Better Career So Far, Kobe or Shaq??

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who has had a better career to this point, Kobe or Shaq?

Kobe
38%
Shaq
62%

Total votes: 160

basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Re: Better Career So Far, Kobe or Shaq?? 

Post#241 » by basketball royalty » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Shaq was simply the most dominant player in the L for a good 4-5 years and should have one more MVPs than just the one. I say Shaq.
props to Turbozone for the sig
jaypo
Lead Assistant
And1: 436

Post#242 » by jaypo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks, Silverballer.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,551

Post#243 » by adjacent2bench » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:07 pm

ThreeYearPlan wrote:Kobe Bryant has won more, done more with less talent than Shaq and has been a better player since 2002.

Less talent? How so? Gasol, Odom and Bynum are "less talent?"

When Kobe had nothing but scrubs on his team he either missed the playoffs or missed the 2nd round.
jaypo
Lead Assistant

Post#244 » by jaypo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:36 pm

adjacent2bench wrote:
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Kobe Bryant has won more, done more with less talent than Shaq and has been a better player since 2002.

Less talent? How so? Gasol, Odom and Bynum are "less talent?"

When Kobe had nothing but scrubs on his team he either missed the playoffs or missed the 2nd round.

It's statements like that one that makes me crazy. Remember in 07? Wade was hurt, Riley let all the shooters and defenders walk in FA, Zo was out, Walker was out, even Haslem was hurt. And Shaq was playing on a bad knee with Chris Quinn and Rickie Davis. He couldn't lead that team to wins even though he literally busted his ass (and injured it) trying. And the media (and Riley and Wade) crucified him for making big money and not being able to carry that team. Yet, Kobe misses the playoffs with an inferior team, and it becomes "scrubs around Kobe". Double standard!

Facts are facts- when they had great players and/or coaching around them, they won. No coincidence. When they didn't, they didn't win! Plain and simple. That's pretty much the formula for all those in the top 10.
choppermagic
Starter
And1: 846

Post#245 » by choppermagic » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Great arguments on both sides, which is a testament to how great each player is/was.

For me, if i had to choose a career i'd rather have, assuming both of them retired today, I'd choose Kobe. The numbers are similar now, but when you look back on your career, Kobe's looks more desireable.

Shaq may have been the most dominant for a few years, but i think the shuffling of teams, bad mouthing of old teammates, hanging on at the end, are things the stats dont capture. Kobe is generally regarded as a stone cold killer, a closer, a die hard competitor, and a very important factor, a 5 time champion with ONE team for life, and a marquee team on top of all that. When they are both long retired, Kobe's reputation and legacy will be more attractive to me. One Team - Laker for Life - 5 rings - killer - closer.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 790

Post#246 » by Ito » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Kobe won more, and he can still win more.. but Shaq at his peak was way more dominant than Kobe on his prime.. When you talk about Shaq you talking about the best center ever, when you talk about Kobe you talking about a top 3 SG ever.. Shaq was just a monster and we probably wont ever see another player like him with his size and skills.. and Shaq made a bigger impact on the game overall kobe is not that far behind but I still go with Shaq
Basketology
Senior
And1: 5

Post#247 » by Basketology » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Just combine them (Shaq's body with Kobe's brain/work ethic) and you have without a doubt the GOAT.
Vincent 666
Lead Assistant
And1: 44

Post#248 » by Vincent 666 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Shaqs supporting casts in the early 2000s were better than what Kobe won with in 09.
AJ15
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#249 » by AJ15 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:46 pm

Basketology wrote:Just combine them (Shaq's body with Kobe's brain/work ethic) and you have without a doubt the GOAT.

lol
jaypo
Lead Assistant

Post#250 » by jaypo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Vincent 666 wrote:Shaqs supporting casts in the early 2000s were better than what Kobe won with in 09.

Not relative to the rest of the league. In 2009, Kobe had around him the consensus best supporting cast. In 2000, the Lakers weren't even viewed as the best team in their division. And in 2009, the Lakers weren't exactly having to get thru teams like the 2000 Blazers, 2002 Kings, or prime Duncan's Spurs. Hell, they almost lost to the Rockets without their best 2 players and backup center!

If you were comparing apples to apples, you'd have to be saying that Shaq had the best supporting cast in the league in 2000. And he clearly did not. He had Kobe and servicible role players that year, but far from the best overall cast. He never had someone of Odom's caliber AS A 6th MAN!

Now, head to head, I think the 2000 Lakers blow the 2009 Lakers out of the water, so using that argument, I guess you're right. But if the 2009 Lakers had to go thru the teams the 2000 Lakers had to go thru, I don't think they'd get out of the 1st round.
JerkyWay
Junior
And1: 0

Post#251 » by JerkyWay » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Kobe's brain? :o No, thanks. More often than not, he'd be in trouble. Work ethic - definitely yes. Shaq + good work ethic = at least top 3 ever, you can take it to the bank.
Did you hear that Karl Malone and John Stockton initiated new music genre? Nah, it's not Jazz. It's Pick & Roll.
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#252 » by RoyalWun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum (or 3/4 of him) woukd like a word with you.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.

Return to The General Board