Race to the MVP pt. II

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Re: Race to the MVP pt. II 

Post#21 » by Darain » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:18 pm

Carmelo might be a top 3 player, top 5 at worst, considering all the other players are having a off season
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#22 » by JordansBulls » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:33 pm

9abovetherim wrote:Sekou Smith ‏@SekouSmithNBA
Welcome to the Kia Race to the MVP party @StephenCurry30 http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/2012-13/index.html
:)

Rank Player

1 Kevin Durant
2 Carmelo Anthony
3 LeBron James
4 Zach Randolph
5 Kobe Bryant
6 Chris Paul
7 Deron Williams
8 Tony Parker
9 Jrue Holiday
10 Stephen Curry

How is Tim Duncan not on this list but Deron Williams, Holiday, Curry and Parker are?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#23 » by Pimpwerx » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:50 pm

I see Durant being listed first, but is this another case of wishful thinking? Last two seasons were the same, with everyone putting KD out in front early, and then quietly disavowing memory of making that claim months later. Do people just really want KD to win it over LBJ, or are some of you seriously considering him to be the lead candidate for MVP? PEACE.
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#24 » by TheGarden » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:03 am

theokie wrote:
TheGarden wrote:

SF's are the most complete players right now. LeBron/Durant/Carmelo at their best could arguably be the top 3 players in the league, hell they were at the Olympics

Carmelo isn't heralded as a top 3 player in the league by anyone. He's had a good start to the season, but 20 games in isn't enough to jump him from a guy who's was 3rd Team All NBA a year ago and made no All NBA teams 2 years ago.

key words are arguably and at their best

I remember a few years ago someone I forget who saying during Carmelo's WCF run he was right behind Kobe and LeBron, well he's better than Kobe now, def better than Wade/Howard now. The only other guys likely ahead of him would be Paul and Rose
ShowTimeERA
Assistant Coach
And1: 208

Post#25 » by ShowTimeERA » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:13 am

TheGarden wrote:
theokie wrote:
TheGarden wrote:

SF's are the most complete players right now. LeBron/Durant/Carmelo at their best could arguably be the top 3 players in the league, hell they were at the Olympics

Carmelo isn't heralded as a top 3 player in the league by anyone. He's had a good start to the season, but 20 games in isn't enough to jump him from a guy who's was 3rd Team All NBA a year ago and made no All NBA teams 2 years ago.

key words are arguably and at their best

I remember a few years ago someone I forget who saying during Carmelo's WCF run he was right behind Kobe and LeBron, well he's better than Kobe now, def better than Wade/Howard now. The only other guys likely ahead of him would be Paul and Rose

Carmelo is not a better player than Kobe (in his 17th season, not sure if its a compliment to Kobe or a negative about Carmelo) nor Howard. Then you go on to say Rose is ahead of him, yet Rose is currently injured and no one knows how his knee is going to react upon return... I don't understand that logic...
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#26 » by TheGarden » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:18 am

ShowTimeERA wrote: Carmelo is not a better player than Kobe (in his 17th season, not sure if its a compliment to Kobe or a negative about Carmelo) nor Howard. Then you go on to say Rose is ahead of him, yet Rose is currently injured and no one knows how his knee is going to react upon return... I don't understand that logic...

Carmelo is better than both Kobe and Dwight. At this stage of his career Kobe is still a great player but no longer the "threat" he used to be". Howard cant even hit FT's and is no longer the headache he used to be and I said people may say Rose is better than him and thats something I wouldn't argue with. Rose tore his ACL stop acting like he's not going to come back and make things happen

edit: LOL you're a Laker nevermind, not doing this tonight
Bigmo5246
Lead Assistant
And1: 37

Post#27 » by Bigmo5246 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 1:07 am

Hero wrote:

Carmelo a top 3 player in the league... :lol:

Why not? If he is focused (like he has been thus far this season), he can easily be top 3. He always has had all the pieces, he just never put it together.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#28 » by TwentyOne920 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 4:02 am

JordansBulls wrote:
Welcome to the Kia Race to the MVP party @StephenCurry30 http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/2012-13/index.html

Rank Player

1 Kevin Durant
2 Carmelo Anthony
3 LeBron James
4 Zach Randolph
5 Kobe Bryant
6 Chris Paul
7 Deron Williams
8 Tony Parker
9 Jrue Holiday
10 Stephen Curry

How is Tim Duncan not on this list but Deron Williams, Holiday, Curry and Parker are?

