yardbarker

Lets talk about Alexey Shved

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, tsherkin, NO-KG-AI, Doctor MJ, UGA Hayes, Basti, KingCuban, Flash3, Yuri Vaultin, magnumt

Post#1 Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm by NikolaPekovic

For those of you who don't know he is a russian combo guard, who was the second best player on the bronze winning team next to ak47.

heralded as a great player at a really young age, he has a great handle, but is also a great passer (VERY flashy) and is a good knock down shooter as well. What separates him from the typical european player is his american playstyle (crossovers, good 1v1 player)

his flaws are his maturity, decision making, and effort on defense.

What is your opinion on him from what you saw in the olympics? or if you are familiar with the euro league.

Klomp wrote:

Klomp wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:No highlights and/or stats? I guess I could go on Youtube...

Klomp wrote:

Gunny wrote:

NikolaPekovic
Senior
And1: 56

Post#2 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:09 pm by Blame Rasho

He reminds me more of Brent Barry from his Sonic days.... and if he is that type of player... he will find his niche in the NBA.

There are not that many players with Bones skill set...
It is illogical to use logic on an illogical person.
Solution...use even more illogical logic to trump their logic.
Things I have learned on the general board this week
Superstars are made in the SL...
Blame Rasho
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 2,114

Post#3 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:10 pm by Ettorefm

Russian Rubio? By who?
He's 6'6 and a Shooting Guard. Being a good passer and having excelent courtvision doesn't make you a 'russian rubio' :lol: this was made up by the american media, as they prefer to label foreign players by stereotypes or one minute footage instead of actually scouting them.
Just look at Vesely, seen a few years ago as the european Blake Griffin, when he plays NOTHING like Griffin. Some people from the media actually tried to link him to Dirk. Yeah, great job. Keep trusting his jumpshot :lol:
nhh90 wrote:I hoenstly don't know if melo is better than gallinari on that contract.
I feel like he will give you 18 pts-20 pts vs. 23-25 pts next year on 57 ts% instead of 54%. He also costs 10 million dollars less. So it is a wash.
Ettorefm

Lead Assistant
And1: 1,473

Post#4 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:13 pm by NikolaPekovic

Ettorefm wrote:Russian Rubio? By who?
He's 6'6 and a Shooting Guard. Being a good passer and having excelent courtvision doesn't make you a 'russian rubio' :lol: this was made up by the american media, as they prefer to label foreign players by stereotypes or one minute footage instead of actually scouting them.
Just look at Vesely, seen a few years ago as the european Blake Griffin, when he plays NOTHING like Griffin. Some people from the media actually tried to link him to Dirk. Yeah, great job. Keep trusting his jumpshot :lol:

i maybe shouldnt have put it in quotations xD. alot of ppl are quick to generalizations.

i guess its the flashiness,floppy hair, and good looks (pause)
NikolaPekovic
Senior
And1: 56

Post#5 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:14 pm by Dr Aki

russian rubio because he has floppy hair?
ImageImage
Dr Aki

RealGM
And1: 1,460

Post#6 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm by Klomp

Blame Rasho wrote:He reminds me more of Brent Barry from his Sonic days.... and if he is that type of player... he will find his niche in the NBA.

That's actually a really good comparison. Best I've seen yet!
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 1,567

Post#7 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:19 pm by Klomp

As for the Rubio comparisons, plays like this certainly make it more appealing

DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 1,567

Post#8 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:23 pm by Notas A3

I like the guy, but he wasn't the 2nd best player for Russia in the olympics, I was really disappointed with his play in London, I hope he can bring everythong to the table in Minny.
Let's Go Sixers!
Notas A3

Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Post#9 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:25 pm by Johnlac1

