LOS LAKERS, LOS SPURS, LOS WTF

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Biohazard
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: LOS LAKERS, LOS SPURS, LOS WTF 

Post#21 » by Biohazard » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:44 pm

I like the idea because it is a big middle finger to the Tea Party fruits and other bigots.
9abovetherim
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#22 » by 9abovetherim » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:45 pm

Derick22333 wrote:Have you los your mind?

i lol'd :lol:
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,485

Post#23 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:45 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:I think the NBA Latino Heritage campaign is a good idea. From a business perspective it makes sense because Latinos are the largest growing part of the population. From a political perspective I like it as a push-back against the nativists. El Heat, Los Bulls will help sell jerseys and makes relative sense because neither team name is Spanish in origin.

But it doesn't make sense for the Spurs or Lakers to become the Los Spurs or Los Lakers. Instead their jerseys should just read San Antonio or Los Angeles. Nothing pushes back more against the reactionary elements by showing that two of America largest cities were founded by Latinos. After all Anglos wouldn't call Saint Anthony San Antonio or City of Angels Los Angeles.

I don't really understand your thinking. The point of the jersey is to make people notice that the NBA is embracing their Spanish-speaking fans. Putting a "Los" on the jersey does that. Having a team where their normal jersey doesn't. What am I missing?
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
TiMVP
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#24 » by TiMVP » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm in San Antonio and it IS Mexico. Seriously I've been in 5 houses in the last 4 years, and everywhere at least one neighbor plays tejano music at all hours of the day. It's worse now because this is where we staying, and my window is right next to the tejano music players window -_- it sucks. And our English teacher speaks spanish and sometimes talks to the class in Spanish like when telling a story, and me and like 5 other kids are lost in all that. But I still rarely see Los Spurs jerseys
spurs are gonna win in 07 quote me on it....
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#25 » by Speedlot » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:48 pm

MagentaTurban wrote:It makes sense for Los Heat, since half of Cuba's population lives there.

It makes sense for San Antonio, since Mexico is a bordering state.

It makes sense for the Lakers, since ____________

Got me.

Talk about ignorance.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#26 » by Speedlot » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:50 pm

TiMVP wrote:I'm in San Antonio and it IS Mexico. Seriously I've been in 5 houses in the last 4 years, and everywhere at least one neighbor plays tejano music at all hours of the day. It's worse now because this is where we staying, and my window is right next to the tejano music players window -_- it sucks. And our English teacher speaks spanish and sometimes talks to the class in Spanish like when telling a story, and me and like 5 other kids are lost in all that. But I still rarely see Los Spurs jerseys

And how do you know what Mexico is like?
TiMVP
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by TiMVP » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:51 pm

Speedlot wrote:
TiMVP wrote:I'm in San Antonio and it IS Mexico. Seriously I've been in 5 houses in the last 4 years, and everywhere at least one neighbor plays tejano music at all hours of the day. It's worse now because this is where we staying, and my window is right next to the tejano music players window -_- it sucks. And our English teacher speaks spanish and sometimes talks to the class in Spanish like when telling a story, and me and like 5 other kids are lost in all that. But I still rarely see Los Spurs jerseys

I went there once when I was like 6, breh. Not the bad bang bang cocaine part, a nicer part
Gongxi
Banned User
And1: 27

Post#28 » by Gongxi » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:53 pm

Cancun isn't really Mexico.
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#29 » by Sn0wman » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:54 pm

El LOL @ this thread
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,485

Post#30 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:54 pm

MagentaTurban wrote:It makes sense for Los Heat, since half of Cuba's population lives there.

Got me.

Others have said it already, but dude, you really need to read up on American cities before you join a conversation and say things like this.

Here's a good starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... os_Angeles

Notice 48.5% of the city is "Hispanic or Latino"? If we split Los Angeles into 2 separate cities with all Hispanic/Latino people being in one city, and everyone else in the other, we'd have 2 of the 5 biggest cities in the country...which means the Hispanic Los Angeles is way, way WAY bigger than all of Miami and San Antonio putting together.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,448

Post#31 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:54 pm

TiMVP wrote:
Speedlot wrote:

I went there once when I was like 6, breh. Not the bad bang bang cocaine part, a nicer part

Like a resort?
Gongxi
Banned User
And1: 27

Post#32 » by Gongxi » Sun Mar 6, 2011 7:57 pm

I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise when I was like 15 and we stopped at a resort in Haiti. I wouldn't say I've actually visited Haiti, though.
harold lewis
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#33 » by harold lewis » Sun Mar 6, 2011 8:01 pm

Texas has always been under the purview of Mexico.

Read up on the 1845 war.

Additionally, the Germans were offering to help Mexico regain Texas and other territories as recently as 1917.

You can always relocate to Oregon.
PredX
Ballboy

Post#34 » by PredX » Sun Mar 6, 2011 8:12 pm

Biohazard wrote:I like the idea because it is a big middle finger to the Tea Party fruits and other bigots.

Right. You're a bigot if you don't worship foreigners or if you care about the national sovereignty of our country.
TiMVP
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by TiMVP » Sun Mar 6, 2011 8:14 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:
TiMVP wrote:
Speedlot wrote:And how do you know what Mexico is like?

Like a resort?

Nah it was in an RV.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#36 » by That Nicka » Sun Mar 6, 2011 8:33 pm

This thread delivers
MrCheerios
Analyst
And1: 887

Post#37 » by MrCheerios » Sun Mar 6, 2011 8:45 pm

Does anyone in the Hispanic community actually buy these things? If I were buying an Italian soccer jersey, for instance, I wouldn't want the team names translated to English. That's just pandering.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#38 » by Flash3 » Sun Mar 6, 2011 8:45 pm

I would want the original/authentic one.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#39 » by Wavy Q » Sun Mar 6, 2011 8:48 pm

Got me.

Los Angeles' latin american population is massive...
94feet
Freshman

Post#40 » by 94feet » Sun Mar 6, 2011 9:09 pm

It's March, where is St Pattys jerseys? (Some teamswear ones on St Patrick's day) Seeing O'Lakers and green jerseys and Heat Lads would be a sight.

Return to The General Board