This is Ricky Rubio

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Re: This is Ricky Rubio 

Post#281 » by BubbaTee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Human Being wrote:
BubbaTee wrote:
Where's Pau going to be this summer? I can tell you where he's not going to be.
Maybe the WCs were the most important thing to Pau way back when, but they aren't now. Maybe they were the most important thing. I remember when the most important thing in my life was going to the 6th grade dance, but today I realize how little it mattered in the big picture.

Welcome to 2010, where Pau has moved on to bigger and better things than trying to beat Team USA's junior varsity team.

ugh... I can't figure you out - you make some good comments and then follow them up with some of the dumbest thing ever (I'm referring to 2006 WC and USA not caring argument).
Of course, Pau was crying at WC because he hadn't played in Olympics before, nor NBA - which is the reason why he was so overwhelmed - just as you in the 6th grade :roll:
He is resting because now he realises how stupid he was thinking WC is worth something - and it has absolutely nothing with the fact that he hasn't had any rest for 4 years straight... :roll:

If the FIBA WCs were as important as you claim, then they should be the last thing Pau is willing to skip in order to rest. Instead Pau should have skipped the Olympics if they are, as you claim, less important.

BubbaTee wrote:The 2000 US Olympic team was undefeated and won gold, for the 3rd straight Olympics. Average margin of victory in group play was 29 points/game. I know the rest of the world likes to count close losses vs the US as moral victories, but moral victories aren't the same as real victories, and at the end of the day no one cares about moral victories other than losing teams.
And no one cared about the 2002 WCs except for Carlos Arroyo's mom.

so? who are these people? who were complacent fans/players/executives? I wonder who are those morons who watch margin of victory in group games?
In the 2002 WCs (about which you "didn't care") the average margin of victory for USA in group stage was 32.5 points (which includes a LOSS to Argentina) = the average margin of VICTORY in group stage was 38,75! Yet they managed to loss 3 of their final 4 games!
Fun fact: USA was in second place in their group with 32.5 point average margin (Argentina was first with 24.2) and had to play with the 3rd place of the other group Serbia which had average margin of 25, while the first place in that group had average margin of 4.4!!!
IN other words, average margin of victory doesn't mean **** and many other teams also have good margins of victory. And the ones who pay attention to something more than average point margin in group stage saw that Olympic gold wasn't won by 29 point margin, but only because USA was lucky enough for Jasikevicus to miss last second triple in semis and beat France by whooping 10 points in Final - nothing to be complacent about.

And yet there was no strong reaction by USA Basketball following the 2002 WCs. Team USA continued to be assembled as it had been since 1994, thrown together haphazardly with little regard to team chemistry or player roles or suitability for FIBA play. The complacency came from a belief that America's natural basketball superiority would still manage to compensate when the bright lights came on, regardless of whatever hiccups they'd had leading up to the Olympics.

2) 9 of 12 players who got the place in Olympics in 2003 elected not to participate in olympics in 2004. Sounds like the players [don't] care about world championships just as much as Olympic games. And the fans are the ones that make WC sour grapes because USA has actually won some olympics in last 15 years unlike WC.

BubbaTee wrote:Isn't that what I just said, that USA Basketball had grown complacent by 2004?

No, it is what I said - USA was so pissed of that they were humiliated in 2002 that they got one of their strongest teams and qualified for olympics in 2003, but 9 of 12 players didn't care enough for the olympics to lose 2 summers in a row - I guess they realised that Olympics don't mean more than WC and are around the same level as your 6th grade dance (for them).

Maybe one of their strongest FIBA Americas teams, but not up to the standard of Olympic teams outside of 2004. The 2003 team had Nick Collison. Nothing against Collison, but he's not even Christian Laettner. Tim Duncan hates FIBA play. Allen Iverson and Larry Brown would have been the NBA's top-rated soap opera at the time if not for Shaq-Kobe.

2002-03 was a precursor to the 2004 debacle. Again there was a lack of continuity and chemistry in favor of just slapping a bunch of big names together like it was a McDonald's All-American game. George Karl, the 2002 coach, and Paul Pierce, the 2002 leading USA scorer, were both missing in 2003.

