@@@@@@@@

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Baren Davids
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Do you think Brittney Griner can compete in the NBA? 

Post#181 » by Baren Davids » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:38 am

Only one way to find out: Brittney Griner vs Anthony "Magic" Randolph 1v1
Kironte
Senior
And1: 9

Post#182 » by Kironte » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:41 am

GloriaJames wrote:
batmana wrote:There is a video of a shooting coach on youtube who nails several hundred 3-pointers in succession without a miss (I believe it was upwards of 500 or 700). He is in his 70s. You think he can play in the NBA too?

If you really read every single post, you'd single out the idiots and the jokes and find out that those who made an effort to give a meaningful answer pointed out exactly how men's physical superiority would dwarf every single other skill. I don't think a woman is incapable of being a better shooter. However, I think it is irrelevant how accurate a shooter you are when you are not able to get an open look and when every shot you possibly take is either being blocked or altered by someone twice your size. There is a reason why Shaquille O'Neal is a consensus top 10 all-time player in NBA history. If skill and shooting was more important, Mark Price would be the goat.

To answer your points, no you don't need a 40-inch vertical but you'd better have a better vertical than 12 inches. And John Lucas is in the league for other physical tools that make him an asset - quickness, toughness, yes, good shooting too. Do you realize how physical you need to be to elevate and get a good look in the NBA when a center can fly from halfway across the lane and block your shot in mid-air? I think you don't believe the guy who said he was 5-8 and was able to block a taller woman's shot but that is perfectly normal. Every NBA player is capable of dunking the ball (probably apart from Earl Boykins). Do you think any WNBA player (including Griner) has a higher release point on her shot?

You make it sound like women are as athletic as 70-year-olds. Please,in the future, try and tone down your misogyny before responding. This post is just a complete mess and, unsurprisingly, unsubstantiated.
Ω

Kironte wrote:
GloriaJames wrote:Yeah? Prove it. The burden of proof is on you to prove that a woman cannot play in the NBA.

Well, there is no rule that prohibits a woman from being on an NBA roster.
Yet there is no woman playing in the NBA despite being so marketable that Stern has wet dreams thinking about it.

That isn't proof that a woman cannot play in the NBA. The ones who would be talented and athletic enough have far better opportunities in the WNBA and other leagues. Additionally, you don't other barriers exist that prevent women from joining an entirely male league?

It's almost like you guys believe that we live in a society where men and women have equal opportunity.

"In 2010, the highest maximum salary allowed in the WNBA was $101,500. "

They go to the WNBA because its the only way to get a contract and playing time, if any of them could realistically play in the NBA they surely would, even for free, just with the endorsements they would make millions.
And no in the NBA men and women do not have equal opportunity, because if there were to identical players one male and one female we all know wich would get the job.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/12/04/countdown/index.html

"Stern's entire career demonstrates that his perspective and ambitions eclipse the needs of the WNBA. If a woman were to play in his league -- and play well -- it would have the liberating impact of Jackie Robinson's 1947 breakthrough of baseball's color barrier, but on a much greater scale. This would make news around the world. Thanks to Stern's stubborn success in feeding NBA video to every continent, women almost everywhere would have access to and be personally inspired by the pictures of a woman playing in the league of Michael Jordan and LeBron James. It would be an athletic achievement without precedent.
"

DEAL WITH IT.
GloriaJames
Banned User

Post#183 » by GloriaJames » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:46 am

Kironte wrote:"In 2010, the highest maximum salary allowed in the WNBA was $101,500. "

They go to the WNBA because its the only way to get a contract and playing time, if any of them could realistically play in the NBA they surely would, even for free, just with the endorsements they would make millions.
And no in the NBA men and women do not have equal opportunity, because if there were to identical players one male and one female we all know wich would get the job.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/12/04/countdown/index.html

"Stern's entire career demonstrates that his perspective and ambitions eclipse the needs of the WNBA. If a woman were to play in his league -- and play well -- it would have the liberating impact of Jackie Robinson's 1947 breakthrough of baseball's color barrier, but on a much greater scale. This would make news around the world. Thanks to Stern's stubborn success in feeding NBA video to every continent, women almost everywhere would have access to and be personally inspired by the pictures of a woman playing in the league of Michael Jordan and LeBron James. It would be an athletic achievement without precedent.
"

DEAL WITH IT.

