Dirk's 1 legged fade= modern day skyhook?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Tension
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Dirk's 1 legged fade= modern day skyhook? 

Post#1 » by Tension » Wed May 18, 2011 3:04 am

That reached my mind a couple days ago, but with what hes doing right now. I haven't seen such a
unique, effective, and dominating shot/move that probably will never be mimicked again.

(don't take the thread topic literally, you know what I mean by that)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Re: Dirk's 1 legged fade= modern day skyhook? 

Post#2 » by dockingsched » Wed May 18, 2011 3:17 am

that's what was being talked about today on local sports radio, the local hosts mason and ireland were asking his former coach avery johnson about it.

i think its as close as it gets in today's nba.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#3 » by Point-God » Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 am

It's one of the great moves. Ranks right up there with the Jordan's turnaround fadeaway he made popular along with Iverson's crossover. The move isn't that great unless the NBA sees fit to make it illegal. Many of Wilt's moves were made illegal which has shaped the rules of the modern game like not leaving the free throw line until the ball hits the rim.
Tension
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Post#4 » by Tension » Wed May 18, 2011 3:28 am

I was more referring it to a scoring shot and the fact that no one else can emulate it. Jordan's turnaround you can kinda say Kobe took it.
sk231
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by sk231 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:32 am

Kobe's fadeaway isn't nearly as effective as Jordan's. It would be Jordan in the post EVERY play.
RayAllen
Bench Warmer
And1: 20

Post#6 » by RayAllen » Wed May 18, 2011 5:34 am

It's been a while since we seen such an unstoppable move.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,483

Post#7 » by Doctor MJ » Wed May 18, 2011 7:44 am

Some perspective:

Dirk can literally get that shot all day long.

If he was truly good with it, i.e. efficient, then Dallas would use him at hyper volume.

That they don't tells you just what you'd expect: That even though Dirk's the best mid-range shooter in the game, if you play him on defense well enough that he has to take that 1 legged fade, on average, you win.

Kareem scored at higher volume and efficiency at his peak despite the fact that it was not nearly as easy to get him the ball, and this is part of why his skyhook was said to be unstoppable. It was a drastically more reliable weapon than Dirk's 1 legger.

With that said, somewhat in Dirk's defense here: The fact that it wasn't easy to get Kareem the ball where he could do his thing (and the fact that this is true about every other big man in history even more so than Kareem) is a serious negative that people don't talk enough about. It truly is debatable whether you'd rather have a perimeter scorer putting up Dirk numbers or an interior scorer putting up Kareem numbers.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#8 » by Egg Nog » Wed May 18, 2011 7:46 am

Doctor MJ wrote:Some perspective:

Dirk can literally get that shot all day long.

If he was truly good with it, i.e. efficient, then Dallas would use him at hyper volume.

That they don't tells you just what you'd expect: That even though Dirk's the best mid-range shooter in the game, if you play him on defense well enough that he has to take that 1 legged fade, on average, you win.

Kareem scored at higher volume and efficiency at his peak despite the fact that it was not nearly as easy to get him the ball, and this is part of why his skyhook was said to be unstoppable. It was a drastically more reliable weapon than Dirk's 1 legger.

With that said, somewhat in Dirk's defense here: The fact that it wasn't easy to get Kareem the ball where he could do his thing (and the fact that this is true about every other big man in history even more so than Kareem) is a serious negative that people don't talk enough about. It truly is debatable whether you'd rather have a perimeter scorer putting up Dirk numbers or an interior scorer putting up Kareem numbers.

After predictably seeing "Kobe vs. Jordan" in the first few posts, this is awesome.

It's posts like these that prevent many of us from giving up on RealGM altogether. Cheers for the insight.

Return to The General Board