Why did the Sixers trade Charles Barkley to the Suns in '92

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Re: Why did the Sixers trade Charles Barkley to the Suns in 

Post#21 » by Speedlot » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:48 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:
At least what Charles did was blunt, honest, and allowed his team its choice of packages.

How in the world is leaving as a free agent dishonest? I feel dumber reading this board sometimes.

Yeah because that's all Lebron did. Leave his team as a free agent.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,251

Post#22 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:34 am

JF5 wrote:For how much you're criticizing LeBron, at least he didn't force his way out like Barkley did. He Shut his mouth and played out his contract until he was a free-agent.

Plus you guys realize the suns were literally one big man away from being a contending team. They were already a solid team, but with Barkley that put them to contending status.

If Lebron had demanded a trade, Cleveland could have gotten much more value for him.

What LeBaby did to Cleveland was far far worse than what Sir Charles did to Philly.
Go NY Go NY Go
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:37 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:
At least what Charles did was blunt, honest, and allowed his team its choice of packages.

How in the world is leaving as a free agent dishonest? I feel dumber reading this board sometimes.

Not necessarily dishonest, but if LeBron had let Cleveland know he was probably leaving, they could have gotten much more in return for him. What he did devastated a franchise. Philly was already bad when Charles asked to be traded. It wasn't the same.

Cleveland has every right to Hate Lebron, he broke their hearts and sent the team on a downward spiral after they spent tens of millions trying to build around him.
Go NY Go NY Go
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 am

Getting back to the OP.

The most similar modern trade was probably KG.

KG was a star, a bit older than Barkely at the time of his trade I think, but still very very good. Mini was going nowhere and he asked for a trade to a contender.

Charles basically did the same, though as I recall, he threw a few more insults at his old team's management upon making his request, but Charles, like KG wanted to win and he asked for a trade, and Philly really didn't look like they were going to build a winner around him.

Why they got so little back is a bit of a puzzle. It was a time when vets were overvalued I think and when they landed 3 vets, one of them with a pretty outside shot and close to 20 PPM - maybe Philly actually thought the package was pretty good. But everyone knew Phoenix won the trade in a landslide, cept possibly for Philly management.
Go NY Go NY Go
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,532

Post#25 » by ropjhk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:13 pm

JF5 wrote:For how much you're criticizing LeBron, at least he didn't force his way out like Barkley did. He Shut his mouth and played out his contract until he was a free-agent.

Plus you guys realize the suns were literally one big man away from being a contending team. They were already a solid team, but with Barkley that put them to contending status.

Lebron was on a team that contended for the championship. Barkley had almost no chance of winning in Philly. I would liken Barkley's situation to that of Bosh. However Bosh didn't make clear going into his final season that he was going to leave if the team didn't see success (though this was expected).
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#26 » by SDM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:39 pm

It was bad timing too. The good players on the Sixers were old or injured. They really had nothing except Barkley and almost all of it was due to age/luck.
guy1
Sixth Man
And1: 117

Post#27 » by guy1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:07 pm

trepacallypse wrote:He really really wanted to come to Portland.

Where did you hear that?
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#28 » by WhateverBro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Getting back to the OP.

KG was a star, a bit older than Barkely at the time of his trade I think, but still very very good. Mini was going nowhere and he asked for a trade to a contender.

Charles basically did the same, though as I recall, he threw a few more insults at his old team's management upon making his request, but Charles, like KG wanted to win and he asked for a trade, and Philly really didn't look like they were going to build a winner around him.

Why they got so little back is a bit of a puzzle. It was a time when vets were overvalued I think and when they landed 3 vets, one of them with a pretty outside shot and close to 20 PPM - maybe Philly actually thought the package was pretty good. But everyone knew Phoenix won the trade in a landslide, cept possibly for Philly management.

Garnett didn't ask for a trade though..He just OK'ed a trade proposal.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#29 » by JordansBulls » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Vindicater wrote:Philly was a very bad franchise in those days... Barkley was right to want out.

