did miami even attempt to speak to dirk this summer?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

johnwall
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: did miami even attempt to speak to dirk this summer? 

Post#21 » by johnwall » Wed May 18, 2011 4:36 am

Heat3 wrote:1. He wasn't leaving Dallas
2. He's too old. Yes he's good today, but it's not a good investment 5-6 years down the line he'll be retiring, Bosh will be young enough to resign.
3. Reports were that he agreed pretty early to terms with Dallas anyway (even before Miami got commitments from Wade/Bosh). He gave Dallas a home town discount.
4. He wasn't leaving Dallas.

u dont know what your talking about at all, to say he is too old, dirk will be better in 5 yrs then bosh will ever be, and bosh wont see through his entire deal with miami anyway, no reports ever stated dirk agreed to terms early, dirk actually took time away without speaking to dallas at all when fa started, and to say he wasnt leaving dallas is garbage, he wasnt going to ny or one of those scrub teams to rebuild, but dirk stated had wade and lebron called he would have listened
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#22 » by Mykhyn » Wed May 18, 2011 4:59 am

There was an interview with Dirk when he was asked about Miami. He said he would have had to consider it but they never contacted him. He said his # 1 goal was a championship
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#23 » by mysticbb » Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 am

Cklbmk wrote:There was an interview with Dirk when he was asked about Miami. He said he would have had to consider it but they never contacted him. He said his # 1 goal was a championship

Correct. He said that, if there would have been an "unbelievable situation to play with James or Wade", he would have considered it. Nowitzki also said that "there was no super option" and " if James or Wade would have asked him, if he would come to Miami, he would have thought about it".

http://crossover-online.de/NBA/Dirk-Now ... _8867.html

Aber auf jeden Fall hätte es schon eine unglaubliche Situation sein müssen, zum Beispiel mit LeBron irgendwohin zu gehen oder mit Wade eben in Miami zu spielen.

Es hat sich keine andere Superoption ergeben ...

Wenn jetzt zum Beispiel Wade und LeBron mich gefragt hätten: ‚Ey, pass mal auf, kommst du nach Miami?‘ Das wäre eine Situation gewesen, da hätte ich scharf überlegen müssen.

It is in german, but I translated the basic meaning of those words.
Motivated-Baron
Senior
And1: 1

Post#24 » by Motivated-Baron » Wed May 18, 2011 5:16 am

lolol@ "Dirk wouldnt do that!!!"
johnwall
Banned User

Post#25 » by johnwall » Wed May 18, 2011 5:18 am

im just trying to figure out why bosh?
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#26 » by mysticbb » Wed May 18, 2011 5:21 am

johnwall wrote:im just trying to figure out why bosh?

Pretty easy: age and friendship. If you can have Chris Bosh while getting James and Wade to agree to a lower amount of salary, why bother with Dirk Nowitzki? Sure, Nowitzki would have been an awesome fit in Miami too, but it is not like Chris Bosh sucks. People are underrating Bosh like crazy, the guy is still one of the best power forwards in the game.
LameR
Senior
And1: 236

Post#27 » by LameR » Wed May 18, 2011 5:44 am

I was hoping for a Wade-Dirk combo with another wing not named LeBron (Johnson at the time).
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#28 » by edfmx86 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:46 am

I hope Dirk gets rewarded for staying with Dallas by winning it all this year.
8 Mile Ilic
Banned User

Post#29 » by 8 Mile Ilic » Wed May 18, 2011 6:00 am

It wasn't in their plans that they made years ago...
JayCarroll
Sophomore

Post#30 » by JayCarroll » Wed May 18, 2011 6:17 am

johnwall wrote:im just trying to figure out why bosh?

Because Bosh was ok with being the third wheel, as opposed to Amare who wanted to be in a big market and be the # 1 guy too. Dallas never even gave Dirk an opportunity to think about going elsewhere, as soon a free agency opened Cuban was begging Dirk to come back. And Boozer wasn't seen as being as good of a complimentary piece as Bosh.

Dirk wasn't leaving Dallas unless Cuban didn't offer him a (decent) contract, period.
juror1
Banned User

Post#31 » by juror1 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:30 am

Rand10 wrote:Have you seen Dirk dance? He wouldn't have fit in at their championship celebration.

