Winners in high school, college

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

kd35sneighbor
RealGM
And1: 86

Winners in high school, college 

Post#1 » by kd35sneighbor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:33 am

Is it very common for these guys to be successful in the NBA? And I'm not just talking about any college or high school player that were winners, guys that were the leaders of their team and led their team to the national championships. Jordan did this. Wade, I think, won the NCAA. Durant came close, Tim Duncan as well? (Btw how was Duncan hyped to be #1 pick in the draft? What wow'ed NBA teams about him? I'm sure it wasn't his athleticism) Melo also won in college. LeBron won the nationals for his high school.

To find the next certain great one, won't we know it if a player is a winner before he came to the NBA?
Runnin' these Oklahoma streets. Follow me on Twitter @kd35sneighbor!
PanicBeats
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Winners in high school, college 

Post#2 » by PanicBeats » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:34 am

What has Lebron won as a pro?
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#3 » by ROballer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:35 am

PanicBeats wrote:What has Lebron won as a pro?

Exactly.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
kd35sneighbor
RealGM

Post#4 » by kd35sneighbor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:37 am

What I'm saying is... guys who led their teams to championships in high school, college most likely will succeed in the NBA. I think Deron Williams also won?
ShelB
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#5 » by ShelB » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 am

kd35sneighbor wrote: (Btw how was Duncan hyped to be #1 pick in the draft? What wow'ed NBA teams about him? I'm sure it wasn't his athleticism)

This cannot be a serious question.
dan_atko97
Lead Assistant
And1: 287

Post#6 » by dan_atko97 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:39 am

TYLER HANSBROUGH AND TY LAWSON!
The Fax
Senior
And1: 33

Post#7 » by The Fax » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:39 am

Is this guy really the kid from the commercials
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#8 » by darth_federer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:40 am

kd35sneighbor wrote:Is it very common for these guys to be successful in the NBA? And I'm not just talking about any college or high school player that were winners, guys that were the leaders of their team and led their team to the national championships. Jordan did this. Wade, I think, won the NCAA. Durant came close, Tim Duncan as well? (Btw how was Duncan hyped to be #1 pick in the draft? What wow'ed NBA teams about him? I'm sure it wasn't his athleticism) Melo also won in college. LeBron won the nationals for his high school.

To find the next certain great one, won't we know it if a player is a winner before he came to the NBA?

Wade never won an NCCA title. Duncan had great skills. He stayed in college for 4 years but its Tim freaking Duncan. Not that hard to see that he is a great player.

Juan DIxon and Steve Blake led Maryland to an NCAA championship but they ve had ok NBA careers. A lot of NBA players were great in high school and college so I dont think theres a strong correlation.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
kd35sneighbor
RealGM

Post#9 » by kd35sneighbor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:42 am

How was he seen as a great player? What were his stats in college? Didn't Wade reach the NCAA finals?
PanicBeats
Banned User

Post#10 » by PanicBeats » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:42 am

Didn't ya boy Julian Wright win a title lol
Blackmun
Banned User

Post#11 » by Blackmun » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:44 am

ShelB wrote:
kd35sneighbor wrote: (Btw how was Duncan hyped to be #1 pick in the draft? What wow'ed NBA teams about him? I'm sure it wasn't his athleticism)

This cannot be a serious question.

Sadly, it can :)
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#12 » by KF10 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:44 am

Mike Bibby lead his HS to multiple titles and was THE MAN in Arizona when his team won the NCAA championship. But is Bibby great? Nope. But to be fair, he really deserved a ring for his efforts in the early 2000s with the Kings though.

For your question, I don's think that's a great indicator (or correlation) to assume that players are going to be successful if they are successful in both HS & college level.
kd35sneighbor
RealGM

Post#13 » by kd35sneighbor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:45 am

Maybe the ratio is 50/50 for those who become champs in the NBA and those who don't do much at all with this theory?
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#14 » by RamonSessions7 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:46 am

Durant got bounced in the 2nd round in college
kd35sneighbor
RealGM

Post#15 » by kd35sneighbor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:46 am

I would love to see a list of great players in high school and NCAA who led their teams to their championships...
ShelB
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#16 » by ShelB » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:48 am

kd35sneighbor wrote:How was he seen as a great player? What were his stats in college? Didn't Wade reach the NCAA finals?

