Kobe and Steve: an appreciation

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Morphology
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Kobe and Steve: an appreciation 

Post#21 » by Morphology » Fri May 28, 2010 5:22 pm

JimMurray wrote:Why does the thread have to turn into this. Can't it just be Kobe and Steve are two great players engaged in a tough series in the WCF...and how effin cool is that?

Agree. I took the bait there and shall try to refrain from doing so in future. Cheers.
kobeaki
Veteran
And1: 6

Post#22 » by kobeaki » Fri May 28, 2010 5:26 pm

what a beautiful article...f all the haters(both sides) in this thread.
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

XuDa wrote:Magic, Bird and the other 80#s HOF'ers were holding the league back and stunting it's development big time.

:lol:
Kariya
Rookie
And1: 13

Post#23 » by Kariya » Fri May 28, 2010 5:32 pm

Way to ruin an awesome thread, Kid Vicious.
Before I walked through life, now I frolic.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,975

Post#24 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri May 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:It's kind of an insult to compare Nash to Kobe, no?

I don't look at it that way at all. If you look at career accomplishments, then yeah, Kobe is a good ways ahead.

But if you strip it down and look simply at the pure players, and the thousands of hours of work they've obviously put into their respective games, they mirror each other closely.

Just like Kobe, Steve Nash is a warrior who has worked his ass off to become the player he is. I guarantee you if you asked Kobe to list the opponents he respects most, Steve would be near the top of the list.

And he should be.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#25 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri May 28, 2010 6:18 pm

JimMurray wrote:Why does the thread have to turn into this. Can't it just be Kobe and Steve are two great players engaged in a tough series in the WCF...and how effin cool is that?

Amen. I hated that Steve was doing what he did to us last night, because I would have preferred being able to enjoy it completely. An absolute masterclass of skill and basketball IQ.

And Kobe...I don't know what else can be said. He's having one of the best playoff series of his career. The points are expected, but the way he's seeing the court is outstanding. Can't ask for anything more.
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#26 » by MaryvalesFinest » Fri May 28, 2010 6:23 pm

One guy either can't play defense or doesn't have the physical tools to do so and the other guy proved he needed help to win rings and couldn't do it on his own.
NYK 455
General Manager
And1: 161

Post#27 » by NYK 455 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:33 pm

At least win 1 ring before you compare the greatest player of his generation to a guy that never made the finals.

Nash was a nice player in his era, just not good enough....and the era was officially closed last night when that buzzer beater went in.

The fat lady's warming up and about to serenade the end of the Sun's era.

No, it's not. Kobe has had more post season success, but he's played on better teams than Nash. Not to mention, the majority of his Titles haven't been as the best player on his team.

Anyway, Nash and Kobe are two of the best of this generation. They both deserve respect.
dm17415
Head Coach
And1: 172

Post#28 » by dm17415 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:44 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:
SpursDynasty4 wrote:

At least win 1 ring before you compare the greatest player of his generation

Did you forget the green font?

There are two other players that have 3 Finals MVP's a piece that belong ahead of Kobe on that list. Third place isn't bad though ;)

Kobe with 5 rings > Duncan and Shaq (4 rings each)

This season will establish Kobe as the undisputed greatest player since MJ...the script has already been written and we are all witnesses.

There's just no disputing what a great player Kobe is....it is truly amazing to witness how competitive and clutch he is. I used to be a Kobe hater, but I have no choice but to respect the man's game and dedication. I don't think there is any doubting that he is the greatest of the era.

So when did Kobe win his 5th ring?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#29 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri May 28, 2010 6:50 pm

MaryvalesFinest wrote:...and the other guy proved he needed help to win rings and couldn't do it on his own.

Name a single player in NBA history who could.
JimMurray
Banned User

Post#30 » by JimMurray » Fri May 28, 2010 6:50 pm

MaryvalesFinest wrote:One guy either can't play defense or doesn't have the physical tools to do so and the other guy proved he needed help to win rings and couldn't do it on his own.

No player in the history of basketball has ever won a ring without the help of other good players. You're a tool...kill yourself...never breed.

Cough, Cough....sorry about that.

I'm trying to be civil....must remember we can't all have common sense
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 943

Post#31 » by raptorforlife88 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Some people are just incredibly dense. We just watched two of the best players in the league dominate one of the best games during the playoffs and all they can do is complain.
FinalsMVP
Sophomore

Post#32 » by FinalsMVP » Fri May 28, 2010 6:55 pm

NYK 455 wrote:

At least win 1 ring before you compare the greatest player of his generation to a guy that never made the finals.

Nash was a nice player in his era, just not good enough....and the era was officially closed last night when that buzzer beater went in.

No, it's not. Kobe has had more post season success, but he's played on better teams than Nash. Not to mention, the majority of his Titles haven't been as the best player on his team.

Anyway, Nash and Kobe are two of the best of this generation. They both deserve respect.

Yeah, they are only better because Kobe makes them better. You dig, son?

A team that wins a championship is better than a team that doesn't. And those teams won because they had Kobe.

To suggest that Nash didn't have teams that were legit contenders and FAVORITES in some years to win the title is flat out wrong.

