The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II

Moderators: Morten Jensen, NO-KG-AI, Knickstape1214, Flash3, magnumt, Blame Rasho, tsherkin, Yuri Vaultin

User avatar
Mark K
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 72,997
And1: 16,111
Joined: Jan 24, 2004
Location: Australia
 

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1006 » by Mark K » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:40 am

Shem wrote:NBA TV is going to do a thing about the Blazers and how they're contenders right now because of Damian Lillard after the commercial break.


Contenders?
"I now truly believe it is impossible for me to make a bad movie." - Jean Claude Van Damme
User avatar
Laure
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,489
And1: 1,344
Joined: Mar 03, 2012
 

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1007 » by Laure » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:05 am

Wonder how Wall/Beal backourt will come along. Alot of potential right there.
Image
User avatar
fishnc
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,083
And1: 448
Joined: Dec 18, 2007

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1008 » by fishnc » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:55 pm

KingCuban wrote:
Shem wrote:NBA TV is going to do a thing about the Blazers and how they're contenders right now because of Damian Lillard after the commercial break.


Contenders?


Playoff contenders.
User avatar
Halcyon
Starter
Posts: 2,097
And1: 95
Joined: Jun 16, 2008
       

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1009 » by Halcyon » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:22 pm

Brad Beal January stats (5 game sample size)
MPG: 38.0
eFG%: 50.6
TS%: 51.9
FG%: 42.0
FT%: 60.0 (1.8/3.0)
3PT%: 56.0 (2.8/5.0)
PPG: 18.2
RPG: 4.0
APG: 3.4
STL: 1.2
BLK: 0.6
TOV: 1.2
USG%: 23.0

Very impressive. Needs to keep shooting well and start to get to the line more.
User avatar
r0cd0gg
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 12,721
And1: 266
Joined: May 29, 2006
Location: detroit roc city

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1010 » by r0cd0gg » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:38 pm

^Those type of numbers are a lot more deserving of ROM than his inefficient December numbers were.
Image
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
User avatar
Halcyon
Starter
Posts: 2,097
And1: 95
Joined: Jun 16, 2008
       

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1011 » by Halcyon » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:01 pm

Agreed. That 3 point % is probably not sustainable but nevertheless, good stuff.
T-Will20
Freshman
Posts: 78
And1: 2
Joined: Jun 23, 2012

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1012 » by T-Will20 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:16 pm



User avatar
RipCity71252
Junior
Posts: 365
And1: 14
Joined: Jul 19, 2008
Location: Just South of Rip City

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1013 » by RipCity71252 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:40 pm

Saw some of the same things from Beal that have me worried going through his game against OKC on synergy. He came off a pick and dropped Ibaka with a nice in and out dribble, stepped back for a jumper and looked like he had sufficient space but Thabo was able to recover and block it.

He again looked good on all the shots were he was able to get space for but still showed that he has trouble hitting tough, close guarded shots.

He's definitely looked more confident the last few weeks and been more aggressive looking for his offense which is what he's going to need to continue to do to develop.
User avatar
Bskey
Veteran
Posts: 2,550
And1: 140
Joined: Jun 16, 2008

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1014 » by Bskey » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:45 pm

Halcyon wrote:Brad Beal January stats (5 game sample size)
MPG: 38.0
eFG%: 50.6
TS%: 51.9
FG%: 42.0
FT%: 60.0 (1.8/3.0)
3PT%: 56.0 (2.8/5.0)
PPG: 18.2
RPG: 4.0
APG: 3.4
STL: 1.2
BLK: 0.6
TOV: 1.2
USG%: 23.0

Very impressive. Needs to keep shooting well and start to get to the line more.


:clap: Good to see.
User avatar
boogie-reke
Head Coach
Posts: 6,920
And1: 236
Joined: Nov 05, 2010
   

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1015 » by boogie-reke » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:55 pm

Basically what's changed with Beal is the 3pt shooting, pretty much.

Considering he's shooting it over 55% I wouldn't find it that encouraging as it's not sustainable - but I still like him alot as a player moving forward, especially cause I think he has that physical nature in him to take the hit and draw more fouls if he went for it once he has a year or two under his belt in the league which would really enhance his game.

Releasing the ball quicker, and focusing alot of getting to the line playing more physical bully style of play accepting to take the hits in the paint should be his priorities imo.
“Its my 2nd year of losing and Im not trying to get used to this.I didnt want to get use to it last year.I had enough of it. Its time to turn it around”
-DeMarcus Cousins

“Rookie or not- Im not letting anybody relax"
-Thomas Robinson
DCsOwn
Junior
Posts: 401
And1: 31
Joined: Jul 07, 2010

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1016 » by DCsOwn » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:03 am

RipCity71252 wrote:Saw some of the same things from Beal that have me worried going through his game against OKC on synergy. He came off a pick and dropped Ibaka with a nice in and out dribble, stepped back for a jumper and looked like he had sufficient space but Thabo was able to recover and block it.

He again looked good on all the shots were he was able to get space for but still showed that he has trouble hitting tough, close guarded shots.

He's definitely looked more confident the last few weeks and been more aggressive looking for his offense which is what he's going to need to continue to do to develop.


Not to be trite, but Thabo does those type of things to a lot of people, he's one of the best defensive players in the league and a guy that's paid to give even elite wings headaches. He did utilize a pump fake later that allowed him to put one in directly in Thabo's face late in the fourth quarter that was a huge basket, he has demonstrated much better athleticism than people give him credit for to get to the basket and finish in traffic, and he has a developing runner/tear drop that should help mitigate any length concerns one might have going forward. And remember, the kid is 19. Refining or significantly improving deficient aspects of his game should happen organically, and that includes quickening his release and developing more ways to get shots off over longer opponents through guile.
DCsOwn
Junior
Posts: 401
And1: 31
Joined: Jul 07, 2010

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1017 » by DCsOwn » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:11 am

boogie-reke wrote:Basically what's changed with Beal is the 3pt shooting, pretty much.

