can the league afford Heat not winning this/next year.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

RichardsRival3
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: can the league afford Heat not winning this/next year. 

Post#21 » by RichardsRival3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Flash3 wrote:
ELCIDz wrote:Win or lose the Heat will be a draw (except in MIA ironically). But it would have been better to have Wade and Lebron on different teams. Not so much Bosh.

As a Miami fan, no and no 7 days a week and 3 times on Sunday.

Chicago, NY, LA and NJ along with MIA were all trying to get 2 of the top Free Agents this past summer. Their fans were also all in the same boat. So from that perspective given that the teams struck out and were left with 2nd tier choices, now people want to say otherwise?

lol come on, you know you would not say that if LBJ and Wade had chosen NYC instead. As much as you and other heat fans try to deny it deep down you know the only reason why you are okay with it is because its MIA. it would have been way better watching LBJ and Wade go at each other in the playoffs instead of teaming up.
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
And1: 339

Post#22 » by Dr Pepper » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:13 pm

The NBA is going to desperately need all the help they can get next year when it comes to making money and ratings. This is due to the likely and probably also lengthy lockout next year. If they play in a shortened but brutal season like the '99 one then I can see the Heat's young and incredibly talented Big 3 dominating teams more than usual especially in the lackluster East.

However a Boston and Lakers Finals still seems like the biggest marquee you can have not only in the NBA but American sports in general. The NBA would probably make the most money out of that but its also hard to deny all the ratings that LeBron and the Heat have gotten already. The Lakers/Celtics rivalry revival brought back a lot of the old school fans and renewed interest in the league...the Heat have since carried that torch except it seems like they've gotten more a lot more younger fans and overall interest.
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,996

Post#23 » by LascelleL » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:35 pm

The league doesn't need LeBron...they can market guys like Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose now
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,485

Post#24 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:38 pm

RRT wrote:Look at it like this. A superhero has to be made. Kobe don't make money, LeBron does, that's the face of NBA, that's the Jordan. But, his likability is kind of down right now, he has to win this year or else people gon start being disinterested in the league, and we all know this is a business.

Kobe makes money, and the league will always be happy with the Lakers & Celtics in the finals.

This is a business, but you don't have an accurate understanding of how it functions.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
FAB0L0US
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#25 » by FAB0L0US » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Its troubling so many people believe things like this. *shrug* just like in politics and every other facet of human interest nowadays it appears a belief in conspiracy theories runs rampant. Very intelligent people (and also useless stoners lol) can believe some terribly irrational drivel like this sometimes. Very confusing for me.

Rerisen wrote:An impending lockout is a little more important to the league's health than whether the Heat win or not.

This :clap: :clap:
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#26 » by Flash3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:12 pm

RichardsRival3 wrote:
Flash3 wrote:
ELCIDz wrote:Win or lose the Heat will be a draw (except in MIA ironically). But it would have been better to have Wade and Lebron on different teams. Not so much Bosh.

Chicago, NY, LA and NJ along with MIA were all trying to get 2 of the top Free Agents this past summer. Their fans were also all in the same boat. So from that perspective given that the teams struck out and were left with 2nd tier choices, now people want to say otherwise?

lol come on, you know you would not say that if LBJ and Wade had chosen NYC instead. As much as you and other heat fans try to deny it deep down you know the only reason why you are okay with it is because its MIA. it would have been way better watching LBJ and Wade go at each other in the playoffs instead of teaming up.

Of course I would not be content had NY gotten them over Miami, because I am a fan of Miami. But I would not be going to lengths that some people have in saying the league is rigged, stern set this up for Miami, this was pre-conceived and whatever else has been thrown on the walls.

Those are just upset people and rightfully so. You're going to have a few teams (Mia, Bos, Chi and Orlando) for the most part be contenders in the East for a few years and teams such as ATL, MIL, CLT etc on the out wishing they even had 1% of the talent on those aforementioned teams,

BTW - I was MORE than content with Bosh and Wade, especially Wade coming back. LBJ was the cherry on top. I know that will burn a few people, but as a Heat fan I couldn't care less because this is MY team and after some crappy years when we didn't know where this team was going (2000-2002) I can say I would not want it any other right now, including the hate.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#27 » by GameTime_3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:24 pm

ELCIDz wrote:Win or lose the Heat will be a draw (except in MIA ironically).

