laMarcus Aldridge named WC player of the week for 2nd time

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

laMarcus Aldridge named WC player of the week for 2nd time 

Post#1 » by Jack wore plaid » Mon Dec 9, 2013 7:42 pm

NBA.com/Stats ‏@nbastats 4m
WC Player of the Week @Aldridge_12 avg. 26.3 Pts, 12.8 Rebs, 4.5 Asts as @TrailBlazers went 3-1 on the week, including wins over Indy & OKC

Guy has really turned into a dominant player this year.

Clearly the best PF in the league right now
taufblazers33
Starter
And1: 650

Re: laMarcus Aldridge named WC player of the week for 2nd ti 

Post#2 » by taufblazers33 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 7:43 pm

well deserved! Aldridge for mvp
ADawg22 wrote:Cavs announcer sounds like he has an orgasm everytime one of their players score.
NeZoRiL
Junior
And1: 39

Post#3 » by NeZoRiL » Mon Dec 9, 2013 7:44 pm

Aldridge winning the MVP would be an amazing story indeed.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#4 » by MaxRider » Mon Dec 9, 2013 7:48 pm

MVP
MVP
MVP
dike77
Banned User
And1: 249

Post#5 » by dike77 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 7:50 pm

Im not hating on LMA, he is a great player with great looking stats but if you are digging into advanced stats they dont look so great anymore.

I mean if you are looking at his TS%, he is pretty much the B.Jennings among the best bigmen. Since years.

He need to improve here to become truly a superstar....
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Post#6 » by ADoaN17 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:00 pm

dike77 wrote:Im not hating on LMA, he is a great player with great looking stats but if you are digging into advanced stats they dont look so great anymore.

I mean if you are looking at his TS%, he is pretty much the B.Jennings among the best bigmen. Since years.

Have you watched him play? He isn't camping around the rim making layups and dunks.... he creates his own shot facing up and is the go to scorer for the Blazers.
taufblazers33
Starter

Post#7 » by taufblazers33 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:03 pm

dike77 wrote:Im not hating on LMA, he is a great player with great looking stats but if you are digging into advanced stats they dont look so great anymore.

If you watch him play, he's clearly the best PF in the league right now and he's a big part of why the Blazers have been so successful this season. He's practically unguardable in the mid-range game. I'm not sure of what others on here think of him, but he's a superstar in my opinion.
ADawg22 wrote:Cavs announcer sounds like he has an orgasm everytime one of their players score.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,254

Post#8 » by monopoman » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:07 pm

Indeed, Aldridge does not get the majority of his points on put backs and baskets around the rim.

He is basically a mid-range player because that is what the offense demands of him. He also is called upon to carry the team from time to time, especially in the 4th when he is the primary focus of the opposing teams defense.

Aldridge is basically the only player on this team that takes mid-range shots for the most part.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#9 » by matt6715 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:14 pm

Call me crazy, but I find it hard to call him the Player of the week when he was completely outclassed by Dirk head-to-head in a loss...
taufblazers33
Starter

Post#10 » by taufblazers33 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:18 pm

matt6715 wrote:Call me crazy, but I find it hard to call him the Player of the week when he was completely outclassed by Dirk head-to-head in a loss...

He was not outclassed by Dirk. I would take LMA over Dirk easily, who has passed his prime.
dike77
Banned User

Post#11 » by dike77 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:22 pm

ADoaN17 wrote:Have you watched him play?

lol

Im writing "if you dig into the advanced stats you see..." and straight all the Blazers fans jump out "have you watched him", totally ignoring the stats argument... :roll:

He isn't camping around the rim making layups and dunks.... he creates his own shot facing up and is the go to scorer for the Blazers.

Again lol. This is the burden of any franchise bigmen or go to guy, so why this should be an excuse for his TS%?

I dont wanna bring up again this LMA-Dirk discussion again, but why Dirk is able to score 21.2PPG on 60TS% and LMA gets excused for his 23.1PPG on his 52%TS? I mean 52TS% is awful for any big or MVP candidate. Same with the 53.6TS% career average.

I mean in terms of TS this percentage-gap is the size of the Grand Canyon...
dike77
Banned User

Post#12 » by dike77 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:26 pm

taufblazers33 wrote:
matt6715 wrote:Call me crazy, but I find it hard to call him the Player of the week when he was completely outclassed by Dirk head-to-head in a loss...

He was not outclassed by Dirk. I would take LMA over Dirk easily, who has passed his prime.

He was outclassed, take of your homer glasses. He just started to get better when Dirk couldnt play any D anymore after getting this lame ass third foul. He couldnt try to strip him anymore...

And dont get whats the point of "i take LMA over Dirk, who has passed his prime" in the argument that LMA got outclassed by Dirk in the game.