Considering he's shooting it over 55% I wouldn't find it that encouraging as it's not sustainable - but I still like him alot as a player moving forward, especially cause I think he has that physical nature in him to take the hit and draw more fouls if he went for it once he has a year or two under his belt in the league which would really enhance his game.

Releasing the ball quicker, and focusing alot of getting to the line playing more physical bully style of play accepting to take the hits in the paint should be his priorities imo.


He's shooting the three at an unsustainable rate over that time frame, but he's also shot significantly worse at the stripe over that same period than his season average prior to this solid run. That should help mitigate some of the efficiency drop off when he's 3pt rate normalizes (assuming his recent free throw struggles are a blip and not a trend), and he seems to be getting more comfortable with his midrange game lately, so his 2pt % might be ready for a jump as well. Not to mention the fact that he should be getting better shots once Wall returns (assuming he resembles the player we've come to expect him to be at some point after the allstar break), and once NeNe's minutes stabilize.
User avatar
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
Posts: 21,062
And1: 2,219
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
Location: I bet against Kemba Walker and lost

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1018 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:51 am

Getting your shot blocked happens the most during your rookie season. Its nothing that hinders a player going forward. Beals fine.
"Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time" #MoveSmoove
User avatar
mcfly1204
Head Coach
Posts: 7,432
And1: 916
Joined: Oct 31, 2008

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1019 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:57 am

Halcyon wrote:Brad Beal January stats (5 game sample size)
MPG: 38.0
eFG%: 50.6
TS%: 51.9
FG%: 42.0
FT%: 60.0 (1.8/3.0)
3PT%: 56.0 (2.8/5.0)
PPG: 18.2
RPG: 4.0
APG: 3.4
STL: 1.2
BLK: 0.6
TOV: 1.2
USG%: 23.0

Very impressive. Needs to keep shooting well and start to get to the line more.

Not to be a downer, but Beal is also only hitting 35% of his shots inside the arc during that stretch.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
User avatar
orangeparka
Head Coach
Posts: 6,580
And1: 185
Joined: Apr 23, 2010

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1020 » by orangeparka » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:23 am

He's a little jumper-reliant right now, yeah. He should pick it up though. I think he'll be the best wing in this draft, eventually.
Image
User avatar
boogie-reke
Head Coach
Posts: 6,920
And1: 236
Joined: Nov 05, 2010
   

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1021 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:39 pm

I know we're Drummond this Drummond that, Anthony Davis this Anthony Davis that.

But aren't we forgetting someone?

John Henson. This kid has been getting inconsistent minutes, but in the times he got to play a bit more extended minutes he's been straight up dominating the box-score and rebounding the living crap out of the ball.

He's in a messed up situation in terms of minutes in Milwaukee, but whenever this kid plays he leaves his mark on the game it seems.
“Its my 2nd year of losing and Im not trying to get used to this.I didnt want to get use to it last year.I had enough of it. Its time to turn it around”
-DeMarcus Cousins

“Rookie or not- Im not letting anybody relax"
-Thomas Robinson
User avatar
Dark Faze
Veteran
Posts: 2,500
And1: 389
Joined: Dec 27, 2008

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1022 » by Dark Faze » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:45 pm

Beals 3pt shooting isn't sustainable, but neither are the drek wide open mid range and regular FG shooting numbers that he had for the first few months of the season.

The timidness is going away. His FGA are going up each month, as is scoring. And it's going to help him a lot to have Wall back and suck in defenses, because right now spacing is terrible.
User avatar
fishnc
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,083
And1: 448
Joined: Dec 18, 2007

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1023 » by fishnc » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:58 pm

boogie-reke wrote:I know we're Drummond this Drummond that, Anthony Davis this Anthony Davis that.

But aren't we forgetting someone?

John Henson. This kid has been getting inconsistent minutes, but in the times he got to play a bit more extended minutes he's been straight up dominating the box-score and rebounding the living crap out of the ball.

He's in a messed up situation in terms of minutes in Milwaukee, but whenever this kid plays he leaves his mark on the game it seems.


Sometimes I forget the Bucks are even in the league to be honest. They get absolutely zero coverage outside of Milwaukee.
User avatar
boogie-reke
Head Coach
Posts: 6,920
And1: 236
Joined: Nov 05, 2010
   

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1024 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:07 pm

Granted I haven't really seen him that much hence why I said words like box-score and 'it seems' as I don't feel eligible to pass proper judgement and analyze how he played - so I'd love to get a thought by some Bucks fan.

In the times I did see him he dominated offensive rebounds and finished nicely, but took to many outside shots and did some rookie mistakes trying to do too much - nonetheless though his presence was immediately felt. He's just so long.
“Its my 2nd year of losing and Im not trying to get used to this.I didnt want to get use to it last year.I had enough of it. Its time to turn it around”
-DeMarcus Cousins

“Rookie or not- Im not letting anybody relax"
-Thomas Robinson
User avatar
kurtis48239
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 714
Joined: May 19, 2011
       

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1025 » by kurtis48239 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:48 pm

boogie-reke wrote:I know we're Drummond this Drummond that, Anthony Davis this Anthony Davis that.

But aren't we forgetting someone?

John Henson. This kid has been getting inconsistent minutes, but in the times he got to play a bit more extended minutes he's been straight up dominating the box-score and rebounding the living crap out of the ball.

He's in a messed up situation in terms of minutes in Milwaukee, but whenever this kid plays he leaves his mark on the game it seems.

Yea i like him,if we didnt get dre then him and zeller were my 2nd options

Return to The General Board