Some nobody sports writer's speculation is evidence that a woman can't play in the NBA?

And for what it's worth, don't think that I'm not willing to be proven wrong. You just aren't making a very strong case.
alb_mod
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#184 » by alb_mod » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:50 am

GloriaJames wrote:And for what it's worth, don't think that I'm not willing to be proven wrong. You just aren't making a very strong case.

Aganin, please explain us in wich way yout statement can be falsified, sir
“We were right there with them. We dominated for most of the game, but then 179 points with 138 shoots happened.” - Al Horford
alb_mod
Sophomore

Post#185 » by alb_mod » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:54 am

“We were right there with them. We dominated for most of the game, but then 179 points with 138 shoots happened.” - Al Horford
GloriaJames
Banned User

Post#186 » by GloriaJames » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:56 am

alb_mod wrote:
GloriaJames wrote:And for what it's worth, don't think that I'm not willing to be proven wrong. You just aren't making a very strong case.

What?
Kironte
Senior
And1: 9

Post#187 » by Kironte » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:57 am

GloriaJames wrote:
Kironte wrote:"In 2010, the highest maximum salary allowed in the WNBA was $101,500. "

"

DEAL WITH IT.

Some nobody sports writer's speculation is evidence that a woman can't play in the NBA?

And for what it's worth, don't think that I'm not willing to be proven wrong. You just aren't making a very strong case.

No I was just refuting your point about equal opportunities in the NBA, every team in the league would welcome the attention, publicity and increase in revenue that would happen if they signed a female player, and Stern would sell his mothers soul for an opportunity to sell the NBA to half the world population.
I might not be making the strongest case, but yours its simply laughable.
Grahf
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#188 » by Grahf » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:59 am

There's no way a woman could play in the NBA. The burden of proof does not rest on us to prove something that's self-evident: As great an athlete as Griner is, she is not nearly fast enough or strong enough to play in the NBA. And by God, it's not even close.

Gender differences, learn to accept that they exist.

The Zen Master vehemently disagrees with David Stern’s prediction that a woman could play in the L within the next 10 years. And it all stems from a game that took place decades ago: “When Jackson ran a youth basketball camp in Montana early in his coaching career, he recalls pitting a state champion high school girls team against a group of middle-school boys who had never played together. The outcome of the game was so one-sided in favor of the boys that it has stuck in Jackson’s mind ever since. ‘(The girls) were all four to six inches bigger than these boys, and they got beat by 40 points,’ Jackson said. ‘It was one of those things that opened my eyes to the differences. Even though the girls had skill and knowledge as a group and the boys hadn’t played together, they just trapped and pressed and did all kinds of things that changed the game … That’s not going to happen,’ he said. Without a doubt, women’s basketball has made great strides, but I can’t see it in 10 years. I think the boys are going to increase as much as the women do in those 10 years. That’s the way we’re evolving.’”

/thread
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:With all things considered I will probably have LeVert before Jaylen.
alb_mod
Sophomore

Post#189 » by alb_mod » Tue Apr 3, 2012 12:01 pm

GloriaJames wrote:
alb_mod wrote:

What?

Not surprised you dont get it
J-Ville Smoke
Head Coach
And1: 296

Post#190 » by J-Ville Smoke » Tue Apr 3, 2012 12:33 pm

Amazing thread. Will read again.

I especially liked the part where the dude who works at the gas station tried to fight everyone. That was good.

On Topic-

No.

Slightly On-topic-

I think we had a thread a little while back that had this as a premise:

Take the greatest female basketball team you can create of all time, all in their primes. Now take the best five man team in the NBA you can think of.

