overall athleticism decline.

FIFA has an age limit of 45 years for football. The German football (Not american egg football) has a limit of 47 and I am sure other countries pro football leagues also have an age limit in that are around 45 years.

Just imagine if Bennett Salvatore would not have been there in the 2006 finals because of an age limit that would have forced him to step down in 95. Same with Joey Crawford in 96. No Dick Bavetta in the 2002 Kings - Lakers Series.

The only thing that may speak for old refs is experience, but this experience only manifests itself in biases that these guys hold. Young refs tend to call games as they are rather than being biased from knowing certain coaches, players or other individuals associated to a team for many years.

Instead of introducing an age limit for players, the NBA really should introduce a 45 year age limit for refs.

I think age discrimination is against the law in USA.

Your just pointing out a few games. Really some of the older guys are pretty good refs. Some of the worst refs are the young guys.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#5 » by UrbanLegendMD » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:54 pm

Yeah let Violet Palmers of the world into the league
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#6 » by Alyosha12 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 pm

richboy wrote:
Mr. Savage wrote:Why can't the NBA implement an age limit for refs ?

I think age discrimination is against the law in USA.

Your just pointing out a few games. Really some of the older guys are pretty good refs. Some of the worst refs are the young guys.

:roll:
Neato
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Champ
And1: 6,080

Post#7 » by Neato » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:25 pm

If I understand correctly, the issue isn't about whether it's illegal but rather if you can show a valid reason to exclude older people from being employed as a ref. Yes, there are laws against age discrimination in employment practices if the discrimination is unrelated to the job. If you can show a true job-related reason to institute age-related policies (like in air traffic control), you may have a case. Unfortunately, you need to show in some way that older refs perform poorly at their jobs. I don't think you will find that. Other than that, yeah, we would probably see some lawsuits filed against the NBA.
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#8 » by Alyosha12 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:02 pm

validity wrote:If I understand correctly, the issue isn't about whether it's illegal but rather if you can show a valid reason to exclude older people from being employed as a ref. Yes, there are laws against age discrimination in employment practices if the discrimination is unrelated to the job. If you can show a true job-related reason to institute age-related policies (like in air traffic control), you may have a case. Unfortunately, you need to show in some way that older refs perform poorly at their jobs. I don't think you will find that. Other than that, yeah, we would probably see some lawsuits filed against the NBA.

Exactly. And as far as finding reasons to institute an age-related policy the NBA could simply copy FIFAs reasons. If it could hold out in front of the European human rights court it could hold up in front of any court.
Cthulhu
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Cthulhu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Absolutely should be. Some of these dinosaurs can't even see, and they have years worth of grudges against certain players, teams, ect.

There was a article with an unnamed player stating how the younger refs were much better.

And Dick Bavetta is an AWFUL ref. Dan Crawford, Salvatorre and Bavetta are absolute cheaters.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#10 » by BubbaTee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 pm

I'd have no problem with a rule if you could show that old refs were substantially worse than young refs.

However, from what I've seen young refs are just as capable of blowing calls as the geezers.
Wiz Khalifa
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#11 » by Wiz Khalifa » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:09 am

I wondered about this too.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,900

Post#12 » by Sofia » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:18 am

Yeah lets bring in all these inexperienced young refs, there will be nothing to complain about then...
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#13 » by Last Guardian » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:41 am

Younger eyes would make sense. But really, the whole system basically needs a makeover. I don't know how it should be done, but I am sure a smart person could figure it out.

Perhaps a genious of some kind could develop robot refs, who are 100% accurate on every call.

Return to The General Board