Can Wade reach 1000 blocks?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

1000 blocks

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 69

SummitAllstar
Senior
And1: 578

Re: Can Wade reach 1000 blocks? 

Post#21 » by SummitAllstar » Mon Dec 2, 2013 10:59 pm

Real nice break down by Tom Haberstoh in this article with graphs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/19125/inside-dwyane-wades-all-time-blocks-mark

Most of his blocks are against players 6-6 or taller. Surprisingly one of his two most blocked players are Dwight Howard (very impressive):

Nine blocks: Howard and Johnson.

Eight blocks: Vince Carter, Andre Miller.

Seven blocks: Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose, Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, Baron Davis, John Salmons, Larry Hughes.

Six blocks: Brook Lopez, Russell Westbrook, Rashard Lewis, Marquis Daniels, Jameer Nelson.

Five blocks: Pau Gasol, Danny Granger, David West, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, Gilbert Arenas, Courtney Lee, Cuttino Mobley, DeMar DeRozan, Stephen Jackson.

(Also, does anyone know if there is a way to find this kind of breakdown for other players).
LeBron James: "I feel real good about our team, why wouldn't I? I'm on the team,"
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#22 » by homecourtloss » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:17 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
Chosen01 wrote:Huh, Tyreke is 6'6. Doubt Wade Wade gets 1000, will stil go down as the best shot blocking guard in history though IMO.

Jordan?

Wade's block % is much higher than Jordan's. After the '87-'88 season (when Jordan was 25 years old and far from his physical decline), Jordan's block % was at about 1% -- 1.5% in every season until his retirement.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,788

Post#23 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:28 am

kingjames623 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Chosen01 wrote:Huh, Tyreke is 6'6. Doubt Wade Wade gets 1000, will stil go down as the best shot blocking guard in history though IMO.

Jordan?

Wade's block % is much higher than Jordan's. After the '87-'88 season (when Jordan was 25 years old and far from his physical decline), Jordan's block % was at about 1% -- 1.5% in every season until his retirement.

When it comes to shot blocking, I'm much more interested in seeing actual blocks and Jordan delivered as the best guard in NBA history. I'm not counting Danny Fortson as an all time great NBA rebounder because his rebound percentage was high.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Chosen01
RealGM
And1: 534

Post#24 » by Chosen01 » Tue Dec 3, 2013 1:45 pm

Except Wade will likely have more blocks than Jordan by the time he retires anyways. So you WILL see more blocks assuming you watched every single game of each player.
Miaheatfan3
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#25 » by Miaheatfan3 » Tue Dec 3, 2013 2:08 pm

I think he can reach it, and it would be such a nice acomplishment...
334 blocks left.. he's been averaging 1 block per game his whole career, he is 31 and if he retires at 37-38 (6 more seasons) he can get to those 1000.
Next question.. can he reach 2000 steals? Has any guard ever had 2000 steals and 1000 blocks in his career?
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#26 » by heat4life » Tue Dec 3, 2013 3:09 pm

I heard him speak the other day about his blocks and it seemed as if it was important to him, more than steals. Wade is a determined player and I could see where he tries to surpass Jordan as a goal if he plays 70 games a season for the rest of his career. From the 893 that Jordan has to 1000, it is not too far but it will all depend on his health. I personally think he can do it.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#27 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Dec 3, 2013 4:27 pm

kingjames623 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

Jordan?

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1286143&p=37615515#p37615515
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#28 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Dec 3, 2013 4:41 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:There were no odds to defy for Wade. At 6'5" in shoes, 220+ pounds, with a 6'11" wingspan, and to top it all off great athleticism, he has above average physical attributes for his position.

Elite physical attributes. I don't even think it's arguable.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,135

Post#29 » by heatwillbeback » Tue Dec 3, 2013 6:33 pm

People forget he was a legitimate point guard his rookie season. We played him, Eddie Jones, Cb4, Lamar Odom, and Brian Grant that season. Wade defended pg's.

He developed the weight over time, but he was always thought of as a big pg, smaller sg combo guard early on. Nowadays that has changed but when he came into the league it was an issue.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#30 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Dec 3, 2013 7:59 pm

heatwillbeback wrote:People forget he was a legitimate point guard his rookie season. We played him, Eddie Jones, Cb4, Lamar Odom, and Brian Grant that season. Wade defended pg's.

He developed the weight over time, but he was always thought of as a big pg, smaller sg combo guard early on. Nowadays that has changed but when he came into the league it was an issue.

On offense, Wade was always the PG throughout his career before LeBron came. Playing next to Jason Williams/Mario Chalmers/Carlos Arroyo/whoever didn't change that. Wade was the one with the ball in his hands the majority of the time. He was the primary ball-handler and playmaker. That's the definition of a PG.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#31 » by TruSkool » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:05 pm

dike77 wrote:almost 10 years to reach 676

So he would need another five years on high level...so the answer is no.

