Are the Kings/Evans regressing?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,504

Re: Are the Kings/Evans regressing? 

Post#21 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:22 am

Cammo101 wrote:Does this mean Kings fans will be un-inducting Evans and Cousins from the Hall of Fame?

SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#22 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:44 am

It comes down the simple fact that the Kings have NO OFFENSIVE SYSTEM. Just listen to the players. Ime Udoka already put Westphal on blast, and probably because he's elated to be out of it. Beno Udrih came out and basically said it all, they have no system, guys don't know what they're doing out there, and the rotations change so often you start one game and DON'T EVEN PLAY THE NEXT!
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#23 » by shangrila » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:20 am

I'll wait a while before I'll say they've regressed. Evans is battling injuries, the coaching is terrible and there's not a lot of good veteran experience on that roster.

But the attitudes worry me long term. Cousins will explode one way or another, whether on or off the court. And the way Tyreke is playing now, even if he's injured, is disgusting. Hoisting up jump shots early in the shot clock is incredibly selfish and not what you want from your star, even if he is still young.
TheRightAnswer
Junior
And1: 116

Post#24 » by TheRightAnswer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:35 am

A big problem is that their two most talented players aren't really leaders. Whether that will change with time, I don't know. There were question marks surrounding Cousins' mentality when he was drafted, so it's not that unexpected, but Tyreke's off-the-court behavior (driving like a maniac) is pointing in the same direction. In addition, they also don't seem to work that hard. I mean, Tyreke didn't add anything to his game. Stupidity and comlplacency aren't two qualities you want from you're supposed foundation.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#25 » by KF10 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:36 am

Everything is not clicking for the Kings: both offensively and defensively. Some of the blame goes to the players, sure. But the most blame should be on the coach.

Like most Kings fans already said, we have NO offensive system. It is entirely one on one play and high screen & rolls. Players such as Landry, Dalembert has been utilized very wrong: offensive roles. Landry was an efficient, dynamic player that can create havoc in the post as a RESERVE. Now, he is a face-up jumpshooter. And Dalembert: the Kings actually RAN ISOs for him! ISOs! He is given the most offensive freedom in his entire career here in contrast back in Philadelphia.

The Kings do not have any counters if the opposing team stop their initial play. The Kings are very predictable with the ball. They have nothing to rely on to.

But most importantly, Evans is not 100% due to the plantar fasciitis on his foot (and to some extent other nagging injuries: sore ankles & bone spurs). If the Kings do not have Evans healthy soon, this team is not going to get far.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,723

Post#26 » by AussieBuck » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:01 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:It comes down the simple fact that the Kings have NO OFFENSIVE SYSTEM. Just listen to the players. Ime Udoka already put Westphal on blast, and probably because he's elated to be out of it. Beno Udrih came out and basically said it all, they have no system, guys don't know what they're doing out there, and the rotations change so often you start one game and DON'T EVEN PLAY THE NEXT!

That still doesn't explain the D Cousins is playing. Is there no system there either?
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#27 » by KF10 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:06 am

AussieBuck wrote:That still doesn't explain the D Cousins is playing. Is there no system there either?

It is not only Cousins. The team doesn't know how to play team defense in general. Defensive rotations are pretty mediocre to horrible. Which is a shame because the Kings have several players that can D up well.

I mean, the last several of games before the Clippers game, the Kings played one of the best defenses I've seen in a while. For example: They limited the top-2 PGs in Paul & Williams B2B games to the point that they were almost entirely ineffective on offense. I thought the Kings were on a verge creating a new identity: a defensive identity. But the last couple of games, the effort in defense just wasn't there nor any defensive adjustments either. So, a defensive identity may be put on hold once after the Kings repair their woes.

The Kings offense is in a worse shape than their defense though.

If you are going to single out Cousins, you also have to do it for everyone in the team that hasn't played good defense on a consistent basis: Beno, Landry, Evans & Casspi. There are other players but you get the point. Cousins isn't the only one at fault here.
droponov
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#28 » by droponov » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:07 pm

This team is too young. Too many young and dumb players + veterans who only play 1 way.

I'd go back to start Udrih, this type of offense, with Evans and Luther Head sharing point-guards duty, is too chaotic and is leading to young players developing bad habits. Also play Garcia a lot. Give Dalembert and also Landry a lot of time too. Don't be afraid of yanking Evans and Cousins - who's a very poor player right now.

Then stick to a rotation for awhile, like 3 months, regardless of how things are going. Let players figure out things.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,454

Post#29 » by rpa » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:42 pm

I still don't get why people expected the Kings to make an OKC like jump this year. It took OKC 3 years with Durant to become relevant and Durant is a much better player than Evans.