Shved's progress will probably depend a lot on how good (or bad) his defense is. He appears to lack strength, but has the athletic ability to get cover players. We'll see. His offense looks more promising, but there again are some red flags. He has good length and athletic ability for a shooting guard. Obviously superior to Ridnour in that area. And he looks good on his outside shot being able to hit 3s respectably and can finish at the basket as well. He also sees the floor well and is a nice passer. But he seems to zone out at times and get into a phases where he is turnover prone. His potential is superior to Ridnour's, but I see a year of him adjusting to the NBA. And hopefully he doesn't get moody and mouth off to Adelman who'd probably ship him back to Russia on the first plane. I don't want to label him a head case, but there are rumors to that effect.
Johnlac1
Starter
And1: 261

Post#10 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:25 pm by FullCircle

Derailing, evading language filter
FullCircle
Junior
And1: 6

Post#11 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:27 pm by Johnlac1

I meant to say he has the physical ability to cover players. Not get cover players.
Johnlac1
Starter
And1: 261

Post#12 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:30 pm by Chalk1

He looked like a PG to me. Ran the show for the Russians.
Chalk1
Pro Prospect
And1: 150

Post#13 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:36 pm by orange_juice32

Much too weak. needs to bulk up
orange_juice32
Rookie
And1: 164

Post#14 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:42 pm by Chalk1

eltalavk wrote:I like the guy, but he wasn't the 2nd best player for Russia in the olympics, I was really disappointed with his play in London, I hope he can bring everythong to the table in Minny.

Who, Mozgov? Fridzon?

Shved averaged more points than mozgov and .1 point less than Fridzon, and was 3rd in the Olympics in assists.

I'd say as the PG, with questionable backups at that spot, he was the most important player for Russia.
Chalk1
Pro Prospect
And1: 150

Post#15 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 pm by ieatchildrenraw

Shved's shooting is inconsistent from what I saw at the Olympics, but when he's shooting well, he can shoot the lights out. His defense is weak, but his ball handling skills are good and so is his passing when he's not getting carried away and making bad decisions. He could be a very good off the bench shooter for the Timberwolves and may even be the starter depending on how him and Brandon Roy plays.
ieatchildrenraw
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#16 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:48 pm by ManualRam

Blame Rasho wrote:He reminds me more of Brent Barry from his Sonic days.... and if he is that type of player... he will find his niche in the NBA.

pretty good comparison. i think shved's ability to create his own shot is a bit better, but i think barry's decision making was better.
shved's a solid playmaker but he can attempt some pretty risky, low% plays.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam

RealGM
And1: 2,172

Post#17 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:50 pm by KembaWalker

sounds like livingston with a decent 3pt ball. could be a good role player
KembaWalker

Assistant Coach
And1: 333

Post#18 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:00 pm by King d

He will be a nice backup for Brandon the legend Roy
King d
Banned User
And1: 41

Post#19 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:01 pm by Notas A3

Chalk1 wrote:
eltalavk wrote:I like the guy, but he wasn't the 2nd best player for Russia in the olympics, I was really disappointed with his play in London, I hope he can bring everythong to the table in Minny.

Who, Mozgov? Fridzon?

Shved averaged more points than mozgov and .1 point less than Fridzon, and was 3rd in the Olympics in assists.

I'd say as the PG, with questionable backups at that spot, he was the most important player for Russia.

For me, Mozgov and Fridzon were more important in the whole tournament, but Alexey played amazingly against Argentina. But watching his games versus Spain (both ones) and Lithuania where he played pretty bad, was really disappointing, I was expecting a lot more from him. And I'm not hating, because I love the guy and I'm rooting for him to do it well, but he needs to put more effort (a lot) on deffense.
Let's Go Sixers!
Notas A3

Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Post#20 Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved
Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm by Blame Rasho

ManualRam wrote:

pretty good comparison. i think shved's ability to create his own shot is a bit better, but i think barry's decision making was better.
shved's a solid playmaker but he can attempt some pretty risky, low% plays.

We need some Brent Barry Love...

His Crip Walk...

It is shame that most people don't really how smooth the guy was when he was playing... Most people think of him as a deadeye spot up shooter in his later days.
It is illogical to use logic on an illogical person.
Solution...use even more illogical logic to trump their logic.
Things I have learned on the general board this week
Superstars are made in the SL...
Blame Rasho
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 2,114

Next

Return to The General Board