3) USA woke up in 2004 and still lost in 2006 WC with almost the same team (minus Kobe) that won in 2008.

BubbaTee wrote:Again repeating: the US doesn't care about the WCs, whether in 2002 or 2006 or 2018.

Are you being sarcastic? I guess you are right:
a) all the players after loss in 2006 weren't pissed of and weren't claiming to definitely participate in olympics to take "revenge" and show that USA can still do something on basketball court - they were saying "yes, this loss was expected, we are here on a training camp actually preparing for the olympics in two years";
b) yes, that team wasn't assembled with the sole purpose of wining;
c) I bet before the semis the guys were in huddle like:
Ok, so everyone remember: this is WC and not the olympics. I realise you sacrificed your vacation to train and come to Japan, but remember that we are here to full around, because this is WC and we are not supposed to take this seriously. I realise that some of you have the stupid idea of representing your country or wining, but I repeat - this is not why we are here! Do not take this game seriously - go out and loose - we have to win in 2 years not here!

Players on the court try to win at the end of NBA preseason games too, just as players on the court at the end of NBA Finals games try to win those. It doesn't mean the preseason is comparable to the Finals, even if in the preseason guys in the huddle aren't saying "Let's lose!"

Heck, the reason the US even plays the WCs is to qualify for the Olympics. That alone tells you where the priorities are. The WCs are a stepping stone. The Olympics are the goal. The US doesn't play the Olympics in order to qualify for something else, they play because they're The Olympics.

BubbaTee wrote:You mean like how Spain lost by 30 the first time around?
Besides, I thought no-calls and physical play were supposed to be the norm in FIBA. The NBA is supposed to be the soft one, with all their rules against hand-checking and whatnot.

No, I mean like the finals - the one time they were challenged, i.e. the time you were speaking of.
Yes FIBA rules still allow you to play basketball not whatch referees and free-trows, but shoving your oppent out of bounds is still a violation even under fiba rules (so is traveling).

Well, how much shoving is too much shoving? I don't recall a ton of complaints about the refs swallowing their whistles when it was Greece's Sofo bulling his way through the paint against the US.

BubbaTee wrote: Dirk isn't playing this year. Clearly the WCs aren't as important to him as they were 4 years ago. Possibly because he got a taste of the big time, in 2008. At the Olympics. Once you have Matsuzaka beef, it's hard to go back to Big Macs. .

Awesome. I guess it proves that you are right because, the same logic (been there, done that) cannot and will not be applied in 2012 olympics, reason why 2000 and 2004 teams weren't that strong wasn't because players that already played in olympics didn't care to participate twice, there were no players who declined to participate in 2008 olympics (e.g. Songaila although he blamed it on injury). Moreover, if your logic that USA doesn't care about WC is correct, then I can claim that Dirk has assumed this logic as well since he has played most of his carrier in NBA and thus cannot be used by you as an example.

Rationalize it however you want. If an event is important enough to a person, and that person is physically capable of attending said event, then that person will be there. Dirk was in Beijing, he won't be in Istanbul.

3) Disregarding USA team rosters WC should be stronger tournament than Olympic games. In olympic games there are 12 teams, in WC 24. For example, Europe was represented in Olympics by 6 teams, 9 in WC, and we don't have clear order who are these 6 best teams - they change from time to time.

This is like saying "disregarding the absence of Usain Bolt, this track meet has a very tough 100m field," or "disregarding the absence of Michael Phelps, this swim meet is very tough." What you're disregarding is the #1 athlete/team in the sport.

A Team USA will show up in Istanbul, but it won't be The Team USA. It'd be more like playing the Lakers if Kobe and Pau sat out. Yeah, the jersey would still say Lakers and they would still be the 2x defending champs, but it wouldn't be nearly the same.

Also, if you don't mind, please use the dark green font because that light green is hard to read against a beige background.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#282 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 am

This is way too many pages on a player that has yet to play any important games aka NBA games.
Ball Does Lie
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#283 » by Ball Does Lie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:49 am

celticfan42487 wrote:This is way too many pages on a player that has yet to play any important games aka NBA games.

