Race to the MVP pt. III

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

arifgokcen
Rookie
And1: 153

Re: Race to the MVP pt. III 

Post#721 » by arifgokcen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:28 am

KDgoat wrote:Lebron sucked tonight?

Wow. I'd love to have any of my players suck like that on a nightly basis.

This award is still between KD and Lebron. Nothing changed.

Yes
Yes and Yes
:D
LBJ-ITALY
Pro Prospect
And1: 164

Post#722 » by LBJ-ITALY » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:31 am

jayjamesson wrote:Durant's giving it all he's got and that isn't enough to beat Lebron's coasting. And I think it speaks volumes when you have a bad game and still manage to end up with a 30 point triple double.

OKC has a better record than Miami and that puts KD over Lebron! and don't understand how you put Lebron over KD, when KD has a super season and OKC has the best record in the league!
ShowTimeERA
Assistant Coach
And1: 208

Post#723 » by ShowTimeERA » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Lebron had a tremendous game last night but since were talking about being most valuable. Do we forget that Wade took over that game, and time after time Lebron would call Wade over to give him the ball in overtime. Nothing wrong with that but it dismisses those bogus claims of Durant having "help" while Lebron does everything...Wade had a heck of a game as well..

Still

Durant

Lebron/Paul
jayjamesson
Junior
And1: 4

Post#724 » by jayjamesson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:24 pm

KingCuban wrote:
jayjamesson wrote:Durant's giving it all he's got and that isn't enough to beat Lebron's coasting. And I think it speaks volumes when you have a bad game and still manage to end up with a 30 point triple double.

In your opinion.

Of course, as well as every other comment here.
Mine and the NBA as of now, both can change with undeniable proof.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#725 » by branny » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Just imagine if KD was able to carry the Thunder to a win against the Warriors.. Would've been great for his case of MVP. Just the one game I know..
KDgoat
Senior
And1: 19

Post#726 » by KDgoat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 pm

ShowTimeERA wrote:Lebron had a tremendous game last night but since were talking about being most valuable. Do we forget that Wade took over that game, and time after time Lebron would call Wade over to give him the ball in overtime. Nothing wrong with that but it dismisses those bogus claims of Durant having "help" while Lebron does everything...Wade had a heck of a game as well..

Still

Durant

Lebron/Paul

I fail to see how involving your teammates is a bad thing. Is it because he didn't do it all by himself, perhaps fail in the process?

No matter how much I'm rooting for KD as opposed to Lebron, people are still pulling this flimsy argument out of thin air. I'd rather have my top player make the right plays at the right time, involve teammates when they have a better chance or opportunity, than have him chuck away on a nightly basis, obviously detrimental to the team as a social entity and to the team performance, because Kareem is calling to him in his sleep.

O snap.
FlashFlare
RealGM
And1: 30,615

Post#727 » by FlashFlare » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 pm

ShowTimeERA wrote:Lebron had a tremendous game last night but since were talking about being most valuable. Do we forget that Wade took over that game, and time after time Lebron would call Wade over to give him the ball in overtime. Nothing wrong with that but it dismisses those bogus claims of Durant having "help" while Lebron does everything...Wade had a heck of a game as well..

Still

Durant

Lebron/Paul

TBH LeBron didn't really look that impressive or completely into the game last night. Then you look at the statline and are like, "Really?!" Just speaks to this guy's greatness.

Wade was great too and had the hot hand. Like they say, feed the hot hand. LeBron did that. Nothing wrong with that.
100% WADEaboo
bbms
Analyst
And1: 533

Post#728 » by bbms » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Durant is at 125 offensive rating.

Come on. Chris Paul is 127 on much less usage and scoring.

Durant is the best offensive player in the NBA by a margin.
bbms
Analyst

Post#729 » by bbms » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:34 pm

DatD-Wade3 wrote:TBH LeBron didn't really look that impressive or completely into the game last night. Then you look at the statline and are like, "Really?!" Just speaks to this guy's greatness.

Wade was great too and had the hot hand. Like they say, feed the hot hand. LeBron did that. Nothing wrong with that.

You can make the same statement on Durant's performances against Dallas and Denver...
ShowTimeERA
Assistant Coach
And1: 208

Post#730 » by ShowTimeERA » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:36 pm

KDgoat wrote:

Still

Durant

Lebron/Paul

I fail to see how involving your teammates is a bad thing. Is it because he didn't do it all by himself, perhaps fail in the process?

No matter how much I'm rooting for KD as opposed to Lebron, people are still pulling this flimsy argument out of thin air. I'd rather have my top player make the right plays at the right time, involve teammates when they have a better chance or opportunity, than have him chuck away on a nightly basis, obviously detrimental to the team as a social entity and to the team performance, because Kareem is calling to him in his sleep.

O snap.

