Why do so many fans side with the owners?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Why do so many fans side with the owners?

Fans side with the owners because they believe the owners demands will lead to greater competitive balance.
40%
Fans side with the owners due to political political philosophy. Many fans are right wing and always side with management in labor disputes regardless of the industry.
3%
Fans side with the owners because of resentment. Players "get paid millions to play a kids game."
27%
Fans side with the owners because they believe ticket/merchandise prices are impacted by players salaries.
3%
Fans side with owners partly because of unconscious biases. A majority of athletes are minorities and a majority of sports fans are white.
8%
Combination of the above reasons
18%

Total votes: 244

renvitros
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Why do so many fans side with the owners? 

Post#441 » by renvitros » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:58 pm

I don't like where the NBA is currently heading. I don't want fake dynasties. I want more competitive teams.
Pacerlive
Rookie
And1: 148

Post#442 » by Pacerlive » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:01 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:Second, a regression of a team’s winning percentage on payroll deviation from the league median, while controlling for tax regime and team-fixed effects, shows that a positive relationship between a team’s payroll and performance exists.

Good. Teams win games because they have better players. Better players should be paid more than worse players. In the aggregate this means better teams should have a higher payroll than worse teams.

Put a hard cap on it like the NFL and take away the advantage or disadvantage of having a higher or lower payroll. Problem solved. I would even be fine with revenue sharing as long as it had a hard cap as well.
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#443 » by mysticbb » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Pacerlive wrote:OF couorse I know it was a written by an undergraduate but it still beats out your lackadaisical approach to statistical analysis and complete inability to take multiple factors into consideration when making a your point.

So, you don't have a clue what he is doing, but you are sure that I'm wrong about it. Nice.

Pacerlive wrote:Name the bargain contract on the Mavs? Is it a 38 year old Jason Kidd at 8.6 mill per year. Jason Terry at 10 mill. Chandler at 12.

Well, Nowitzki signed for less than the maximum, that would be the first. Additional to that is Jason Kidd indeed a bargain contract, the same goes for Shawn Marion. But I doubt you even care about an evaluation of performance and deserved salary based upon the latest CBA.
The Mavericks played better with a healthy Nowitzki than the model of the undergraduated predicted based on their payroll, thus according to the model you prefer the Mavericks have a couple of bargain contracts. ;)

Pacerlive wrote:Again how are the owners fine with this. They broke the deal and lockout the players. The owners don't ant competitve balance? Well I am glad you speak for all owners because I seriously missed that point. IT depends on what owners your talking about genius.. I am sure smaller market teams would want more competitve balance.

Are you really inable to understand that some of the owners are not fine with the system, because they are losing money? The lack of competitive balance is not the primary problem for them. It would also be absurd, because the lack of competitive balance is caused by the nature of the game, not per se by different payrolls. Do you understand that point? Do you understand that a team with LeBron James will always have a better position to build a team around than a team which has to use Danny Granger for that?

Pacerlive wrote:Put a hard cap on it like the NFL and take away the advantage or disadvantage of having a higher or lower payroll. Problem solved. I would even be fine with revenue sharing as long as it had a hard cap as well.

The hard cap doesn't help at all in the NBA. It works in the NFL, because the impact of an individual player is lower AND the amount of games are helping to create more upsets. If you want to have more competitive balance in the NBA reduce the amount of games in the regular season to 16 and have the playoffs not played out in a 7 game series. Please, try to understand the game of basketball first before you try to find solutions for more competitive balance.

Return to The General Board