There are way too many threads dedicated to a PG who can't shoot, is ridiculously overrated on defense, and "dominates" games only because he's overlooked by teams due to his supporting cast. No one whines about that.

Don't like this thread? Leave and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

--

Anyways, I still hold out hope that when he does come over, he'll do so with a very nice jumpshot because I don't want him to be Rondo-esque as a shooter (he's already much improved from last season).
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#284 » by Kabookalu » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:59 am

His jumpshot is my absolutely biggest concern. I don't think he'll always be Rondo-esque forever though. In Rondo's case that's just how he is as a player; it's harder for players with huge hands to shoot (Shaq), and Rondo's hands are abnormally large. Even if he worked on his jumpshot as much as Ray Allen worked on his he would still have trouble with shooting. I'm hoping that Rubio decided to skip working on his jumper because he wanted to concentrate on other parts of his game, and sooner or later will realize how important it is to have a developed jumpshot.
Read on Twitter
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#285 » by Vindicater » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 am

GOOOOO RICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we start a new thread about the WC/Olympics debate please and stick to rubio
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Ball Does Lie
Banned User

Post#286 » by Ball Does Lie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:33 am

Choker wrote:His jumpshot is my absolutely biggest concern. I don't think he'll always be Rondo-esque forever though. In Rondo's case that's just how he is as a player; it's harder for players with huge hands to shoot (Shaq), and Rondo's hands are abnormally large. Even if he worked on his jumpshot as much as Ray Allen worked on his he would still have trouble with shooting. I'm hoping that Rubio decided to skip working on his jumper because he wanted to concentrate on other parts of his game, and sooner or later will realize how important it is to have a developed jumpshot.

Take a look at these mitts...

If he develops a shot, there is NO excuse for Rondo. Rubio has the hands of a 6'8" SF.
ItsMillerTime
Banned User

Post#287 » by ItsMillerTime » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:39 am

Wow, its pretty sad that a guy can barely average 4 points a game playing against unwanted Division III college dropouts and get a 20 page thread of nutriders proclaiming him to be a future All NBA point guard
Ball Does Lie
Banned User

Post#288 » by Ball Does Lie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:40 am

ItsMillerTime wrote:Wow, its pretty sad that a guy can barely average 4 points a game playing against unwanted Division III college dropouts and get a 20 page thread of nutriders proclaiming him to be a future All NBA point guard

Didn't seem to have much of a problem playing against a half-dozen future hall of famers from the NBA in the Olympics, either. But yeah, let's keep being "ignant".
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
And1: 183

Post#289 » by bigballa3jj » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:43 am

ItsMillerTime wrote:Wow, its pretty sad that a guy can barely average 4 points a game playing against unwanted Division III college dropouts and get a 20 page thread of nutriders proclaiming him to be a future All NBA point guard

i know right? that dude jennings sucks too cuz he only averaged 5 ppg against some DIII college dropouts as well.... :roll:
Franstyle
Freshman

Post#290 » by Franstyle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:32 am

I though all the americans would be more humble after some the last humillations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvnDFCdTaEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qifB_EU9Ymw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6SN7JyDDyw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APPllziU ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdeuZPE3uCA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3VNH2kHUTk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBIJjIE1W9w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D1WjZV50Lo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EL5-Kt_QKs

The people who understand basket know that he could be a best Rondo, or not, but the comparation is correct, the time will tell us...
Sorry for my English ;)
HB2
Pro Prospect
And1: 93

Post#291 » by HB2 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:19 pm

BubbaTee wrote:If the FIBA WCs were as important as you claim, then they should be the last thing Pau is willing to skip in order to rest. Instead Pau should have skipped the Olympics if they are, as you claim, less important.

You must have lost me at some point - I never claimed that Olympics are less important than WC.
I said that:
1) There is some validity to the argument that FIBA WC is stronger competition than Olympic basketball tournament (not that it is more important);
2) Disagreed that nobody cares about WC, and moreover even USA cares about it.

Why would he skip Olympics when he had already skipped a year in 2005, and he didn't have an Olympic medal? There is a difference between having no rest for 2 years or 4 years you know, and he has WC gold already. Besides, will you argue that WC is less important than EC, because he participated in that in 2009?

