Race to the MVP pt. II

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Re: Race to the MVP pt. II 

Post#321 » by Darain » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:12 am

One has the best record in the East

The other lost the Wizards this season
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#322 » by Pimpwerx » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:27 am

Melo's numbers are gonna fall off, right about the time his 3pt shooting cools off. His bad shot selection is gonna deep6 his shooting percentage and scoring. He's a career 33% shooter behind the arc, and current;y shooting a 45% clip on career-high volume (double his career average on 3pa, to be exact.

His MVP campaign is gonna crash and burn, mark is down. This race is between Durant and Bron. Durant's expanded his game even more this season, and is playing good defense. Bron is slightly ahead of him in PER, but with the caveat that he hasn't even really started playing hard yet. When he turns up the wick in the second half of the season, he should start getting serious consideration for his 4th MVP trophy. PEACE.
Albert23
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#323 » by Albert23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:29 am

One lost to Houston by 30.

The other is LeBron James.
See how crazy it is to base an entire argument off one game? :crazy: When you look at the whole picture, you see that:
Albert23 wrote:25.5 / 8.6 / 6.8 / 54%FG Image

vs.

27.7 / 6.6 / 2.1 / 45%FG Image
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#324 » by StephNYKurry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:39 am

Knicks hate has morphed into Melo doesn't deserve the MVP lol
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
Albert23
Banned User

Post#325 » by Albert23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:45 am

StephNYKurry wrote:Knicks hate has morphed into Melo doesn't deserve the MVP lol

I like the Knicks, mainly because Chandler, Rasheed, and JKidd are awesome. In all honesty, I don't mind Melo either. But to say he deserves the MVP award when he's shooting 45% while dishing out 2 assists per game is pathetic. I bash on Westrbrook because he's shooting 42%, but at least he's averaging 8 or 9 assists per game.
StephNYKurry
General Manager

Post#326 » by StephNYKurry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:51 am

Albert23 wrote:
StephNYKurry wrote:Knicks hate has morphed into Melo doesn't deserve the MVP lol

I like the Knicks, mainly because Chandler, Rasheed, and JKidd are awesome. In all honesty, I don't mind Melo either. But to say he deserves the MVP award when he's shooting 45% while dishing out 2 assists per game is pathetic. I bash on Westrbrook because he's shooting 42%, but at least he's averaging 8 or 9 assists per game.

Who gives a **** about the stats? Numbers can be manipulated to mean whatever you want them to mean. People have been using that very same flawed logic with Eli Manning for his entire career. It's about impact...not some computer formula.
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#327 » by TheGarden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 am

Pimpwerx wrote:Melo's numbers are gonna fall off, right about the time his 3pt shooting cools off. His bad shot selection is gonna deep6 his shooting percentage and scoring. He's a career 33% shooter behind the arc, and current;y shooting a 45% clip on career-high volume (double his career average on 3pa, to be exact.

His MVP campaign is gonna crash and burn, mark is down. This race is between Durant and Bron. Durant's expanded his game even more this season, and is playing good defense. Bron is slightly ahead of him in PER, but with the caveat that he hasn't even really started playing hard yet. When he turns up the wick in the second half of the season, he should start getting serious consideration for his 4th MVP trophy. PEACE.

you cant make this **** up, dude face facts Melo's here he's arrived, every night its a new excuse for you guys

no advanced stat you bring up with knock his value
Albert23
Banned User

Post#328 » by Albert23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:59 am

StephNYKurry wrote:
Albert23 wrote:

Who gives a **** about the stats? Numbers can be manipulated to mean whatever you want them to mean. People have been using that very same flawed logic with Eli Manning for his entire career. It's about impact...not some computer formula.

You cannot manipulate PPG, RPG, APG, and FG% into anything. I am only offering you facts. Find me some statistics that show Carmelo is better than LeBron, or even Durant. I think Carmelo is .001 or .01 above LeBron in 3PT%, that's a start! Now keep it going.

We can debate impact all day, that is a matter of opinion. I bet LA fans say Kobe has a bigger impact, Chicago says DRose has the biggest impact, OKC says KD, and of course... NY says Melo. Statistically, LeBron and Melo dominate Melo in every aspect and nearly every category, no statistical manipulation needed!

P.S. No need to get angry or swear. And Eli Manning has two SB MVP's, two SB's, threw for ~5000 yards last season.

TheGarden wrote:you cant make this **** up, dude face facts Melo's here he's arrived, every night its a new excuse for you guys

Assists per game and FG% are not that advanced.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#329 » by Pimpwerx » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:04 am

TheGarden wrote:you cant make this **** up, dude face facts Melo's here he's arrived, every night its a new excuse for you guys

No, it's just the truth. Want to wager an avatar bet that Melo not only finishes outside 2nd place for the MVP, but his numbers come crashing back down to earth too? I'd bet he finishes under 40% from 3pt land, and under 25ppg to boot.

As for the MVP thing, he's just getting buckets. Someone mentioned Westbrook, and that's perfect. He has all of Melo's scoring appetite and shot selection, but at least makes others around him better by distributing the ball. Hell, Melo needs to have the team play considerably worse without him.

Durant has the better record and better stats right now. Plus, he dishes out twice the dimes and grabs more rebounds, and plays good defense now. He's gotta be the favorite right now. PEACE.
TheGarden
Banned User

Post#330 » by TheGarden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:10 am

Albert23 wrote:

LeBron is a Point Guard he's suppose to have a lot of assists, Carmelo is playing off of his Point Guards he's a scorer, he scores. His FG% is 47% from a guy who shoots a ton of contested jumpers thats fine.
TheGarden
Banned User

Post#331 » by TheGarden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:11 am

Pimpwerx wrote:

No, it's just the truth. Want to wager an avatar bet that Melo not only finishes outside 2nd place for the MVP, but his numbers come crashing back down to earth too? I'd bet he finishes under 40% from 3pt land, and under 25ppg to boot.

