Nets turned down Dooling for Beasley?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

HootieRules
Veteran
And1: 82

Re: Nets turned down Dooling for Beasley? 

Post#41 » by HootieRules » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:20 pm

Dry_Fish wrote:
HootieRules wrote:
thierry wrote:I believe it, and I also believe it was a good offer by Miami and a better rejection by NJ. This trade would have major implications on the offseason as Miami would have more money to play with in the free agency and NJ would lose a chunk of their salary which would put Miami in a better position in both ways, having NJ in a bad spot and themselves in a good one, and vice versa with NJ. Casual fans have no brain power ftl.

+1

Why is this so farfetched?

For Miami: What's better? 3 max guys OR 2 max guys + Beasley? Because that's essentially what Riley is trying to do here.

For New Jersey: If you don't think much of Beasley then why take him on and give a team in your conference the ability to clear more capspace?

That's assuming they can get 3 max guy - you don't trade Beasley and hope 2max guys (ignoring wade) agree to join......unless there is something going on that we don't know

I guess we differ on the value of Beasley then
miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#42 » by miamiballer » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:22 pm

if true, i could see riley trying to dump beasley and cook on another team

beasley, cook, 1st for a 2nd

thats a pckg i think a lot of teams woudl do, namely wash and sac

who would the 2 fa's be? IMO amare on a max deal and boozer at about 12-13 mil/yr
HootieRules
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#43 » by HootieRules » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:29 pm

miamiballer wrote:if true, i could see riley trying to dump beasley and cook on another team

who would the 2 fa's be? IMO amare on a max deal and boozer at about 12-13 mil/yr

To me if their trying to get rid of Beasley then Wade/Bosh/LeBron or Wade/Bosh/Amare is what they're shooting for.
CoolD
Lead Assistant
And1: 971

Post#44 » by CoolD » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:38 pm

HootieRules wrote:
miamiballer wrote:if true, i could see riley trying to dump beasley and cook on another team

To me if their trying to get rid of Beasley then Wade/Bosh/LeBron or Wade/Bosh/Amare is what they're shooting for.

We still have to move James Jones and Cook.
I think James Jones could be cancelled, but still have to play him close to 2 million for the next couple years. And I think it counts against the cap.
The problem I see, Riley would want to get rid of Cook Beasley and James Jones in package.
This would make sense,, but Beasley makes 5 million, a lot of teams that are not in the 2010 running would take him. The kid is in a rookie contract, started for 47 win team.
You don't get that many 21 year olds, that can start fo ar 47 win teams, for basically nothing.
Beasley might be the favorite scapegoat, but a guy like Durant, his young friend would love him.
Riley would be stupid also creating all the space, but then ending with
Wade, Gay and Boozer.
Unless Riley is 100 percent sure, also Riley doesn't panic, he would wait till the draft, to get a better deal.
It just seems like Riley unloading him too soon.
Everyone knows Heat might trade him, but my guess, Bosh and LeBron would have to be in the bag.
Also we need to move James Jones and Cook too.
Cook is 100 times worst than Beasley, so it makes no sense Riley wanting to dump Beasley that bad, but not Cook also.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#45 » by dockingsched » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:39 pm

EwwItsRasho wrote:If anyone read the snippet in the first post, they would realize that this trade was merely for cap space. The Heat saw they could benefit more from the cap space provided by trading Beasley, and offered a deal to the Nets, who also did not want to hinder their cap space. I think the Heat are thinking more 'big picture', as in Keeping Beasley vs. a Championship Contender with that excess cap space. $25 million + Dwayne Wade may not get them two max free agents, but it could get them two solid free agents, such as Boozer and Joe Johnson, or a max free agent and a borderline all-star.

good post. spot on.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Legendary 33
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#46 » by Legendary 33 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:40 pm

sdeezy wrote:Is Beasleys trade value that bad? Keyon Dooling?? and the Nets rejected it?, i don't know whether to be confused or to just laugh. I doubt this is true

same here, but I ended up laughing
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#47 » by microfib4thewin » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:40 pm

HootieRules wrote:
Tim_Hardawayy wrote:Heat board insider says rumor is true, but that Miami also wanted the #3 pick in the draft. That is certainly a lot more believable of something Riley would try to pull.

:rofl: @ Riley

Ya.... not happening. Even without the #3 pick I don't know why people think it's so farfetched for them to send Beasley away for caproom. People should stop treating Beasley as if he still has the trade value of a #2 pick.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#48 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:45 pm

microfib4thewin wrote:
HootieRules wrote:
Tim_Hardawayy wrote:Heat board insider says rumor is true, but that Miami also wanted the #3 pick in the draft. That is certainly a lot more believable of something Riley would try to pull.

:rofl: @ Riley

Ya.... not happening. Even without the #3 pick I don't know why people think it's so farfetched for them to send Beasley away for caproom. People should stop treating Beasley as if he still has the trade value of a #2 pick.