BubbaTee wrote:And yet there was no strong reaction by USA Basketball following the 2002 WCs. Team USA continued to be assembled as it had been since 1994, thrown together haphazardly with little regard to team chemistry or player roles or suitability for FIBA play. The complacency came from a belief that America's natural basketball superiority would still manage to compensate when the bright lights came on, regardless of whatever hiccups they'd had leading up to the Olympics.

No there was a strong reaction, hence the very strong 2003 team. Moreover, the change in selection process although happened after Olympics happened before WC, with WC in mind (which I understand from you doesn't matter and should have been "skipped") and not after them for the Olympics only.

BubbaTee wrote:Maybe one of their strongest FIBA Americas teams, but not up to the standard of Olympic teams outside of 2004. The 2003 team had Nick Collison. Nothing against Collison, but he's not even Christian Laettner. Tim Duncan hates FIBA play. Allen Iverson and Larry Brown would have been the NBA's top-rated soap opera at the time if not for Shaq-Kobe.

2002-03 was a precursor to the 2004 debacle. Again there was a lack of continuity and chemistry in favor of just slapping a bunch of big names together like it was a McDonald's All-American game. George Karl, the 2002 coach, and Paul Pierce, the 2002 leading USA scorer, were both missing in 2003.

Fail:
1) You would think that after complete failure in 2002 it would be expected that George Karl wouldn't come back; moreover I thought you said WC didn't matter (especially 2002 about which Carlos Arroyo mom only cared) - why would you expect Paul Pearce even to make the 2003 team? :)
2) You are wrong - 2003 team was much much stronger than 2000 Olympic team (did not check 1996 team), and by default stronger than 2004 Olympic team (9 players that were on 2003 declined to play for 2004, i.e. would have been on that team if they didn't decline).

BubbaTee wrote:Heck, the reason the US even plays the WCs is to qualify for the Olympics. That alone tells you where the priorities are. The WCs are a stepping stone. The Olympics are the goal. The US doesn't play the Olympics in order to qualify for something else, they play because they're The Olympics.

FAIL, FAIL and FAIL again :)
1) Was it you or someone else who said that USA isn't afraid about not qualifying to olympics and don't care about WC, and they can qualify via FIBA Americas?
2) In soccer also "You don't play in Olympics to qualify for something else".... so is World Cup less important than olympics in football??
3) Fail again: Only World Champions "qualify" for the Olympics and Olympic Champions DO "qualify" for the World Championships, by your logic you play in Olympics only to qualify for WC.
In fact for both tournaments the actual qualification happens in European and American (regional) Championships - no "qualification" happens in WC or the Olympics, simply one slot is reserved in each tournament for the champion of the other.

However, had you been at least partially right, it would only be against you. If, for example, 3-4 teams would "qualify" for the olympics from WC, it would mean that WC is such a strong tournament that the Olympic tournament wouldn't be serious without presence of these teams, so a spot must be "reserved" for best WC teams. And had you been right about Olympics and no "qualification" we could conclude that Olympic tournament is perceived as such a joke that WC doesn't consider even the winner of the OG tournament to be good enough to automatically qualify for such tournament as WC :lol:
4) btw, USA.Basketball.com states that WC is as important as Olympics -so much for not caring...

BubbaTee wrote: Rationalize it however you want. If an event is important enough to a person, and that person is physically capable of attending said event, then that person will be there. Dirk was in Beijing, he won't be in Istanbul.

This reminds me of "rationalize however you want but Barca is not the best team in Europe, because they lost to Caja Laboral argument". If you don't accept rational and logic and just rely on one exception (which is not fully accurate anyway - Dirk played in Japan, and we will know only in London whether your one argument/exception even when manipulated is valid), there is nothing I can help you with....
BubbaTee wrote:This is like saying "disregarding the absence of Usain Bolt, this track meet has a very tough 100m field," or "disregarding the absence of Michael Phelps, this swim meet is very tough." What you're disregarding is the #1 athlete/team in the sport.

