Can New York assemble a Big 3?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Re: Can New York assemble a Big 3? 

Post#81 » by Pharmcat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Flash3 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:LOL i dont even know why nyk fans bother here

its obvious this is another daily nyk bashing thread for others to get their kicks in

first it was the unsubstantiated rumor nyk tried to get Jeffries, people bashed, didnt happen

then it was nyk overpaying for shannon brown, people bashed, didnt happen

then it was IT coming back, people bashed (perhaps rightfully so, but it would depend on his role), didnt happen....notice how IT not coming back is only a 2 page thread whereas the original one almost reached 10 pages

people just need a small reason to get their kicks in, nyk fans, its not worth debating at all

Actually no. -- just the thought and the legitimacy around him even remotely being added back is even beyond laughable.

The man destroyed the franchise and was let go because of that and his other off court issues that gave the Knicks a bad name. And, now that they are on their way up and things are progressing, they want to add him back even if it's a limited role?

He didn't take a role with the team because the NBA didn't allow it, but the thought and the reasoning of adding him was valid, as reported.

That's incompetent if you ask me. And, based on what I've read, it's the owner who seems that. But, still it's worth talking/debating about.

see you are focusing on one point, whereas I was making a general point (which i supported with 3 different instances) about how people react to any nyk news, you missed my point, nice job

the IT case can go both ways, which I conceded in my original post, but then there is the case of the brown and JJ "rumors" too that led to bashing....again, i was making a general point and you chose not to focus on that
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#82 » by Flash3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Can they sure. but they dont have to. I would take NY's supporting cast over miami's in a heartbeat. they add another max player while keeping most of the supporting cast and they're just as good as any team. IMO their biggest improvment would have to be on the defensive end. AND in no way shape or form did NY come up empty or have a bad off season. I think heat fans are a little insecure if they think NY, a team with a ton of cap space can't or wont improve. That's the only thing I can think of, b/c it's clear that they upgraded and that they have the cap and the assets to improve.

OT: It's funny to hear people, particularly heat fans, dogging Amare's defense while Bosh patrols the paint :roll: If you're talking about Miami and the Knicks, both teams need to prove they can commit to playing defense if they want to improve imo.

In the end, it's the star players in the league that decide who wins and who loses games. Supporting casts are made because of the star players they are playing with.

There's no way a James Posey, Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, Antoine Walker, Udonis Haslem, Toni Kukoc, John Paxson and others players alike would be what they were on their respective teams and the contributions they made w/o playing alongside some of the best in the game at that time; MJ, Pippen, Shaq, Wade, Kobe etc.

LA used Vujajic, Brown, Fisher, Walton, Ariza as part of their supporting cast to supplement Odom/Gasol/Kobe. -- That cast above is nothing to write home about.

Miami has competent role players to support The big 3. And, it's going to be a 7-8 man rotation once the Post-Season starts. You don't play all 12 players anyway.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by Flash3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
Flash3 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:LOL i dont even know why nyk fans bother here

its obvious this is another daily nyk bashing thread for others to get their kicks in

first it was the unsubstantiated rumor nyk tried to get Jeffries, people bashed, didnt happen

then it was nyk overpaying for shannon brown, people bashed, didnt happen

then it was IT coming back, people bashed (perhaps rightfully so, but it would depend on his role), didnt happen....notice how IT not coming back is only a 2 page thread whereas the original one almost reached 10 pages

people just need a small reason to get their kicks in, nyk fans, its not worth debating at all

Actually no. -- just the thought and the legitimacy around him even remotely being added back is even beyond laughable.

The man destroyed the franchise and was let go because of that and his other off court issues that gave the Knicks a bad name. And, now that they are on their way up and things are progressing, they want to add him back even if it's a limited role?

He didn't take a role with the team because the NBA didn't allow it, but the thought and the reasoning of adding him was valid, as reported.

That's incompetent if you ask me. And, based on what I've read, it's the owner who seems that. But, still it's worth talking/debating about.

see you are focusing on one point, whereas I was making a general point (which i supported with 3 different instances) about how people react to any nyk news, you missed my point, nice job

the IT case can go both ways, which I conceded in my original post, but then there is the case of the brown and JJ "rumors" too that led to bashing....again, i was making a general point and you chose not to focus on that

I was referring to your IT point. The thought of him being added is what I find hard to even being to understand and comprehend, but then after reading around it seems that the admiration (if you can call it that) the owner has for IT is on another level, hence him trying to add IT back as a consultant, it makes sense.

But, that still doesn't leave others (myself included) to question the Knicks and what they are doing by adding someone who wrecked that team to the brink of it becoming the butt of every joke.

It's as if you divorce your abusive husband and finally are recovering to the point you can live your life w/o having to hear/see him...and then a few years later you ask him to appear in your life again. It makes no sense both ways, to the example above and the Knicks and IT.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#84 » by Pharmcat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Flash3 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
Flash3 wrote:Actually no. -- just the thought and the legitimacy around him even remotely being added back is even beyond laughable.