Of course he "can" but he wont...

so he cant lol
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,988

Post#32 » by DayofMourning » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:10 pm

Wade won't reach 1000 blocks but he could come close to Jordan. Jordan's total was kind of thrown out there for comparison, but Wade has been blocking a shot a game in his career so far, which is better than Jordan's 900 in 1100 pace. He could decline and we could see that number go down, moreso due to injury, but its safe to say that if he played the same amount of games that MJ did that he would have as many or more blocks. Wade blocks everyone too. He doesn't discriminate. I have no problem saying he's the best shot blocking guard of all time.
Chosen01
RealGM

Post#33 » by Chosen01 » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:12 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
heatwillbeback wrote:People forget he was a legitimate point guard his rookie season. We played him, Eddie Jones, Cb4, Lamar Odom, and Brian Grant that season. Wade defended pg's.

On offense, Wade was always the PG throughout his career before LeBron came. Playing next to Jason Williams/Mario Chalmers/Carlos Arroyo/whoever didn't change that. Wade was the one with the ball in his hands the majority of the time. He was the primary ball-handler and playmaker. That's the definition of a PG.

Actually no. When Jason Williams was on the Heat, Wade played a lot off the ball. Jason Williams was pretty much the only REAL PG Miami has had in in years.
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#34 » by Cyrusman122000 » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:16 pm

Chosen01 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

Actually no. When Jason Williams was on the Heat, Wade played a lot off the ball. Jason Williams was pretty much the only REAL PG Miami has had in in years.

What about Tim Hardaway?
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#35 » by LastNameEver » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:17 pm

Chosen01 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

You can throw Gary Payton in there too. Past his prime, but was decent
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#36 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:23 pm

Chosen01 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

Eh, Wade's assist % from 06-07 to 09-10 was 40%. That's very high, PG level. Williams may have relieved him more than other guys Wade played with but Wade clearly did more of the creating for teammates.

And even so, Williams left in 08 so there was a couple more years before LeBron.
Chosen01
RealGM

Post#37 » by Chosen01 » Tue Dec 3, 2013 9:28 pm

Cyrusman122000 wrote:
What about Tim Hardaway?

That's why I said "in years"

sixerswillrule wrote:
Chosen01 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

Eh, Wade's assist % from 06-07 to 09-10 was 40%. That's very high, PG level. Williams may have relieved him more than other guys Wade played with but Wade clearly did more of the creating for teammates.

And even so, Williams left in 08 so there was a couple more years before LeBron.

Was strictly talking about the Heat's championship year, J-Will declined badly the following year. And just because someone's assist percentage is high doesn't necessarily make them the team's PG. Wade has always been the team's best play maker before LeBron but as I said, to me there's a difference being a great playmaker and being the PG of the team. When I argue what a real pg is, I see a player who can orchestrate the offense efficiently, Williams did that. It allowed Wade to play off the ball, no doubt Wade still had the ball in his hands a lot.

Same way KG's assist percentage was 27% and had 5.7apg in one season but he clearly wasn't the PG of the team.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#38 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Dec 3, 2013 9:59 pm

Chosen01 wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:
What about Tim Hardaway?

That's why I said "in years"

sixerswillrule wrote:
Chosen01 wrote:Actually no. When Jason Williams was on the Heat, Wade played a lot off the ball. Jason Williams was pretty much the only REAL PG Miami has had in in years.

Was strictly talking about the Heat's championship year, J-Will declined badly the following year. And just because someone's assist percentage is high doesn't necessarily make them the team's PG. Wade has always been the team's best play maker before LeBron but as I said, to me there's a difference being a great playmaker and being the PG of the team. When I argue what a real pg is, I see a player who can orchestrate the offense efficiently, Williams did that. It allowed Wade to play off the ball, no doubt Wade still had the ball in his hands a lot.

Same way KG's assist percentage was 27% and had 5.7apg in one season but he clearly wasn't the PG of the team.

Yeah, so starting in 06-07 Wade did even more. That was my initial point, someone said Wade was a PG in his first year or two and I said to look at all the later years until LeBron as well. Also there's a big difference between 27% and 40%, and between assists from the high post and assists as a guard. 40 ast% is very high. Wade had help running the offense but he was the primary guy.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,135

Post#39 » by heatwillbeback » Tue Dec 3, 2013 11:22 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:

I agree with this mostly. Thing is, positions on offense don't mean all to much. It's about who you defend. Wade has defended shooting guards pretty exclusively from when Damon jones took the starting job from rasual butler wades second season. Doesn't change what the thoughts were when he entered the league.
Zasterror
RealGM
And1: 10,019

Post#40 » by Zasterror » Tue Dec 3, 2013 11:26 pm

No, he won't reach 1000, he simply hasn't or will not play enough games to do so.
But regardless, he is still the best shotblocking guard in history.

Return to The General Board