B-Diddy a KnickerBocker: per Stein

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,259

Re: B-Diddy a KnickerBocker: per Stein 

Post#101 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:38 pm

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
lovethewire wrote:How long is the deal, and I kinda like the move, only question is, who plays any defense on that roster, Davis, amare, and melo are a terrible combination defensively, and their all chuckers, but the east is so bad towards the bottom, they'll still probably be a 5th seed

Chandler, Toney Douglas, Balkman and Shumpert are all good to excellent defensively. And I don't think Amare's bad. Davis used to be a good defender. He's probably got a bit of skill there when the game's on the line.

No need to make things up to prove a point. Chandler is a good help defender who can block shots and is an average rebounder. How many games does Tony Douglas have to not play defense for Knick fans to acknowledge that he is not good defensively? How long will this myth continue? Not a single Knick fan mentioned Balkman all off season outside of trying to dump his contract. After his game yesterday he is now in the rotation and a good defender. Shumpert needs to show he can actually play defense in the NBA before he can be considered even average. Everyone else on your roster is below average.

Douglas is a very good to great defender. I don't know where you're getting "not that good" from.

and Balkman, you're right. He's a guy who had an inspired Rookie season in 06-07. OK followup years in 07-08 and 08-09 and nothing since then. He looked like he didn't care at all last year, but he looked like he cared yesterday and that's big. If he could be the player he was when he was a rookie, that would be huge.

Balkman's career per 36 numbers are 10.4 pts, 9.1 rebounds, 2 steals and 1.2 blocks and this is a guy who can defend a range from SG to PF. He even defended Yao one game when Eddy Curry was getting Manhandled. He's also worked on his 3 pt shooting (not just this year, but that's the only thing he showed improvement on as a nugget), and he's great at cutting to the basket for lobs.

I'd written Balkman off too, but now I'm optimistic. He could be a sleeper and play a big role this year.
Go NY Go NY Go
sefant77
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#102 » by sefant77 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with Baron faking the back thing, because I think the whole amnesty process is incredibly unfair to the players in the first place; The few sacrificing for the good of the many (in the form of BRI).

Unfair? What? They still get their full salary. And when they signed their contracts they knew they could be shipped out to any team in a trade. Doesnt matter if its a trade or amnesty/pickup. You have your contract, you go play...
bronxknicksfan1
Starter
And1: 1,306

Post#103 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:54 pm

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
lovethewire wrote:How long is the deal, and I kinda like the move, only question is, who plays any defense on that roster, Davis, amare, and melo are a terrible combination defensively, and their all chuckers, but the east is so bad towards the bottom, they'll still probably be a 5th seed

Chandler, Toney Douglas, Balkman and Shumpert are all good to excellent defensively. And I don't think Amare's bad. Davis used to be a good defender. He's probably got a bit of skill there when the game's on the line.

No need to make things up to prove a point. Chandler is a good help defender who can block shots and is an average rebounder. How many games does Tony Douglas have to not play defense for Knick fans to acknowledge that he is not good defensively? How long will this myth continue? Not a single Knick fan mentioned Balkman all off season outside of trying to dump his contract. After his game yesterday he is now in the rotation and a good defender. Shumpert needs to show he can actually play defense in the NBA before he can be considered even average. Everyone else on your roster is below average.

LOL Since when was Chandler an average rebounder? And have you ever watched Toney Douglas play defense?
Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Post#104 » by Hemispheres » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Amar'e is generally a very bad defender. Though he can intimidate with his blocked shots.

However Melo hasn't been bad since he's gotten to New York. He varies from average to good when he's focused.

Douglas only became bad once his shoulder got injured. Healthy, he is a very good defender.

Fields, Jeffries, Balkman, and Shumpert are all average to above average defenders.

Chandler is a 2nd team all-defense player. AKA very good.
jordanisbetter
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#105 » by jordanisbetter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Knicks fans over-rating their entire roster as usual.

B-Diddy is not a Top 10 PG.
Chandler is not a Top 10 center.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#106 » by ManualRam » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:57 pm

jordanisbetter wrote:Knicks fans over-rating their entire roster as usual.

Chandler is a top 10 center
BD shouldnt even be a starter in the NBA.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Post#107 » by Hemispheres » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Baron is not a top 10 PG. Knicks don't need an elite pg though. They just need someone solid to run the team. Baron provides that.