I was referring to your IT point. The thought of him being added is what I find hard to even being to understand and comprehend, but then after reading around it seems that the admiration (if you can call it that) the owner has for IT is on another level, hence him trying to add IT back as a consultant, it makes sense.

But, that still doesn't leave others (myself included) to question the Knicks and what they are doing by adding someone who wrecked that team to the brink of it becoming the butt of every joke.

It's as if you divorce your abusive husband and finally are recovering to the point you can live your life w/o having to hear/see him...and then a few years later you ask him to appear in your life again. It makes no sense both ways, to the example above and the Knicks and IT.

LOL you continue to focus on the one issue and not the others, come on, you are smarter than this....how bout addressing the general point i was making?
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#85 » by omerome » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:54 pm

Flash3 wrote:In the end, it's the star players in the league that decide who wins and who loses games. Supporting casts are made because of the star players they are playing with.

There's no way a James Posey, Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, Antoine Walker, Udonis Haslem, Toni Kukoc, John Paxson and others players alike would be what they were on their respective teams and the contributions they made w/o playing alongside some of the best in the game at that time; MJ, Pippen, Shaq, Wade, Kobe etc.

No. At the end, championships are won with star players AND a good supporting cast. You don't think the Celtics would of loved to have James Posey last year? Or how much of an impact that Toni Kukoc had with Chicago? Even John Paxson played his part to help the Bulls.

As good as Kobe is, he needed guys like Artest, Gasol, and Odom to win the championship. I am amazed to see you don't understand that. A superstar can only do so much by himself.
BiggieSmalls
Senior
And1: 0

Post#86 » by BiggieSmalls » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:55 pm

melo wont go to NY because he wont be willing to take a paycut, the "big 3" in miami will fall apart and be an epic failure before melo is to make up his mind and he wont want to be the next to fail so he will stay in denver.

The knicks are a pathetic franchise and as long as i keep hearing the name isiah thomas associated with them than i will never take them seriously.
DreMiller/Faried>>>>>>>Felton/Smith

Nicolas Batuuuuuuuuuuum!

R.I.P Sean Chancellor
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#87 » by omerome » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:57 pm

BiggieSmalls wrote:melo wont go to NY because he wont be willing to take a paycut, the "big 3" in miami will fall apart and be an epic failure before melo is to make up his mind and he wont want to be the next to fail so he will stay in denver.

The knicks are a pathetic franchise and as long as i keep hearing the name isiah thomas associated with them than i will never take them seriously.

Your post just gave me a headache, someone please make it stop.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Flash3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:05 pm

omerome wrote:
Flash3 wrote:In the end, it's the star players in the league that decide who wins and who loses games. Supporting casts are made because of the star players they are playing with.

No. At the end, championships are won with star players AND a good supporting cast. You don't think the Celtics would of loved to have James Posey last year? Or how much of an impact that Toni Kukoc had with Chicago? Even John Paxson played his part to help the Bulls.

As good as Kobe is, he needed guys like Artest, Gasol, and Odom to win the championship. I am amazed to see you don't understand that. A superstar can only do so much by himself.

I never stated supporting casts are not vital, that would be asinine. -- They are beyond vital, but they are just that, to provide support to the main pieces. Miami has some of the best pieces in the league in Wade, LeBron and Bosh plus some very competent support players being led by Haslem and Miller and then other role players to fit certain roles. These players are going to be made to look better than they are because of the super talent around them.

In the same manner that Posey helped Miami in 2006, he did the same with Boston in 2007 and you saw it lacking last year with Boston having issues of a consistent perimeter defender. But, Posey was made to look better than he really is because of the talent he played with, not the other way around.

That was my point to the poster I replied to taking one's talent over the other. When you break both teams down in terms of supporting talent after the big pieces are separated, it's not that much of a big deal.

Chalmers/Felton
Wade/Chandler
LeBron/Randolph
Bosh/Amare
Anthony/Mozgov

Miami: Haslem, M. Miller, E. House, J. Howard, J. Jones
NY: Turiaf, Azibuke, Douglas, Fields, Mason

Not really sure how either of those supporting casts are anything to write home about, but WHEN Miami's is paired the big 3, they become that much better because they are filling the roles we need them to.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by Flash3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
LOL you continue to focus on the one issue and not the others, come on, you are smarter than this....how bout addressing the general point i was making?