One very interesting similarity between the 2 teams, though, is coaching. Most people thought Carlesemo would be a great veteran coach for that team but he failed MISERABLY. You have to wonder if Westphal is playing that role for the Kings team.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#30 » by slick_watts » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:13 pm

I never liked Westphal as the coach for this group. They need a guy who can handle the young egos and build a system that starts with team basketball. Westphal to me is too out of touch for this group of players and his coaching style lacks the structure they need.
Riker
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#31 » by Riker » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Please trade Thompson.

My fantasy team really misses him.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#32 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:48 am

thanks for the quality input guys, I think a guy like Jameer Nelson would be great for these guys he seems like the gritty veteran PG who could help give the team vet leadership. Regardless they need a good coach as well.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#33 » by AussieBuck » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:20 am

KF10 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:That still doesn't explain the D Cousins is playing. Is there no system there either?

It is not only Cousins. The team doesn't know how to play team defense in general. Defensive rotations are pretty mediocre to horrible. Which is a shame because the Kings have several players that can D up well.

I'm singling Cousins out because he looks he has the worst defensive instincts I've seen in a big guy in a while. He may look a little worse than some guys because he'll stick an arm in to stop a guy where other bad defenders will just watch the guy go by but he's definitely stand-out terrible so far on D.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#34 » by KF10 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:39 am

AussieBuck wrote:I'm singling Cousins out because he looks he has the worst defensive instincts I've seen in a big guy in a while. He may look a little worse than some guys because he's stick an arm in to stop a guy where other bad defenders will just watch the guy go by but he's definitely stand-out terrible so far on D.

I wouldn't say he has horrible defensive instincts. His positional defense is actually decent and he has the ability to draw the charge in right moments (which should be familiar for Bucks fans because Bogut draws one of the most charges in the NBA in terms of big man & know how valuable they are Image ).

But his rotations on defense is pretty bad (and his recognition to help or not is still in work in progress too) I could give you that, sure. With that said, it's normal for players to be bad on defense as a rookie.

Again, there are players (not just Cousins) in the Kings that has been pretty bad on defense or at the very least, don't know what to do in terms of team defense.
Deathray
Junior
And1: 110

Post#35 » by Deathray » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:54 am

Cousins was passing like a point guard during the summer league but the way they are running their offense now everybody treats assists like the hantavirus. Lack of creativity on offense is killing them.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#36 » by AussieBuck » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:09 am

KF10 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:I'm singling Cousins out because he looks he has the worst defensive instincts I've seen in a big guy in a while. He may look a little worse than some guys because he's stick an arm in to stop a guy where other bad defenders will just watch the guy go by but he's definitely stand-out terrible so far on D.

I wouldn't say he has horrible defensive instincts. His positional defense is actually decent and he has the ability to draw the charge in right moments (which should be familiar for Bucks fans because Bogut draws one of the most charges in the NBA in terms of big man & know how valuable they are Image ).

But his rotations on defense is pretty bad (and his recognition to help or not is still in work in progress too) I could give you that, sure. With that said, it's normal for players to be bad on defense as a rookie.

Again, there are players (not just Cousins) in the Kings that has been pretty bad on defense or at the very least, don't know what to do in terms of team defense.

He's made Landry look decent by comparison and Thompson good. He looks horrible even for a rookie.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,850

Post#37 » by Zeitgeister » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:36 pm

darth_federer wrote:I always thought that Evans while a very very good player didnt have that next gear in him. I dont think he ll ever be a top 10 player in the NBA

I was called a hater for bringing that up early in the season. Then we hear rumors about the kings placating to Evans stats.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#38 » by JordansBulls » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:07 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:Before the season I feel like they got a lot of the "next OKC" vibes where everyone thought we may see a jump out of them and at least an improvement. However, Evans numbers are down across the board they don't look as loose as they were last year, is it too early to say their young talent doesn't fit as well as we thought it would?

Well they have Luther Head as the starting PG.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#39 » by Cruel_Ruin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:40 pm

OKC didn't turn the corner until they fired PJ Carlisimo and promoted Scott Brooks. Just saying.
chubby_1_kenobi
Starter
And1: 20

Post#40 » by chubby_1_kenobi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
darth_federer wrote:I always thought that Evans while a very very good player didnt have that next gear in him. I dont think he ll ever be a top 10 player in the NBA

I was called a hater for bringing that up early in the season. Then we hear rumors about the kings placating to Evans stats.

I'm curious where you heard the rumor from. I do have some suspicions a few bottom tier team purposely alter their game plan to make their franchise player look good on the statsheet but never had any conclusive evidence so I'm really interested in knowing where you heard that rumor from.

Return to The General Board