A Team USA will show up in Istanbul, but it won't be The Team USA. It'd be more like playing the Lakers if Kobe and Pau sat out. Yeah, the jersey would still say Lakers and they would still be the 2x defending champs, but it wouldn't be nearly the same.

No, this is like saying "run between Gay and Powell" is stronger competition than "Usain Bolt running 100 m with 7 kindergartners" (and this is true, or do you disagree?), and you forget that 2006WC team was basically the same as 2008 Olympic team, and if Collengelo keeps his word 2012 team will be the same 2010 team - Bolt is still running, sometimes against Gay OR Powell (Olympics) sometimes against Powell and Gay (WC).... btw, Bolt wanted to tell you he feels insulted with your comparisons - he doesn't lose as often as USA:)
koko wrote:
YFZblu wrote:
koko wrote:I want to F Navarro. Do him some nasty things.

:o

Watchin him play makes me horny. Deal with it, i did.
AkeemTheDream
Banned User

Post#292 » by AkeemTheDream » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Just to clarify here, since some people seem to be confused about these awards Rubio has won. Every award he has won are either junior level awards, awards based solely on being young, awards that are just for play in Spain only, and nowhere else in Europe, or awards that are at second tier European competition and not the highest level of play.

He has not won a single significant individual award at the top pro club level at the European level, as in Europe, not just Spain only.

These are the important and significant individual awards at the top European club level.

All-Euroleague First Team

All-Euroleague Second Team

Euroleague MVP

Euroleague Final Four MVP (in Europe this is the most important one of all)

Euroleague Best Defender

Every other award is either based on age and is just for young players, or is for domestic level, meaning just for an individual country and not for European basketball. Or the award is in a second tier European league like the Eurocup and is not in any way significant either.

Those awards I listed are the ONLY individual awards in pro club basketball that are serious and significant awards. They are the ONLY ones that have meaning as to what an NBA fan thinks of in terms of awards in the NBA.

Rubio has never won any of those awards and he has never made an All-Euroleague First or Second Team. If people are going to cite awards he has won, then they need to understand he has never won a single award that actually has any real meaning.

If you are going to claim that he is "in the upper echelon of European players" and cite awards he has won then you need to understand that he never once won an actual meaningful award. If you want to know the actual real upper echelon European players then look at the awards I listed. There you will actually find the real ones. Rubio has never been among those players in that level. So no, he has not been in the upper echelon of European players as of yet.
AkeemTheDream
Banned User

Post#293 » by AkeemTheDream » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:55 pm

Human Being wrote:
BubbaTee wrote:If the FIBA WCs were as important as you claim, then they should be the last thing Pau is willing to skip in order to rest. Instead Pau should have skipped the Olympics if they are, as you claim, less important.

You must have lost me at some point - I never claimed that Olympics are less important than WC.
I said that:
1) There is some validity to the argument that FIBA WC is stronger competition than Olympic basketball tournament (not that it is more important);
2) Disagreed that nobody cares about WC, and moreover even USA cares about it.

Why would he skip Olympics when he had already skipped a year in 2005, and he didn't have an Olympic medal? There is a difference between having no rest for 2 years or 4 years you know, and he has WC gold already. Besides, will you argue that WC is less important than EC, because he participated in that in 2009?

BubbaTee wrote:And yet there was no strong reaction by USA Basketball following the 2002 WCs. Team USA continued to be assembled as it had been since 1994, thrown together haphazardly with little regard to team chemistry or player roles or suitability for FIBA play. The complacency came from a belief that America's natural basketball superiority would still manage to compensate when the bright lights came on, regardless of whatever hiccups they'd had leading up to the Olympics.

No there was a strong reaction, hence the very strong 2003 team. Moreover, the change in selection process although happened after Olympics happened before WC, with WC in mind (which I understand from you doesn't matter and should have been "skipped") and not after them for the Olympics only.

BubbaTee wrote:Maybe one of their strongest FIBA Americas teams, but not up to the standard of Olympic teams outside of 2004. The 2003 team had Nick Collison. Nothing against Collison, but he's not even Christian Laettner. Tim Duncan hates FIBA play. Allen Iverson and Larry Brown would have been the NBA's top-rated soap opera at the time if not for Shaq-Kobe.

