Race to the MVP.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

PeteW
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,584

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#81 » by PeteW » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:04 am

Melo is playing and hustling on defense so far, its just three games but he is blocking shots, talking on d, diving in the stands.. if its mvp so far then Melo is definitely in the discussion.. long term however Is questionable.
osamu
Starter
And1: 249

Post#82 » by osamu » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:59 am

I know New York is doing well to start the season, but I'm not sold on Melo being an MVP. But hey if Rose could win it.
carbine23
Veteran
And1: 84

Post#83 » by carbine23 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:44 am

Melo should be in the MVP discussion, but will he produce the same numbers with Amare? justsayin
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#84 » by kingkirk » Fri Nov 9, 2012 9:54 am

If the race to the MVP is a marathon, we've travelled 300m to date.

Getting all worked up about who said what and who should/shouldn't be on a MVP list at this stage of the season, 1.5 weeks in, seems absurd to me.
Kurospidey
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#85 » by Kurospidey » Fri Nov 9, 2012 10:01 am

I've been impressed with Kyrie Irving this season. He makes so many things so easy on the offensive end. Just one word to describe his game: smooth. It looks almost effortless. What a great talent and a great future for this guy.

This year he's not gonna be mvp but he's gonna be in the discussion in years to come. Obviously if he improves his defensive game it'd be a no brainer but I have no doubt his offensive game will skyrocket. Just inmense talent. I was under the impression from last year that he couldn't pass but it's just he doesn't need it. I've seen a few flashes here and there in that department that have convinced me.
raps_aviator
Pro Prospect
And1: 208

Post#86 » by raps_aviator » Fri Nov 9, 2012 10:51 am

I think Lebron will be dropping 27 ppg, 10 rpg, 7.5 apg by the end of the season which is MVP like numbers
bawse
Junior
And1: 18

Post#87 » by bawse » Fri Nov 9, 2012 11:38 am

raps_aviator wrote:I think Lebron will be dropping 27 ppg, 10 rpg, 7.5 apg by the end of the season which is MVP like numbers

He's never averaged 8+ rpg, what makes you think he'll average 10?
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#88 » by NYK_89 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:16 pm

bawse wrote:
raps_aviator wrote:I think Lebron will be dropping 27 ppg, 10 rpg, 7.5 apg by the end of the season which is MVP like numbers

He's never averaged 8+ rpg, what makes you think he'll average 10?

Well to be fair he had a far bigger rebounding role on this team then any of his previous teams
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#89 » by bledredwine » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:43 pm

lol

Even with the pathetic Heat rebounding,

no chance Lebron averages 10 rebounds per game.

He hasn't even averaged 8 for a season :lol:
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#90 » by JordansBulls » Fri Nov 9, 2012 2:10 pm

NBA4EVA2010 wrote:
ShowTimeERA wrote:Which team as currently constructed without their best player is still a championship team?

clearly not the heat :lol:

How so? They won a championship where Wade was the man already.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
JordansBulls
RealGM

Post#91 » by JordansBulls » Fri Nov 9, 2012 2:11 pm

mademan wrote:Miami without Lebron is on the same level as a team like (healthy) Indiana from last year or Denver. Top 4 seed likely, but not an actual threat to win. There's no way anybody would consider them a contender.

What??? The Heat are still the top seed this season without Lebron in the East with no DRose around.
- Michael Jordan
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#92 » by bigboi » Fri Nov 9, 2012 2:19 pm

JordansBulls wrote:
mademan wrote:Miami without Lebron is on the same level as a team like (healthy) Indiana from last year or Denver. Top 4 seed likely, but not an actual threat to win. There's no way anybody would consider them a contender.

What??? The Heat are still the top seed this season without Lebron in the East with no DRose around.

