Why aren't more arenas like Staples and MSG?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Re: Why aren't more arenas like Staples and MSG? 

Post#21 » by Master Shake » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:28 pm

The Pistons when good want it light and visible like that. We usually always sold out and seeing all the fans there was a form of intimidation. We had for awhile probably the loudest and most packed stadium in the league, and we wanted other teams to know it instead of darkening our crowd.

Everybody likes it differently I guess though. We should consider doing it now because of all the empty seats though. The Palace just kind of has its own identity though, its a Detroit thing, other places do their thing. Its all good.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
ShelB
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#22 » by ShelB » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Chosen01 wrote:
RRT wrote:
Trust me Jordan sold out every damn game in the 90s, no matter who was playing, maybe if anybody in Miami liked basketball, it woudn't be the case, lol.

But go ahead, blame it on Cleveland, who still has sold out crowds every damn game.

Was waiting for the usual heat insults, funny things Cavs fans talk like they attended games before LeBron came. :lol:

Kay, now I'll get involved...

Cavs fans may not have actually gone until LeBron got there, but once LeBron got there they actually went. Don't try to flip it and call Cleveland fairweather fans, because it's the pot calling the kettle black, except the kettle was always black and the pot used to be blue.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#23 » by magnumt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Luigi wrote:I think dimming the lights actually kills the crowd. In theory it should focus their attention on the floor, but in practice I think people end up watching it like a movie, quietly.

Doesn't happen at Lakers/Knicks Games. But I could see that happening if smaller MKT Teams tried this with smaller crowd draws.

Anyway, you should see how MSG will look after the renovations that are happening now are complete. Will be REALLY nice. There will even be a Sky-Bridge way above the Court, and lots of open glass type areas (like the new Yankees Stadium).

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Chosen01
RealGM
And1: 534

Post#24 » by Chosen01 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:45 pm

ShelB wrote:
Chosen01 wrote:
RRT wrote:
Trust me Jordan sold out every damn game in the 90s, no matter who was playing, maybe if anybody in Miami liked basketball, it woudn't be the case, lol.

But go ahead, blame it on Cleveland, who still has sold out crowds every damn game.

Was waiting for the usual heat insults, funny things Cavs fans talk like they attended games before LeBron came. :lol:

Kay, now I'll get involved...

Cavs fans may not have actually gone until LeBron got there, but once LeBron got there they actually went. Don't try to flip it and call Cleveland fairweather fans, because it's the pot calling the kettle black, except the kettle was always black and the pot used to be blue.

Except the Heat have never been last in the league before 2003, since then have been at least in the middle of the pack in attendance, this year they are 3rd in the league in attendance.
The part of the arena you claim to see empty is the lower bowls which is occupied by rich people and celebs who come extremely late or choose not to come at all.Or do you think an average real heat fan can afford those seats?..

What some of you guys don't understand is that tickets this year are over priced as hell, yet Heat still draw 100.1% attendance.. so just stop.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,220

Post#25 » by Heat3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:51 pm

I never liked the lights out look on tv. as far as attending the game, i'm always in the nosebleeds and it's always dark up there anyway lol
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#26 » by magnumt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Don't turn this into a Heat vs Cavs Thread.

Thanks.

magnumt6
ShelB
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#27 » by ShelB » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 pm

EDIT: Was typing before the above post was posted.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#28 » by tidho » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Chosen01 wrote:...The part of the arena you claim to see empty is the lower bowls which is occupied by rich people and celebs who come extremely late or choose not to come at all.Or do you think an average real heat fan can afford those seats?..
What some of you guys don't understand is that tickets this year are over priced as hell, yet Heat still draw 100.1% attendance.. so just stop.

Wow, defensive much?
This thread is about lighting for TV presentation.

I was the original person to bring up last night's Heat game and its not a "claim" that the lower bowl was half empty, its a fact.
I think everyone realizes the average fan can't affored lower bowl seats, and I also realize that some of those seats may be for out of town elites that just wanted to lock in playoff tickets, or whatever. The Heat clearly don't "draw 100% attendance" though or there would be people sitting there. Whether they sell 100% of their seats I neither know nor care.
What all involved in the earlier Heat related discussion agreed on before you came in guns-a-blazin' was this...
tidho wrote:Really doesn't matter if its apathetic Miami fans or Cleveland being a bad visiting draw. The point is, when your arena looks as bad as Miami's did last night they shouldn't show the crowd.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by magnumt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:13 pm

magnumt wrote:Don't turn this into a Heat vs Cavs Thread.

Thanks.

Last Warning.

magnumt6
MSGLegendNY
Starter
And1: 75

Post#30 » by MSGLegendNY » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:18 pm

I thought the TD Garden in Boston dimmed the lights a little bit as well. Seems that way.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#31 » by Wilford Brimley » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:35 pm

This is not on topic, but one thing that really bothers me is how dark some courts are. Dallas, LAL and Milwaukee's floors look very bright and welcoming, and then teams like the Spurs and Suns look dark and depressing.
Harry_Seaward
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#32 » by Harry_Seaward » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:01 pm

NY and LA don't want you to see the first three rows of "fans" on their blackberry's not paying attention to the game.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#33 » by Slax » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:10 pm

MSGLegendNY wrote:I thought the TD Garden in Boston dimmed the lights a little bit as well. Seems that way.

They dim the lights in the stands while introducing the players at the beginning of the game. The rest of the game, the whole arena is lit up.
ripthecord
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#34 » by ripthecord » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:41 pm

because only kobe can shoot lights out.
RaePingYu
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#35 » by RaePingYu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 am

Don't the Lakers and clippers use different lighting?
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#36 » by NOODLESTYLE » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:31 am

RaePingYu wrote:Don't the Lakers and clippers use different lighting?

yes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCwzeupxlc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbsRLUkLMVM[/youtube]
gtswish
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#37 » by gtswish » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 pm

raptors areana is like that if not better.. maybe too damn bright.... but i agree with miami needing to switch it up..but when your actually there live the darker areanas are better..but of course on tv, the brighter ones are miles ahead.

Return to The General Board