Matt Barnes: "Dwight told me he wants to be a Laker."

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

airball3
Senior
And1: 3

Re: Matt Barnes: "Dwight told me he wants to be a Laker." 

Post#41 » by airball3 » Sat Dec 3, 2011 4:58 am

I really feel bad for Magic fans. To have this trade rumor looming over your head until the day Dwight gets traded, leaves or actually resign; it really sucks the life out of the fun of watching your team play basketball.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#42 » by iamworthy » Sat Dec 3, 2011 4:58 am

cb1115 wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
Mitch Kupchak:

"We believe in this group," Kupchak said in his first interview with The Times since the league lifted its media blackout on team personnel. "Prior to the lockout there was a month or two where you could make trades, and obviously we didn't do anything. We like the group.

"There's a couple of holes … so we have to fill in and shore up our depth chart a little bit. [Coach] Mike [Brown] made some comments before the lockout that he thought this team could win [a championship], and we feel the same."

Otis Smith said the EXACT same thing last December. Then we traded for Arenas and Turk.

Well hell if he traded for them, truly he would trade for Bynum and Odom :rofl:
WestSideChamp
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#43 » by WestSideChamp » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:01 am

You have to admit, Dwight Howard would look pretty in purple and gold!
cb1115
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#44 » by cb1115 » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:01 am

iamworthy wrote:
cb1115 wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
Mitch Kupchak:

"We believe in this group," Kupchak said in his first interview with The Times since the league lifted its media blackout on team personnel. "Prior to the lockout there was a month or two where you could make trades, and obviously we didn't do anything. We like the group.

"There's a couple of holes … so we have to fill in and shore up our depth chart a little bit. [Coach] Mike [Brown] made some comments before the lockout that he thought this team could win [a championship], and we feel the same."

Otis Smith said the EXACT same thing last December. Then we traded for Arenas and Turk.

Well hell if he traded for them, truly he would trade for Bynum and Odom :rofl:

Touché.
Angry Jimmy
Analyst
And1: 444

Post#45 » by Angry Jimmy » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:02 am

Actually, what one of these teams needs to do is just let the player walk for nothing. If they do that, then Howard will be forced to either

A) Sign for the MLE in Los Angeles
B) Take as much money as he can get from a different team that has cap space while he's a FA
or
C) Resign with his original team for the most money he can make.

If you force a superstar to leave $100 million on the table it will make all the other superstars in the league think twice about trying to dictate where teams trade them to.
rayofsunshine
Sixth Man
And1: 460

Post#46 » by rayofsunshine » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:03 am

He's not worth bynum and odom!!!!

We didn't get that good of a deal for shaq!
initiald
Banned User

Post#47 » by initiald » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:03 am

airball3 wrote:I really feel bad for Magic fans. To have this trade rumor looming over your head until the day Dwight gets traded, leaves or actually resign; it really sucks the life out of the fun of watching your team play basketball.

What about Lakers fan when during Kobe's trade fiasco? Deal with it. This is a business. If a player doesn't want to play for your team, you have to trade him and get something in return. Now the tricky part rationally, the Lakers is their best option. However emotionally, they have something against us for whatever reason I have no clue. Perhaps Shaq memory brought it back. But they seem to forget Shaq leave them. It has nothing to do with the Lakers. We didn't trade for Shaq. So in that situation, it was Orlando being stupid. Other than that, the last time we trade with Orlando is Ariza deal. Also Bynum is 2nd best center in this league when healthy, bar none, and with a very team favorable contract. Young, huge upside. You can't get better than that.
ShabazzMuhammad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#48 » by ShabazzMuhammad » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:04 am

Is the number 34 retired for LA ?
eureca20
Junior
And1: 81

Post#49 » by eureca20 » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:04 am

SubyWill wrote:
cb1115 wrote:Here's the thing though: the Lakers don't have much leverage. If they offer us a crappy package, we can just say no and walk away.

Then the Lakers will have to sign him in free agency...which they can't. So the Lakers package has to be gold, which it won't be...so :lol: at Lakers fans.

Calm down with the giggle fest there buddy and realize you are the Magic fan in this scenario.