Nothing wrong with what Lebron did last night. Problem is if were Durant who had deferred and Westbrook carry the load down the stretch, those certain individuals would have been here right away pointing out how Westbrook is the MVP, Durant has too much help, etc.
kamelion4291
Banned User
And1: 58

Post#731 » by kamelion4291 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:39 pm

bbms wrote:Durant is at 125 offensive rating.

And Tyson Chandler is above both at 138. Clearly a useful measure of one's offensive ability.

Also, Durant is not the best "offensive player" in the NBA. That's LeBron. He's probably the best "scorer" in the NBA though. That's a clear distinction that you need to make. (Edit: He hasn't been better than LeBron at scoring this season anyway factoring out the gigantic and undeserved free throw advantage he gets)
Th3RaptorSwag
Analyst
And1: 507

Post#732 » by Th3RaptorSwag » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm

1. Durant
2. LBJ
Toronto Raptors
Orlando Magic
bbms
Analyst

Post#733 » by bbms » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:01 pm

kamelion4291 wrote:

And Tyson Chandler is above both at 138. Clearly a useful measure of one's offensive ability.

Also, Durant is not the best "offensive player" in the NBA. That's LeBron. He's probably the best "scorer" in the NBA though. That's a clear distinction that you need to make. (Edit: He hasn't been better than LeBron at scoring this season anyway factoring out the gigantic and undeserved free throw advantage he gets)

It's an objective measure upon the simple counting of points generated per play. It's a very useful efficiency stat specially given that Durant is a 30% USG and Chandler is just 14%. You can't compare two guys in a totally different role for their offenses. Given the amount of possessions Chandler handles a game, he and Durant are two different animals for the sake of compatison. However, any player who gives you 125 points generated per 100 possessions, while being the focus of offense, is a damn good offensive player.

No, Durant is better than LeBron offensively, by a clear margin.
arifgokcen
Rookie
And1: 153

Post#734 » by arifgokcen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 pm

No he is not the best offensive player.He is the best scorer though by a big margin.

Best offensive player is Lebron by a margin.Durant as good as he is is not a playmaker.Sure he improved his playmaking skills but he will never be a natural distributer.Lebron scores 30ppg just as effectively but he does that while dishing out 10apg

That said KD has the lead at the moment.As historical as KD playing,lebron is still superior in every facet of the game except scoring and he is not that behind in that regard too.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#735 » by Pimpwerx » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:50 pm

The win record argument is a bit deceiving. Nash won his 2nd while 9 games out of first in the West. Duncan won his first while 3 games out of first in the West. Bron won his last year while 4 games out of first in the East. I think strong MVP candidates just get a nod, as long as their team is good. There's still a lot of basketball left to play. I assume most sports writers are my age, or older, and not prone to rash, knee-jerk reactions like most people in this thread. I don't think guys are changing their MVP vote after every game or even every shift in the standings. PEACE.
kamelion4291
Banned User
And1: 58

Post#736 » by kamelion4291 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 pm

bbms wrote:
kamelion4291 wrote:

It's an objective measure upon the simple counting of points generated per play. It's a very useful efficiency stat specially given that Durant is a 30% USG and Chandler is just 14%. You can't compare two guys in a totally different role for their offenses. Given the amount of possessions Chandler handles a game, he and Durant are two different animals for the sake of compatison. However, any player who gives you 125 points generated per 100 possessions, while being the focus of offense, is a damn good offensive player.

No, Durant is better than LeBron offensively, by a clear margin.

LeBron runs the offense. He's a much, much better passer than Durant is. That goes with being an offensive player. They're equivalent scorers and even if you want to say that Durant is a better scorer, LeBron is a much better passer and playmaker. I'm not sure how you gloss over that large advantage LeBron has. Being an offensive player isn't just scoring. Nash has been one of the best offensive players in the league and he never put up big scoring numbers.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#737 » by Hero » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:59 pm

QPR wrote:Yep, Durant's insane play in the fourth against the Clippers is rendered completely meaningless by missing a three and a free throw against GS.

He missed multiple shots in the fourth, free throw and also made a turnover on the possession they could have tied the game with. OKC had no business losing that game with how ahead they were.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#738 » by LikeABosh » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 pm

ShowTimeERA wrote:
Nothing wrong with what Lebron did last night. Problem is if were Durant who had deferred and Westbrook carry the load down the stretch, those certain individuals would have been here right away pointing out how Westbrook is the MVP, Durant has too much help, etc.

Just like what you're doing. Gotcha
KDgoat
Senior
And1: 19

Post#739 » by KDgoat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 pm

ShowTimeERA wrote:
KDgoat wrote:

Still

Durant

Lebron/Paul

O snap.

Come now, we both know that hardly ever happens. It's some sort of exceptional situation that is only reserved for Lebron.
Tien
Banned User
And1: 51

Post#740 » by Tien » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:04 pm

bbms wrote:No, LeBron is better than Durant offensively, by a clear margin.

This reads much better.

Return to The General Board