Race to the MVP.

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, Flash3, UGA Hayes, Yuri Vaultin, Mark K, Doctor MJ, NO-KG-AI, magnumt, tsherkin

MixedUp
Junior
Posts: 325
And1: 35
Joined: Jul 24, 2008

Race to the MVP. 

Post#1 » by MixedUp » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:53 am

This is a topic to discuss the current NBA season's MVP award.

Who would you see as the Top contenders at the moment?

I would rate them like this RIGHT NOW:

MVP Rankings na week 1 van de NBA:
10. Kevin Durant
9. Chris Paul
8. Lamarcus Aldridge
7. Chris Bosh
6. Glen Davis
5. LeBron James
4. Tim Duncan
3. Brandon Jennings
2. Carmelo Anthony
1. James Harden

(I know it's only been one week since the start of the season, but this is just nice to discuss)
C-izMe
Banned User
Posts: 6,690
And1: 15
Joined: Dec 11, 2011
Location: Rodman's Rainbow Obamaburger

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#2 » by C-izMe » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:58 am

Duncan should be first. His team is 4-0 and he hasn't had a bad game yet. Harden second, and Melo third.
MixedUp
Junior
Posts: 325
And1: 35
Joined: Jul 24, 2008

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#3 » by MixedUp » Wed Nov 7, 2012 12:01 pm

C-izMe wrote:Duncan should be first. His team is 4-0 and he hasn't had a bad game yet. Harden second, and Melo third.


I think is too hard to deny at this point due to his phenomenal stats compared to the rest of the pack. The fact that his Rockets are doing OK at the moment gives him the No.1 spot.

Remember Melo and Jennings also haven't lost yet! Both players have supposed worse teams than the Spurs and are better individually (more important also) for their teams.

What would your list be? I'm interested
User avatar
Ettorefm
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,755
And1: 1,852
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
 

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#4 » by Ettorefm » Wed Nov 7, 2012 1:04 pm

I can't comment on this until every team plays 10-15 games.
nhh90 wrote:I hoenstly don't know if melo is better than gallinari on that contract.
I feel like he will give you 18 pts-20 pts vs. 23-25 pts next year on 57 ts% instead of 54%. He also costs 10 million dollars less. So it is a wash.
MixedUp
Junior
Posts: 325
And1: 35
Joined: Jul 24, 2008

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#5 » by MixedUp » Wed Nov 7, 2012 1:12 pm

Ettorefm wrote:I can't comment on this until every team plays 10-15 games.


I can understand that! This is what I think for now. We all know this will change within the coming weeks.
User avatar
TheKingOfVa360
Head Coach
Posts: 7,197
And1: 396
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Va DC Metro
         

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#6 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 1:49 pm

1.Harden
2.Melo
3.Duncan
User avatar
bledredwine
General Manager
Posts: 7,754
And1: 1,411
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
   

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#7 » by bledredwine » Wed Nov 7, 2012 2:08 pm

1. Kirk Hinrich
2. J.J. Reddick
3. OJ Mayo
4. J. Crawford
5. C. Anthony
6. J. Harden
7. L. James
8. T. Duncan
9. K. Durant
10.B. Jennings
Image
User avatar
witnessraps
General Manager
Posts: 9,474
And1: 2,951
Joined: Sep 08, 2010
Location: bruno bandwagon
 

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#8 » by witnessraps » Wed Nov 7, 2012 2:32 pm

Duncan and Melo so far from me.
kodo
Head Coach
Posts: 6,496
And1: 1,871
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Location: Wrigleyville

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#9 » by kodo » Wed Nov 7, 2012 3:17 pm

I’d say Duncan or Melo, probably Melo.

MVP voters pay particular attention to contender matchups, more so than overall record. When Rose won MVP Bulls beat Miami in the regular season.

NY has won the matchup vs the Heat.
SAS won the matchup vs OKC.

Houston hasn’t beaten a contender team, closest is Portland.

(1 week MVP voting is fun)
User avatar
OKCThunderUp35
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,422
And1: 10
Joined: May 03, 2012

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#10 » by OKCThunderUp35 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 3:19 pm

kodo wrote:I’d say Duncan or Melo, probably Melo.