If the Lakers were his preferred destination he will probably push for it. End of the day Magic are gonna have to trade him some place for way below his value or he will sign elsewhere be it the Nets, Knicks, or Mavs. If he makes it to free agency to where teams can sign him with cap space they will get way worse offers in sign and trades then they are getting now and Magic fans have to go through a Melo like circus of a season.

Sucks for Magic fans its a matter of time before they lose the best big man in the NBA. For the 2nd time in their franchise history. Orlando seems like a great place to live and no income taxes. Just comes down to if he believes he can win there. And yea I don't think anyone blames him for not thinking he could.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#50 » by rcklsscognition » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:04 am

I am a Magic fan and I'm not sure I have any credibility, but Barnes is a pretty good friend with Dwight and was recently at Dwight's charity game, so this does carry some weight. But, Orlando won't trade him to the Lakers, if not for any other reason than Shaq, and that is 100% guaranteed. They will consider all other destinations first, or just let him walk.
cb1115
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#51 » by cb1115 » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:05 am

rayofsunshine wrote:He's not worth bynum and odom!!!!

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#52 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:06 am

Dwight talked to the right person because Matt Barnes knows what it takes to sacrifice to become a Laker. He passed on millions to play for them.
WestSideChamp
Banned User

Post#53 » by WestSideChamp » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:06 am

Shannon is gone!

#12 is waiting for you Dwight !
BeasleyTheBeast
Analyst
And1: 49

Post#54 » by BeasleyTheBeast » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:06 am

"if you can't beat'em, join em"

Inreponse to Derrick Rose's Brother criticising the Bulls FO

RunSunRun wrote:"Wait...Derrick Rose has a brother, can he play?"

- Suns front office
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#55 » by iamworthy » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:06 am

rcklsscognition wrote:I am a Magic fan and I'm not sure I have any credibility, but Barnes is a pretty good friend with Dwight and was recently at Dwight's charity game, so this does carry some weight. But, Orlando won't trade him to the Lakers, if not for any other reason than Shaq, and that is 100% guaranteed. They will consider all other destinations first, or just let him walk.

If your Team is unwilling to trade a player to a team because of the past, especially when its not like they're rivals, then the Magic have more problems then we thought and Magic fans should worry.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#56 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:07 am

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Howard was traded to the Lakers, but I think that Bynum/Odom is a flawed package for two reasons- Bynum is immature and injury prone (I know they were freak injuries- but it seems to have damaged the integrity of his knee to an extent) and Odom is definitely past his prime at age 32.

I'm not sure why he isn't interested in going to the Nets with a trade package centered around Brook Lopez? He would be able to play with a top level point guard that still has several years of his prime left.
ShabazzMuhammad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#57 » by ShabazzMuhammad » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:08 am

Orlando blew it with Shaq, Duncan and now potentially Howard ... all within 1 and 1/2 decade
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#58 » by iamworthy » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:09 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I wouldn't be totally surprised if Howard was traded to the Lakers, but I think that Bynum/Odom is a flawed package for two reasons- Bynum is immature and injury prone (I know they were freak injuries- but it seems to have damaged the integrity of his knee to an extent) and Odom is definitely past his prime at age 32.

I'm not sure why he isn't interested in going to the Nets with a trade package centered around Brook Lopez? He would be able to play with a top level point guard that still has several years of his prime left.

We all would be surprised if he was traded to the lakers. But the Lakers M.O is if its in the news its probably not true.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#59 » by iamworthy » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:12 am

If anyone wants to know what the Lakers Board fell about Matt Barnes saying this go to the Lakers team board. :lol:
ModIn
Junior
And1: 88

Post#60 » by ModIn » Sat Dec 3, 2011 5:24 am

Will be interesting to see if Otis has the balls to call his bluff.

Dwight will never ever sign with the Lakers for the MLE.

If he clearly wants to get to the Lakers only and realizes he cant he will probably come crawling back to the Magic anyways and happily take the money.

If not just go for it this year.

If you clearly are nothing else than a 1 and done team without much hope of contending trade him to a team willing to rent him.

If there are no decent offers out there and he clearly will not resign, I have an ideal trade deadline scenario for you ( I am a Mavs fan :D): Just take everything you want for your rebuild from the Mavs or for gods sake another western team ( only If Mavs suck :P) in contention and happily watch em beat up on the Lakers.

I believe Magic fans would take that over taking back Bynum + for Howard.

Return to The General Board