More Strategy Involved in Basketball or Baseball?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Re: More Strategy Involved in Basketball or Baseball? 

Post#61 » by magicman1978 » Fri Oct 7, 2011 9:31 pm

As someone who played both sports in college - basketball was more strategic for me as a player. However, from coaching/managing standpoint - I see baseball being more strategic.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#62 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Oct 8, 2011 9:41 pm

ninjabelly wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
ShabazzMuhammad wrote:well upper echelon teams like Philadelphia , NY, Boston are usually good, year after year, so that is a sign that their strategic efforts have been effective. While lower echelon teams like Houston or Toronto have been bad to mediocre almost every for the last decade so ...

Couldn't that be a result of consistently having more skilled players?
I meant great strategy during the course of a season that leads to a great record. I feel that if you really are a great team, than you should be able to win more than 60 percent of your games. It's just not common in baseball. A team that wins 60 percent of their games in the NBA is usually like the 10th best team...

one reason is because mlb season is longer is a bigger sample size so bad teams seem worse and those mid teams kinda even out

I doubt that there is a big difference at the halfway point of the MLB season. Maybe 2-3 teams above .650 or below .350. Still far different from the NBA where there are usually at least 10 teams above .650 or below .350.
arsenfan
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#63 » by arsenfan » Sun Oct 9, 2011 1:03 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:The slow pace of baseball makes it seem more strategic because every decision can be seen by the signals and the decisions going into each play. Basketball is more tactical. The overall strategies in basketball are not complicated. The tactics are enormous. And pretty much the dozens of decisions being made by each player on each possession is mind-boggling.

Basketball is much more mental than baseball, but it is also more physical so the mental decisions behind the sport aren't recognised. Even the most disorganised seeming teams are making high-level tactical decisions in less than 24 seconds at a clip.

i would buy that if i had never played either of these sports before
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#64 » by The Explorer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Baseball is so strategic, that players go and drink beer and eat fried chicken before and during games, while their teammates are out on the field trying to win for them. Marvelous strategy.
ninjabelly
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#65 » by ninjabelly » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:17 am

charity stripe wrote:Baseball is so strategic, that players go and drink beer and eat fried chicken before and during games, while their teammates are out on the field trying to win for them. Marvelous strategy.

which is why that team made the playoffs, rite?

Return to The General Board