I was referring to the one point and view as part of your post. I was and have been discussing the IT incident. The other issues are non-issues, are they not? -- There was no validity to them in the end. They were people who were reaching to take an ill-advised shot at the franchise. I don't get what you're reaching for. :dontknow:
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#90 » by eatyourchildren » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:10 pm

The Heat will be dangerous. They have good roleplayers in Miller and Haslem, both of whom I would love to have on the Lakers bench.
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#91 » by Pharmcat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Flash3 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:

I was referring to the one point and view as part of your post. I was and have been discussing the IT incident. The other issues are non-issues, are they not? -- There was no validity to them in the end. They were people who were reaching to take an ill-advised shot at the franchise. I don't get what you're reaching for. :dontknow:

lol re-read my original post...you just chose to focus on the IT part, and that got you going with the IT script you typed out, but in essence, it wasnt just about it him...just re-read it, but ignore anything that says IT in it, and perhaps you will understand what I was trying to say
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Flash3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:14 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
lol re-read my original post...you just chose to focus on the IT part, and that got you going with the IT script you typed out, but in essence, it wasnt just about it him...just re-read it, but ignore anything that says IT in it, and perhaps you will understand what I was trying to say

You do the same:

Flash3 wrote:The other issues are non-issues, are they not? -- There was no validity to them in the end. They were people who were reaching to take an ill-advised shot at the franchise. I don't get what you're reaching for. :dontknow:

Not sure how to address an issue that isn't even remotely a story to begin with. Unless you know better....
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#93 » by Dantares » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Big 3? I think New York can assemble a big 4. Gallinari is going to be that good of a player on both ends. I remember last game of the year against the heat he started the game guarding Wade, he did a good job of contesting shots and actually drew two charges against d-wade. The Heat announcer said he was absolutely shocked at how well Gallinari is able to move his feet. ofcourse D-wade eventually got Gallo in foul trouble and went off. but with Gallo getting leaner, working on explosiveness and doing yoga this summer he will be better defensively this year. offensively you know he doesn't back down when he is challenged just ask Paul Pierce and Carmelo.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#94 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Flash3 wrote:Miami has competent role players to support The big 3. And, it's going to be a 7-8 man rotation once the Post-Season starts. You don't play all 12 players anyway.

Horsesh*t. I would rather have a good players off the bench than competent players off the bench. You're not going to sell Miami's lack of role players. Hope there arent any injuries.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
chadrucf
RealGM
And1: 5,015

Post#95 » by chadrucf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Dantares wrote:Big 3? I think New York can assemble a big 4. Gallinari is going to be that good of a player on both ends.

Top 15 player?

What is the plan to even get 3 max players on the Knicks?
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by Flash3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Flash3 wrote:Miami has competent role players to support The big 3. And, it's going to be a 7-8 man rotation once the Post-Season starts. You don't play all 12 players anyway.

Horsesh*t. I would rather have a good players off the bench than competent players off the bench. You're not going to sell Miami's lack of role players. Hope there arent any injuries.
Good/Competent...I meant the same thing.

Stop nitpicking. :lol:
bert stein
Junior

Post#97 » by bert stein » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:57 pm

Flash3 wrote:Good/Competent...I meant the same thing.

91/95...I meant the same thing.

bert stein
Junior

Post#98 » by bert stein » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 am

Flash3 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:

You do the same:

Flash3 wrote:The other issues are non-issues, are they not? -- There was no validity to them in the end. They were people who were reaching to take an ill-advised shot at the franchise. I don't get what you're reaching for. :dontknow:

Not sure how to address an issue that isn't even remotely a story to begin with. Unless you know better....

um - you responded to his initial post by starting with
Actually no

which is to say, you disagreed with the thesis of his post, so Pharmcat's critique is entirely legit. The fact that you then dived right into your IT script is a bug, not a feature.
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#99 » by Darko Miliminutes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:16 am

Dantares wrote:Big 3? I think New York can assemble a big 4. Gallinari is going to be that good of a player on both ends. I remember last game of the year against the heat he started the game guarding Wade, he did a good job of contesting shots and actually drew two charges against d-wade. The Heat announcer said he was absolutely shocked at how well Gallinari is able to move his feet. ofcourse D-wade eventually got Gallo in foul trouble and went off. but with Gallo getting leaner, working on explosiveness and doing yoga this summer he will be better defensively this year. offensively you know he doesn't back down when he is challenged just ask Paul Pierce and Carmelo.

I'm in agreement with you. As much as alot of the people here think that Gallo is overrated, i think he is greatly underrated. That kid will be a member of a big 3 himself someday...melo amare and gallo.
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Flash3 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 am

bert stein wrote:
um - you responded to his initial post by starting with
Actually no

which is to say, you disagreed with the thesis of his post, so Pharmcat's critique is entirely legit. The fact that you then dived right into your IT script is a bug, not a feature.

Uhhh, no. I was responding to his original opening line of:

It doesn't take a genius to see the thread title and the thread topic to see that the OP is wanting to discuss the legitimacy of NY possibly producing their own version of a big 3 and not just "another daily nyk bashing thread" as Pharmcat mentioned to which I disagreed to.

But, read what you will because it seems that's exactly what you're doing..... :roll:

Return to The General Board