Fail:
1) You would think that after complete failure in 2002 it would be expected that George Karl wouldn't come back; moreover I thought you said WC didn't matter (especially 2002 about which Carlos Arroyo mom only cared) - why would you expect Paul Pearce even to make the 2003 team? :)
2) You are wrong - 2003 team was much much stronger than 2000 Olympic team (did not check 1996 team), and by default stronger than 2004 Olympic team (9 players that were on 2003 declined to play for 2004, i.e. would have been on that team if they didn't decline).

BubbaTee wrote:Heck, the reason the US even plays the WCs is to qualify for the Olympics. That alone tells you where the priorities are. The WCs are a stepping stone. The Olympics are the goal. The US doesn't play the Olympics in order to qualify for something else, they play because they're The Olympics.

FAIL, FAIL and FAIL again :)
1) Was it you or someone else who said that USA isn't afraid about not qualifying to olympics and don't care about WC, and they can qualify via FIBA Americas?
2) In soccer also "You don't play in Olympics to qualify for something else".... so is World Cup less important than olympics in football??
3) Fail again: Only World Champions "qualify" for the Olympics and Olympic Champions DO "qualify" for the World Championships, by your logic you play in Olympics only to qualify for WC.
In fact for both tournaments the actual qualification happens in European and American (regional) Championships - no "qualification" happens in WC or the Olympics, simply one slot is reserved in each tournament for the champion of the other.

However, had you been at least partially right, it would only be against you. If, for example, 3-4 teams would "qualify" for the olympics from WC, it would mean that WC is such a strong tournament that the Olympic tournament wouldn't be serious without presence of these teams, so a spot must be "reserved" for best WC teams. And had you been right about Olympics and no "qualification" we could conclude that Olympic tournament is perceived as such a joke that WC doesn't consider even the winner of the OG tournament to be good enough to automatically qualify for such tournament as WC :lol:
4) btw, USA.Basketball.com states that WC is as important as Olympics -so much for not caring...

BubbaTee wrote: Rationalize it however you want. If an event is important enough to a person, and that person is physically capable of attending said event, then that person will be there. Dirk was in Beijing, he won't be in Istanbul.

This reminds me of "rationalize however you want but Barca is not the best team in Europe, because they lost to Caja Laboral argument". If you don't accept rational and logic and just rely on one exception (which is not fully accurate anyway - Dirk played in Japan, and we will know only in London whether your one argument/exception even when manipulated is valid), there is nothing I can help you with....
BubbaTee wrote:This is like saying "disregarding the absence of Usain Bolt, this track meet has a very tough 100m field," or "disregarding the absence of Michael Phelps, this swim meet is very tough." What you're disregarding is the #1 athlete/team in the sport.

No, this is like saying "run between Gay and Powell" is stronger competition than "Usain Bolt running 100 m with 7 kindergartners" (and this is true, or do you disagree?), and you forget that 2006WC team was basically the same as 2008 Olympic team, and if Collengelo keeps his word 2012 team will be the same 2010 team - Bolt is still running, sometimes against Gay OR Powell (Olympics) sometimes against Powell and Gay (WC).... btw, Bolt wanted to tell you he feels insulted with your comparisons - he doesn't lose as often as USA:)

Stop arguing with that guy. He clearly has no knowledge about international basketball.
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#294 » by jinxed » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:16 am

AkeemTheDream,

You spend a vast majority of your day on various basketball boards under different names, making sure to BASH ricky rubio as much as possible. Why? Is that the best thing you have going in your life? Do you have friends? Do you know any girls? It is sad and pathetic man. Is this how you want to remember how you spent your day, consumed with the goal of changing internet strangers (and failing at it) perceptions on a how well a 19 year old kid is at throwing a rubber ball through an elevated orange rim?
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
Vin20
Senior

Post#295 » by Vin20 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:16 pm

AkeemTheDream wrote:Just to clarify here, since some people seem to be confused about these awards Rubio has won. Every award he has won are either junior level awards, awards based solely on being young, awards that are just for play in Spain only, and nowhere else in Europe, or awards that are at second tier European competition and not the highest level of play.

