Are the Kobe/Pau Lakers laziest champions ever?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Are the Kobe/Pau Lakers laziest champions ever? 

Post#41 » by LApwnd » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:31 pm

Malinhion wrote:
akola wrote:Explain how it was a weak Western conference in recent memory when one of the seasons in the past couple years was loaded with 9-10 50 win teams? At that time the Western conference was busy wiping the floor with weak ass Eastern conference teams.

The East has been stronger for a couple years. The West often gets the better of the conference battle because of travel and time zone changes. The Celtics playing a primetime game in Los Angeles are basically tipping off at midnight. Not exactly what you want with a geriatric squad. Seems to be the exact type of thing that would put them to bed in the fourth quarter.

you mean the EAST where you can get into the playoff with sub to below sub .500 record? :lol:
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#42 » by triplet1984 » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:32 pm

Err if that's true, then imagine if they weren't lazy?
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#43 » by The Skyhook » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:33 pm

Malinhion wrote:No. They're just not that good compared to other champions. Incredibly deep, but not the most talented bunch.

I disagree. They were actually incredibly talented but not they certainly did not have close to the best depth.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#44 » by Malinhion » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:39 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Malinhion wrote:
akola wrote:Explain how it was a weak Western conference in recent memory when one of the seasons in the past couple years was loaded with 9-10 50 win teams? At that time the Western conference was busy wiping the floor with weak ass Eastern conference teams.

The East has been stronger for a couple years. The West often gets the better of the conference battle because of travel and time zone changes. The Celtics playing a primetime game in Los Angeles are basically tipping off at midnight. Not exactly what you want with a geriatric squad. Seems to be the exact type of thing that would put them to bed in the fourth quarter.

you mean the EAST where you can get into the playoff with sub to below sub .500 record? :lol:

Who cares about the bottom of the playoffs? More than half the league makes the postseason. That's a stupid way to evaluate. The East has and has had more contenders in recent memory.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#45 » by dockingsched » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:41 pm

it matters when you get to stroll through an entire round compared to battling someone like the thunder. its like getting a 2 week vacation before the real teams come around!
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#46 » by LApwnd » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:43 pm

Malinhion wrote:
Who cares about the bottom of the playoffs? More than half the league makes the postseason. That's a stupid way to evaluate. The East has and has had more contenders in recent memory.

who might that be? Over the last 3 yrs only Orl/Clev/Bos has been clear contenders, West top 5 could all be contenders at any given time. Even lower seeds like Por/Hou were legit contenders baring health.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#47 » by Malinhion » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:43 pm

dcash4 wrote:it matters when you get to stroll through an entire round compared to battling someone like the thunder. its like getting a 2 week vacation before the real teams come around!

I'd rather face the Thunder three times than to see ORL, BOS, or LeBron's Cavs in the ECF.

Oh no! Not a franchise on its first playoff appearance! I'm shakin' in my boots!
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,717

Post#48 » by GameOver25 » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:45 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Malinhion wrote:

who might that be? Over the last 3 yrs only Orl/Clev/Bos has been clear contenders, West top 5 could all be contenders at any given time. Even lower seeds like Por/Hou were legit contenders baring health.

Only the Lakers have been clear cut contenders out West for the past several years.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#49 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:47 pm

Malinhion wrote:
dcash4 wrote:it matters when you get to stroll through an entire round compared to battling someone like the thunder. its like getting a 2 week vacation before the real teams come around!

I'd rather face the Thunder three times than to see ORL, BOS, or LeBron's Cavs in the ECF.

Oh no! Not a franchise on its first playoff appearance! I'm shakin' in my boots!

The Sonics have been to the playoffs before.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#50 » by dockingsched » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:47 pm

Malinhion wrote:

you apparently didn't read the threads where the thunder were unanimously declared the greatest 8th seed ever.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
akola
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#51 » by akola » Thu Sep 9, 2010 9:49 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Malinhion wrote:

+1 :lol: Yeah now imagine if the Lakers was in the lEAST
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#52 » by desertlakerfan » Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:01 pm

TAI8 wrote:
Yeah that is what I call lazy. Why a team would want to MORE games when going for a title run is beyond me. I'll laugh the day Pau or Kobe goes down on a playoff game that they purposefully lose due to said laziness.

The '08 Celtics were different. That was their first time playing together as a group in the playoffs and DOMINATED the Hawks in the first two games at home. They had trouble on the road for sure but you can't attribute that to laziness unlike the Lakers who actually LOST the first game AT HOME against Houston! And the Lakers already had experience from the year before. How do you explain the Lakers putting away the '08 Spurs, who were still a title contender then, in 5 and beating Utah the previous round in 6? It's not about matchups, it's about effort and the Fakers obviously disrespect lesser opponents by not trying as hard. That is what disgusts me.

