Compare yourself to an nba player

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,857

Re: Compare yourself to an nba player 

Post#81 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:37 pm

Beebeard wrote:Bill Laimbeer. I ended up growing no bigger than an NBA shooting guard, but like many people, I was forced to play center in high school and even a bit in college. Used to play with and against a number of former NBA players at the high school and collegiate levels, many of whom clocked in at 6'8" tall at 14 years old, for example, and were still growing, and who were twice the physical specimens I was.

I'm telling you all this so you won't rush to judgment. You see, when you're asked to guard a monster of a man who can dunk right over you after a catch, you're forced to use whatever physical tools you have to stop them. In my case, it involved grabbing jerseys, deliberately stepping on feet so opposing players couldn't grab rebounds, and elbowing the living crap out of people.

After I lost a lot of my own athleticism to injuries, it only made me even dirtier. In fact, as a younger guy in inner city Houston, I once had a knife pulled on me in a park game after blocking a guy's shot with one hand while pulling him down with my off arm. Nothing came of it, but it's a great example of how little tolerance most people have for physical play.

To this day, you'd probably want to wear a mouth guard if you played a pickup game with me, as my elbows will be drawn to your teeth as through some mystical force.

Dude, there's a difference between physical play and just being plain dirty.
Shkodran_Plako
Starter
And1: 395

Post#82 » by Shkodran_Plako » Tue Apr 5, 2011 4:05 pm

Demar Derozan, I have a developing shot. I can drive to the basket. I can dunk better than B.Griff, and I can play defense whenever I feel like it.
Jeff23
Lead Assistant
And1: 245

Post#83 » by Jeff23 » Tue Apr 5, 2011 4:15 pm

Chris Paul.

I always lacked height, got abused by faster point-guards and i even flopped like a Bosh. 8-)

Michigan-State alumni here :cheesygrin:
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,007

Post#84 » by Rockazoids » Tue Apr 5, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm a 5'9 PG that has to post up in the paint because I can't hit sh*t outside the key. :(
I can take it to the rack going left. Could dunk about 10 yrs ago.(need a 3 ft step ladder now)
Still can D up with the best of them & can hit about 75% from the FT line. :)
all in all I suck. :wink:
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,805

Post#85 » by meatball sub » Tue Apr 5, 2011 4:47 pm

A.C. Green :oops:
daboys
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#86 » by daboys » Tue Apr 5, 2011 5:19 pm

i suck so bad...
tangent12
Banned User

Post#87 » by tangent12 » Tue Apr 5, 2011 5:22 pm

Judo Krugar
Sophomore

Post#88 » by Judo Krugar » Tue Apr 5, 2011 5:37 pm

Wilt, go ask your mother.
toddlincoln
Junior
And1: 68

Post#89 » by toddlincoln » Tue Apr 5, 2011 5:46 pm

wizards era Kwame Brown
WadeFan15
Banned User

Post#90 » by WadeFan15 » Tue Apr 5, 2011 5:47 pm

A 5'11 C who can't rebound or jumpshot.
Shorty Doo-Wop
Senior
And1: 14

Post#91 » by Shorty Doo-Wop » Tue Apr 5, 2011 5:51 pm

kinda play like landry fields do a bunch of little things and a decent rebounder and do not score a lot
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,080

Post#92 » by MrBigShot » Tue Apr 5, 2011 6:11 pm

Manu Ginobili, Tayshaun Prince and a bit of Kobe.

I'm an above average but streaky shooter like Manu, but very good at maneuvering in the lane and in the air. I use the euro step a lot(without thinking about it).

I palm the ball a lot like Tayshaun and I got his length(proportion wise) so I can hold my own on D. Finally, Kobe because I take a lot of off balance shots and hit ridiculous shots when I'm on fire.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
lilojmayo
Veteran
And1: 356

Post#93 » by lilojmayo » Tue Apr 5, 2011 6:14 pm

OJ Mayo , Michael Jordan , Allen Iverson.
Beebeard
Banned User

Post#94 » by Beebeard » Tue Apr 5, 2011 6:17 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Beebeard wrote:Bill Laimbeer. I ended up growing no bigger than an NBA shooting guard, but like many people, I was forced to play center in high school and even a bit in college. Used to play with and against a number of former NBA players at the high school and collegiate levels, many of whom clocked in at 6'8" tall at 14 years old, for example, and were still growing, and who were twice the physical specimens I was.

I'm telling you all this so you won't rush to judgment. You see, when you're asked to guard a monster of a man who can dunk right over you after a catch, you're forced to use whatever physical tools you have to stop them. In my case, it involved grabbing jerseys, deliberately stepping on feet so opposing players couldn't grab rebounds, and elbowing the living crap out of people.

After I lost a lot of my own athleticism to injuries, it only made me even dirtier. In fact, as a younger guy in inner city Houston, I once had a knife pulled on me in a park game after blocking a guy's shot with one hand while pulling him down with my off arm. Nothing came of it, but it's a great example of how little tolerance most people have for physical play.

To this day, you'd probably want to wear a mouth guard if you played a pickup game with me, as my elbows will be drawn to your teeth as through some mystical force.

Dude, there's a difference between physical play and just being plain dirty.

If you think that distinction exists, and especially that it exists in the minds of Bill Laimbeer or Rick Mahorn, then you've missed the point. And you probably also weren't at your athletic peak in the early 90s, when basketball at every level was a much more physical sport anyway. So let's just cut to the chase here: You really have no frame of reference.

Also, you should put that thing in milk. A dentist can replace or cap that for you if you hurry. Dude, here's a number for a good one that I always keep with me when I play, dude. :lol:

No, I didn't just high five that guy and laugh as you walked away from the court. It's your imagination. Uh, it's a black thing, you wouldn't understand.

Put it in milk. Hurry.
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#95 » by a_sensei » Tue Apr 5, 2011 6:46 pm

I am kind of the (unathletic/slow) version of Travis Outlaw on my rec-league team. I can create my own shot and shoot from outside, but I'm inconsistant and if my shot is not falling there is not much I do that helps my team. When my shot is on I am an effective second, third or fourth option on offense. I am not quick enough to be a good perminiter defender nor strong or athletic enough to be a good interior defender.
fleet40
Junior
And1: 40

Post#96 » by fleet40 » Tue Apr 5, 2011 7:14 pm

I am without a doubt a 5'11" Bill Laimbeer - (And not because of dirty play)

Its because I have the skill sets Laimbeer had without the height. I do not fancy dribble, I have to box out to get rebounds against faster taller guys, I set picks like crazy. And I knock down open shots, and only have a hook shot as a shot inside. I play smart on offense and defense, and I have a knack for coming through in the clutch in leagues and pickup games. (And I am a white dude with short black hair)

So if Laimbeer would have been 5'11" he would have played like I do.
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#97 » by Darain » Tue Apr 5, 2011 7:15 pm

OJ Mayo

My nickname is IB Mustard
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
phd1969
Starter
And1: 25

Post#98 » by phd1969 » Tue Apr 5, 2011 7:18 pm

It's hard to pinpoint, I'm sort of many NBA players combine. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Body - Ben Wallace
Athleticism - Lebron
Skills - Kobe
Vision - Nash
Defense - Ron Artest
Rebounding - Rodman
Shooting - Ray Allen
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#99 » by Darain » Tue Apr 5, 2011 7:24 pm

Kyle Korver

Just sit in the corner and shoots three's
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
jondiebler
Banned User

Post#100 » by jondiebler » Tue Apr 5, 2011 7:27 pm

i'm like chris bosh. i'm pretty much the greatest thing ever, but people don't appreciate me

Return to The General Board