He has not won a single significant individual award at the top pro club level at the European level, as in Europe, not just Spain only.

These are the important and significant individual awards at the top European club level.

Euroleague MVP

Euroleague Best Defender

Every other award is either based on age and is just for young players, or is for domestic level, meaning just for an individual country and not for European basketball. Or the award is in a second tier European league like the Eurocup and is not in any way significant either.

Those awards I listed are the ONLY individual awards in pro club basketball that are serious and significant awards. They are the ONLY ones that have meaning as to what an NBA fan thinks of in terms of awards in the NBA.

Rubio has never won any of those awards and he has never made an All-Euroleague First or Second Team. If people are going to cite awards he has won, then they need to understand he has never won a single award that actually has any real meaning.

If you are going to claim that he is "in the upper echelon of European players" and cite awards he has won then you need to understand that he never once won an actual meaningful award. If you want to know the actual real upper echelon European players then look at the awards I listed. There you will actually find the real ones. Rubio has never been among those players in that level. So no, he has not been in the upper echelon of European players as of yet.

FAIL :D

*Led the Spanish ACB and the Euroleague in steals: (2007)
*Led the Spanish ACB in Steals: (2009)
*2× All-Spanish ACB League Team as the Best Poing Guard: (2008, 2010)
*Mr. Europa European Player of the Year: (2008)
*Spanish ACB League Defensive Player of the Year: (2009)
*Catalan Tournament MVP: (2009)
*Won the Spanish ACB League Top 5 Trophy: Most Spectacular Player of the Year (2010)

Who is the best PG of Europe?

Well, you've got Rubio, Teodosic, Papaloukas, T-Mac, Prigioni, Holden...
Now let's see.

Rubio vs. T-Mac (Montepashi Siena)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0Q98mI6Xc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh6jgHlsumU

Rubio vs. Prigioni (Real Madrid)

They played against each other 8 times this season so I'll just put some of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjwqqRo7DE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNrFty85Cc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qmXbpov4M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3H7DvrkZvE

Rubio vs. Holden (CSKA Moscow)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVsLLIgSgZM

Against Teodosic and Papaloukas (Olympiakos):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zq7JEw3Br4

Well, here we have the Euroleague Final. Juan Carlos Navarro was the MVP of the Final Four, it wasn't Rubio's game. He said he was nervous (don't know why, he played an Olympic Final at 17). But Barcelona was always winning by 10 in this match. The most difficult match was the semifinal against CSKA, where Rubio and Mickeal were the ones who saved Barça. Rubio was the MVP and did what he wanted to in the semifinal of his first Final Four, AT 19. He's the best PG in Europe... at 19. He's the starting PG and one of the best players of the best team in Europe at 19. Isn't that enought for you?

I hope you don't answer with a simple "bah, he's overrated" cause I've "worked" really hard on this.
When I finish a game, they ask me "how did it go? how many points did you score?", when the real question should be "what have you done today to help your team win?". - Ricky Rubio.
AkeemTheDream
Banned User

Post#296 » by AkeemTheDream » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Vin20 wrote:
AkeemTheDream wrote:Just to clarify here, since some people seem to be confused about these awards Rubio has won. Every award he has won are either junior level awards, awards based solely on being young, awards that are just for play in Spain only, and nowhere else in Europe, or awards that are at second tier European competition and not the highest level of play.

Euroleague MVP

Euroleague Best Defender

FAIL :D

*Led the Spanish ACB and the Euroleague in steals: (2007)
*Led the Spanish ACB in Steals: (2009)
*2× All-Spanish ACB League Team as the Best Poing Guard: (2008, 2010)
*Mr. Europa European Player of the Year: (2008)
*Spanish ACB League Defensive Player of the Year: (2009)
*Catalan Tournament MVP: (2009)
*Won the Spanish ACB League Top 5 Trophy: Most Spectacular Player of the Year (2010)

Who is the best PG of Europe?

Well, you've got Rubio, Teodosic, Papaloukas, T-Mac, Prigioni, Holden...
Now let's see.