48 minute game, if the men win by 200 points, the women are executed, if the men don't win by 200 points, they're killed along with their families (this takes out the option of nobly falling on your sword for the women).

Some kind of Secret War, NBA-style.

I think the consensus was that it would be an easy task for the men.
Волков бояться — в лес не ходить.
batmana
Sixth Man
And1: 1,424

Post#191 » by batmana » Tue Apr 3, 2012 1:10 pm

GloriaJames wrote:You make it sound like women are as athletic as 70-year-olds. Please,in the future, try and tone down your misogyny before responding. This post is just a complete mess and, unsurprisingly, unsubstantiated.

You made me laugh. To sum it up, the posts that point out the reasons you were looking for are "a complete mess" and "unsubstantiated".

You made it sound like a skill could get you in the NBA regardless of physical tools. Who is to say we can't have a 70-year-old player, if we can have a female player? Not that you really care but I actually wrote earlier that a female player could play in the NBA. But I guess not believing she could be an all-star is again a display of my misogyny.

Britney Griner was beating boys her age in school. Maybe even bigger than her, but boys. We get it. We've seen the videos. Have you actually seen a professional basketball player, I don't care NBA, D-League or European/International leagues? If the hypothetical game between a WNBA all-time dream team and an NBA all-time dream team actually takes place with those stakes mentioned, I would seriously put my money on a bet that the women don't advance the ball past the half-court line.
88.0 FGA Team
C - Gilmore (81-82)/McHale
PF - Rodman (91-92)/McHale (87-88)
SF - Worthy (85-86)/Rodman/Ariza
SG - Miller (93-94)/Ariza (08-09)/Dragic
PG - Johnson (88-89)/Dragic (09-10)
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#192 » by Muggsy Bogues » Tue Apr 3, 2012 2:42 pm

GloriaJames wrote:That isn't proof that a woman cannot play in the NBA. The ones who would be talented and athletic enough have far better opportunities in the WNBA and other leagues.

The burden of proof is not on us, it's on you. If you're trying to make the claim that something that's never been done before can in fact be done, then you need to offer up some sort evidence that indicates that you might be right. Quite a few female basketball players who've come along over the years have had the skill, basketball IQ and competitive mentality to succeed in the NBA, but not one of them has been up to par physically.

You vastly underestimate the overall level of athleticism in men's pro basketball, and the effect that it has on a player's success. By no means is overwhelming athleticism required to carve out a niche in the league, but someone who's physically outclassed at almost every turn is going to have an insanely tough time of it.

Take Jimmer Fredette as an example: last year's top college scorer, extremely skilled, with a high basketball IQ... and yet he's been a non-factor at the pro level so far because his lack of lateral quickness, height and weakness when defending in the post manage to neutralize all his strengths. Now take Jimmer and the top five women in the NCAA (having had some more time to look at Griner's game, I'm not entirely sure she'd even rank in the top 5 if not for her physical advantage... there are players out there far more skilled, if not in her league as far as height and reach) and compare their vertical, results on endurance tests, weight lifting ability, etc. Fredette comes out on top every time. If he's barely making it, what makes you think that someone who's far inferior physically has a chance? Skill can only take you so far.
doctorfunk
Banned User

Post#193 » by doctorfunk » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:00 pm

Muggsy Bogues wrote:
GloriaJames wrote:That isn't proof that a woman cannot play in the NBA. The ones who would be talented and athletic enough have far better opportunities in the WNBA and other leagues.

The burden of proof is not on us, it's on you. If you're trying to make the claim that something that's never been done before can in fact be done, then you need to offer up some sort evidence that indicates that you might be right. Quite a few female basketball players who've come along over the years have had the skill, basketball IQ and competitive mentality to succeed in the NBA, but not one of them has been up to par physically.

You vastly underestimate the overall level of athleticism in men's pro basketball, and the effect that it has on a player's success. By no means is overwhelming athleticism required to carve out a niche in the league, but someone who's physically outclassed at almost every turn is going to have an insanely tough time of it.