They think he retired after the Memphis playoff series. :lol:
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#29 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sat Dec 8, 2012 4:42 am

Top 5 right now :

1. Kevin Durant
2. Tim Duncan
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Lebron James
5. Zach Randolph

I'd say this list is pretty solid. Durant has to be first right now honestly. 26.5PPG, 8.5RPG, 4.4APG and his team is 16-4 only percentage points behind Memphis. The Spurs have the same record but TD's stats are a little less gaudy -- but IMO it's a 1a/1b situation with those two.

And while we all know that Lebron's the best player in the world, but his Heat are a game and a half behind the Knicks, w/ Melo putting up 26/7/2/1 on the best efficiency of his career.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#30 » by TwentyOne920 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:08 am

KD can clinch it by gunning for 50/40/90
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Post#31 » by Tron Carter » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:09 am

Rank Player

1 Kevin Durant
2 Carmelo Anthony
3 LeBron James
4 Zach Randolph
5 Kobe Bryant
6 Chris Paul
7 Deron Williams
8 Tony Parker
9 Jrue Holiday
10 Stephen Curry

They need to stop.

And no Duncan?
R.I.P Black Mamba
28reloaded
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#32 » by 28reloaded » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:16 am

Hell Durant is closing in on 50/50/90 :lol:
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#33 » by fallacy » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:22 am

28reloaded wrote:Hell Durant is closing in on 50/50/90 :lol:

Durant had 36/9/4 on 53/50/88 shooting tonight

51/46/90 on the season
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#34 » by Hero » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:24 am

Easy to get 36 points with that many free throws. Not really impressive, just the refs giving him points. :lol:
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#35 » by fallacy » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:26 am

Hero wrote:Easy to get 36 points with that many free throws. Not really impressive, just the refs giving him points. :lol:

still have to make your free throws, ask Lebron and Howard
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#36 » by NaturalThunder » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:31 am

Hero wrote:Easy to get 36 points with that many free throws. Not really impressive, just the refs giving him points. :lol:

Yeah, to be honest, Durant pretty much sucks without the refs. Pretty much his last 300ish games have been a fluke.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,266

Post#37 » by Frank Dux » Sat Dec 8, 2012 7:14 am

TheGarden wrote:
ShowTimeERA wrote: Carmelo is not a better player than Kobe (in his 17th season, not sure if its a compliment to Kobe or a negative about Carmelo) nor Howard. Then you go on to say Rose is ahead of him, yet Rose is currently injured and no one knows how his knee is going to react upon return... I don't understand that logic...

Carmelo is better than both Kobe and Dwight. At this stage of his career Kobe is still a great player but no longer the "threat" he used to be". Howard cant even hit FT's and is no longer the headache he used to be and I said people may say Rose is better than him and thats something I wouldn't argue with. Rose tore his ACL stop acting like he's not going to come back and make things happen

edit: LOL you're a Laker nevermind, not doing this tonight

Says the Knicks fan. We get it, Carmelo is having a wonderful year, but he's still not better than Bryant.

Bryant is scoring more, assisting more, has a better TS%, and a better PER. Oh yeah, and not to mention he's to had play as the Laker's pseudo point guard for much of the year. Sorry, try again.
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#38 » by D Nice » Sat Dec 8, 2012 7:57 am

KDgoat wrote:
JustCame wrote:
fallacy wrote:1. Durant
2. Lebron
3. Melo
(no real chance past this point)
4. Duncan
5. Kobe

Crazy how the top 3 MVP candidates are SFs.

Especially in this combo guard era.
Not really. The 2 best players in the league are small forwards, and Melo has always had the ability to if not rival both guys then be a slight step behind. But yeah. This would be my list as well.
LBJ-ITALY
Pro Prospect
And1: 164

Post#39 » by LBJ-ITALY » Sat Dec 8, 2012 8:19 am

I don't get it,Durante is basically a jump shooter,so why does he have so many ft?
He has almost 9ft a game while LBJ that attacks much more the rime has only 6ft!
Bravely Done
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#40 » by Bravely Done » Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:04 am

LBJ-ITALY wrote:I don't get it,Durante is basically a jump shooter,so why does he have so many ft?
He has almost 9ft a game while LBJ that attacks much more the rime has only 6ft!

There's more to drawing fouls than putting your head down and driving the lane.

Return to The General Board