You know teams don't consider athleticism as the number one factor in drafting players? How about because it was Tim **** Duncan? Have you seen him play? He's pretty good, right? NBA scouts don't just play Pin the Tail on the Donkey with prospects, they know what to look for in a player and EVERYONE saw Duncan's skill and potential. He doesn't jump out of the gym but NBA players proved a long time ago you don't have to do that to be a legendary player.
Pass the ball
Banned User

Post#17 » by Pass the ball » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:54 am

kd35sneighbor wrote:Is it very common for these guys to be successful in the NBA? And I'm not just talking about any college or high school player that were winners, guys that were the leaders of their team and led their team to the national championships. Jordan did this. Wade, I think, won the NCAA. Durant came close, Tim Duncan as well? (Btw how was Duncan hyped to be #1 pick in the draft? What wow'ed NBA teams about him? I'm sure it wasn't his athleticism) Melo also won in college. LeBron won the nationals for his high school.

Derrick Rose

Nah he didn't, he did lead his team to the Final Four though...

The draft scouts put a LOT of stock on national tournament success... How else can you explain guys that came out of nowhere (Russell Westbrook, Al Horford for example) to work their way up to a top 5 pick? Same goes for Jeff Green... It seems like they're right though. The guys that lead their team far in the NCAA tournament usually become good to great players like the above mentioned.
dream_catcher_9
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#18 » by dream_catcher_9 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:09 am

Ill just name some of the top players in the NBA today....

Dwight Howard - Won a State Title his senior year in HS, no college.......
LeBron James - Won 3 State Titles(Freshman, Sophomore, Senior), no college.......
Dwyane Wade - No State Titles, Advanced to the NCAA Final Four but lost......
Kobe Bryant - Won a State Title, no college......
Derrick Rose - Won 2 State Titles, Advanced to the NCAA Championship game but lost......
Deron Williams - No State Titles, Advaced to the NCAA Championship game but lost.....
Kevin Durant - Won a National Championship as the best HS team in the Country his junior year, Lost in the 2nd round of NCAA Tournament.
justinandimcool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,097

Post#19 » by justinandimcool » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:23 am

Notable NBA players coming out of the last few decade and a half or so of championship game rosters:

1996: Derek Anderson, Antoine Walker, Walter McCarty, Tony Delk, Ron Mercer, John Wallace
1997: Mike Bibby, Jason Terry, Jamaal Magloire, (Mercer)
1998: Nazr Mohammed, Scott Padgett, Mike Doleac, Andre Miller, (Magloire)
1999: Richard Hamilton, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette
2000: Mo Peterson, Charlie Bell, Jason Richardson, Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, Matt Bonner
2001: Shane Battier, Mike Dunleavy, Carlos Boozer, Chris Duhon, Richard Jefferson, Luke Walton, Gilbert Arenas,
2002: Chris Wilcox, Steve Blake
2003: Carmelo Anthony, Hakim Warrick, Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, Drew Gooden
2004: Will Bynum, Jarrett Jack, Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva, Hilton Armstrong
2005: Ray Felton, Rashad McCants, Marvin Williams, Sean May, Deron Williams, Luther Head
2006: Corey Brewer, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Jordan Farmar, Arron Afflalo, Ryan Hollins, LR Mbah A Moute, Darren Collison
2007: Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Daequeon Cook, Marreese Speights, (Brewer/Horford/Noah)
2008: Brandon Rush, Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur, Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Joey Dorsey
2009: Ty Lawson, Ty Hansbrough, Wayne Ellington, Ed Davis
2010: Gordon Hayward

The bold went on to play in the NBA finals. Then again, most of them went on to be high draft picks, aka on crappy teams, which could explain why they don't win in the NBA. But college success simply doesn't mean NBA success.
kd35sneighbor
RealGM

Post#20 » by kd35sneighbor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:43 am

How about high school? justinandimcool

Return to The General Board