Chicago Off-season/Melo [Merged]

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Chicago Off-season/Melo [Merged] 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:39 pm

With Rose's future questionable and the Bulls playing this poorly, have they eliminated themselves from Melo contention? He says it's about winning and there isn't much in Chicago.
MiamiHeat04
Starter
And1: 134

Re: Is the Bulls Poor Play Ruining the Melo Audition? 

Post#2 » by MiamiHeat04 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:43 pm

They have made the playoffs the last 2 seasons without a top 10 scorer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#3 » by tsherkin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:47 pm

I think that their ability to compete without any kind of serious offensive force on their team and their continued defensive ability is more of a boon to the notion that Melo should go there than anything else, honestly. Whether or not they win is predicated on their offensive ability right now, and given their roster, it's hardly a surprise that they're struggling. They're in it, so I don't think their play is ruining anything.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,717

Post#4 » by HotRocks34 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:52 pm

I think it's the opposite, actually.

If the Bulls go out in Round 1, then Melo gets to come in and play savior. I think many people feel the Bulls have the grit and toughness to do well in the playoffs, they just need more scoring.

This could be a good result for Melo, if Chicago loses in Round 1.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
bbalnation
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#5 » by bbalnation » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:53 pm

I don't think how poorly they do in the playoffs is significant at all in Melo's eyes. The only way their play is signficant in his decision is if they do really well and win a series or two, where it's an added bonus.

Melo's already pretty much said that he's impressed with the Bulls getting to the playoffs when he was complimenting Thibs. He sees the roster, he knows that it's missing a key piece or two (ahem, him/Rose, ahem), and is super impressed with the coaching staff.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#6 » by monopoman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:57 pm

Speaking as someone that has always felt Melo was somewhat overrated. I think the Bulls are the most ideal target for him, he gets to be their prolific scorer (depending on Roses health) and they can take his defense being lackluster at times if need be.

If Rose gets healthy and they can find a way to work together which shouldn't be that hard they could go pretty damn far in the playoffs. Even without Rose I think that Bull's team could ideally go pretty far in the playoffs.
cavs4life03
Starter
And1: 782

Post#7 » by cavs4life03 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:03 pm

i think the bull have actually way over achieved this season and last season is not like they are getting blown out they are competing and playing with heart without their superstars they make no excuses if i were melo ill sign there. The bulls got my respect never seem a team play with more heart and passion like they do congrats to them.
young players + cap space + draft picks = bright future
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#8 » by kobe808lak » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Meh they over achieved in the regular season to get their seed. I don't think it makes any difference to Melo. It is still an attractive destination for him. He would handle the offense and their D would still be legit. Add Rose coming back and that is a very good squad... depending on what parts they have to sell off to afford Melo.
Atmanne
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#9 » by Atmanne » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:06 pm

I would hope Melo isn't that knee jerk. Can we at least wait until they lose the series, or see how badly they end up losing?
xStanton27
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#10 » by xStanton27 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:08 pm

itll be crazy to see both Houston and Chicago go down in the first round, being the two most obvious suitors for Melo
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#11 » by Scalabrine » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:17 pm

the Bulls wont have enough money for Melo so it doesnt matter
Go Knicks!
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#12 » by Bluewaterheaven » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:31 pm

What is Melo seeing? A gritty defensive team, who is missing its star, and would have swept the Wizards with a little extra offense? If Melo were inserted into the Bulls line up over MDJ and a 80% Rose was starting instead of Kirk, who wouldn't have the Bulls favored to come out of the East?

I don't think Melo is a stupid man, if he wants to win, its the Bulls or maybe the Rockets. If he wants money (not stupid either, just not a winning attitude) HELLLLLLOOOOO NYC.

And as to:

Scalabrine wrote:the Bulls wont have enough money for Melo so it doesnt matter

The Bulls have three ways to get Melo. S&T; or Amnesty Boozer, Dump Picks, trade MDJ and Snell which frees up 18.5 Million; or Amnesty Boozer, Trade Taj, Dump a pick or two, Trade MDJ which frees up 19.5-20 Million depending on which pieces.

Melo would have to take a slight paycut, not much.
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#13 » by islanders11040 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:39 pm

Idk how all of u can think that bulls playoffs have no bearing on melo decision. and someone thinks that bulls getting whopped would increase there chances cause melo wants to be a savior?!?!?! LMAO. He knows this is his last chance of shaping a legacy this offseason and its a real important year. Melo doesnt wanna carry a whole offense by himself cause hes seen how that turns out. Bulls offense has looked inept so far this playoffs. He calls players like lebron smart for team up with other stars. He doesnt wanna go into situation where he wont have much help offensively. Can u rely on Rose coming back healthy? one of the things we have to wait and see what melo decides.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#14 » by red96 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:41 pm

I don't think it really makes that much of a difference. I don't see why everyone so surprised that the Bulls are going down in the 1st round to the Wizards. They're the 13th best team in the league this year at best. The Bulls are a mediocre team that's great defensively and poor offensively. Melo still would fill Chicago's biggest need and make them much better.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#15 » by Effigy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:41 pm

It helps if anything. The Bulls badly need a scorer. You add Melo and a healthy Rose (I haven't given up) and that team is going to be a true contender.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#16 » by Andi Obst » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:03 pm

I don't think it does, but I don't understand why so many people think it helps.

Why would it help that he sees how bad we are without him?
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#17 » by loserX » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Who are the other teams currently in Melo contention? Seems like the Bulls are still better than most of them, so I doubt it has that big an effect.
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 561

Post#18 » by MMyhre » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:11 pm

You can see their great defense and superb -> role players <- who never quit on plays but lack offensive touch -> Add in Melo / Rose aka proven scorers/stars = Top 3 team at least. I can't see it going wrong and tbh I was surprised LeBron ditched Bulls for Heat. Didn't wanna be like Mike I guess but still, damn the Bulls just need that one piece but somehow can't get it... Good for us though!
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#19 » by Andi Obst » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Scalabrine wrote:the Bulls wont have enough money for Melo so it doesnt matter

Yeah, there is so much talking about Melo coming to Chicago and nobody has realized that the Bulls won't have enough money to sign him.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,396

Post#20 » by Forbes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:15 pm

I doubt Melo is really considering the Bulls. There's too much in question. Rose's health is now an issue that you just can't overlook. A Rose/Melo tandem sounds good but how far can you go without another star. At the end of the day the main obstacle is Miami. The Bull normally give Miami quite a challenge even without Rose. But together I doubt it's enough in a 7 game series.

Melo is just looking to be courted and have the free agency hot topic experience.

Return to The General Board