Nick Young

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

wwtsm
Banned User
And1: 0

Nick Young 

Post#1 » by wwtsm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Just dropped 43 last night, has been averaging almost 20 points a game over the last 15 or so...is this guy for real?
DemarcusCousins
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Nick Young 

Post#2 » by DemarcusCousins » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Calmdown kid. It was the kings who have the worst record.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:42 pm

It'd be nice to see him spread the numbers around and not just score. If Wall is getting the assist, fine, but Young still needs to improve in other areas of the game. On December 29th he had his best game of the season, he scored 29 points, and had 9 rebounds. He has range and he can score, but that's about it.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#4 » by TheHartBreakKid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:52 pm

HMFFL wrote:It'd be nice to see him spread the numbers around and not just score. If Wall is getting the assist, fine, but Young still needs to improve in other areas of the game. On December 29th he had his best game of the season, he scored 29 points, and had 9 rebounds. He has range and he can score, but that's about it.

Exactly this. He's on my fantasy team so I've followed his stats closely, and He has had numerous 20/2/1 22/3/0 type of games. He's a good scorer on decent efficiency, but I wouldn't want him on my team. Unless he could work on his other parts of hsi game, he will either be a high volume scorer on a bad team, or coudl be the offensive spark off the bench for an offensively challenged good team. He is the real deal when it comes to scoring though.
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#5 » by Darain » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 am

wafer88 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:It'd be nice to see him spread the numbers around and not just score. If Wall is getting the assist, fine, but Young still needs to improve in other areas of the game. On December 29th he had his best game of the season, he scored 29 points, and had 9 rebounds. He has range and he can score, but that's about it.

Exactly this. He's on my fantasy team so I've followed his stats closely, and He has had numerous 20/2/1 22/3/0 type of games. He's a good scorer on decent efficiency, but I wouldn't want him on my team. Unless he could work on his other parts of hsi game, he will either be a high volume scorer on a bad team, or coudl be the offensive spark off the bench for an offensively challenged good team. He is the real deal when it comes to scoring though.

So Nick Young is a perfect example of a Pure Scorer?
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#6 » by Paeds » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:55 am

He is the East Coast Kevin Martin
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#7 » by dlts20 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:18 am

He is not Kevin Martin at all. He might use to be but now the kid is a very good man to man defender. Thats what people overlook about him now. Everyone still thinks he's a goofy chucker who has a very low IQ and stinks on D but its not true. He's much smarter now, doesnt smile all game like he use to, and most of all the last 2 years he's played good D, and is very good on D this year.

NY will probably never do the other things on the stat sheet, atleast not now but he's not just a regular guy because he defends. His scoring variety is one of the highest in the game and he can play great man to man defense. Thats enough for me. If he didnt play D then it would be different but he does and he's not a chucker.

My only one complaint is that he's not getting to the line more. IDK how much of that is him and how much of it is the system. He's a great athelete with good quickness, leaping ability, handles, and has the J, so there should be nothing to stop him from getting to the line alot. I kinda blame some on Flip because when he doesnt catch & shoot, Flip acts like he gets upset. If NY starts handling the ball then Flip gets upset. I also think they should use him in the post more. His post moves are probably top 3 at the SG spot along with Kobe & Wade
HeyJoe
Starter
And1: 12

Post#8 » by HeyJoe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 am

wafer88 wrote:

he's shooting 46% w/ 41% from 3. a lot of other scorers in this league does a lot worse and nothing else. he's got a john wall and he's supposed to be the finisher so you don't expect him to have any assists. he grabs like 2-3 boards a game, which isn't that bad for a tiny guard. what else do you want from him? steals? since he's gotten minutes, he's actually avging 1 a game, which is also adequate. he's exactly what a shooting guard should be.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager

Post#9 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:35 am

dlts20 wrote:He is not Kevin Martin at all. He might use to be but now the kid is a very good man to man defender. Thats what people overlook about him now. Everyone still thinks he's a goofy chucker who has a very low IQ and stinks on D but its not true. He's much smarter now, doesnt smile all game like he use to, and most of all the last 2 years he's played good D, and is very good on D this year.

NY will probably never do the other things on the stat sheet, atleast not now but he's not just a regular guy because he defends. His scoring variety is one of the highest in the game and he can play great man to man defense. Thats enough for me. If he didnt play D then it would be different but he does and he's not a chucker.

My only one complaint is that he's not getting to the line more. IDK how much of that is him and how much of it is the system. He's a great athelete with good quickness, leaping ability, handles, and has the J, so there should be nothing to stop him from getting to the line alot. I kinda blame some on Flip because when he doesnt catch & shoot, Flip acts like he gets upset. If NY starts handling the ball then Flip gets upset. I also think they should use him in the post more. His post moves are probably top 3 at the SG spot along with Kobe & Wade

Interesting...didn't know about him being a good defender. But while all the bolded part is true, he doesn't use it for anything more than scoring. He needs to become a better passer if he ever wants to become close to being an allstar, or a big part in a winning team. He is a good relatively young player though. Haven't really noticed his D in the few wizards game I've watched, but if true I'm glad he's contributing in more ways than one. Any idea on how his teammates are with him? I figured they would be annoyed by his lack of passing.
Darain wrote:
wafer88 wrote:

So Nick Young is a perfect example of a Pure Scorer?

pretty much yeah. I see Melo as a pure scorer too, but he still manages to rebound very well for a SF. Being a pure scorer isn't particularly that great of a thing
Edit: Let me clarify...being a pure scorer isn't that great of a thing, in the sense that I would prefer a playmaking guard who coudl also score over just a scorer. But if the scorer is efficient and high volume like Melo, its a great assest to have obviously.
Newbballfan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Newbballfan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:37 am

Who?
The Fax
Senior
And1: 33

Post#11 » by The Fax » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:39 am

dlts20 wrote:My only one complaint is that he's not getting to the line more. IDK how much of that is him and how much of it is the system. He's a great athelete with good quickness, leaping ability, handles, and has the J, so there should be nothing to stop him from getting to the line alot. I kinda blame some on Flip because when he doesnt catch & shoot, Flip acts like he gets upset. If NY starts handling the ball then Flip gets upset. I also think they should use him in the post more. His post moves are probably top 3 at the SG spot along with Kobe & Wade

Glad to see someone else recognizing Nicks post game. That 12-15 foot post up fade-away has become a thing of beauty for Nick. We definitely need to feed him in the post more and just let him do work.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager

Post#12 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:42 am

HeyJoe wrote:
wafer88 wrote:

he's shooting 46% w/ 41% from 3. a lot of other scorers in this league does a lot worse and nothing else. he's got a john wall and he's supposed to be the finisher so you don't expect him to have any assists. he grabs like 2-3 boards a game, which isn't that bad for a tiny guard. what else do you want from him? steals? since he's gotten minutes, he's actually avging 1 a game, which is also adequate. he's exactly what a shooting guard should be.

Well i said for my team. Being a Laker fan, I see no situation where we get Nick Young, give him alot of minutes, and we become better. He wouldn't play good in the triangle at all. Obviously a good scorer on good efficiency is a valuable asset to have. But I dissagree with him being exactly what a shooting guard should be. Like i said in a previous post, If a player is averagign 20 points a game, they should be getting atleast 3-4 assists.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#13 » by Jase » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:50 am

DemarcusCousins wrote:Calmdown kid. It was the kings who have the worst record.

That, and SOMEONE has to get buckets for the Wizards. Blatche and McGee are still very young and inconsistent, and Wall has been injury prone this season. Who else is there?
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#14 » by TheOGJabroni » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:04 am

Jase wrote:
DemarcusCousins wrote:Calmdown kid. It was the kings who have the worst record.

That, and SOMEONE has to get buckets for the Wizards. Blatche and McGee are still very young and inconsistent, and Wall has been injury prone this season. Who else is there?

Rashard Lewis, Al Thornton? Not to sound like an ass but give credit where credit is due. 43 is no easy feat regardless of the opposing team.
Sinant
Head Coach
And1: 140

Post#15 » by Sinant » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:07 am

He reminds me of JR Smith.
Hops
Senior
And1: 36

Post#16 » by Hops » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:33 am

Sinant wrote:He reminds me of JR Smith.

I think that's the best comparison. Good scorers with good dunking abilities and being a little goofy here and there (although they may have matured a bit...or not). Both players should replace the 2 other dunk contestants in the contest.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#17 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:51 am

ppl constantly over look his defense. nick young is a VERY good perimeter defender.

also this is interesting
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdapGCx71w[/youtube]
AmareNY
Banned User
And1: 167

Post#18 » by AmareNY » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 am

Add him to your fantasy team if you can.
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#19 » by andyo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 am

Sinant wrote:He reminds me of JR Smith.

I agree with this, he's a Jamal Crawford/JR Smith/Jason Terry type player
ComeAtMeBro
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#20 » by ComeAtMeBro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:14 am

Dude's an absolute chucker. Once it's in his hands, that's **** not coming back to you, better get back on D or try to steal an O rebounder.

Pretty nice spot up shooter, good mid-range jumpers, but nothing fancy. Needs to stop always looking to "get his own" and focus on team basketball. Another player working for a contract here and immature mind on a team that has one too many as is.

And no, by no means, is he anywhere near the athlete of a JR smith or anywhere as talented. JR's just far stupider and dumber than Nick. Nick just is much, much more selfish. He's not that dumb anymore, just immature and selfish.

JR's a freak athlete that 95% of the league cannot match up, and a top tier talent that's just covered up by stupidity, lack of motivation, immaturity, lack of a work ethic, etc. Give JR Smith a strong-heart, a strong driven mind and you got a top tier player in the NBA. If anything, Nick's teammate, Andray Blatche, is the PF version of Smith. If someone would instill discipline and basic core ethics to being great in Blatche or JR, then you get two players that are getting by on talent alone into legitimate superstars.
Irony
Step 1: Hate the Lakers
Step 2: Watch LeBron go to Miami
Step 3: Call Heat fans, "bandwagoners"
Step 4: Root for Lakers, Hate the Heat
Step 5: Refused to be classified as Laker "bandwagoner" since Heat formed.

Return to The General Board