I don't see how they were a bad franchise when they pretty much had stars on the team thru the 80's for the whole decade.

My biggest issue is how the hell did they not make the playoffs in 1992 when most of there starters were there for the entire season.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 950

Post#30 » by Tony Franciosa » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Warspite wrote:1. Traded his mentor Moses Malone for Jeff Ruland who played 7 games and retired
2. Traded the #1 pick in the draft for a 15ppg SF
3. traded Mo Cheeks for Johny Dawkins
4. Replaced Andrew Toney and DrJ with Hersey Hawkins

The 76ers were on a roll. Why not trade Charles for crap? They already did that with Moses, Mo Cheeks and the #1 pick in the draft.

Still breaks my heart seeing this chain of events played out in writing again.
Den Masters
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#31 » by Den Masters » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Warspite wrote:1. Traded his mentor Moses Malone for Jeff Ruland who played 7 games and retired

The 76ers were on a roll. Why not trade Charles for crap? They already did that with Moses, Mo Cheeks and the #1 pick in the draft.

horrible trades wow :-?

btw, who was the #1 pick in that year's draft? don't tell me it's shaq?
JordansBulls
RealGM

Post#32 » by JordansBulls » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Den Masters wrote:

horrible trades wow :-?

btw, who was the #1 pick in that year's draft? don't tell me it's shaq?

Not sure if this is what he means.

June 28, 1988: Charles Smith Drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers in the 1st round (3rd pick) of the 1988 NBA Draft.

June 28, 1988: Charles Smith Traded by the Philadelphia 76ers to the Los Angeles Clippers for Hersey Hawkins and a 1989 1st round draft pick (Kenny Payne).
- Michael Jordan
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#33 » by Warspite » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Brad Daugherty was the #1 pick.

76ers also traded the #3 pick the next yr
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#34 » by 83SixersRocked » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Trading the #1, Mose, and Barkley were the worst trades in 6ers history.

I thought I posted this this morning but apparently not; Charles & management weren't very cozy. He attempted to spit on an opposing player and instead spit on a little girl in the stands. That was pretty much the last straw.
JordansBulls
RealGM

Post#35 » by JordansBulls » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Warspite wrote:Brad Daugherty was the #1 pick.

You're right.

June 16, 1986: Traded by the Philadelphia 76ers (as a 1986 1st round draft pick) to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Roy Hinson.

Damn how the hell could they have all of that.
- Michael Jordan
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:33 pm

WhateverBro wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:Getting back to the OP.

Garnett didn't ask for a trade though..He just OK'ed a trade proposal.

I'm pretty sure he asked for a trade. That's how I remember it anyway.

and when Boston gave up too much, KG vetoed it cause he wanted to join a good team, so he got Mini less than they could have gotten, and there was a bit of buddy-buddy stuff going on with the McHale-Boston connection.

Lets not pretend that KG was a saint in that situation.
Go NY Go NY Go
Den Masters
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#37 » by Den Masters » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Warspite wrote:Brad Daugherty was the #1 pick.

holy crap, okay now that's terrible management.

who was the #3 pick that next year after brad daugherty?
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,328

Post#38 » by Mk0 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:05 pm

83SixersRocked wrote:Trading the #1, Mose, and Barkley were the worst trades in 6ers history.

I thought I posted this this morning but apparently not; Charles & management weren't very cozy. He attempted to spit on an opposing player and instead spit on a little girl in the stands. That was pretty much the last straw.

If I remember correctly that was what turned the fans on him and I assume why the trade looks so lopsided.

To summarize: He spat on the girl, the fans turned on him and then that summer he is traded for Horny+2 vets. He joins the dream team and becomes their leading scorer, which ups his popularity and he has an almost completely clean slate in Phoenix.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I remembered it.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
hourockman
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#39 » by hourockman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:26 am

That girl deserved it. She was young and impetuous.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#40 » by Moonbeam » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:58 am

Toney and Dr. J both retired before Hersey Hawkins came on board, though. And he wasn't exactly a slouch.

Return to The General Board