MVP voters pay particular attention to contender matchups, more so than overall record. When Rose won MVP Bulls beat Miami in the regular season.

NY has won the matchup vs the Heat.
SAS won the matchup vs OKC.

Houston hasn’t beaten a contender team, closest is Portland.

(1 week MVP voting is fun)

Oh Harden didn't average 35 points vs a Contending team, not MVP worthy
Image
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,453
And1: 341
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#11 » by sisibilio » Wed Nov 7, 2012 3:26 pm

1. Harden
2. Melo
3. LeBron
4. Duncan
5. Marc Gasol
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
Heats_Finest
Banned User
Posts: 2,957
And1: 32
Joined: Jun 27, 2011

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#12 » by Heats_Finest » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:13 pm

Lebron is being hampered by blowouts, twice he hasn't played the 4th quarter. 1st game against Boston didn't play the 4th through injury, and against Denver, didn't play the 4th because of a blowout.

If Miami keep scoring 110's there's sure to be a lot of blowouts with teams that can't score that high, and Lebron's stats are going to take a massive dip. I doubt voters look at per36 numbers when voting lol.
User avatar
DelontesLip
Junior
Posts: 309
And1: 9
Joined: Mar 15, 2012

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#13 » by DelontesLip » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:16 pm

Harden has no chance of winning MVP after this full season.
User avatar
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
Posts: 7,109
And1: 475
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
       

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#14 » by CB-Blazer » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:25 pm

kodo wrote:I’d say Duncan or Melo, probably Melo.

MVP voters pay particular attention to contender matchups, more so than overall record. When Rose won MVP Bulls beat Miami in the regular season.

NY has won the matchup vs the Heat.
SAS won the matchup vs OKC.

Houston hasn’t beaten a contender team, closest is Portland.

(1 week MVP voting is fun)


If I remember correctly, Harden didn't even beat Portland. Correct me if I'm wrong though :D
khufure
Starter
Posts: 2,360
And1: 373
Joined: Jul 07, 2010
Location: California

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#15 » by khufure » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:29 pm

DelontesLip wrote:Harden has no chance of winning MVP after this full season.

I remember thinking the same thing about Rose.. never say never.
User avatar
DelontesLip
Junior
Posts: 309
And1: 9
Joined: Mar 15, 2012

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#16 » by DelontesLip » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:39 pm

khufure wrote:
DelontesLip wrote:Harden has no chance of winning MVP after this full season.

I remember thinking the same thing about Rose.. never say never.



His team had the best record in the league. Houston has no chance at that...and Harden has no chance at MVP
User avatar
Johnny Firpo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,982
And1: 1,122
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
 

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#17 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:42 pm

Heats_Finest wrote:and against Denver, didn't play the 4th because of a blowout.


I think you mixed up the games, that one came down to the last shot.
User avatar
DelontesLip
Junior
Posts: 309
And1: 9
Joined: Mar 15, 2012

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#18 » by DelontesLip » Wed Nov 7, 2012 10:17 pm

While we are drawing early conclusions Harden put up a big 5 pts with 4 turnovers to match in the first half of tonights game. Oh yeah they are losing pretty badly too. There goes his MVP considerations,,,,,
User avatar
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,679
And1: 128
Joined: Jun 29, 2012

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#19 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 10:25 pm

DelontesLip wrote:While we are drawing early conclusions Harden put up a big 5 pts with 4 turnovers to match in the first half of tonights game. Oh yeah they are losing pretty badly too. There goes his MVP considerations,,,,,


Iggy got him locked down.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong


bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
User avatar
DelontesLip
Junior
Posts: 309
And1: 9
Joined: Mar 15, 2012

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#20 » by DelontesLip » Wed Nov 7, 2012 10:33 pm

TwentyOne920 wrote:
DelontesLip wrote:While we are drawing early conclusions Harden put up a big 5 pts with 4 turnovers to match in the first half of tonights game. Oh yeah they are losing pretty badly too. There goes his MVP considerations,,,,,


Iggy got him locked down.


MVP for AI2 :lol:

Return to The General Board