Rubio vs. T-Mac (Montepashi Siena)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0Q98mI6Xc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh6jgHlsumU

Rubio vs. Prigioni (Real Madrid)

They played against each other 8 times this season so I'll just put some of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjwqqRo7DE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNrFty85Cc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qmXbpov4M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3H7DvrkZvE

Rubio vs. Holden (CSKA Moscow)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVsLLIgSgZM

Against Teodosic and Papaloukas (Olympiakos):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zq7JEw3Br4

Well, here we have the Euroleague Final. Juan Carlos Navarro was the MVP of the Final Four, it wasn't Rubio's game. He said he was nervous (don't know why, he played an Olympic Final at 17). But Barcelona was always winning by 10 in this match. The most difficult match was the semifinal against CSKA, where Rubio and Mickeal were the ones who saved Barça. Rubio was the MVP and did what he wanted to in the semifinal of his first Final Four, AT 19. He's the best PG in Europe... at 19. He's the starting PG and one of the best players of the best team in Europe at 19. Isn't that enought for you?

I hope you don't answer with a simple "bah, he's overrated" cause I've "worked" really hard on this.

You have not listed a single award that has any real meaning or significance in European club basketball. Not one of those awards means anything. It would be like listing D-League and NCAA awards to prove someone was an elite NBA player. Also, Rubio never led the Euroleague in steals. That is a myth. Got to the official Euroleague site and it clearly states Pablo Prigioni as the league leader.

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... &pcode=CBX

PRIGIONI, PABLO

led the 2006-07 Euroleague in steals (2.5 spg.)

http://www.euroleague.net/main/statisti ... =6&topic=4

Euroleague 2006-07

Leaders, Full Season Rank Player Games Total Average
1 PRIGIONI, PABLO 23 57 2.48

Someone started a myth on forums around the internet that he led the Euroleague in steals and it still persists to this day. But it's not true and never has been.

Also, Rubio has never won an individual award that has any meaning or importance. And calling him the best point guard in Europe when he has never even made a first or second team all Euroleague is ridiculous. He's never been named one of the 2 best point guards in Europe. So how can he be the best? The last season he was voted as the 4th best point guard in the Euroleague. Strange then that he would be considered the best point guard in Europe and that is "dominant" as some are claiming.

1. Milos Teodosic
2. Bo McCallebb
3. Theo Papaloukas
4. Ricky Rubio

That was how the voting for best point guard in the Euroleague went last season. It was also the first time in Rubio's career that he even qualified to even be eligible for the voting. In prior years he was not even selected as a nominee by the league.
Mumbles
Bench Warmer
And1: 223

Post#297 » by Mumbles » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm

I'd take Milos Teodosic over Rubio.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#298 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 pm

I wouldn't, and I like Teodosic more. Rubio can play PG in the NBA, Milos can't.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#299 » by Basti » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:59 pm

AkeemTheDream wrote:Also, Rubio never led the Euroleague in steals. That is a myth. Got to the official Euroleague site and it clearly states Pablo Prigioni as the league leader.

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... &pcode=CBX

PRIGIONI, PABLO

led the 2006-07 Euroleague in steals (2.5 spg.)

http://www.euroleague.net/main/statisti ... =6&topic=4

Euroleague 2006-07

Leaders, Full Season Rank Player Games Total Average
1 PRIGIONI, PABLO 23 57 2.48

Someone started a myth on forums around the internet that he led the Euroleague in steals and it still persists to this day. But it's not true and never has been.

Also, Rubio has never won an individual award that has any meaning or importance. And calling him the best point guard in Europe when he has never even made a first or second team all Euroleague is ridiculous. He's never been named one of the 2 best point guards in Europe. So how can he be the best? The last season he was voted as the 4th best point guard in the Euroleague. Strange then that he would be considered the best point guard in Europe and that is "dominant" as some are claiming.

1. Milos Teodosic
2. Bo McCallebb
3. Theo Papaloukas
4. Ricky Rubio

That was how the voting for best point guard in the Euroleague went last season. It was also the first time in Rubio's career that he even qualified to even be eligible for the voting. In Prior years he was not even selected as a nominee by the league.

hmm I wonder where I read this before...

oh wait, here it is.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=932182
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#300 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:11 pm

Lawl.

Return to The General Board