Nets turned down Dooling for Beasley?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Re: Nets turned down Dooling for Beasley? 

Post#61 » by miltk » Wed Jun 2, 2010 11:23 pm

maybe no one wants to babysit beasley and it's just way too much headache and concern.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#62 » by Malinhion » Wed Jun 2, 2010 11:35 pm

Miami wouldn't unload Beasley for cap space, unless it could also dump the contracts of Cook and Jones.

Don't forget that Miami needs to fill out the rest of the roster. Even if this 21-year-old kid has hit his peak, he's still on a rookie contract. The Heat aren't going to find a third option anywhere else for the price of his contract, even if it's another season of 15/6.

Do you people actually expect Miami to blow its load on three guys if they have a completely blank cap? They would have to fill out the roster with league minimum exceptions. You'd get the bottom of the barrel ring chasers and D-leaguers. A team that probably still won't win until it goes through another offseason and can use some cap exceptions.

I swear NBA fans will believe the dumbest crap. When is the last time Riley got ripped in a trade?
Wade County
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#63 » by Wade County » Thu Jun 3, 2010 12:10 am

If getting 3 max free agents and all min players meant wade, lebron, and bosh it would be worth it.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#64 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 12:13 am

Malinhion wrote:Miami wouldn't unload Beasley for cap space, unless it could also dump the contracts of Cook and Jones.

Don't forget that Miami needs to fill out the rest of the roster. Even if this 21-year-old kid has hit his peak, he's still on a rookie contract. The Heat aren't going to find a third option anywhere else for the price of his contract, even if it's another season of 15/6.

Do you people actually expect Miami to blow its load on three guys if they have a completely blank cap? They would have to fill out the roster with league minimum exceptions. You'd get the bottom of the barrel ring chasers and D-leaguers. A team that probably still won't win until it goes through another offseason and can use some cap exceptions.

I swear NBA fans will believe the dumbest crap. When is the last time Riley got ripped in a trade?

Ricky Davis deal !

(sorry I had to :D )
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Chosen01
RealGM
And1: 534

Post#65 » by Chosen01 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 12:51 am

magicfan4life05 wrote:
Malinhion wrote:Miami wouldn't unload Beasley for cap space, unless it could also dump the contracts of Cook and Jones.

Ricky Davis deal !

yea.. I was gonna say ib4 ricky davis trade.. but yea,:lol: thats one of the only trades that were dumb, but most of the other trades, Riley usually rips the other team off.
MVP-3
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#66 » by MVP-3 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 12:52 am

A "Heat Insider" who has predicted a lot of stuff in advance shed some light in on this in the Heat Board. Pat actually offered Beas for Dooling and a draft pick (probably the 3rd). That's why it was turned down.
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#67 » by ahonui06 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 12:55 am

Nets obviously wanted the cap room to decline that trade.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#68 » by microfib4thewin » Thu Jun 3, 2010 1:10 am

Malinhion wrote:I swear NBA fans will believe the dumbest crap. When is the last time Riley got ripped in a trade?

But Rod Thorn is also a good GM, so this would be another circlejerk argument on which GM will be ripping the other off first. Personally it's not something I would dive into.

I don't see why Riley wouldn't try his hand at getting 3 max FA, it worked out fine for Boston. Looking at the past championship teams most of them aren't relying on the 1-2 punch combo anymore. You'd need at least two great players and one borderline allstar to get the job done.

MVP-3 wrote:A "Heat Insider" who has predicted a lot of stuff in advance shed some light in on this in the Heat Board. Pat actually offered Beas for Dooling and a draft pick (probably the 3rd). That's why it was turned down.

The Nets would have turned that down anyways without the #3 involved.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#69 » by richboy » Thu Jun 3, 2010 2:58 am

Really this would have been a bad trade for the Nets. Dooing's contract isn't guaranteed. If they made this deal they would have pretty much taken themselves out of getting 2 big free agents this offseason. If they can't get 2 free agents I don't think they can get 1 free agent. No one is going to go play in NJ by themselves. No question Riley knew that.

Beasley will probably get traded for not very much. Not because of his trade value. Because Miami would rather have cap space than more bodies.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#70 » by richboy » Thu Jun 3, 2010 3:03 am

If they signed Lebron and Bosh with Wade they could win now. Riley almost did it before. Remember they were very thin after the Shaq trade. Riley knows that if you give me 3 great players I can put spot up shooters and cheap veterans around them and win. I wrote before that with so many teams under the cap that you could see some pretty good players have to sign vet minimum deals.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#71 » by Basileus777 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 3:03 am

MVP-3 wrote:A "Heat Insider" who has predicted a lot of stuff in advance shed some light in on this in the Heat Board. Pat actually offered Beas for Dooling and a draft pick (probably the 3rd). That's why it was turned down.

Why assume it's the third and not the Mavs pick? No one would give up cap-space and the third pick for Beasley.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#72 » by Blame Rasho » Thu Jun 3, 2010 3:16 am

I call BS on this...

Beasley hasn't been great but common... this is just too stupid for it to be remotely true. It is just someone out there that wants to get his name on the news.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#73 » by Malinhion » Thu Jun 3, 2010 6:12 am

magicfan4life05 wrote:

Ricky Davis deal !

Miami reduced its overall financial commitment and dumped Antoine Walker's contract, who had scored 8.5 points on .397 shooting the year before. Literally the entire arena would scream "NOOOOOO!" every time he thought about shooting.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#74 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Thu Jun 3, 2010 6:57 am

Malinhion wrote:
magicfan4life05 wrote:

Ricky Davis deal !

Miami reduced its overall financial commitment and dumped Antoine Walker's contract, who had scored 8.5 points on .397 shooting the year before. Literally the entire arena would scream "NOOOOOO!" every time he thought about shooting.

Come on now, that was a bad trade in retrospect, no other way to put it.

Antoine was expiring, Blount was not. Ricky provided nothing. AND we gave them a 1st round pick.

There was nothing good about that deal, nothing. Hell, Mark Blount was a worse basketball player than Walker was. The only potential positive would have been Ricky somehow giving us a spark that year, but it didn't work and we wound up with 15 wins. Failure.

Return to The General Board