Do your homework before posting rookie.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance
ELCIDz
Banned User

Post#28 » by ELCIDz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Flash3 wrote:

Yes, and Yes and Yes. Does it become more powerful if I repeat unnecessarily ? I don't know I guess Ill try. :lol: Anyway, having stars on different teams helps the small market teams out by having more draws per season. Has nothing to do with what I want or you want go ahead and take a chill pill there big guy, its stricly about what would help sell more tickets.

You can go ahead and take off your "U MAD?" glasses its not always about jealousy :roll:
ELCIDz
Banned User

Post#29 » by ELCIDz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:29 pm

GameTime_3 wrote:

:lol: @ bragging about 6th place. Come on big guy thats pathetic.
LAKERS_1981
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#30 » by LAKERS_1981 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:31 pm

detomaso wrote:
RRT wrote:
coldfish wrote:If I was the NBA, I would be horrified that discussions about the league being fixed are so commonplace. This concept is usually not even challenged, even on a heavily pro-NBA site like this one.

Well, this is the bottom line, it's not about it being fixed so much, it's entertainment, these guys are this good. The way players moved is obviously fixed though. I mean **** it, LeBron is an amazing player, and if you're going to build a Jordan replacement for your league, he would be the guy, but sometimes you have to control what you're dealing with.

Point 1, yes it's appalling that everyone thinks games are fixed or at least influenced heavily. Look at last year's Finals game 6 & 7. Before those games started, you KNEW LA would get more free throws - they were down 3-2, were in LA, and Stern wanted a Game 7, and then in Game 7 LA was the home team. End result: Game 6 FT 19-10 LA, Game 7 37-17!!! That happens much more in the NBA than any other league. I'm not saying LA didn't deserve to win -- I think the teams were virtually equal. But you KNEW whoever was down after 5 games was going to get ref support in Game 6, and you KNEW whoever was the home team was going to get calls in Game 7.

Point 2, LeBron will never be the face of the league now. He is not just disliked, he is ridiculed. He is looked at as a castrated assistant to WAde in Miami now. He blew his image apart, and it's not coming back. IMO it will be Durant, especially if he moves to an LA/Bos/Chi/NY market.

Just watch game 6 of the Finals. The Lakers won Boston in a blow out. Do you think the refs help the lakers in that game? Dont just watch stats, watch the game.
Lakers 72,80,82,85,87,88,00,01,02,09 and 10 champions
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Flash3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:32 pm

ELCIDz wrote:
Flash3 wrote:

Yes, and Yes and Yes. Does it become more powerful if I repeat unnecessarily ? I don't know I guess Ill try. :lol: Anyway, having stars on different teams helps the small market teams out by having more draws per season. Has nothing to do with what I want or you want go ahead and take a chill pill there big guy, its stricly about what would help sell more tickets.

You can go ahead and take off your "U MAD?" glasses its not always about jealousy :roll:

Who mad? I izn't mad. -- Can we seriously drop the U MAD non-sense? It has been taken the other way that it was intended and it's slowly becoming suspension/ban worthy on this board. And a few people have already been waived/banned (by other mods around the boards) for this crap. / mod rant

Of course small market teams would be better if they were to have an LBJ or a Wade or even a Bosh but you can stop tricking yourself into thinking a player of LBJ or Kobe's caliber is going to willingly go to a Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana when there are such places as Chicago, NY, Miami, LA and others alike. It's just not going to willlinglly happen via FA at least. So the whining and moaning about this by many makes no sense.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Flash3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:35 pm

ELCIDz wrote:
GameTime_3 wrote:

:lol: @ bragging about 6th place. Come on big guy thats pathetic.

Uhhh..the point is that they draw and that goes against your point. So there's no bragging there, just facts.

And fwiw - the Heat outdraw (at home, since that was your issue) the Lakers, Magic, and even the Celtics; 3 teams many say have better fans than Miami. But w/ever. It's useless banter to throw facts at the misinformed who become informed and then throw dung at the wall hoping it will stick.
ELCIDz
Banned User

Post#33 » by ELCIDz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Who mad? I izn't mad. -- Can we seriously drop the U MAD non-sense? It has been taken the other way that it was intended and it's slowly becoming suspension/ban worthy on this board. And a few people have already been waived/banned (by other mods around the boards) for this crap. / mod rant

Of course small market teams would be better if they were to have an LBJ or a Wade or even a Bosh but you can stop tricking yourself into thinking a player of LBJ or Kobe's caliber is going to willingly go to a Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana when there are such places as Chicago, NY, Miami, LA and others alike. It's just not going to willlinglly happen via FA at least. So the whining and moaning about this by many makes no sense

