Who got the better deal? Knicks vs Nets

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who go the better deal? Knicks or Nets

Nets
81%
Knicks
19%

Total votes: 204

Senor Chang
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,216

Re: Who got the better deal? Knicks vs Nets 

Post#81 » by Senor Chang » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Shaheen wrote:Question:

Why didn't the Knicks just trade for Deron Williams and keep a lot of their role players?

Utah was waiting to see what happened with the Melodrama before they made their decision. Had Melo been traded to the Nets, im sure the Knicks would have called up Utah to see if they can work out a deal.
wayoftheroad wrote:We’re getting bodied by Moochie Norris lmao
Rockice_8
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#82 » by Rockice_8 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Knickz4life88 wrote:Most of the ppl that say the Nets are either Net fans,Chicago fans, or knicks fan that fell in love with Gallinari..No surprise here..From one of the headlines it looks like Deron Williams is already unhappy about that trade..We know he said he wanted to play for NY but i dont think he meant for the Brooklyn Nets :lol: Anyways im perfectly satisfied with having Carmelo..You know a player that actually wants to play for your team lol

I'm sorry I must be missing the quote from Deron that says he doesn't want to play for the Nets. Wow only Nets and Bulls fans huh says the Knicks fan backing the Knicks trade shocking.

How about this you have no cap room, no bench, and can't trade a pick until 2016.

Compare that to

Multiple picks and $16 mil in cap space.
Nastradamus
Sophomore

Post#83 » by Nastradamus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Why didn't the Knicks just trade for Deron Williams and keep a lot of their role players?

You're forgetting that NY not only got Melo, but Billups too, who is an upgrade at the PG position over Felton. What NY gave up in reality was only Gallo and Mozgov, because NY wouldnt have been able to resign Wilson anyway, if Carmelo was to sign with NY as a free agent upcoming summer.
DanoMac wrote:
Flynt Flossy wrote:Is that his penis next to his shorts on his left leg? If so...dayummm

yes, that's his penis. he just tucked it inside the flesh on his leg during the game.
Shaheen
Banned User

Post#84 » by Shaheen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Ron Harper wrote:Knicks for sure. They at least get to keep the player they traded for.

WOW so you're not acting like its a foregone conclusion by saying "Knicks get to keep their player?"

Typical.
Shaheen
Banned User

Post#85 » by Shaheen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Nastradamus wrote:

You're forgetting that NY not only got Melo, but Billups too, who is an upgrade at the PG position over Felton. What NY gave up in reality was only Gallo and Mozgov, because NY wouldnt have been able to resign Wilson anyway, if Carmelo was to sign with NY as a free agent upcoming summer.

Comon Billups is a better player than Felton but he's done. I give him 2 or 3 more years. Felton clearly has more value as a young pg who only gets better.

The Knicks could have just traded Felton, Chandler, and 2 picks. Then they could have kept Gallo and Mozgov.
Nastradamus
Sophomore

Post#86 » by Nastradamus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Shaheen wrote:
Nastradamus wrote:

Comon Billups is a better player than Felton but he's done. I give him 2 or 3 more years. Felton clearly has more value as a young pg who only gets better.

The Knicks could have just traded Felton, Chandler, and 2 picks. Then they could have kept Gallo and Mozgov.

NY doesn't need Chauncey for more than 2-3 years anyway.. And like I said, Chandler wouldn't have been resigned anyway, and he alone was never enough for Denver. It is what it is, like i said, both deals are good for now, but since there's a possibility that the Nets dont even get to keep DWill for long term, I think the Knicks' deal is slightly better in the long run.. Having 2 superstars guaranteed long term to add, if not another star, then at least some fitting role players and quality starters
DanoMac wrote:
Flynt Flossy wrote:Is that his penis next to his shorts on his left leg? If so...dayummm

yes, that's his penis. he just tucked it inside the flesh on his leg during the game.
Shaheen
Banned User

Post#87 » by Shaheen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Nastradamus wrote:NY doesn't need Chauncey for more than 2-3 years anyway.. And like I said, Chandler wouldn't have been resigned anyway, and he alone was never enough for Denver. It is what it is, like i said, both deals are good for now, but since there's a possibility that the Nets dont even get to keep DWill for long term, I think the Knicks' deal is slightly better in the long run.. Having 2 superstars guaranteed long term to add, if not another star, then at least some fitting role players and quality starters

Naw I think the Knicks can contend for a lot longer than 2 or 3 years and Felton clearly would have worked better.

But I see your point. Obviously, the Knicks are in the better position right now but I think if you compare the two deals the Nets have the edge.

I think NY would have been better off taking Williams than Melo.
litex
Veteran
And1: 425

Post#88 » by litex » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Deron is leaving via free agency.

