Who else wants to see the Heat fully embrace villain status?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

litex
Veteran
And1: 425

Who else wants to see the Heat fully embrace villain status? 

Post#1 » by litex » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Like most people, I hated the Decision, and think the current Heat are one of the least likable teams ever.

I think that any chance this team has of becoming beloved by the nation, or of being seen as the "good guys" of the league (as LBJ and Wade were before the move), has been basically destroyed. Even if they win, people will still just hate them more.

Now, one way to counteract this would be to try to seem as nice and goody goody as they can from here on out. Say all the "right" things, try to pretend they're humble, and just slowly attempt to rebuild their image. The thing is, I don't think this would work. LBJ is widely and rightly perceived as being very fake, and the arrogance of all 3 players has been made abundantly clear. No one is going to buy their humility.

So, if you can't fight the image, why not just embrace it? Instead of trying to make everyone love them, just enjoy the role as villains. Be cocky. Talk trash. Don't worry about saying the right things. Run up the score. Act like the 07 Patriots, the University of Miami teams in the 80's, the old-school Oakland Raiders teams--or, to invoke the comparison everyone else is making, the NWO. Make it clear that they are the big bullies of the league, and they are going to kick everyone else's ass and take their lunch money.

In a way, if they did this the Heat would actually become much more enjoyable to me, because they could be the greatest villains the league has ever seen. Rooting against them would be so fun, and they'd attract a lot of fans nationwide too, because lots of people like rooting for the "bad boys".

I really think this is how they should play it going forward.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Who else wants to see the Heat fully embrace villain status? 

Post#2 » by Malinhion » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:49 pm

See my sig.

The evil empire is here. I'm loving the hate.
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Post#3 » by mopper8 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:50 pm

I agree.
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
xkirruax
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by xkirruax » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Lol yet lets make the NBA more like the WWE then it already is. We can have Sterns come in and reverse any charge calls vs any heat players and make them Flag 1 so they get 2 ft and the ball back.....
Heat11114
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 99

Post#5 » by Heat11114 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Miami may be hated by the more hardcore fans, but they will have a lot of casual fans around the league. Sure the contending teams will hate them, but when they play in Mil, GS, LAC, Memphis, Charlotte, Atlanta, Washington, Sac, Minnesota etc etc there won't be 20,000 because they want to boo them.
"To do what others can't you must do what others won't"
"People don't lack strength... They lack will"
miamiheat0323
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by miamiheat0323 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:00 pm

i do, Being a miami heat, miami dolphin and florida marlin fan. Everyone just considereds us in the middle of the league. no one really cares about us. but now i would love to be recognized, even if its for a villain
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#7 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Heat11114 wrote:Miami may be hated by the more hardcore fans, but they will have a lot of casual fans around the league. Sure the contending teams will hate them, but when they play in Mil, GS, LAC, Memphis, Charlotte, Atlanta, Washington, Sac, Minnesota etc etc there won't be 20,000 because they want to boo them.

In Milwaukee everybody will go nuts for them for about half a quarter and then the super star calls will start coming and it'll get ugly.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#8 » by Flash3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Like someone already said, Miami will appeal to the casual fan who really have no allegiance to a team. Yet, the true die hards will hate them, and rightfully so. If I was a fan of the Lakers, why would I support/like Miami? They are my team's competition.
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
And1: 339

Post#9 » by Dr Pepper » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Lakers will always be the the villains. Winning is what attracts haters, thats why people trash Yankee and Laker fans.
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#10 » by LApwnd » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Mia is only hated on because of James IMO, nobody had any issues with them when it was just Bosh. Really whats to hate I mean its not like they're Guaranteeing the next 7 titles.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#11 » by Volcano » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:10 pm

I hate teams that suck and are boring to watch (besides my own)..I enjoy watching Lakers and Boston (when they stepped it up in the playoffs) because they play a high level of basketball. I'm anxious to see Miami go to work as well. However, I don't particularly like any of these teams..it's just that the Raptors are insignificant, so it doesn't matter whichever team wins.

I like classy organizations with classy players, like the Spurs/Rockets. They're also capable of playing smart ball at a high level.
jjin28
Rookie
And1: 127

Post#12 » by jjin28 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:11 pm

As a Laker fan, I don't hate the Heat one bit....
How can you hate on something that hasn't been established yet? MJ was hated on, Kobe was hated on, Lakers are hated on, Celtics are hated on, Yankees are hated on, Muhammad Ali was hated on, etc.....Its b/c they actually won somethin and were great.

But i am hating the miami fans lately b/c they already acting all elitist these days when nothings been done.
YounG_A
Starter
And1: 161

Post#13 » by YounG_A » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:15 pm

I think they already started embracing the villain role

*see the Heat welcoming party and press conference*
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#14 » by Lamak » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:20 pm

LApwnd wrote:Mia is only hated on because of James IMO, nobody had any issues with them when it was just Bosh.
/thread
Brooklyn Nets
Kobe>Jordan>God
Analyst
And1: 872

Post#15 » by Kobe>Jordan>God » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:21 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MCrnKZ3yf0[/youtube]
ImageImage
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,135

Post#16 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:24 pm

I would laugh so hard if the Heat entrance video this year was NWO
jjin28
Rookie
And1: 127

Post#17 » by jjin28 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Lamak wrote:
LApwnd wrote:Mia is only hated on because of James IMO, nobody had any issues with them when it was just Bosh.
/thread

Don't really think that statement is an /thread stmt.
Miami wasn't hated on w/ bosh n wade at that point b/c they didn't come out with the ridiculous nationally televised super event of the player introductions followed by the ridiculous statements coming out of the 3 lil mice mouths. Also, didn't have 1000 miami ballboys sign up at that point either. Also didn't have the 1 hour special at that point.
bgroban
Junior
And1: 48

Post#18 » by bgroban » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Too premature to compare the Heat to the Yankees. The Yankees are one of the most successful sports franchises on the planet. The Heat, well, they're not even close.

Until the Heat start winning championships with their new Big 3, the media is going to be the only group hyping the villain card.
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#19 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 pm

did you not see the Heat intro :lol:

posing for the cameras, talking about the dynastys ,
The Heat annoucer screaming "VISTORS BEWARE" :lol:

Miami is definitely embracing the villain image
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#20 » by Malinhion » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:20 pm

CB4MiamiHeat wrote:did you not see the Heat intro :lol:

posing for the cameras, talking about the dynastys ,
The Heat annoucer screaming "VISTORS BEWARE" :lol:

Miami is definitely embracing the villain image

Your avatar is photobucket'd.

Return to The General Board