Dude I never said they should have signed with a small market I said it would be better had they gone to different teams(any market big or small)....more draws per season...we aren't connecting here at all. As for the U MAD stuff...sue me. It originated with MIA fans as far as I have observed and turn about is fair play.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#34 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:36 pm

RRT wrote:Look at it like this. A superhero has to be made. Kobe don't make money, LeBron does, that's the face of NBA, that's the Jordan. But, his likability is kind of down right now, he has to win this year or else people gon start being disinterested in the league, and we all know this is a business.
WTF........man get off this comic book drama, as long as the Lakers and Celtics along with a now coming Bulls and Knicks the league will make bank period. Forget about all this "face" selling crap it's ridiculous.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Steve Brule
Veteran
And1: 124

Post#35 » by Steve Brule » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Why would you say LeBron James is the next Michael Jordan?

If anything, LeBron is the Anti-Jordan. The league doesn't need Miami to win. As a matter of fact, if Miami DOES go out and win six straight, I can't help but think it would be absolutely terrible for the league.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#36 » by triplet1984 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Lebron said publicly they were going to win 7 titles.

Even 6 titles is a disappointment and will inspire plenty of Lebron mocking from me.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Flash3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:56 pm

ELCIDz wrote:

Of course small market teams would be better if they were to have an LBJ or a Wade or even a Bosh but you can stop tricking yourself into thinking a player of LBJ or Kobe's caliber is going to willingly go to a Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana when there are such places as Chicago, NY, Miami, LA and others alike. It's just not going to willlinglly happen via FA at least. So the whining and moaning about this by many makes no sense

Dude I never said they should have signed with a small market I said it would be better had they gone to different teams(any market big or small)....more draws per season...we aren't connecting here at all.

I just re-read what you wrote.....And while true, that's not anyone's fault really. How can the league even force that to happen, if it wanted to? A lot of small market teams already have the incentive to retain and keep their own stars but a lot of those teams just don't draft well and never get the Kobes, LeBrons, Wades etc because they are few and far between.

As for the U MAD stuff...sue me. It originated with MIA fans as far as I have observed and turn about is fair play.

It certainly did and plenty of Heat fans have been warned, suspended, and banned outright over the past few days (given the harder stance) with the U Mad references because this board doesn't need the extra non-sense.
FAB0L0US
Banned User

Post#38 » by FAB0L0US » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:01 pm

ELCIDz wrote:You can go ahead and take off your "U MAD?" glasses its not always about jealousy :roll:

ELCIDz wrote: :lol: @ bragging about 6th place. Come on big guy thats pathetic.

I like how you went from teasing/suggesting someone not to be jealous to flat out taunting someone about (of all things) attendance numbers. You are a funny man :roll: :roll:

Da-Met wrote:Lebron said publicly they were going to win 7 titles.

Even 6 titles is a disappointment and will inspire plenty of Lebron mocking from me.

:lol: :lol:
ELCIDz
Banned User

Post#39 » by ELCIDz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:03 pm

I just re-read what you wrote.....And while true, that's not anyone's fault really. How can the league even force that to happen, if it wanted to? A lot of small market teams already have the incentive to retain and keep their own stars but a lot of those teams just don't draft well and never get the Kobes, LeBrons, Wades etc because they are few and far between.

I also never stated or implied the league should force such a thing. I simply said that would have been the best outcome. That is all.

As for drafting well, the Hornets did draft Kobe(forced trade) and Paul(probably a goner). Thats probably 2 HOFers drafted there, not bad. Obviously not keeping them is bad management though as you seemed to be getting at. But thats neither here nor there since I never raised the issue of small markets and their own talent.

I believe you have conflated my arguments with those of others. Bad form.

Uhhh..the point is that they draw and that goes against your point. So there's no bragging there, just facts.

And fwiw - the Heat outdraw (at home, since that was your issue) the Lakers, Magic, and even the Celtics; 3 teams many say have better fans than Miami. But w/ever. It's useless banter to throw facts at the misinformed who become informed and then throw dung at the wall hoping it will stick.

Uhhh.. no it isn't. I intentionally made a completely subjective argument leaving me plenty of wiggle room. Hence, my point still stands. :D
FAB0L0US
Banned User

Post#40 » by FAB0L0US » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm

ELCIDz wrote:I believe you have conflated my arguments with those of others. Bad form.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to The General Board