And Bosh with his tricep flex fit in?
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,216

Post#32 » by Heat3 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:34 am

johnwall wrote:
Heat3 wrote:1. He wasn't leaving Dallas
2. He's too old. Yes he's good today, but it's not a good investment 5-6 years down the line he'll be retiring, Bosh will be young enough to resign.
3. Reports were that he agreed pretty early to terms with Dallas anyway (even before Miami got commitments from Wade/Bosh). He gave Dallas a home town discount.
4. He wasn't leaving Dallas.

u dont know what your talking about at all, to say he is too old, dirk will be better in 5 yrs then bosh will ever be, and bosh wont see through his entire deal with miami anyway, no reports ever stated dirk agreed to terms early, dirk actually took time away without speaking to dallas at all when fa started, and to say he wasnt leaving dallas is garbage, he wasnt going to ny or one of those scrub teams to rebuild, but dirk stated had wade and lebron called he would have listened

One, I know exactly what I'm talking about. There is a good chance that Dirk will be 33 years old before this season is done! You want him in 5 years? I bet you thought Shaq was going to be useful to the Celtics this post season too? Or a guy like Allen Iverson deserved a shot to be built around once more time? :lol: I'm using simple logic. Old athletes aren't as good as young athletes. Period. NBA players are human beings, not super heroes that defy laws of nature (unless they juice up). But hey, if you have a magic fanboy crystal ball that tells you your hero will do what can't be done, then who am I to argue with someone that knows the future like you?

Two, Marc Stein reported on July 5th that Dirk reached an agreement with Dallas for $80M. He wasn't officially signed until July 20th. Every site I could find lists these or similar terms as his actual contract. Hmm...either that is a report of what happened early in free agency ( a whole 2 days before Wade/Bosh publicly committed to Miami) or Marc Stein borrowed your crystal ball and saw 15 days into the future. It's possible...

7/5 - http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/ne ... id=5352960
7/20 - http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/ne ... id=5393536

Third, saying he "would have listened". This is not the same as "would have joined". Someone that gives a hometown discount to his current team isn't the type of guy that is seriously considering leaving. Look at Wade, he did the samething yet it didn't stop him from talking to NY, CHI, NJ and I think even DAL ;)

Finally, I'm as old as Dirk and Kobe. I can tell you from experience that 32 is not the same as 26 :lol: I don't expect things to get better in the 5 years either. I'm sure Dirk will have no problem being in better shape than me in 5 years but no way in hell will he be good enough to be worth the salary he'll be getting in the NBA.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

TennesseeFan
Freshman

Post#33 » by TennesseeFan » Wed May 18, 2011 6:36 am

jayks1 wrote:
Rand10 wrote:Have you seen Dirk dance? He wouldn't have fit in at their championship celebration.

And Bosh with his tricep flex fit in?

sefant77
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#34 » by sefant77 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:43 am

Dirk is with 32 on MVP level and one of the most durable players in the league. I can easily see at least two absolute elite years, maybe even three.

And sorry, but Wade-James-Dirk and they win this year for sure and pretty sure at least another one.
kerplunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#35 » by kerplunk » Wed May 18, 2011 7:43 am

8 Mile Ilic wrote:It wasn't in their plans that they made years ago...
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#36 » by kombayn » Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 am

dabadestalbo69 wrote:Dirk wasnt leaving Dallas in the first place

Actually, Dirk in an interview over the season was asked if he was approached about joining Miami and he said, "No." On top of that interview he said he would have really thought hard about it. IMO, Miami just wanted the those 3 because they wanted to play with each other, they had probably been talking about it since the Olympics. I'm sure LeBron and D-Wade are pissed they didn't ask Dirk because that team would have been lethal.
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#37 » by J-Rich- » Wed May 18, 2011 9:15 am

How the **** can Miami talk to Dirk this summer when this summer is a couple months away
3LiftHeatCurse
Banned User

Post#38 » by 3LiftHeatCurse » Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 am

1. Dirk said he was never asked.
2. Dirk said if he was asked, he would have seriously considered going to Miami.
3. LeBron and Wade didn't ask because they were friends with Bosh on the Olympic team. That's where this all started. Dirk was off playing for Germany?

4. I am 100% positive, if Wade and LeBron could re-do this, they would have asked Dirk instead. Dirk-LeBron-Wade would have meant the first 4-peat in NBA history. Bosh is still a good fit, though.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,451

Post#39 » by KrazyP » Wed May 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Dirk isn't a big (insert derogatory remark here) like the super friends. He was committed and loyal to his team despite not having another superstar to play with. He is a true franchise player in that he can and wants to win on his own instead of taking the easy route.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#40 » by Dupp » Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 pm

ManualRam wrote:too much substance, not enough style.

:lol:

Return to The General Board