Nash is great, but I'm not going to let you come in here and rewrite history with your silly revisionist theory.
Wiscfan92
Starter
And1: 206

Post#33 » by Wiscfan92 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:58 pm

I can't believe Nash is 36, still amazes me. Big fan of Kobe I love how he plays and how he views the game, but I really want Nash to just get 1 ring cause he's relentless playing with all those broken bones and stictches all the time.
Play your role till your role change. Pay your dues till your dues paid.
NYK 455
General Manager

Post#34 » by NYK 455 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:01 pm

FinalsMVP wrote:
NYK 455 wrote:

A team that wins a championship is better than a team that doesn't. And those teams won because they had Kobe.

To suggest that Nash didn't have teams that were legit contenders and FAVORITES in some years to win the title is flat out wrong.

Nash is great, but I'm not going to let you come in here and rewrite history with your silly revisionist theory.

Spin it any way you want, but Kobe has had far better teams than Nash. This squad wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs this year.
NYK 455
General Manager

Post#35 » by NYK 455 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:05 pm

FinalsMVP wrote:
NYK 455 wrote:

And as far as revisionist history goes, everyone should stop talking about Kobes four rings like he led them to those rings. He wasn't the best player on 3 of those teams.
JimMurray
Banned User

Post#36 » by JimMurray » Fri May 28, 2010 7:09 pm

You know, it's almost impossible to be nice to Suns fans. I genuinely like their team, Steve Nash, Alvin Gentry, and I'd be rooting for them if they weren't playing the Lakers. But they're making it near impossible.

Ezekiel 25:17

The Path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and they tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shephards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brothers keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Now I've been saying that s*** for years. And if you heard it, that meant your ass. I never gave much thought to what it meant, I just thought it was some cold blooded s*** to say to a mother effer before I popped a cap in his ass.

I saw some s*** this morning that made me think twice. See, now I'm thinking, maybe it means your the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. 9mm here is the shepherd protecting my righteous ass from the valley of darkness. Or it could mean, you're the righteous man, and I'm the shepherd, and it's the world thats evil and selfish. And I like that. But that s*** ain't the truth.

The truth is, you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.
KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect

Post#37 » by KobeFarmarEra » Fri May 28, 2010 7:13 pm

NYK 455 wrote:And as far as revisionist history goes, everyone should stop talking about Kobes four rings like he led them to those rings. He wasn't the best player on 3 of those teams.

He was their best defender, facilitator and closer. A 21 year old was the FIRST OPTION to close the game over PEAK Shaq. Think about that.

Revisionist history = perpetual Kobe haters downplaying his impact during the three-peat. Shaq has proven he couldn't win without an elite wing closing the game for him. Something Hakeem proved he could and did with Shaq trying to guard him.

Kobe could very end up with 2 repeats with two entirely different teams. There's no hiding from that greatness. 7 finals in 11 years.
IceNcream27
Senior

Post#38 » by IceNcream27 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:16 pm

JimMurray wrote:
MaryvalesFinest wrote:One guy either can't play defense or doesn't have the physical tools to do so and the other guy proved he needed help to win rings and couldn't do it on his own.

No player in the history of basketball has ever won a ring without the help of other good players. You're a tool...kill yourself...never breed.

Cough, Cough....sorry about that.

I'm trying to be civil....must remember we can't all have common sense

this argument has already been put to bed and beaten to death.

As if Jordan went 1 on 5 and didnt have scottie pippen, Rodman, Kukoc

Shaq didnt have Wade or Kobe - when in 97 he had Eddie Jones- Nick Van Exel, Kobe, and himself and couldnt do it

TD didnt have Ginobli or Robinson Tony Parker

Hakeem- Clyde

Jerry West- Gail Goodrich Wilt

Magic - Kareem Worthy

WORST ARGUMENT EVER
JimMurray
Banned User

Post#39 » by JimMurray » Fri May 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Nevermind NYK455. He hates' all things purple and gold, and takes any and every opportunity to bash Kobe. He attempts to imbrue all things associated with praising Kobe Bryant above good player status. You have to take anything he says with a grain of salt...he's not intelligent enough to appreciate greatness. He has to come on here to turn a love thread into a hate thread because life has dealt him a hand that requires him to translate his envy into adolescent vitriol. Usually, whenever NYK checks in....that's my que to check out. It's about to go all downhill from there.
dm17415
Head Coach
And1: 172

Post#40 » by dm17415 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:23 pm

JimMurray wrote:You know, it's almost impossible to be nice to Suns fans. I genuinely like their team, Steve Nash, Alvin Gentry, and I'd be rooting for them if they weren't playing the Lakers. But they're making it near impossible.

Ezekiel 25:17

The Path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and they tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shephards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brothers keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Now I've been saying that s*** for years. And if you heard it, that meant your ass. I never gave much thought to what it meant, I just thought it was some cold blooded s*** to say to a mother effer before I popped a cap in his ass.

I saw some s*** this morning that made me think twice. See, now I'm thinking, maybe it means your the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. 9mm here is the shepherd protecting my righteous ass from the valley of darkness. Or it could mean, you're the righteous man, and I'm the shepherd, and it's the world thats evil and selfish. And I like that. But that s*** ain't the truth.

The truth is, you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Return to The General Board