Race to the MVP pt. II

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,892

Re: Race to the MVP pt. II 

Post#41 » by bledredwine » Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:25 am

I still have

Melo
KD
Lebron
Westbrook
Randolph
Duncan
M. Gasol
Paul

Darkhorse candidate: Josh Smith (needs to be recognized more)
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
KDgoat
Senior
And1: 19

Post#42 » by KDgoat » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:20 am

Is that in any particular order?
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,892

Post#43 » by bledredwine » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:29 am

KDgoat wrote:Is that in any particular order?

mine?

Yep, it's roughly in order by what I think.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#44 » by TwentyOne920 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 2:05 pm

Anthony, James, and Durant are not "small forwards".
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#45 » by NYK_89 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 3:44 pm

Lol at laughing at the notion of Carmelo being a top 5 player at this point.
With the players that were considered better like Wade, Howard, Rose(due to injury), Deron and playing like crap
i don't see how you don't move him up
Arguments can be made for CP3 and Kobe vs melo and how they rank in the top 5 after KD/Lebron but considering some of these other players better at this point it is comical to say he is not considered top 5.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,178

Post#46 » by donnieme » Sat Dec 8, 2012 4:16 pm

LBJ-ITALY wrote:I don't get it,Durante is basically a jump shooter,so why does he have so many ft?
He has almost 9ft a game while LBJ that attacks much more the rime has only 6ft!

First, Lebron hasn't been attacking anything this season. Secondly, Durant's arm length makes it tough to strip him or block him when he's driving to the rack without slapping his hands. There really is more to drawing fouls than bumping into everyone in the lane, look at how harden gets a lot of his FTs.
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#47 » by theokie » Sat Dec 8, 2012 4:49 pm

Its really just ignorant when KD, Melo, LeBron or anyone else puts put big numbers in a game and people try to discredit it. 36, 9 and 4 is impressive. A triple double is impressive. People have so much blind hate on there that no matter what a player does, they will grasp at straws trying to discredit it.

"he played a bad team"
"he played too many minutes"
"he gets too much help from the ref"
"not that hard to do that when your team is stacked"

These arguments generally have no merit. Just admit the guy had a good game. If it was so "easy" to put those numbers up everyone would be doing it.
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#48 » by NaturalThunder » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:37 pm

LBJ-ITALY wrote:I don't get it,Durante is basically a jump shooter,so why does he have so many ft?
He has almost 9ft a game while LBJ that attacks much more the rime has only 6ft!

Have you even watched Durant play more than a couple of times this year? He's driving and attacking a lot more than he used to.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#49 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:45 am

theokie wrote:Its really just ignorant when KD, Melo, LeBron or anyone else puts put big numbers in a game and people try to discredit it. 36, 9 and 4 is impressive. A triple double is impressive. People have so much blind hate on there that no matter what a player does, they will grasp at straws trying to discredit it.

"he played a bad team"

These arguments generally have no merit. Just admit the guy had a good game. If it was so "easy" to put those numbers up everyone would be doing it.

I agree 100 percent, let's stop being negative and enjoy the few great players we have left.
osamu
Starter
And1: 249

Post#50 » by osamu » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:54 am

Hero wrote:

SF's are the most complete players right now. LeBron/Durant/Carmelo at their best could arguably be the top 3 players in the league, hell they were at the Olympics

Carmelo a top 3 player in the league... :lol:

:lol:
osamu
Starter
And1: 249

Post#51 » by osamu » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:56 am

fallacy wrote:
28reloaded wrote:Hell Durant is closing in on 50/50/90 :lol:

Durant had 36/9/4 on 53/50/88 shooting tonight

51/46/90 on the season

This guy is gonna be the face of the league in a few years.
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#52 » by TheGarden » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:23 am

theokie wrote:Its really just ignorant when KD, Melo, LeBron or anyone else puts put big numbers in a game and people try to discredit it. 36, 9 and 4 is impressive. A triple double is impressive. People have so much blind hate on there that no matter what a player does, they will grasp at straws trying to discredit it.

"he played a bad team"

here's where I stand on these points

"he played a bad team" - this should never be an excuse to knock a player in my opinion
"he played too many minutes"- he is playing more minutes than other MVP candidates so his numbers should be better
"he gets too much help from the ref"- he does get a ton of calls that are questionable fouls or things refs would let go on if it were say Rudy Gay
"not that hard to do that when your team is stacked"- his team isn't stacked but he plays with another Elite talent which means coaches are less inclined to double, triple and trap KD because it gives Westbrook more room to attack, leaves Martin open or allows driving lanes for finishers like Ibaka and Perkins

KD is an Elite talent but the things people say regarding him in comparison to others is just asinine. Like when guys say he is "way better" than Carmelo, he's not, he may be a better player to some but "way better" is a term that shouldn't be used when comparing these 2, even LBJ. LBJ is way better than Trevor Ariza but he's not way better than Durant or Carmelo

