Durant - One Legged fadeaway

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

AndroidMan
Veteran
And1: 262

Durant - One Legged fadeaway 

Post#1 » by AndroidMan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Durant claims he took Dirk's one legged fadeaway move and is practicing it and bringing it into his own arsenal.

What are the practical benefits of learning this move. You have to figure a scoring champ already has a litany of offensive moves. I've also seen use the move against Lebronat Goodman Go to 1:25

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzBGlL3ZQc[/youtube].

Should more players be learning this move?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQXlfMhwUoo&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings ... -nowitzki/
call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Re: Durant - One Legged fadeaway 

Post#2 » by call.me.dude » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:41 pm

It has proven to be one of the most undefendable shots in the history of the game. Of course it's a very difficult shot that takes a lot of practice and certainly not for everyone, but IMO every player that has a good shooting touch and wants to have an elite post/mid-post game should consider adding it to his arsenal.

Heck, even I added it to my "arsenal" and can now hit it pretty well. I'm 5-7 and unathletic and so far nobody has ever blocked it (I play against guys that are between 6-0 and 6-8 and am being guarded mostly by guys that are between 6-0 and 6-3). Now obviously the level of competition is not all that great, but I think it still says something. Now add the fact that Dirk and Durant are considerably taller than their usual opponents and it's a no brainer for Durant to add this shot to his arsenal.

I gotta admit though, the way Durant shoots it looks ridiculous.
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...
TripleC
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#3 » by TripleC » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Would be dead scary if he masters that shot.. he's also really quick off his feet and hands when releasing the ball.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#4 » by ManualRam » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Can't hurt. Its a quick release shot that accomplishes the same thing as a step back jumper, often times without having to utilize a dribble. It requires good footwork so I don't see lebron adding it to his arsenal any time soon.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#5 » by Sark » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Durant looks really dumb when he does it.
CROSS+
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#6 » by CROSS+ » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Durant doesn't appear to have the balance and body control that Dirk has.

Dirk is one of the most deceivingly athletic players in the history of the game. He isn't the quickest player nor will he outjump you, but the body control and coordination he possesses, especially for his size, is a very a rare attribute among NBA players.

It is kind of the same thing as Steve Nash, who isn't considered an athletic freak, but can get anywhere on the court, finish remarkably well around the rim and and shoot pull up jumpers so accurately due to the extraordinary body control he has.
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#7 » by AndroidMan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:36 pm

call.me.dude wrote:It has proven to be one of the most undefendable shots in the history of the game. Of course it's a very difficult shot that takes a lot of practice and certainly not for everyone, but IMO every player that has a good shooting touch and wants to have an elite post/mid-post game should consider adding it to his arsenal.

Heck, even I added it to my "arsenal" and can now hit it pretty well. I'm 5-7 and unathletic and so far nobody has ever blocked it (I play against guys that are between 6-0 and 6-8 and am being guarded mostly by guys that are between 6-0 and 6-3). Now obviously the level of competition is not all that great, but I think it still says something. Now add the fact that Dirk and Durant are considerably taller than their usual opponents and it's a no brainer for Durant to add this shot to his arsenal.

I gotta admit though, the way Durant shoots it looks ridiculous.

Ya, I've also practiced the shot myself while shooting around, trying to learn the dynamics and the reason for its employment. It sure appears to be extremely effective once mastered.

I suppose I also should've read the article I linked to. Durant pretty much answers my question himself.

“I kind of gave a wink to Dirk because, like I said, I stole that from him, man,” Durant said. “He’s such a great basket-maker at that shot and he does it on every type of play, going to the middle, baseline. I’m just trying to perfect it a little bit like he has. It’s going to take me a long time but I’m working on it.”
Durant said he likes the move because it can be nearly impossible to block, especially at his size with his length. The shot, Durant said, also can bait opponents into fouling as they attempt to defend it. Durant added that he is not against breaking out the one-legged fadeaway in regular season games.
“I’m not afraid to use it,” Durant said. “People might think that’s an easy shot to make but it’s tough. You got to get the right arch on the ball and you got to make a strong shot. I’ve been working on it all summer. Hopefully I make more than I miss.”
cs hauser
Suspended
And1: 75

Post#8 » by cs hauser » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Most defenders would be happy if they can force the other player into a one-legged fadeaway. The shot is difficult to pull off, and it's considered a low-percentage shot. Dirk has spent his entire career mastering the move, and he's a freak for having been able to turn it into a weapon. But just like Shawn Marion shooting below-the-neck free throws at 82%, these moves are fundamentally wrong and it's kind of silly for other people to copy it.

With reports of Durant practicing the one-legged fadeaway and Chris Bosh unleashing his 3-point prowess this season, I can't help but think that Dirk must've made a big impression on his playoff opponents last season. :D
AndroidMan
Veteran

Post#9 » by AndroidMan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:20 pm

cs hauser wrote:Most defenders would be happy if they can force the other player into a one-legged fadeaway. The shot is difficult to pull off, and it's considered a low-percentage shot. Dirk has spent his entire career mastering the move, and he's a freak for having been able to turn it into a weapon. But just like Shawn Marion shooting below-the-neck free throws at 82%, these moves are fundamentally wrong and it's kind of silly for other people to copy it.

With reports of Durant practicing the one-legged fadeaway and Chris Bosh unleashing his 3-point prowess this season, I can't help but think that Dirk must've made a big impression on his playoff opponents last season. :D

The fadeaway by itself is considered a lower percentage shot. Most coaches will scream at you for fading back.

This is the NBA however. These players have mastered the art of difficulty and are intelligent to do risk/reward calculation themselves. MJ's fadeaway and Dirk's one footer should be studied by others if they are willing to learn the technique.

Smart championship players move should be learned, It's the reason the champion is employing them in the 1st place. there's some practical purpose and benefit to its use.

marion's free throw is an anomaly. There's no practical purpose others should copy Marion's stroke. No advantage gained by shooting free throw below the neck.

Return to The General Board