And of course everyone would take LMA over Dirk to start a franchise right now, duh.
CoachKobe
Rookie
And1: 312

Post#13 » by CoachKobe » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:26 pm

taufblazers33 wrote:

don't know, talking about this season?
PER
LMA 22.7
Dirk 23.5

TS
LMA 51.9%
Dirk 60.1%

ORTG-DRTG
LMA +6
Dirk +12

WS
LMA 2.7
Dirk 2.9

WS/48
LMA .167
Dirk .202

+- on 100 possessions
LMA +8.2
Dirk +22.4

I'd say Nowitzki is easily the better resp. more influential player.
taufblazers33
Starter

Post#14 » by taufblazers33 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:32 pm

dike77 wrote:
taufblazers33 wrote:

He was outclassed, take of your homer glasses. He just started to get better when Dirk couldnt play any D anymore after getting this lame ass third foul. He couldnt try to strip him anymore...

And dont get whats the point of "i take LMA over Dirk, who has passed his prime" in the argument that LMA got outclassed by Dirk in the game.

And of course everyone would take LMA over Dirk to start a franchise right now, duh.

how am i being homer? I live in Chicago and am both a Bulls and Blazers fan
blazersfan52
Senior
And1: 224

Post#15 » by blazersfan52 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:33 pm

Of course people make this into an argument that this player is better than him, who cares he won, why because the voters thought he deserved it, personally I don't like advanced stats, its one thing if its something like percentage of offensive rebounds or true shooting percentage, but things like per are just dumb, so a player averages 6 points every 12 minutes, so that means in per 36 hes gonna get 18, thats not the truth, he might get more, he might get less, just let us Blazers fans be glad that he was voted instead of trying to rain on our parade
dreamcloud
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#16 » by dreamcloud » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:40 pm

Why does every blazer thread always get derailed by Dallas fans? Don't understand why they keep being brought up randomly and having things turn into unnecessary arguments.
steamed hams
General Manager
And1: 19,431

Post#17 » by steamed hams » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:41 pm

taufblazers33 wrote:
dike77 wrote:
taufblazers33 wrote:

Uh yeah... there's your answer. Aldridge is better cause him and Lillard are jacking up more shots than last year. He's attempting 3 more FGA per game, and pretty much the same advanced stats as last year. Lillard is actually shooting worse than last year. I expect Aldridge and the Blazers to cool down as the season progresses, and eventually for them to take a dump in the playoffs.
dreamcloud
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#18 » by dreamcloud » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:55 pm

sosallycanwait wrote:
taufblazers33 wrote:
dike77 wrote:

Uh yeah... there's your answer. Aldridge is better cause him and Lillard are jacking up more shots than last year. He's attempting 3 more FGA per game, and pretty much the same advanced stats as last year. Lillard is actually shooting worse than last year. I expect Aldridge and the Blazers to cool down as the season progresses, and eventually for them to take a dump in the playoffs.

If you say the blazers top 2 scorers are in a slump shooting wise, wouldn't they be likely to improve, not cool off? Maybe record wise they won't keep this pace, but I imagine their numbers getting up, which it has been this past week for both.
dike77
Banned User

Post#19 » by dike77 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:56 pm

blazersfan52 wrote:just let us Blazers fans be glad that he was voted instead of trying to rain on our parade

I understand, but when OP writes

Jack wore plaid wrote:Clearly the best PF in the league right now

then it turns into a discussion thread. Sure not every advanced stat is useful and using PER36 numbers on bench players with 10-12min is just stupid but you cant ignore them. Specially if you compare so similar players like LMA and Dirk.

I mean, you look a Portland game, you look the stats and you really really like LMA (i like him too). Then you dig into advanced stats and you starting to get really disappointed ("uh wtf, they are so bad")...you look at Kevin Loves stats and love them. But then you realize they are not translating into wins or making the other player better. You look at griffins numbers and they are really nice but then you see a game and you know you wont win a ring with the way he plays.

Then you look at older guys whose total numbers doesnt look so great anymore because of reduced minutes and at some nights they LOOK really old..but you see their advanced stats and you are just wow.

Fun fact: Ask the coaches who they choose for their FC to win it all this season and you wont here much LMA/Howard or Love/Drummond. Probably most of the time you would hear Dirk/Duncan. And isnt this the best PF and C in the game? The one that gives you the biggest chance to win right now? And not the one with the longer future etc?

I think LMA is great but for the superstar/MVP level he needs to improve on certain aspects. Scoring efficiency is the biggest. But im not sure if he is able to lift it to superstar level...
aol4532
Bench Warmer
And1: 158

Post#20 » by aol4532 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 9:33 pm

blazersfan52 wrote:Of course people make this into an argument that this player is better than him, who cares he won, why because the voters thought he deserved it, personally I don't like advanced stats, its one thing if its something like percentage of offensive rebounds or true shooting percentage, but things like per are just dumb, so a player averages 6 points every 12 minutes, so that means in per 36 hes gonna get 18, thats not the truth, he might get more, he might get less, just let us Blazers fans be glad that he was voted instead of trying to rain on our parade

PER and PER36 min are not the same. Aldridge is averaging lower PER, but his minutes are higher than Dirk. He's probably slightly better than Dirk defensively, so I think Aldridge is slightly better.

Return to The General Board