I think WE ALL hype up players to an extent and it takes away the competitive nature of the game for fans. When you say the Knicks have no shot at beating the Heat yet they beat them by 20 twice you hear, well they're going to turn it on in the playoffs, so how are fan bases suppose to feel when people make it seem like only 2 teams and 2 players matter, thats the problem I have with KD, LBJ and the Heat/Thunder
Bravely Done
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#53 » by Bravely Done » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:59 am

TheGarden wrote:

"he played a bad team"

"he played a bad team" - this should never be an excuse to knock a player in my opinion
"he played too many minutes"- he is playing more minutes than other MVP candidates so his numbers should be better
"he gets too much help from the ref"- he does get a ton of calls that are questionable fouls or things refs would let go on if it were say Rudy Gay
"not that hard to do that when your team is stacked"- his team isn't stacked but he plays with another Elite talent which means coaches are less inclined to double, triple and trap KD because it gives Westbrook more room to attack, leaves Martin open or allows driving lanes for finishers like Ibaka and Perkins

KD is an Elite talent but the things people say regarding him in comparison to others is just asinine. Like when guys say he is "way better" than Carmelo, he's not, he may be a better player to some but "way better" is a term that shouldn't be used when comparing these 2, even LBJ. LBJ is way better than Trevor Ariza but he's not way better than Durant or Carmelo

I think WE ALL hype up players to an extent and it takes away the competitive nature of the game for fans. When you say the Knicks have no shot at beating the Heat yet they beat them by 20 twice you hear, well they're going to turn it on in the playoffs, so how are fan bases suppose to feel when people make it seem like only 2 teams and 2 players matter, thats the problem I have with KD, LBJ and the Heat/Thunder

Durant is a lot better than Carmelo Anthony, as is LeBron James, and this is obvious as the sun is bright. This evident through the eye test, statistical analysis, and their impact on their respective teams and franchises. Melo is a very good player, and has a strong case for the MVP this season, but he is not the rare generational talent that LeBron and Durant have proven themselves to be, and continue to prove that they are.
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#54 » by fallacy » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:14 am

Durant's updated On/Off stats for the season

Offensive rating with Durant on the court: 116.1
Offensive rating with Durant on the bench: 102.5

Defensive rating with Durant on the court: 101.5
Defensive rating with Durant on the bench: 110.7

A net rating of twenty two point eight

I don't think people understand how ludicrous that is. If you're a Lebron or Melo fan, don't look at their on/off numbers. Seriously, it will just make you feel bad.

EDIT: and if you're a fan of Harden, REALLY don't look at on/off numbers :lol:
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#55 » by Hero » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:29 am

LeBron James 11-16 FG | 2-3 FT | 5 REB | 7 AST | 24 PTS | +10
GRADE A-

Saturday night was a little reminder that when Dwyane Wade and LeBron James get in a groove, chances are it's curtains for the other team. Sure, the Hornets were undermanned without Anthony Davis and Eric Gordon, but the LeBron-and-Wade connection hasn't looked better this season. LeBron seemed to pull his groin early, but it didn't slow his highlight-reel parade.

Good game by LeBron. He was barely trying too, just getting in the lane and easily dishing to teammates.
dream_catcher_9
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#56 » by dream_catcher_9 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:36 am

fallacy wrote:Durant's updated On/Off stats for the season

I don't think people understand how ludicrous that is. If you're a Lebron or Melo fan, don't look at their on/off numbers. Seriously, it will just make you feel bad.

so basically when he is on the court, OKC is beating their opponents by 15 points a game. :o
fallacy
RealGM

Post#57 » by fallacy » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:38 am

dream_catcher_9 wrote:

so basically when he is on the court, OKC is beating their opponents by 15 points a game. :o

22.8 to be exact

unless I missed something obvious :lol:
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
dream_catcher_9
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#58 » by dream_catcher_9 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:40 am

fallacy wrote:
dream_catcher_9 wrote:

22.8 to be exact

I just meant when he is on the court, not on/off.

If he played the whole game, OKC would win by 15 is what i'm trying to say. That is reaching 96 Bulls.
fallacy
RealGM

Post#59 » by fallacy » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:41 am

dream_catcher_9 wrote:
fallacy wrote:
dream_catcher_9 wrote:

22.8 to be exact

I just meant when he is on the court, not on/off.

If he played the whole game, OKC would win by 15 is what i'm trying to say.

Oh, gotcha. Yup.
:jawdrop:
95 Bulls only won by a rating of 13 a game btw :lol:
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#60 » by TheGarden » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:04 am

Bravely Done wrote:
TheGarden wrote:

"he played a bad team"

Durant is a lot better than Carmelo Anthony, as is LeBron James, and this is obvious as the sun is bright. This evident through the eye test, statistical analysis, and their impact on their respective teams and franchises. Melo is a very good player, and has a strong case for the MVP this season, but he is not the rare generational talent that LeBron and Durant have proven themselves to be, and continue to prove that they are.

and thats why I cant take any of what some of you say serious

Return to The General Board