:lol: Not at all. Take Lebron out and there's like no way that the Heat beat Celtics or the Knicks. Lebron makes the team go, everyone is focusing on stopping him so it gets Wade and Bosh easy buckets. Take him out of the equation, Wade and Bosh have to do more work and tire out towards the end of the season
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#93 » by TheGarden » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:38 pm

bigboi wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:

:lol: Not at all. Take Lebron out and there's like no way that the Heat beat Celtics or the Knicks. Lebron makes the team go, everyone is focusing on stopping him so it gets Wade and Bosh easy buckets. Take him out of the equation, Wade and Bosh have to do more work and tire out towards the end of the season

dude

Heat-LeBron
Bulls-Rose
Knicks-Carmelo
Celtics-Rondo

Heat still have Wade and Bosh
Bulls have the team they have now
Knicks STAT?
Celtics Peirce and Garnett with no one to get them the ball

you guys gotta be kidding me, if anything this shows us that Wade is not a top 5 hell top 10 player if the Heat aren't a contender with him as the #1
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#94 » by bigboi » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:40 pm

TheGarden wrote:
dude

Heat-LeBron
Bulls-Rose
Knicks-Carmelo
Celtics-Rondo

Knicks STAT?

you guys gotta be kidding me, if anything this shows us that Wade is not a top 5 hell top 10 player if the Heat aren't a contender with him as the #1

I didn't say the Heat wouldn't be a great team, they just wouldn't be the first seed
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
JordansBulls
RealGM

Post#95 » by JordansBulls » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:54 pm

bigboi wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:

The Heat already won a title with Wade as the man and driving force and he is still a guy who outplayed Lebron in two series since they have been together including a nba finals. Not to mention the Heat were a top 5 seed without even having Lebron nor Bosh. Now you add Bosh and then you got Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis that team is still a top 1 or 2 seed depending on how the Knicks finish.
- Michael Jordan
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#96 » by TheGarden » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:13 pm

bigboi wrote:
TheGarden wrote:
dude

Heat-LeBron
Bulls-Rose
Knicks-Carmelo
Celtics-Rondo

Knicks STAT?

I didn't say the Heat wouldn't be a great team, they just wouldn't be the first seed

who would be the best team, not the 1 seed because Miami has been the best team in the east but the 2 seed the last 2 years, who would be the best team
C-izMe
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#97 » by C-izMe » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:21 pm

Heat without Lebron is:

Chalmers
Wade
Battier
Lewis
Bosh
--------------
Ray Allen
Joel Anthony
Haslem
Cole

Easily a contender. Wade is still the best SG in the league and before Lebron came he was the second best SG in the league (and is still top 5). Bosh before going to Miami was a top 5 PF and would probably be around 6th without Lebron. They also have Battier, Lewis, Chalmers, and Allen who are all good role players. Miami is still top 3 in the East without Lebron.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#98 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:35 pm

C-izMe wrote:Heat without Lebron is:

Chalmers
Wade
Battier
Lewis
Bosh
--------------
Ray Allen
Joel Anthony
Haslem
Cole

Easily a contender. Wade is still the best SG in the league and before Lebron came he was the second best SG in the league (and is still top 5). Bosh before going to Miami was a top 5 PF and would probably be around 6th without Lebron. They also have Battier, Lewis, Chalmers, and Allen who are all good role players. Miami is still top 3 in the East without Lebron.

You have Rashard Lewis as your starting 4 and Bosh at the 5? On a contender? Rashard barely played for the WIZARDS last year, while shooting 38.5%. And Bosh is a soft 4. There is literally not a big on the team. Which is great when LBJ can cause worse matchups on the other side of the court but laughable when he can't.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#99 » by mademan » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:37 pm

C-izMe wrote:Heat without Lebron is:

Chalmers
Wade
Battier
Lewis
Bosh
--------------
Ray Allen
Joel Anthony
Haslem
Cole

You guys are getting caught up thinking this is the Wade of 2006 or 2011. If he were to revert back to his 2011 self, then yes, of course they would still be an elite team. But I don't see that Wade anymore. The Wade that consistently and efficiently create his own shot against double teams. It's why Lebrons +/- last year was so amazing, even though Wade was almost always on the floor without him.

All you have to do is go back to last years playoffs and look at the +/- numbers. They were an elite team with him on the floor, and a mediocre/bad team with him off. And this is with Wade almost always playing when Lebron was on the bench.
C-izMe
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#100 » by C-izMe » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:41 pm

Wade's +/- was amazing too. What your saying is actually proving this is the same Wade from 11 because his +/- was barely lower in 2012. This is the same Wade that was second in PER despite being injured in most games he played. Going back to the playoffs where he was playing clear #2 and clearly injured (he got his knee drained halfway through the PS) you notice that they didn't win games where Wade didn't play good.

Return to The General Board