Doc Rivers: Lakers still have not beaten our starting five

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Re: Doc Rivers: Lakers still have not beaten our starting five 

Post#61 » by Edrees » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Doc just wishes Perkins was man enough to play through his injury like Bynum. Maybe Boston needs to sign tougher players like Bynum? :P
Das
Senior
And1: 53

Post#62 » by Das » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Vincent 666 wrote:No team has had as much bad luck with having players injured in the finals than the Lakers.

Just off the top of my head............89,91,08

To be fair.... Detroit, Chicago and Boston were all better than those year Lakers team. So the Better Team won.

Lakers were just the better team last year.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#63 » by Malinhion » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:03 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
Malinhion wrote:Stupid comment. But, hey, this is the Internet, so let's defend it!

No way Kobe grabs 15 boards in game 7 with Perkins in there. 6-24 would have been a much more prominent statistic in retrospect.

Kobe's boards prior to game 7 are 7-5-7-6-5-11
Perkin's boards prior to game 7 are 3-6-11-7-7-1
I don't think Perkin's would have stopped Kobe from grabbing 15 boards.

Yes, let's compare the rebounds of a shooting guard and a center, ignoring the fact that there are eight other bodies on the floor.

It's not like one guy played 41mpg and the other played 23mpg.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#64 » by picc » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:04 pm

ball_dont_lie wrote:
Wow, thank god Phil, Kobe and co aren't this sensitive.

They are. If you think either of them wouldn't be ticked hearing that comment, then you're as deluded as Doc is.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,699

Post#65 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:06 pm

Malinhion wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Kobe's boards prior to game 7 are 7-5-7-6-5-11

Yes, let's compare the rebounds of a shooting guard and a center, ignoring the fact that there are eight other bodies on the floor.

You made the statement that Kobe would not grab 15 rebounds with Perkin's in the game, so I posted the actual rebounds of both men while both of them were in the games.

Those other 4 bodies on the Celtics team didn't stop Kobe from grabbing 15 rebounds and Perkin's didn't stop Kobe from grabbing 11 boards in game 6.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
Jeff23
Lead Assistant
And1: 245

Post#66 » by Jeff23 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:06 pm

Perkins would have provided a needed strong presence for the celtics. Sheed and KG arent the best rebounders.
RipCityLives
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#67 » by RipCityLives » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:08 pm

JordansBulls wrote:
Asianiac_24 wrote:We not just missed Bynum in 08, we also missed our starting SF Ariza. We also didn't have our full starting five healthy this year, too. Bynum wasn't 100%, Doc needs to STFU.

Celtics at full strength VS Lakers with a 50% Bynum = 3-3 series, with a game 7 at staples.

Stop using the we were missing Bynum. Gasol never even played with Bynum that year. People are acting like the Lakers team was fully intact when they got Gasol. It was mentioned before that the owner went after Gasol once Bynum went down.

If the Lakers take Gasol the same offseason the Celtics took Garnett. The Lakers probably would have won 3 titles at this point. Kobe was way better in 2008. The Lakers had never lost a series with HCA in the last 3 years....
Eliowns
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#68 » by Eliowns » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Jay From LA wrote:Image

:lol: :lol:
ball_dont_lie
Junior
And1: 0

Post#69 » by ball_dont_lie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:10 pm

picc wrote:
ball_dont_lie wrote:

They are. If you think either of them wouldn't be ticked hearing that comment, then you're as deluded as Doc is.

Deluded? Some of you Laker fans sure have issues.

You guys have a problem if someone says something good about the Lakers, and you have a problem if someone says something bad.

The Celtics and Lakers hate each other. They have never kissed each others a-s-s before, and nor will they ever do it in the future. As a fan if you can't sit back and enjoy the trash talking like this, then too bad.
llllllllllllll
Bench Warmer

Post#70 » by llllllllllllll » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Both of these teams won rings off each other.

IDK what's Doc trying to prove here.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#71 » by realfung » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Well, Doc didn't lie so I guess all the Lakers fans please calm down first before throwing out all those punches.

I hope Doc saying this to motivate his team but not just want to believe so, cause in NBA or real war, this is not quite an excuse.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,146

Post#72 » by druggas » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:12 pm

The Celts choked away a win in game 7. They have become a "soft" team.
Viol8tor Mode
Junior
And1: 1

Post#73 » by Viol8tor Mode » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:13 pm

ball_dont_lie wrote:
picc wrote:
ball_dont_lie wrote:Lakers won the championship so I don't see why Laker fans are getting a bit worked up with this comment.

Because its dumb, disrespectful, and narrow-minded.

Doc credited and congratulated the Lakers after their win in game 7, which is more than enough on his part. Now if you expect him and the rest of the Celtics to keep praising the Lakers until they meet again, then I really don't think that is going to happen.