As for the MVP thing, he's just getting buckets. Someone mentioned Westbrook, and that's perfect. He has all of Melo's scoring appetite and shot selection, but at least makes others around him better by distributing the ball. Hell, Melo needs to have the team play considerably worse without him.

Durant has the better record and better stats right now. Plus, he dishes out twice the dimes and grabs more rebounds, and plays good defense now. He's gotta be the favorite right now. PEACE.

tell me why you think Carmelo's numbers will get worse and Durant and LeBron are going to just explode the rest of the year, what have you seen since the end of last year that suggests Carmelo is not a changed player
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Post#332 » by Tron Carter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:15 am

Every good game Melo has this thread turns to ****.
R.I.P Black Mamba
StephNYKurry
General Manager

Post#333 » by StephNYKurry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:15 am

I ain't arguing with stat geeks no more. This isn't about who the best player is, because Lebron wins that every year and twice on Sundays. It's about being the most valuable player to your basketball team, and so far this season, Carmelo has been the most valuable player to his team. Felton, Kidd, Novak, and Brew are all COMPLETELY different players if Melo isn't there, but because of Melo and his impact, those guys are playing great.

My perfect example of a game where the stats didn't bear out Melo's impact is the Spurs game. Didn't shoot as well, but his presence was still felt on every possession. Pop even said as much postgame.

Once again, this ain't about who the best player is of who's having a better year.
TheGarden
Banned User

Post#334 » by TheGarden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16 am

HakeemKnicks wrote:Every good game Melo has this thread turns to ****.

but his TS% is under 60% and KD leads the league in win shares per 48 and LeBron is a walking triple-double, his team beat the Heat without him, when STAT comes back he's going to shoot under 40% from the field and 30% from 3

all this bull is hard to deal with, he's still yet to get any credit
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#335 » by Hero » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:17 am

Melo isn`t gonna continue playing like this so we might as well have fun hyping him up for now :lol:
TheGarden
Banned User

Post#336 » by TheGarden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:25 am

Hero wrote:Melo isn`t gonna continue playing like this so we might as well have fun hyping him up for now :lol:

fixed
bluerain
Junior
And1: 19

Post#337 » by bluerain » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:26 am

Out of the MVP candidates who teams star player didn't score in double digits and missed a game , but his team still won games. I tell you who Anthony. In two key games against Spurs I believe he scored nine, and when he sat out in Miami game. So maybe he is really not as valuable as some Knicks think.
Albert23
Banned User

Post#338 » by Albert23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:26 am

TheGarden wrote:
Albert23 wrote:

LeBron is a Point Guard he's suppose to have a lot of assists, Carmelo is playing off of his Point Guards he's a scorer, he scores. His FG% is 47% from a guy who shoots a ton of contested jumpers thats fine.

LeBron is a Small Forward who isn't "suppose" to do anything. BUT, for the sake of your argument, let's pretend he's a point guard. He get's his 7apg because he's a point guard fine. Are point guards "suppose" to get nearly 9 rebounds per game? Are point guards supposed to shoot 54%, much more efficient then your "scorer" Carmelo Anthony? Carmelo has one just to do, according to you, and he can't even do that job better than Mr. Point Guard who is not "suppose" to be so multi-dimensional.

StephNYKurry wrote:I ain't arguing with stat geeks no more. This isn't about who the best player is, because Lebron wins that every year and twice on Sundays. It's about being the most valuable player to your basketball team, and so far this season, Carmelo has been the most valuable player to his team. Felton, Kidd, Novak, and Brew are all COMPLETELY different players if Melo isn't there, but because of Melo and his impact, those guys are playing great.

My perfect example of a game where the stats didn't bear out Melo's impact is the Spurs game. Didn't shoot as well, but his presence was still felt on every possession. Pop even said as much postgame.

Once again, this ain't about who the best player is of who's having a better year.

I'm glad you're not arguing with stat geeks, facts seem to intimidate you. You say this is not about who the best player is.. I agree. It is about who is having the best season, just as you said! In response to that I say:
Albert23 wrote:25.5 / 8.6 / 6.8 / 54%FG Image

vs.

27.7 / 6.6 / 2.1 / 45%FG Image
TheGarden
Banned User

Post#339 » by TheGarden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:35 am

LeBron is super human, he's Karl Malone with Michael Jordan athleticism, Magic Johnson skills HOWEVER none of that has anything to do with this year's MVP race. LeBron is having an All-Star, All-NBA year but his team is struggling.

Carmelo is playing the game to win. He said he wanted to be a more complete player as did Durant but Carmelo is doing it by making the right basketball plays he doesn't go out of his way to get 4 assists a night, he makes a good pass that leads to an extra pass for a bucket does that make his less valuable than Durant who makes a pass and the guy still makes a shot. He doesn't got get 8 rebounds a night but he gets 6 and boxes out his man so guys like Kidd, Brewer, Smith and Felton can get the rebound and start the break, does that make his less valuable than Durant who has rebound falling to him because his bigs box out opening up opportunities for him and Westbrook to go get rebounds. So watch the games before you knock a player who's having an MVP year.
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#340 » by EscapoTHB » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:46 am

How is Jason Kidd not the met valuable player on the knicks? I mean disregarding stats he seems to bevthe guy who has changed how they play the most.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Return to The General Board