Chandler IS definitely a top 10 center. Don't be a hater.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#108 » by omerome » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:57 pm

I'll agree with you about Baron Davis but name 10 centers in the league better than Tyson Chandler.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#109 » by Ballings7 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Knicks needed a guy who knows how to run an offense at a high level - helps he can score himself, too

Will help out on the glass, also.

Pretty much a no-brainer to get him for NYK after Paul wasn't gonna happen
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Heyvoon24
Pro Prospect
And1: 18

Post#110 » by Heyvoon24 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Great pickup. A motivated Baron will help the Knicks tremendously.
Beat who?
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#111 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:10 pm

LOL Since when was Chandler an average rebounder? And have you ever watched Toney Douglas play defense?

I am unimpressed when a 7'1 athletic freak has a career average of less than 9 boards a game. Injuries aside, he should get double digit boards every single game.

I live in NYC and have MSG. Go to about a dozen games a year at the Garden, how about you?

Watch the same games you do. It is a myth that he is a good defender. He routinely gets burned and is clueless out there. Good offensive sparkplug off the bench, not a good defender. Many folks on your very board now acknowledge so.
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
SRTtoZ
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#112 » by SRTtoZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:11 pm

This move just gave the Knicks MORE depth which they needed and a PG who can run the offense, something Toney Douglas cannot do. Bibby looked by far our best playmaker yesterday and thats not saying much. This is a great move any way you look at it.
OzzyAZ
Analyst
And1: 1,166

Post#113 » by OzzyAZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:27 pm

knickerbockers gonna knickerbock
purplehaze89
Banned User

Post#114 » by purplehaze89 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:32 pm

YounG_A wrote:
purplehaze89 wrote:Would love Arenas to go to the Heat. Hilarity would ensue.

if I didn't read the title...I would've thought this was a thread for purplehaze89 to hate on the Heat.

so much anger inside of you

:lol: nope. U jelly?
purplehaze89
Banned User

Post#115 » by purplehaze89 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:32 pm

BBallFreak wrote:

Unlike Orlando, Miami is not a poorly run organization. We're not giving up a roster spot to that bum.

K thanks for your opinion troll. :lol:

Check your PM. Do not call other posters troll and do not bait other posters

UGA Hayes
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#116 » by EscapoTHB » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Here's one way to look at it in which it's not a great move:
Baron Davis sucks almost as much as Mike Bibby, and now the Knicks have a point guard rotation that actually makes the Heat look like they have good players at that position.

The Knicks are gambling everything that Chandler/Amare/Melo is better than Noah/Boozer/Rose, and Bosh/Lebron/Wade...

And it's simply not. It will be shocking if they can survive the 66 games with all of the health problems that Baron, Chandler, and Amare all already have.

They'll be good certainly. But there's a big gap between where the Knicks are and the Bulls and Heat.

The Knicks have no depth whatsoever, and they are reliant on two very injury prone players to carry them.

They could very easily miss the playoffs this year if Amare or Chandler get injured for any stretch of time.

Whereas if the Heat lose Bosh for a stretch, they have Haslem. If they lose Lebron or Wade they have Battier and Miller. It's not ideal, but at least it's cover. And it's a lot better than what the Knicks have.

Similarly the Bulls have proven they can survive injuries to Boozer and Noah because their backups are really good.

I mean there's not a huge gap between Asik and Chandler as players--that's how bad the center position is in the NBA I suppose. And Noah is actually better than Chandler because he's a better offensive player on top of being more versatile on defense.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,229

Post#117 » by BBallFreak » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:36 pm

purplehaze89 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

Unlike Orlando, Miami is not a poorly run organization. We're not giving up a roster spot to that bum.

K thanks for your opinion troll. :lol:

So you're allowed to take shots at the Heat, and you're cool, but the second I turn it back on your team, I'm a troll? LOL! Nice. Last time I feed the troll. Ignore...
SheedsWeed
RealGM

Post#118 » by SheedsWeed » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:37 pm

I saw an article title that said "Knicks sign ex-Cav Davis" and for some reason I thought it was Ricky Davis.
BlockedbyEwing
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#119 » by BlockedbyEwing » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Low risk , high reward.

Hopefully he can get fully healthy soon and play like the Hornets/GSW Davis

R.I.P Eastern Conference :)
SRTtoZ
Banned User

Post#120 » by SRTtoZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:43 pm

EscapoTHB wrote:Baron Davis sucks almost as much as Mike Bibby

I'm trying to figure out how his 14 ppg 6 assist average on the worst team in the league last year 'sucks' or even comes close to Bibby.

Return to The General Board