Nobody's treating him like that. You realize there is a massive, grand canyon sized chasm of difference between "trade value of a #2 pick" and "trade value of zero", yes?
miamiballer
General Manager

Post#49 » by miamiballer » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:46 pm

he doesnt have the value of a # 2 pick

but he doenst haev keyon dooling type value either

come on now
CoolD
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by CoolD » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:46 pm

Beasley is 5 million piece, that is 21 years old.
That started for a 47 win team.
Was second leading scorer in our team.
The kid didn't have his break out year, but unless dude is beyond crazy.
Noah got caught with weed, Rose stab himself, cheated in College, gang signs, a lot of players have had off the court issues.

I don't think many GM's would pass up, getting Beasley for basically nothing.
Lets talk about a 12 win team, that has no talent to begin with, what do they have to lose.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#51 » by dockingsched » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:48 pm

its not about keyon dooling. its about the capspace that comes with it, and what a team can do with that. when looked at it from that pov, its very understandable that beasley is less valuable.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
miamiballer
General Manager

Post#52 » by miamiballer » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:48 pm

as prev mentioned if it was just beasley for dooling, it prob has more to do with NJ wanting max cap than beasley's value
miamiballer
General Manager

Post#53 » by miamiballer » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:48 pm

dcash4 wrote:its not about keyon dooling. its about the capspace that comes with it, and what a team can do with that. when looked at it from that pov, its very understandable that beasley is less valuable.

for nj, absolutely

but not for teams like minn and sac
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#54 » by jeff1624 » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:49 pm

CoolD wrote:Beasley is 5 million piece, that is 21 years old.
That started for a 47 win team.
Was second leading scorer in our team.
The kid didn't have his break out year, but unless dude is beyond crazy.
Noah got caught with weed, Rose stab himself, cheated in College, gang signs, a lot of players have had off the court issues.

I don't think many GM's would pass up, getting Beasley for basically nothing.
Lets talk about a 12 win team, that has no talent to begin with, what do they have to lose.

Players on the Nets I wouldn't trade for Beasley.. Lopez, Harris, T-Will, whoever we pick at #3.. So yeah, we're a 12 win team but stop the no talent talk.
Dat Leadership
Malinhion
Banned User

Post#55 » by Malinhion » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:50 pm

I smell bull.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#56 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:52 pm

dcash4 wrote:its not about keyon dooling. its about the capspace that comes with it, and what a team can do with that. when looked at it from that pov, its very understandable that beasley is less valuable.

Beasley's value is at least high enough that we could package Cook with him, if it were about the capspace.

So no, I'm not buying it.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#57 » by microfib4thewin » Wed Jun 2, 2010 10:56 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:Nobody's treating him like that. You realize there is a massive, grand canyon sized chasm of difference between "trade value of a #2 pick" and "trade value of zero", yes?

Camby was traded to the Clippers for nothing but the right to swap a 2nd rounder. It's not because Camby is on a terrible contract or that he has no value as a player, but Denver was desperate to get under the tax so they sent Camby away without any assets in return. In Miami's case, it depends on how much they value the extra caproom. If Riley thinks it's a imperative that the Heat have enough room for two max + 1 near max FA, then there's enough motivation to trade Beasley for an unguaranteed contract.
Lord Leoshes
Banned User

Post#58 » by Lord Leoshes » Wed Jun 2, 2010 11:11 pm

OK now that's more realistic.
CoolD
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by CoolD » Wed Jun 2, 2010 11:14 pm

microfib4thewin wrote:
Tim_Hardawayy wrote:Nobody's treating him like that. You realize there is a massive, grand canyon sized chasm of difference between "trade value of a #2 pick" and "trade value of zero", yes?

Camby was traded to the Clippers for nothing but the right to swap a 2nd rounder. It's not because Camby is on a terrible contract or that he has no value as a player, but Denver was desperate to get under the tax so they sent Camby away without any assets in return. In Miami's case, it depends on how much they value the extra caproom. If Riley thinks it's a imperative that the Heat have enough room for two max + 1 near max FA, then there's enough motivation to trade Beasley for an unguaranteed contract.

I think people know Riles would trade Beasley in a minute.
But we also have James Jones, is a team option, but the team still has to pay him close to 2 million, every year till his contract ends.. If they cancel his contract.
Then also Cook another 2 million.
I think if Riley is planning this, he would have to shave off a couple more million than just Beasley, Beasley is probably the most tradeable of the three.
Also Riley can get better value around the draft.
It seems a bit panicky of Riley to totally lose his cool, and give his hand away this far ahead, unless, the number three pick was part of the deal, thus Riley would like to have the trade done, so he could plan how to play in the draft with the third pick.
But it seems very panicky of Riley to dump Beasley for nothing, and we still have month before LeBron and Bosh.

So unless the third pick was part of what Riley wanted, I don't buy it.
Play_Smart!
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#60 » by Play_Smart! » Wed Jun 2, 2010 11:23 pm

Why people still don't get it? For most teams, cap space in 2010 >>>> Beasley, until all major players are settled down. Then some teams left empty handed might take a shot at Beasley if the asking price is so low. But by that time, I'm not sure whether Miami would trade Beasley for pure TPE.

Return to The General Board