Nate Robinson to try for NFL

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Re: Nate Robinson to try for NFL 

Post#61 » by RutgersBJJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

Blame Rasho wrote:
RutgersBJJ wrote:People realize he wasn't that good in college, right? He wasn't considered a draftable prospect. It also wasn't like he played at a powerhouse school, he played for a team that was real bad while he was in college and only was good right before he was in college. He has zero chance to make it to the NFL, I really can't believe how many people honestly think he could play in the NFL. Find me one starting corner in the league who is 5'8. Find me more than 3 players who are 5'8 that actually stick on an NFL roster at corner. Doesn't matter how tall you are or how high you can jump when you get easily out-positioned by a 6'2 WR. There are no corners in the NFL that are as short as him. Every once and awhile a 5'8 corner comes into the league and they wash out very quickly. Also wouldn't even make it through training camp without sustaining an injury. He would hurt himself in the first week of contact drills during TC.

It is interesting you mention short guys not making it... while same can be said of big guys..

The average defensive back came within a hair of 6-foot. Most ran their 40s in the 4.3-second range.

"In a 10-year study he did of cornerbacks, he noticed that the taller cornerbacks usually don't make it," Titans general manager Floyd Reese said. "How many 6-2 cornerbacks are there in the league?"

Currently, the NFL has only four starting cornerbacks who are 6-2: Gary Baxter of the Browns, Julian Battle of the Chiefs, Andre Woolfolk of the Titans and Mike Rumph of the 49ers, who played a little safety in the past two seasons. There are no 6-3 corners starting in the league.

"The optimum height is about 5-11," Reese said. "Many of the taller cornerbacks tend to get hurt."

Bigger cornerbacks tend to be more physical, which leads to more injuries. Bigger cornerbacks don't fear contact. That leaves them as targets sometimes.

Tall corners are just WR's who can't catch. I just don't see how Robinson makes it to the NFL. He's 28, he still is in his basketball prime but he is no where near the athlete he once was. He would just get abused. Look at how bad Pacman got just from being away from the game for a year and he is taller than Robinson. There are only two positions in the NFL that NBA players could easily transition to and that is TE and DE. The players who seem to succeed there are always the undersized PFs in the 6'5 to 6'7 range.

He also gets banged up and injured a lot playing basketball, I think he would get hurt way too easily to ever make a team out of training camp. If the NFL wasn't in a lockout I doubt he would even get a TC invite because teams would have already seen him fail at rookie minicamps.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#62 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:57 am

Any basketball player could be a decent tight end. Because of size. Nate Robinson career will be over if he got hit by a really big fella.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,666

Post#63 » by ChuckChilly » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:16 am

whatever happened to ronald curry?

Return to The General Board