We dont expect any "Praise" from the Celtic camp, just stop saying these type of things that come off sounding like excuses away from the media.

When the Lakers lost in 08, all the players and coaches said how bitter a taste game 6 left and how they looked forward to working harder in the off season, getting healthy and coming back stronger next year.

They even ran a story during the finals that when Phil Jackson ran into Paul Pierce in L.A during the offseason, he told him to get back in the NBA finals cuse he wanted a rematch.

He didnt tell him........."hey if only we had Bynum and Ariza healthy". :lol:

In other words, if your Doc, just take your losses like a man and STFU.
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#74 » by desertlakerfan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:17 pm

realfung wrote:Well, Doc didn't lie so I guess all the Lakers fans please calm down first before throwing out all those punches.

I hope Doc saying this to motivate his team but not just want to believe so, cause in NBA or real war, this is not quite an excuse.

How has he not lied?

Did they beat our starting 5 in some tourney played over the summer of 09 that I missed?
ball_dont_lie
Junior

Post#75 » by ball_dont_lie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:17 pm

Viol8tor Mode wrote:

We dont expect any "Praise" from the Celtic camp, just stop saying these type of things that come off sounding like excuses away from the media.

When the Lakers lost in 08, all the players and coaches said how bitter a taste game 6 left and how they looked forward to working harder in the off season, getting healthy and coming back stronger next year.

They even ran a story during the finals that when Phil Jackson ran into Paul Pierce in L.A during the offseason, he told him to get back in the NBA finals cuse he wanted a rematch.

Doc has always said that his starting 5 is unbeatable, so why is this all of a sudden being treated like some breaking news?

Am pretty sure this isn't the first time we heard Doc say this.

And the C's have know that the team to beat next season is the Lakers, and that is why they reloaded according to that. Rondo has clearly said that they won't get over this loss until they win another ring.

Are the C's complaining about the refs at every given chance? No.

Are the C's crying their a-s-s off about losing? No.

They are clearly looking forward to going into next season, and finishing the job and getting their 2nd ring.

You really think Doc called up the media to make this comment? He was prob asked about it, and he just said that. Big deal!
Jeff23
Lead Assistant
And1: 245

Post#76 » by Jeff23 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:18 pm

I think Doc should be complaining about the officiating. They let them play 3 quarters long, check the scoreboard and then decide to call everything against the C's?
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#77 » by desertlakerfan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:19 pm

ball_dont_lie wrote:
Viol8tor Mode wrote:

Doc has always said that his starting 5 is unbeatable, so why is this all of a sudden being treated like some breaking news?

Am pretty sure this isn't the first time we heard Doc say this.

And the C's have know that the team to beat next season is the Lakers, and that is why they reloaded according to that. Rondo has clearly said that they won't get over this loss until they win another ring.

Are the C's complaining about the refs at every given chance? No.

Are the C's crying their a-s-s off about losing? No.

They are clearly looking forward to going into next season, and finishing the job and getting their 2nd ring.

You really think Doc called up the media to make this comment? He was prob asked about it, and he just said that. Big deal!

The only thing that is new is he is saying that they've beaten our starting 5, which is blatantly false.

Doc can say they've never lost all he wants, but once he starts rewriting history saying they've beaten our starting 5 that's where he starts looking really foolish.
ball_dont_lie
Junior

Post#78 » by ball_dont_lie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:23 pm

desertlakerfan wrote:
The only thing that is new is he is saying that they've beaten our starting 5, which is blatantly false.

Doc can say they've never lost all he wants, but once he starts rewriting history saying they've beaten our starting 5 that's where he starts looking really foolish.

Look I agree on the foolish part. I am not a big fan at times of the type of silly comments that Pierce or Doc makes.

The only thing I don't get is that all season long Doc kept saying this, so I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up on it all of a sudden now.

Lakers won the ring, and pretty much have nothing to prove. You guys shouldn't be wasting your energy over this harmless comment.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,719

Post#79 » by GameOver25 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:25 pm

It's the offseason, there's nothing wrong with what Doc said. He's just trying to stir things up.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#80 » by Malinhion » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:29 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
Malinhion wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Kobe's boards prior to game 7 are 7-5-7-6-5-11

You made the statement that Kobe would not grab 15 rebounds with Perkin's in the game, so I posted the actual rebounds of both men while both of them were in the games.

Those other 4 bodies on the Celtics team didn't stop Kobe from grabbing 15 rebounds and Perkin's didn't stop Kobe from grabbing 11 boards in game 6.

Let's say Perkins only played six minutes in game 6. Would he be able to stop Kobe from getting 11 boards? Would Kobe's rebounding spike seem to indicate that he was a much stronger rebounder with Perkins out of the game?

I'd await your reply, but now we know you didn't even watch the games, so this debate is over.

Return to The General Board