Kevin Love's double-double streak

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

mayorhoiberg
Sophomore
And1: 0

Kevin Love's double-double streak 

Post#1 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Is quite impressive, no? He's got 28 straight, which is tops in the league.
Check out this list, this is anyone with a streak of 19 or more since 1986:

SEASON(S) // PLAYER // STREAK
2006 // Kevin Garnett // 37
2011 // Kevin Love // 28
2011 // Blake Griffin // 27
1987 // Charles Barkley // 26
1991 // Hakeem Olajuwon // 26
2009 // David Lee // 24
1991 // Charles Barkley // 23
1991 // Kevin Willis // 21
2010 // Dwight Howard // 20
1987 // Michael Cage // 19
1991 // Kevin Willis // 19

I don't want this to turn into a KG/Kevin Love comparison thread, since that would obviously belong on the player comparison board, but it looks like it could be possible for Love to break the T'Wolves record/25 year-long NBA record of 37 straight double-doubles.

Do you think Love will do it?
ballchat
Ballboy

Re: Kevin Love's double-double streak 

Post#2 » by ballchat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:59 pm

What is more impressive? The rookie Blake Griffin one game behind him while scoring more efficiently and his team winning half of their games during the stretch.
http://www.ballchat.podbean.com
Rated by the players as the best basketball podcast on the web

1/20/11 Ep. 16 - Melo'd Out - Melo trade, Griffin an allstar, and Lil Wayne hatin
ballchat
Ballboy

Post#3 » by ballchat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:01 pm

But yes I think Love and Griff both get past 40

1/20/11 Ep. 16 - Melo'd Out - Melo trade, Griffin an allstar, and Lil Wayne hatin
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#4 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:02 pm

ballchat wrote:What is more impressive? The rookie Blake Griffin one game behind him while scoring more efficiently and his team winning half of their games during the stretch.

If you'd like to compare the two streaks, I'd suggest starting a thread in the player comparison board.

This thread is about Kevin Love, and I'm sure any attempt to talk about Blake Griffin will result in the thread being locked by a mod.

**If any mod besides magnumt reads this, please unlock my other thread. It was unnecessarily locked and magnumt will not be reasoned with via PM. The thread was about BG/KL's double double streaks, not a comparison between the two, nor a discussion of the game tonight. There is no reason to stop discussion on a legit thread that follows all the rules. Thanks.
clipfantastic
Banned User

Post#5 » by clipfantastic » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:03 pm

ballchat wrote:What is more impressive? The rookie Blake Griffin one game behind him while scoring more efficiently and his team winning half of their games during the stretch.

Clippers and Wolves play tonight. Maybe one of those records gets broken.

Congratulations to both players though - considering the prior streak leaders, that is some fine company to be in.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#6 » by MitchellUK » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Didn't an almost identical thread just get locked?

Either way, very, very impressive on both players parts.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#7 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:08 pm

MitchellUK wrote:Didn't an almost identical thread just get locked?

Either way, very, very impressive on both players parts.

Yes, locked unnecessarily. The mod claimed it was a player comparison (it wasn't) and it was about the game tonight (it wasn't). My thread was a discussion about both player's impressive double-double streaks, which is a completely legitimate topic to discuss on the GB.

It's fine that he locked it, but I sent a polite PM asking him to unlock it, and he won't be reasoned with.

This thread is ok, though, apparently because there is no mention of the game tonight, or Blake Griffin's streak.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm just glad the coaching staff and entire Minnesota organization has come to their senses. Kevin Love is finally a starter, he's deserved to start before the season started, and he's proven many of the Minny fans on this site wrong. His double-double streak is impressive, but Blake Griffin is righit behind him, so it's going to be interesting to see which streak ends first.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#9 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:12 pm

HMFFL wrote:I'm just glad the coaching staff and entire Minnesota organization has come to their senses. Kevin Love is finally a starter, he's deserved to start before the season started, and he's proven many of the Minny fans on this site wrong. His double-double streak is impressive, but Blake Griffin is righit behind him, so it's going to be interesting to see which streak ends first.

Yes... It was infuriating when Rambis refused to give Love legit minutes early this year.
moximus
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by moximus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 pm

KLove will probably leave TWolves come 2012. Going to the Thunders to join his Bruins buddy Russ West.
ballchat
Ballboy

Post#11 » by ballchat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:30 pm

The real question becomes, is Love the type of player that translates into wins? I have no worries about Griffin because he actually plays defense, passes well, and shoots efficiently. Love however seems to get a good majority of his boards by not contesting shots and immediately getting in position for the board. I think he's got a lot of ZBo in him where Griffin is Duncan like.

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#12 » by Foye » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:54 pm

ballchat wrote:But yes I think Love and Griff both get past 40

I think one of both streaks will end tonight.

moximus wrote:KLove will probably leave TWolves come 2012. Going to the Thunders to join his Bruins buddy Russ West.

I won't guarantee that he stays in Minnesota but I guarantee you that he won't suit up for the Oklahoma City Thunder. Love likes glamour and OKC doesn't offer that. He'll go to a big market team or stay.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#13 » by Gus McCrae » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Look at his gamelog with rebounds, it's seriously amazing

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/439 ... Xydv7QPaB4
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#14 » by Foye » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 pm

ballchat wrote:The real question becomes, is Love the type of player that translates into wins? I have no worries about Griffin because he actually plays defense, passes well, and shoots efficiently. Love however seems to get a good majority of his boards by not contesting shots and immediately getting in position for the board. I think he's got a lot of ZBo in him where Griffin is Duncan like.

Well, I haven't seen many Clippers games but in those games I watched Griffin looked as bad as Love on defense. I'll further investigate today.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#15 » by magnumt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 pm

^The thing is, if I had a Player like Love or Griffin I wouldn't care about Defense or force them to change their Game and become what they're not.

It'd be much easier IMO to just get a Big Man who just plays Defense (like Wallace or Birdman) and pair them with the aforementioned Players.

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#16 » by magnumt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 pm

^The thing is, if I had a Player like Love or Griffin I wouldn't care about Defense or force them to change their Game and become what they're not.

It'd be much easier IMO to just get a Big Man who just plays Defense (like Wallace or Birdman) and pair them with the aforementioned Players.

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#17 » by MaxRider » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:08 pm

SoCAL24 wrote:Look at his gamelog with rebounds, it's seriously amazing

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/439 ... Xydv7QPaB4

crazy rebounding number since Rodman
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#18 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:13 pm

*resisting the urge to turn this into a KL/BG comparison*

I'll just say Go K Luv! and leave it at that.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#19 » by Piecake » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 pm

ballchat wrote:The real question becomes, is Love the type of player that translates into wins? I have no worries about Griffin because he actually plays defense, passes well, and shoots efficiently. Love however seems to get a good majority of his boards by not contesting shots and immediately getting in position for the board. I think he's got a lot of ZBo in him where Griffin is Duncan like.

Duncan like? Are you serious? Griffin's defense is mediocre at best. As for efficiency, Love has a higher TS% than Griffin, but a lower eFG%, so yes, he is a less efficient shooter, but a more efficient scorer. As for passing, I really have no problems with Love in that regard.

As for the double double streak, its definitely in reach. Who knows if it will be topped though
Atmanne
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#20 » by Atmanne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Griffin's defense has improved. There are times when he's suspect, but recently I've seen him muscle some talented forwards into sub-par games. We'll see what happens tonight.

On topic: it's impressive. I'd like to see his team get some Ws though.

Return to The General Board