To go...where?

The Knicks, Lakers and Orlando won't have the space. You really think Sterling and the LA Clips are that much more attractive than Prokhorov and the Brooklyn Nets?

If the Nets offer him the max to be the face of a franchise playing in New York, Deron will take it. He's not gonna take a paycut, which is what it would take to play for a more "glamorous" franchise.
Nastradamus
Sophomore

Post#89 » by Nastradamus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Shaheen wrote:
Nastradamus wrote:NY doesn't need Chauncey for more than 2-3 years anyway.. And like I said, Chandler wouldn't have been resigned anyway, and he alone was never enough for Denver. It is what it is, like i said, both deals are good for now, but since there's a possibility that the Nets dont even get to keep DWill for long term, I think the Knicks' deal is slightly better in the long run.. Having 2 superstars guaranteed long term to add, if not another star, then at least some fitting role players and quality starters

Naw I think the Knicks can contend for a lot longer than 2 or 3 years and Felton clearly would have worked better.

But I see your point. Obviously, the Knicks are in the better position right now but I think if you compare the two deals the Nets have the edge.

I think NY would have been better off taking Williams than Melo.

I meant that Felton was signed only til 2012 as well, in the hopes for CP3. If that fails, they better have some other PGs on the radar tho.
DanoMac wrote:

Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#90 » by Luigi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm surprised Kirilenko wasn't included. Proky wants him.

I'm not sure, but couldn't the Nets have resigned AK and exceed the cap if they got him now?
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
bruddahmanmatt
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#91 » by bruddahmanmatt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Well, the Knicks gave up a lot of depth and some fairly solid fringe talent, but they got exactly what they wanted and came out with the best player in the trade as well as a solid veteran PG in Billups. The Nets traded away a solid PG and prospect who's ceiling is still a bit unknown for a player who currently doesn't want to be there and there's the possibility that he may walk or force his way out over the next year and a half. I'd say the Knicks won mainly because they acquired a sure thing in a player who wants to be there whereas the Nets have a lot of work to do in terms of convincing Deron to stay.
DLTGWH
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#92 » by DLTGWH » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:37 pm

83% of people think an unsigned Deron Williams is better for the Nets than a signed Melo AND Billups.

:lol:

A week ago, all of the knicks young players were overrated scrubs. :roll:
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#93 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 pm

If the Knicks get Deron, there is no 3rd star because they would've taken themselves out of the Melo sweepstakes. By getting Melo now, they are still in position to land Paul (or maybe even Deron, who knows).

Paul/Melo/A'mare > Deron/A'mare
Faberg
Junior
And1: 6

Post#94 » by Faberg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 pm

The Nets if Deron signs the extension of course, otherwise the Knicks won in the long run.
ELCIDz
Banned User

Post#95 » by ELCIDz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Nets IF D Will signs. If not then its obviously NY. So its still TBD.
markdeez33
RealGM
And1: 2,192

Post#96 » by markdeez33 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 pm

nets IF deron signs an extension

until then, knicks
supaSPED
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#97 » by supaSPED » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 pm

Brooklyn718 wrote:
LHead2 wrote:Nets, definitely. They're still stuck with some bad contracts (Travis Outlaw comes to mind), but they got a better and more complete cornerstone player while giving up comparable talent, and without completely gutting their team of depth.

They are crap..WHat depth could they have given up??

wow defensive lol. favors is sh*t and harris is half the pg dwill is. new york gave up 3 of there 5 best players, including their second AND 3rd best player. they completely gutted the advantage that they had from their depth. the only good players that are left behind were landry and amare. nets win, big time
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#98 » by Luigi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:

If the Knicks get Deron, there is no 3rd star because they would've taken themselves out of the Melo sweepstakes. By getting Melo now, they are still in position to land Paul (or maybe even Deron, who knows).

Paul/Melo/A'mare > Deron/A'mare

Actually, it might be easier to get Melo in the offseason with Williams and Stoudemire already there. However, I don't think Utah wanted what NY was offering.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Faberg
Junior
And1: 6

Post#99 » by Faberg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 pm

DavidLeeTheGreatWhiteHope wrote:83% of people think an unsigned Deron Williams is better for the Nets than a signed Melo AND Billups.

:lol:

A week ago, all of the knicks young players were overrated scrubs. :roll:

:lol: Exactly.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#100 » by hype_2004 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Definitely the nets as they did not have to gut their entire roster to obtain 1 player, they got a perennnial all-star(Deron Williams) for potential in Derrick Favors and marginal starter in Devin Harris. I would even imply that the Nets had the steal of the trade in acquiring Deron Williams, he would most defikntley make that team more competitive and a whole lot better from the get go.

Return to The General Board