How were the 08 celtics different? They had a weak 8th seed take them to the brink of elimination, they were 1 game away from being the next Dallas Maveriks of 07. Then they got taken to 7 again in the second round by Cleveland before they started to play well.

Underestimating opponents happens all the time, it's a key ingredient of alot of upsets. Not sure why it's getting your panties in such a bunch, other than you're just a "Faker" hater grasping to legitimize your irrational hatred.
Got Rings
Banned User

Post#53 » by Got Rings » Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:05 pm

inappropriate image
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#54 » by TAI8 » Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:05 pm

Phil XI wrote:
TAI8 wrote:
No. I don't see what I said wrong. It's a fact that they don't try as hard against the lesser teams. That's why their series against Houston took so long. That's what I have been saying all along. Apparently many of you can't read or think straight. I find it hard to believe the Lakers were putting in forth the same effort against Orlando and San Antonio as they did Houston and Utah. Unless you truly believe those teams were as tough as the series length indicate.

So you are cherry picking a couple series's ... well really a couple games in the past 2 years against playoff teams? Where The Lakers actually won.. beat a team by 30 points in one game in a crucial game 5 and closed the team out in game 7 by 20 points?

But you trying to put them against the Spurs who won a ring in a 50 game season against an 8th seed.. and couldn't get back to the finals in consecutive years while being one of the best teams in league?

I don't think anyone is saying the Lakers have been the best of all time, but they went up against playoff caliber 50+ win teams and won. They climbed back to the finals 3 years in a row..

And that's the point. The Lakers are that much better than Houston and Denver yet they don't bring their A game each and every game. For them to suffer two 12+ point blow out losses and a 19 point beatdown to Houston (without Yao and TMac) and Denver is embarassing not to mention how actually close that Denver series was in the first couple of games. And the reason I bring up the Spurs is because I don't remember the Spurs ever having a series against much lesser opponents in which they were blown out multiple times in any of their title runs. Their only major blowout was against Utah in '07 and not surprisingly, that was their only win.
DonKilluminati
Banned User

Post#55 » by DonKilluminati » Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:08 pm

If the Lakers were/are being lazy, I'd hate to see what they'd to do the rest of the leg when they're not feeling so lazy.
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#56 » by TAI8 » Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:08 pm

desertlakerfan wrote:
TAI8 wrote:
Yeah that is what I call lazy. Why a team would want to MORE games when going for a title run is beyond me. I'll laugh the day Pau or Kobe goes down on a playoff game that they purposefully lose due to said laziness.

The '08 Celtics were different. That was their first time playing together as a group in the playoffs and DOMINATED the Hawks in the first two games at home. They had trouble on the road for sure but you can't attribute that to laziness unlike the Lakers who actually LOST the first game AT HOME against Houston! And the Lakers already had experience from the year before. How do you explain the Lakers putting away the '08 Spurs, who were still a title contender then, in 5 and beating Utah the previous round in 6? It's not about matchups, it's about effort and the Fakers obviously disrespect lesser opponents by not trying as hard. That is what disgusts me.

How were the 08 celtics different? They had a weak 8th seed take them to the brink of elimination, they were 1 game away from being the next Dallas Maveriks of 07. Then they got taken to 7 again in the second round by Cleveland before they started to play well.

Underestimating opponents happens all the time, it's a key ingredient of alot of upsets. Not sure why it's getting your panties in such a bunch, other than you're just a "Faker" hater grasping to legitimize your irrational hatred.

Because they only play 1 good team to win a championship. Put this same Laker team on the Western Conference from '05-'07 and I bet you they won't be pulling this same crap then.
dznutzz
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#57 » by dznutzz » Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:08 pm

never underestimate a team who has nothing to lose.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#58 » by Milkdud » Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:09 pm

Lazy doesn't make any sense to me. That Laker team wasn't talented enough to juggernaut opponents during every game. There PG rotation was bad, and there bench was very thin. I think the fact they won a championship to be reflects the opposite.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#59 » by phx#7 » Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:15 pm

Malinhion wrote:The East has been stronger for a couple years. The West often gets the better of the conference battle because of travel and time zone changes. The Celtics playing a primetime game in Los Angeles are basically tipping off at midnight. Not exactly what you want with a geriatric squad. Seems to be the exact type of thing that would put them to bed in the fourth quarter.

That is such a weak argument. You may as well point out all the extra travel time the Western teams have to put up with.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#60 » by Wavy Q » Thu Sep 9, 2010 10:18 pm

did RipCityLives hack your account or something?

Return to The General Board