Take Jimmer Fredette as an example: last year's top college scorer, extremely skilled, with a high basketball IQ... and yet he's been a non-factor at the pro level so far because his lack of lateral quickness, height and weakness when defending in the post manage to neutralize all his strengths. Now take Jimmer and the top five women in the NCAA (having had some more time to look at Griner's game, I'm not entirely sure she'd even rank in the top 5 if not for her physical advantage... there are players out there far more skilled, if not in her league as far as height and reach) and compare their vertical, results on endurance tests, weight lifting ability, etc. Fredette comes out on top every time. If he's barely making it, what makes you think that someone who's far inferior physically has a chance? Skill can only take you so far.

very good post
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,482

Post#194 » by RondoToKG » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:08 pm

Brian Scalabrine, Greg Stiemsma, Luke Harangody, Sasha Pavlovic, Omri Casspi, Andres Nocioni, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Steve Blake, and Rasheed Wallace
Brett
Junior
And1: 7

Post#195 » by Brett » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:10 pm

RondoToKG wrote:Brian Scalabrine, Greg Stiemsma, Luke Harangody, Sasha Pavlovic, Omri Casspi, Andres Nocioni, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Steve Blake, and Rasheed Wallace

One of these things is not like the other.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#196 » by azuresou1 » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:11 pm

Brett wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:Brian Scalabrine, Greg Stiemsma, Luke Harangody, Sasha Pavlovic, Omri Casspi, Andres Nocioni, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Steve Blake, and Rasheed Wallace

One of these things is not like the other.

You're right, Steve Blake is pretty small.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#197 » by dice » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:31 pm

if a female was even CLOSE to having the ability to make an NBA roster we'd have seen it. the marketing value of having a woman as your "12th man" alone would make it worthwhile. you think people get excited about scalabrine getting into a game?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#198 » by Tai » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:38 pm

dice wrote:if a female was even CLOSE to having the ability to make an NBA roster we'd have seen it. the marketing value of having a woman as your "12th man" alone would make it worthwhile. you think people get excited about scalabrine getting into a game?

Well....as a Celtics fan, I can say that they genuinely do hahaha, but point taken. : )
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
Moggs24
Senior
And1: 84

Post#199 » by Moggs24 » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:45 pm

RLakh23 wrote:I'm not trying to start a debate. But if you look at Candace Parker to Brittney Griner to Skyler Diggins. Certain Women put in the effort to compete with men. Griner I think can play Small Forward in the NBA. If Kevin Durant can be a superstar in his rookie year (skinny mini all I'm saying)

Diggins and Parker I know have to chance but they helped rebuild Women's basketball.

Do you ever think a woman will play in the NBA?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How can this be a serious question.
Kalidogg24
Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#200 » by Kalidogg24 » Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:50 pm

RLakh23 wrote:
I think a 6'8 man who has never even heard of basketball has a better shot at competing in the NBA than Brittney Griner does.

#Harshtag

you kids must not get out a lot. I have played with girls that could out shoot me for days.

You must be a Terrible hooper then ! Haha j/p

I played with and against the WNBA's former Finals And Regular season MVP Diana Taurasi .
Which we all could admit is a deadly shooter.
As for myself nothing special played junior college ball a couple years as a pass first point guard with a decent shooting touch IMO . I try to patented my game off CP3/JKidd.
When me and Taurasi faced off in a LA fitness I must admit the Man ego inside of me wouldn't let her score a single point on me. LoL. I even blasted one of her layups off the backboard. It gets real in the battlefield :D Next game me and my squad picked her up as we continued the winning streak.

With that being said women just can't match the speed and physicality of us men. It's just how it is.

Like The Great Ron Burgundy once said, " Me Man, Give me hammer and nail I'll build house"

LoL
REST IN PARADISE GOAT
#TeamFlightBrothers

Return to The General Board